Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 143575 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2450 on: June 25, 2023, 11:27:35 AM »
The last two are pretty good albums. I prefer A View, as it is a bit on the longer/proggier side and there's THAT epic :metal but DOT is very solid too, just a bit shorter/concise and heavier.

As for The Astonishing, I personally enjoy it a lot, but it's definitely not for everybody :P It's their most divisive album, for sure.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2451 on: June 25, 2023, 12:11:51 PM »
I was at work and the other guy had Pandora playing and a song came on I knew was DT but oddly couldn't place it for a few seconds. I thought "Wow, this sounds so exciting and fresh" and realized it was Transcending Time. It felt odd thinking about a DT song out of the blue, as I never hear them without intentionally putting an album on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2452 on: June 25, 2023, 01:25:47 PM »
my 2 cents is that Distance and View are pretty similar to each other stylistically and more like the self titled than A Dramatic Turn of Events is. If you like one you'll probably like the other. The main difference between them is song length and View is a little darker front to back.

I think Distance has higher highs (Barstool, Out of Reach, Pale Blue Dot, most of Wit's End minus the God awful chorus) but View is more consistent throughout. Distance gets as high as 10/10 a few times and has more than 1 great guitar solo on the album. It is more like DT12 than View is.

I don't think View has any standout guitar solos, which is the first time in a long time that has happened on a DT album...Astonishing aside.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2453 on: June 25, 2023, 06:46:17 PM »

I don't think View has any standout guitar solos
   :mehlin
View has standout guitar solos on every song, especially the title track! 

You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #2454 on: June 25, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
Jeez, I would say the guitar solos on A View are pretty amazing. Even The Alien, which is probably one of the weaker songs of the album for me has that great classic petrucci solo at the beginning and end.

• PR permission
« Reply #2455 on: June 25, 2023, 07:40:29 PM »
they're fine I just meant they're not the best of the best. Every album since SC has had at least one amazing solo. I am not hearing one on View that's up there with say Best of Times, Breaking All Illusions, Behind the Veil, etc

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2456 on: June 25, 2023, 07:40:34 PM »
Jeez, I would say the guitar solos on A View are pretty amazing. Even The Alien, which is probably one of the weaker songs of the album for me has that great classic petrucci solo at the beginning and end.

I was so glad we got those solos. They reminded me of the ones in ITPOE pt. 1. Those solos are what I really love about Petrucci. Same reason why I love At Wits End because of his melodic solos.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline NoFred

« Reply #2457 on: June 25, 2023, 08:07:27 PM »
The Alien is a remarkable song, initial music idea from MM and lyrics by JLB, then naturally JP and JR filled in the rest… not the best song but a true team effort. Kind of glad it got them their Grammy.

I hear D/T front to back, i.e. riff first, and A View back to front, i.e. rhythm first. It’s still early, but they complement each other so well in that aspect, plus song composition (length) and production, that these end up as their top two second-half-era albums. At least to my ears they are.

• PR permission
« Reply #2458 on: June 25, 2023, 08:27:30 PM »
The Alien is a remarkable song, initial music idea from MM and lyrics by JLB, then naturally JP and JR filled in the rest… not the best song but a true team effort. Kind of glad it got them their Grammy.

I hear D/T front to back, i.e. riff first, and A View back to front, i.e. rhythm first. It’s still early, but they complement each other so well in that aspect, plus song composition (length) and production, that these end up as their top two second-half-era albums. At least to my ears they are.

Agreed on Alien- it is pretty damn good and not even my top 3 on the album.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2459 on: June 26, 2023, 06:15:59 AM »
they're fine I just meant they're not the best of the best. Every album since SC has had at least one amazing solo. I am not hearing one on View that's up there with say Best of Times, Breaking All Illusions, Behind the Veil, etc
Awaken the Master has a guitar solo similar to Behind the Veil,  also a little bit in Sleeping Giant. Those guitar solos during the middle section of AVFTTOTW are every bit tasty as Breaking All Illusions.  We could start a whole new thread on everyone's favorite JP solos.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

• PR permission
« Reply #2460 on: June 26, 2023, 08:05:55 AM »
Awaken the Master has a guitar solo similar to Behind the Veil,  also a little bit in Sleeping Giant. Those guitar solos during the middle section of AVFTTOTW are every bit tasty as Breaking All Illusions.  We could start a whole new thread on everyone's favorite JP solos.   :coolio

Done. Brilliant suggestion  ;)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2461 on: June 26, 2023, 08:28:55 AM »
Thanks Kev!

After ADTOE and the self-titled I just stopped caring for the direction they were heading. But now that I am old, I find myself getting the DT itch again, so why not check out some of the newer stuff.
In my opinion, the main selling point of AVFTTOTW is how great it sounds. I've never considered DT to be at the cutting edge of rock production, and some of their albums even sound kind of bad to my ears, but this album is an absolute treat, especially if you're willing to pony up for the 5.1 mix. It is a truly mind-blowing sonic experience.

I also think that AVFTTOTW feels the closest to a Mike Portnoy album of almost anything they've done since they left. It has more long-ish songs and a few more surprising instrumental twists and turns than, say, DT13 or DOT.

Overall, my personal opinion is that AVFTTOTW is not revolutionary and if you're looking for something super surprising from DT, you're probably not going to get it. However, the band does sound like they're having a lot of fun and writing music they love. It is absolutely an album worth giving a shot. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2462 on: June 26, 2023, 08:50:47 AM »
Thanks Kev!

After ADTOE and the self-titled I just stopped caring for the direction they were heading. But now that I am old, I find myself getting the DT itch again, so why not check out some of the newer stuff.
In my opinion, the main selling point of AVFTTOTW is how great it sounds. I've never considered DT to be at the cutting edge of rock production, and some of their albums even sound kind of bad to my ears, but this album is an absolute treat, especially if you're willing to pony up for the 5.1 mix. It is a truly mind-blowing sonic experience.

A View is my favorite DT sounding record behind Awake. I hope JP stays with this same production team.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2463 on: June 26, 2023, 10:07:37 AM »
Thanks Kev!

I also think that AVFTTOTW feels the closest to a Mike Portnoy album of almost anything they've done since they left. It has more long-ish songs and a few more surprising instrumental twists and turns than, say, DT13 or DOT.

Overall, my personal opinion is that AVFTTOTW is not revolutionary and if you're looking for something super surprising from DT, you're probably not going to get it. However, the band does sound like they're having a lot of fun and writing music they love. It is absolutely an album worth giving a shot. :metal

Always appreciate your takes, thanks man!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2464 on: June 26, 2023, 05:14:59 PM »
Thanks Kev!

Agreed about the sound!  I was gonna mention it yesterday, but didn't want this to turn into a "but this DT album sounds great!" contest. But yeah, this is their best sounding album since the early 2000s.  To make a comparison, I think A Dramatic Turn of Events is probably a better overall collection of songs, but A View... sounds miles better to where it makes for a more enjoyable listen for me. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2465 on: July 06, 2023, 06:35:49 AM »
Initially I liked View quite a bit better than DoT, but nowadays I guess they're a little closer. Both extremely well-produced to my ears. If I had to make a 1-CD mix of the two it'd probably go something like this:

The Alien
Barstool Warrior
Fall Into the Light
S2N
Awaken the Master
At Wit's End or Sleeping Giant
Pale Blue Dot
A View From the Top of the World

Offline Awaken

« Reply #2466 on: July 06, 2023, 06:46:34 AM »
Thanks Kev!

Agreed about the sound!  I was gonna mention it yesterday, but didn't want this to turn into a "but this DT album sounds great!" contest. But yeah, this is their best sounding album since the early 2000s.  To make a comparison, I think A Dramatic Turn of Events is probably a better overall collection of songs, but A View... sounds miles better to where it makes for a more enjoyable listen for me.

A Dramatic Turn of Events w A View's production would be an amazing Lost not Forgotten release (or label re-release, whatever).  I would pre-order right now, take my money.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #2467 on: July 06, 2023, 10:15:00 AM »
More than ADTOE, I think the self-titled deserves a better treatment, like Vapor Trails by Rush, with a full remix (could be made either by Jimmy T, Andy Sneap, Nolly Getgood or Jens Bogren *wishful thinking*) - fun fact, Vapor Trails was remixed by Richard Chycki, who made a mess in DT12 (probably following what JP had in mind during that time).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2468 on: July 06, 2023, 11:18:55 AM »
I’d love for ADTOE and TA to get the production of the last 2, but I’m fine with the self-titled as is besides the snare. Great meaty rhythm tone and Myung is very present.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2469 on: July 06, 2023, 02:32:13 PM »
To me, the production on TA is just fine and doesn't need any refinement.  That album must have been a absolute BEAR to mix..   🐻

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2470 on: July 06, 2023, 02:33:55 PM »
To me, the production on TA is just fine and doesn't need any refinement.  That album must have been a absolute BEAR to mix..   🐻

Yeah, I was literally listening to it today, and I have no issue with the sound.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2471 on: July 06, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »
Agreed about TA. It doesn't sound as great as their 90s albums, but was certainly an upgrade over the previous two albums with regards to the mix and sound.  I am pretty sure I'd consider ADTOE a top 5 DT album if it didn't sound so muddy, and I still want to punch whoever decided to make Mangini drums sound like he is beating on lincoln logs on DT12.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2472 on: July 06, 2023, 05:15:54 PM »

I actually agree with this.  ATC was kinda cool but standard JP.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2473 on: July 06, 2023, 05:44:54 PM »
I think TA could have had a little more bite to the rhythm guitar and maybe less of a typewriter sound on the kick drums but it’s nit-picking really. James sounds amazing on it which was the most important part.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2474 on: July 06, 2023, 05:46:44 PM »
I think TA could have had a little more bite to the rhythm guitar and maybe less of a typewriter sound on the kick drums but it’s nit-picking really. James sounds amazing on it which was the most important part.

Amen, brother!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #2475 on: July 07, 2023, 10:47:55 AM »
Since I know next to nothing about recording technology, is it actually possible to take what was recording during the ADTOE or DT12 sessions and put it out so that the mix sounds more like View or are you just kind of stuck with what you got at the time?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2476 on: July 07, 2023, 10:54:17 AM »
Since I know next to nothing about recording technology, is it actually possible to take what was recording during the ADTOE or DT12 sessions and put it out so that the mix sounds more like View or are you just kind of stuck with what you got at the time?

If those albums were recorded with bad gear or bad recording techniques (which obviously they weren't), then no, you can't really improve over a bad recording.

BUT that's not the case here at all. If the original recordings are in perfect quality and they still have them, any experienced mixing/mastering engineer could make them sound a lot different, for the good.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MrMike

« Reply #2477 on: July 07, 2023, 02:59:55 PM »
Every album since SC has had at least one amazing solo. I am not hearing one on View that's up there with say Best of Times, Breaking All Illusions, Behind the Veil, etc

I absolutely think the solo on Invisible Monster is among JP's best.  It may not be "amazing" in terms of shredding, but it's beautifully melodic and builds to a perfect conclusion.  It also has that 'song within a song' quality to it that I love.

All depends on one's criteria for a great solo, I guess.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2478 on: July 08, 2023, 12:55:05 AM »
I even like the solo in Transcending Time.  The super fast shredding part makes me laugh everytime because it's so random.   :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2479 on: July 08, 2023, 11:54:10 AM »
I gave this a few listens this week, so my first 2 listens ever.

It seems like an album where they were required to make a new album. Awaken the Master was pretty cool, and maybe I need to listen a few more times, but I know DT really well and it's hard to see any more of this sticking. It's missing the personality that made DT amazing up to ADTOE or the s/t.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2480 on: July 08, 2023, 02:33:36 PM »
If those albums were recorded with bad gear or bad recording techniques (which obviously they weren't), then no, you can't really improve over a bad recording.
In this day and age of AI and everything remotely associated with it, even bad gear probably won't be the problem it used to be, especially if the multi-track original recordings are available. It's only if the recording techniques are bad that I could see that being more of a problem, and even then, I'd imagine at least some of that could be resolved with what's out there now and what is likely to come in the future.

I gave this a few listens this week, so my first 2 listens ever.

It seems like an album where they were required to make a new album. Awaken the Master was pretty cool, and maybe I need to listen a few more times, but I know DT really well and it's hard to see any more of this sticking. It's missing the personality that made DT amazing up to ADTOE or the s/t.
Honestly, I'd say give AVFtTotW a few more tries. The first couple times I listened to it, it fell flat for me. I didn't really like it at all. But after a few more listens, it clicked, and now I feel it's their best MM-era album! So don't give up on it just yet.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2481 on: July 08, 2023, 03:48:56 PM »
I'm going to keep it in rotation and try some more next week.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2482 on: July 08, 2023, 03:53:18 PM »
I think it's a great album. It's thick, dense, technical, yet still melodic, and every sing is endearing.
It does take a few listens to wade through everything, especially a song like Sleeping Giant.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2483 on: July 08, 2023, 04:46:42 PM »
I think it's a great album. It's thick, dense, technical, yet still melodic, and every sing is endearing.
It does take a few listens to wade through everything, especially a song like Sleeping Giant.

I like it a lot more than Distance Over Time.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2484 on: July 08, 2023, 05:22:19 PM »

I like it a lot more than Distance Over Time.

So do I easily, and there's a lot on Distance Over Time that I like.