Author Topic: Sucal's daul roulette v6 - POST-ROULETTE UPDATE FOR R1!!!!!!  (Read 20883 times)

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Sucal's daul roulette v6 - FINAL ROUND ONGOING!!!!1!!
« Reply #1050 on: April 08, 2024, 08:36:40 PM »
I think I've got a clear favorite entry, but there's still plenty of chance for the others to grow on me. This is gonna be very interesting :corn :corn :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1051 on: April 09, 2024, 02:11:45 PM »
 :hat

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1052 on: April 13, 2024, 04:58:52 PM »
Seems you guys sent me the most emotive tracks for this round in particular, lots of feels here. Some entries have quite grown on me, so I'm happy with how things are turning out.

Results tomorrow.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1053 on: April 13, 2024, 05:00:02 PM »
May the best feels win!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1054 on: April 14, 2024, 02:31:18 AM »

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1055 on: April 17, 2024, 10:01:50 AM »
:corn

Also I just realized that the "I know love is just a chemical" line from American Candy works really well with My Chemical Romance also being sent this round. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1056 on: April 19, 2024, 04:15:56 AM »
When you said tomorrow, that was like an Indi tomorrow?

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: April 19, 2024, 02:35:17 PM »
:neverusethis:

Tbh these last few days have been weird, as I've felt exhausted physically even though mentally I'm more than fine (by now). I'll try to have results soon, don't worry, I'm not gonna pull a Puppies on ya ;D

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1058 on: April 23, 2024, 10:42:50 AM »

Tbh these last few days have been weird, as I've felt exhausted physically even though mentally I'm more than fine (by now). I'll try to have results soon, don't worry, I'm not gonna pull a Puppies on ya ;D

Hope you're feeling better dude. I've got the big ol' popcorn, but whenever you're ready.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: April 24, 2024, 07:15:12 PM »
I'm doing fine now, and for some reason I'm writing results rn wtf. I've already finished yours and I'm doing ariich's (going in the order I loaded them up in Obsidian).

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Sucal's daul roulette v6 - VERY :SOOON:!!!!!1!!!!
« Reply #1060 on: April 24, 2024, 07:19:37 PM »
You might have them up before Indi's.   :biggrin:

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: April 24, 2024, 07:34:27 PM »

Ok ariich done, now halfway through Buddy. Gotta say, you all guys sent me some amazing music not just throughout the roulette, but on this particular round - I think this might be your finest choice of songs for the whole thing, all 3 of you.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: April 24, 2024, 07:56:03 PM »
twosuitsluke
My Chemical Romance - Disenchanted

This has been quite the grower for me, as I had initially thought it was a nice track but wasn't connecting with it on an emotional level. Now I think I do, and damn, what a tune, packed with so much emotion and feeling - I particularly love the wailings at 3:30, so touching. Although the production is bricked to death, I can still feel the instruments just fine for the most part, and the mix of heavy guitars with acoustic ones works quite well. Lyrics are pretty heartfelt and moving, which might come to a surprise to me since I had always dismissed these emo bands as not having good lyricism.
So, all in all, a great song, only to go into...

My Chemical Romance - Famous Last Words

...this. I've got to preface this though, by saying that, some days ago, when listening to this out loud, something changed on me.
I was probably editing some photos while jamming this round's playlist, and I began to pick up on the lyrics. In particular the lines "I am not afraid to keep on living", and "Nothing you can say can stop me going home" - I had been reflecting lately on what home means, and was tasked with finding 3 ways to go back home. And, in ways I don't understand, many things just clicked in place, as one of the answers emerged before me: gratitude.
I've had a rough time since my grandfather passed away almost a year ago, as I was making a photo project about him, and although I had it clear that I wanted to make it a book not about grief but as a celebration of his persona, I couldn't look at pictures of him without feeling deeply nostalgic. I still can't believe he's not here, but, somehow, listening to this song, it made me realize that gratitude is the way forward. I know it's quite a tangential thing, and it might not have anything to do with what the song even is about, but it happened. Now I'm trying to apply this to my day to day life, and it's been helping a lot. So, heh, thanks for this, man.
Oh, so about the song...
Damn, an even more powerful tune than the last one! I must say I absolutely adore the chorus here, but the whole thing has this sense of finality to it, of a closer to a story (I haven't looked up what this album is about). That section right in the middle of the song, before the breakdown, it's quite intense and I love it, but then it begins building up and the lyrics start hitting home, hard. Like, real hard, and it just makes for a very climatic and chilling ending. Wow.
I never had an emo phase growing up - I jumped straight into prog and wacky stuff, but it was always the most moving music that I kept coming back to, and these days, that remains as true as ever. I genuinely think this is one of the best things I've ever received in a roulette, and I'm actually glad I procrastinated took some time off, else this might have not grown on me like it did. Seems you really left your best for last, huh ;)

Buddyhunter1
death's dynamic shroud - American Candy

Love how this song just goes straight into the nostalgic, videogame-y synths, and keeps that same vibe throughout the whole thing despite changing of sounds quite a bit. In particular I love the chorus here, filled with much emotion, and then the sax is just awesome. This track has a gazillion layers of stuff going on at once, and never gets boring at all. I don't understand how this is just track 2 instead of the album closer, but I guess it must make more sense in context - it's just too intense for that placement.
Although I loved this from the first listen, I must say it reaaaally ended up growing on me a bit more and I think this is your best submission. Just a magnificent song, and can't wait to delve more into this group, as I had dismissed them as a boring vaporwave act.

death's dynamic shroud - Infinite Staralgia

A great song here, kinda reminds me of Beach House but actually interesting ;D . Lovely atmosphere, and although it remains fairly same-y throughout the whole thing, it slowly adds up new sounds and keeps it super hypnotic and emotional. Really lovely stuff.
I've taken a look at this act's RYM page and what in the name of fuck how do they have 58 albums :lol . Well, I guess you're my official guide to them now, what should I listen to, besides the albums these songs come from?

ariich
Nellie McKay - There You Are In Me

This is a pretty intriguing song, with a pretty epic feel to it and some sad lyrics. I love the piano and the vocal delivery, and just as it was building up momentum, it went back down, and ended WTF. It's less than 3 mins long, and although quite intense, I really wanted to hear more!

Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

Yet another very heartfelt and emotional song, about an old relationship I think. I love the delicate guitar layering, the subtle synths, and just the whole vibe of this - it exudes sadness and melancholy. Wonderful lyrics too. I haven't got much else to say, other than I'm looking forward to checking this artist out more now, as I don't think I've ever listened to her before.

Scoreboard
Buddyhunter1   63.25
twosuitsluke   62.75
ariich   60.75

Well, thanks for playing everyone! This was a great roulette, despite the long-ass time it took me to complete each round, thanks for bearing with me :lol . Got loads of stuff to check out now, and I'll begin right now, so keep an eye on here, as I'll update this thread with what I delve into. Oh, and of course...

:2metal: :2metal: :2metal: CONGRATS BUDDY :2metal: :2metal: :2metal:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 08:24:23 PM by Sacul »

Offline HOF

Congrats Buddy!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
God damn, when I saw Luke's scores I thought it was over, but I guess I knocked it out of the park too! DDS didn't fail me. :biggrin:

Thanks for running this, playing in your roulettes is always fun, and I'm not just saying that because I've won two of them in a row. :neverusethis: Can't wait to have you in my upcoming one, maybe this is your chance to actually win and not blow it at the last minute? ;)

This track has a gazillion layers of stuff going on at once, and never gets boring at all. I don't understand how this is just track 2 instead of the album closer, but I guess it must make more sense in context - it's just too intense for that placement.

Oh believe me, once you hear the actual closer to that album, you'll know why. :lol I was originally going to send it as the second song but decided against it because I thought it might be a bit too much, especially outside of the context of the album - it's a fucking monolith of layers and sound. That's why I love the album so much, the guy behind it has gone on record saying that his direction for it was to make it his most layered, indulgent, and dense album ever, and yeah, it certainly is that. Thankfully they decided to put the whole album on YouTube, so you don't even need to ask me for the files any more!

Offline twosuitsluke

God damn, when I saw Luke's scores I thought it was over, but I guess I knocked it out of the park too! DDS didn't fail me. :biggrin:

You and me both! I was so damn confident that MCR would win me the crown. Congrats though dude. What a close run thing.

Thanks for having me Sacul, this was a great roulette and it is a great consolation prize knowing that I sent you a song that helped you process and get through a tough time :heart

I know you've been up against it for the last year or so, and you've had some struggles, so knowing I sent you some music that helped in some small way is comforting. I'm sure you will love The Black Parade when you get to it, it's close to a flawless album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i probably should listen to the recent dds albums but they put out SO MUCH it's hard to keep up lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Congrats Buddy, very well deserved!

Glad you liked those songs Lucas, I definitely recommend both artists. I know what you mean about the Nellie McKay song (and keep in mind her stuff is very varied and not much sounds like this, a lot of it is more... jazzy piano pop I guess?). But I also think it works really to make this intense emotional statement in a concise and punchy way. I think one of the early roulettes years ago had a "mini epic" round for songs under 3 minutes and I scored well with that one.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
i probably should listen to the recent dds albums but they put out SO MUCH it's hard to keep up lol

Yeah, "most recent" could be like what, how many albums maximum? :lol Though most of it isn't even available publicly. And even though I have access to everything even I don't bother listening to every new album as it comes out.

Though for anyone looking to check them out more, my three favorite albums by them are now American Candy, Transcendence Bot, and Midnight Tangerine, and all of those are either on streaming or on YouTube.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Congratulations Buddy!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni

Thanks for running this, playing in your roulettes is always fun, and I'm not just saying that because I've won two of them in a row. :neverusethis: Can't wait to have you in my upcoming one, maybe this is your chance to actually win and not blow it at the last minute? ;)
It's so over, we're so back.

Thanks for playing! Now I'll have you as my personal music recommendation guru know imma def play on that roulette soon.

You and me both! I was so damn confident that MCR would win me the crown. Congrats though dude. What a close run thing.

Thanks for having me Sacul, this was a great roulette and it is a great consolation prize knowing that I sent you a song that helped you process and get through a tough time :heart

I know you've been up against it for the last year or so, and you've had some struggles, so knowing I sent you some music that helped in some small way is comforting. I'm sure you will love The Black Parade when you get to it, it's close to a flawless album.
Thanks to you! Dunno how you managed to find so many great tracks amongst our diverging tastes, but I'm glad you did. And thanks for the MCR songs, definitely.

Glad you liked those songs Lucas, I definitely recommend both artists. I know what you mean about the Nellie McKay song (and keep in mind her stuff is very varied and not much sounds like this, a lot of it is more... jazzy piano pop I guess?). But I also think it works really to make this intense emotional statement in a concise and punchy way. I think one of the early roulettes years ago had a "mini epic" round for songs under 3 minutes and I scored well with that one.
Nice, I'll def check those out!

Though for anyone looking to check them out more, my three favorite albums by them are now American Candy, Transcendence Bot, and Midnight Tangerine, and all of those are either on streaming or on YouTube.
I'll keep an eye on those :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
listened to american candy this morning and

yeah i don't get it  :lol

very pleasant but there is like, NO substance here at all and being able to recognize so many of the samples here was incredibly distracting the whole way through :lol not necessarily bad but if this is what RYM is calling the 8th best album of 2024 then RYMers have really shallow taste lol. i never take the RYM charts all that seriously but

i'm listening to the You Like Music songs on YT rn tho and this one seems WAY more up my alley so i'm kinda annoyed they don't have the full thing up anywhere  :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
not necessarily bad but if this is what RYM is calling the 8th best album of 2024 then RYMers have really shallow taste lol.

It's MY favorite album of the year so far miss, so I appreciate the personal attack. :loser:

i'm listening to the You Like Music songs on YT rn tho and this one seems WAY more up my alley so i'm kinda annoyed they don't have the full thing up anywhere  :lol

I've been listening to that one too recently and yeah it's very chaotic. :lol Sits right on the line of being actively annoying at times but it also goes pretty fucking hard. Keith's albums usually have pretty wild production and a lot of energy, and he doesn't really do the slowed down, obvious samples stuff that much. Definitely the least traditionally-vaporwave of the three members.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you're gonna hate having me in your next roulette, i'm sure  :corn
i'm only calling it how i feel about it. it's like 6/10-core idkkk

also my AOTY is insane person music for queer furries so like, i ain't winning any friends with that one lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train

As long as you don't exclusively send pop music you should be fine. :biggrin: I'll put you on the list and you can drop out if it's too gimmicky for you. :neverusethis:

• DTF.org Member
i'm only calling it how i feel about it. it's like 6/10-core idkkk

also my AOTY is insane person music for queer furries so like, i ain't winning any friends with that one lol
I mean, I basically don't get the top 3 albums on the RYM 2024 charts right now. I've sampled it all and it's just boring with little to no good song writing...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i will give RYM credit that they've been pretty on top of hardcore releases this year, i heard frail body and then saw it shoot to near the top of the charts the week after, heavenly blue (which i admittedly didn't love) doing well, new seeyouspacecowboy getting a fairly modest reception tho which is a shame, i thought it was fun

• DTF.org Member
i will give RYM credit that they've been pretty on top of hardcore releases this year, i heard frail body and then saw it shoot to near the top of the charts the week after, heavenly blue (which i admittedly didn't love) doing well, new seeyouspacecowboy getting a fairly modest reception tho which is a shame, i thought it was fun
That new Frail Body is really good. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline twosuitsluke

New Frail Body was ok, I preferred the new SeeYouSpaceCowboy but even that is sat relatively low on my overall rankings of the year so far. I was pretty disappointed with the new Eidola as well.

The best Post-Hardcore release of the year for me so far is the new Greyhaven EP.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
i tapped out of eidola like three songs in but i'm long past that sound anyways so ehh

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Roulette update: Round 1

Mahavishnu Orchestra
Birds of Fire

I tried, but seems this band isn't quite for me - your songs are still awesome, luke, but I'm not vibing that much with the rest of the record I'm afraid. Most songs just feel like a King Crimson instrumental section, but less exciting.

Various Artists
Homestuck Vol. 9

Since it's a compilation, it's certainly quite varied and a lot to digest - it's almost 3 hours long :lol. Dunno if I'm missing something from lacking the original context for these (as I've never delved into Homestuck), but I'm enjoying these regardless.

Pete Yorn
Musicforthemorningafter

Hmnnn it's got that early 2000s sound I like, nice vibes, but it also feels very 'murican in the vocal melodies, something that I've never been able to dig. I don't think it's a matter of language, as many UK artists construct such melodies in ways I like a lot more, but I'm still unable to point out exactly what that 'murican feel is, on a technical level. Will revisit soon anyway.

Blanck Mass
Animated Violence Mild

I wasn't that big on the dog album, but this one slaps for certain. Quite an interesting take on Industrial music, with very dense layers but never getting boring. Ok maybe it gets a little repetitive towards the end, not by much. Quite a bit to digest but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Jakko M. Jakszyk
Secrets & Lies

Very atmospheric and lush vibe, I'm a bit torn between liking it and not finding most songs that memorable tbh. Your pick is certainly the highlight for me, so I'll keep delving a bit to see what else I can find here.

The The
Soul Mining

Seems that being sent the best song of each album is a common theme here :lol. It's a fun pop record indeed and I'm still digesting it, so I'll keep giving it a few plays as it feels promising.

Ok I'll move on to round 2 soon, which has the largest amount of records to check out (12!), so that'll take me some time.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Sucal's daul roulette v6 - ROULETTE UPDATE FOR R1!!!!!!
« Reply #1082 on: May 01, 2024, 06:50:40 PM »
I like the dog album and Animated Violence Mild about the same to be honest, though the latter would be the clear victor for me if the last couple songs were better. But it's still great, no misses in the first four songs. :metal

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sucal's daul roulette v6 - ROULETTE UPDATE FOR R1!!!!!!
« Reply #1083 on: May 03, 2024, 10:21:46 AM »
But it's still great, no misses in the first four songs. :metal
Indeed :metal