Author Topic: The Ask black_floyd Thread (page 42)  (Read 125605 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: The Ask alirocker08 Thread (page 20)
« Reply #805 on: July 28, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
Hmm, difficult question, can it be a fictional character?
Of course. Fictional characters are people too :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
Re: The Ask alirocker08 Thread (page 20)
« Reply #806 on: July 28, 2012, 10:28:33 AM »
Then Harley Quinn, I'm on a Batman kick at the moment and I figure she'd be great as long as she's not thinking about the Joker. She can teach me how to do back flips and cartwheels and then we'll go buy (or, in her case, steal) a shit tonne of sweets. She seems like a girl who loves her crazy ass sweets.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: The Ask TempusVox Thread (page 24)
« Reply #807 on: July 29, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
Up this week:  TempusVox!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #808 on: July 29, 2012, 09:38:16 PM »
TV, you know the first question anyone is going to ask, right?

That's right.  Ginger or Mary Ann?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #809 on: July 29, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
Can you tell us the Vietnam Vet story again?  I've heard about it so it must be epic, but it was before my time here as well as many other peoples.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #810 on: July 30, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »
What is it that makes you a storm voice?
Curry, mexican or pie: which is your favourite of these three?
What is your favourite complex number?
What are your opinions on sourdough bread?
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #811 on: July 30, 2012, 05:31:14 AM »
Any regrets?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: July 30, 2012, 05:36:45 AM »
Was it worth it?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #813 on: July 30, 2012, 06:39:15 AM »
Who are you?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #814 on: July 30, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
When are you going to stop going to conventions and stuff and just sit down and finish writing the ASoIaF series?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:02:52 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #815 on: July 31, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »
TV, what life events molded you into the person you are today as well as lead you down the path to being a writer?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #816 on: July 31, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »
Did you ever feel any guilt when beating up on my poor Golden Bears all those years? Any remorse?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: July 31, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
Why did you choose UW?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #818 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Are you going to answer any of these questions? :neverusethis:

j/k, but you do know that the internet is serious business :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #819 on: July 31, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
I was just noticing how TempusVox has tons of questions but hasn't answered any, meanwhile I'm here every day and no one is asking me any questions. :neverusethis:

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #820 on: July 31, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »
TV, you know the first question anyone is going to ask, right?

That's right.  Ginger or Mary Ann?

Both...I just roll like that. All three of us...together. Would have been beautiful.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #821 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
Can you tell us the Vietnam Vet story again?  I've heard about it so it must be epic, but it was before my time here as well as many other peoples.

Surely it's here somewhere. It's a little long, and probably boring now for most people. It involved a threesome with my best friend, a drunk girl, and her crazy Viet Nam Vet room mate. I don't know if he really actually served in Viet Nam, but he looked a lot like he was still there in his mind. Picture Walken's character "Nick" from the Deer Hunter, after he'd been fucked with in the camp, but with a huge beer gut, and long hair and beard. Dressed all in camo, he happened to walk out of a room and into the living room while I was having "carnal relations" with the drunk girl on the living room floor. Until then we didn't know her room mate was there. She was mid orgasm, and I was thisclose. Apparently, he either assumed they were much more than two people just sharing an address, or he wanted to be; as he flipped out and started screaming for my friend and I, and the "fucking whore" to get out of his house! I stopped long enough to say, "Hang on man, I'm not finsished yet." The statement was so shocking, he and my friend stopped screaming at each other long enough to watch me "finish, before resuming hostilities. By then we were like the song "Gimme Three Steps". As we ran to the car, he and the girl were yelling at each other. To this day, many of my friends will bust my balls once in a while with a "Hang on man, I'm not fisnished yet."

What is it that makes you a storm voice?
Curry, mexican or pie: which is your favourite of these three?
What is your favourite complex number?
What are your opinions on sourdough bread?

1)My name does not mean "storm voice", Tempus is Latin for Time. I used to sing a looooooong time ago in a prog band called "Tempus Fugit", hence TempusVox.
2)I would say my fav is either Mexican or Pie. LOOOOOVE mexican food. Also love pie. Pumpkin and coconut cream are my favorites.
3) I dunno...probably 6+22 i
4) I find the concept of sourdough bread fascinating in that it's hard to imagine that the yeast can exist for so many decades. I always wonder though that what if a hair fell off the head of the person cultivating the yeast 150 or so years ago, and it's now been in that same batch of yeast all this time. So in essence you're eating bread contaminated by some 150 year old hair. Disgusting!

Any regrets?

I think we all have regrets as we get older. I have a few. I regret my sexual addictions and forays. I regret EVER smoking. Horrible habit. Destructive, and life changing. Wish I could take that all back. I regret not writng much earlier in life (meaning seeking that as a vocation).

Was it worth it?

It's always worth it.

Who are you?

A husband, father, and friend.  :biggrin:

When are you going to stop going to conventions and stuff and just sit down and finish writing the ASoIaF series?

When Zamettar freezes over probably.  :biggrin: I'm kidding of course...that's not me.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:08:00 PM by TempusVox »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #822 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »
TV, what life events molded you into the person you are today as well as lead you down the path to being a writer?

From a very early age, I loved to read. I have always been fascinated by the story. My mother read to me constantly she claimed before I was even born. I could read at a first grade level by age 2, and by first grade had progressed to a high school level. I started writing poetry before age 4. My first poem was called Spring.
Remember I was not quite four. Here it is in it's entirety.
Spring is a wonderful thing to me
I don't care if I'm stung by a bee. ( I had not yet been stung by a bee at that point in my life, but was "worried" about the potential experience)
I don't care if the days are cool.
I don't care if I don't get a pool. (I had asked my parents for a kiddie pool for the summer).
Spring is a wonderful thing to me
Let spring be, let spring be.

I wrote a sci-fi short story about a group of astronauts stranded on the dark side of the moon when I was in the second grade. My 2nd grade teacher Mrs. Lisherness entered it into a contest and I won honorable mention. I got a ribbon. At the time, I was fascinated by science (still am), and reading and writing. The following year I did a science project on crystal formations for our science fair. I grew crystals, studied crystals, read about crystals. I was a walking crystal expert. I was going to win for sure. A friend of mine who was in the sixth grade had braces, and he did his project on electricity. He didnt know shit about electricty. As a matter of fact I knew more about HIS topic than he did when the judges came around and asked us about our projects HOWEVER...he connected a light bulb to his braces and a battery and the light would light up, and the bastard  won first place. I won second. I was crushed. I realized then it was all about show, not substance. And as much as I LOVED science...I still do, it changed me somehow, so I stuck with writing.  :lol . I presently subscribe to over a dozen scientific magazines and journals, but the experience really changed me. I wrote as a release and for fun all through college and law school, did some magazine articles, had a few shorts published, then got really lucky.

Did you ever feel any guilt when beating up on my poor Golden Bears all those years? Any remorse?

:lol No...sorry. As much as we hated everyone else in the Pac 10 back then, USC, UCLA, and Wazzu were our biggest rivals. Personally, I hated ASU too.  :biggrin:

Why did you choose UW?

I loved the Pacific NW, and they offered me a full ride scholarship to play football.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:10:38 PM by TempusVox »

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #823 on: July 31, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »
What kinds of setbacks have you had in your career as a writer? Do you ever find that sometimes fear holds you back, or has it held you back in the past? What's your muse for creative projects, past and present?

I'm a writer myself, and often find that I'm consumed with self-doubt more than ever in my own outings. I wanted to ask.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #824 on: August 01, 2012, 02:56:36 AM »
Ah, I was getting confused with tempest.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: August 01, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »
No, TV, you don't get away that easy. You flaunt who you are and your connections and yet you won't tell us who.

Who are you?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
What is your favorite book, and who is your favorite author?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #827 on: August 01, 2012, 09:42:49 AM »
Best meal ever at a restaurant, what was it?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #828 on: August 01, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
What kinds of setbacks have you had in your career as a writer? Do you ever find that sometimes fear holds you back, or has it held you back in the past? What's your muse for creative projects, past and present?

I'm a writer myself, and often find that I'm consumed with self-doubt more than ever in my own outings. I wanted to ask.

I had set backs earlier in my career; and there are more than a few projects that I simply have loved, but others have received imperturbably. I have suffered more from a fear of success than failure. That held me back more than anything.

No, TV, you don't get away that easy. You flaunt who you are and your connections and yet you won't tell us who.
Who are you?

Flaunt? Hardly. Through the years I shared various things from time to time on this board about my life and lifestyle. On rare occassion, it was because I was excited about something that had happened or was happening in my personal life, just as EVERYONE else on this board has. Be it a new house, car, job, girlfriend. promotion at work, concert, meal, personal experience, new music, shoes, pet...whatever. Other times I tried to participate by adding to the discourse of a thread my own personal experiences. Granted I tried to do so while maintaining anonymity, but I have been raked over the coals countless times because of it. Can you imagine what would happen to me here if I announced I was Stephen King? "Oh, he thinks he's better than everybody because he fucking wrote The Stand...Well let me tell you something Mister Fancy Horror Writer, you're not all that special, so your opinion of death metal is shit; and another thing Pay Day candy bars aren't covered in chocolate asshole, so Harold couldn't have left a thumbprint in Stu's journal, so as The Trashcan Man would say, go "bumpty, bumpty, bump" yourself!"
 :(  No thanks!  :)
Lately, I hardly share anything at all that could be taken as me trying to seem uppity. God forbid.
So flaunt? No, I don't think so.
I have damn good reasons for not telling you my name that I think most everyone can appreciate. BTW- I'm not Stephen King.  :lol
But I only know the names of about three people on this board, so does it really matter?
One more thing...if it were that important to me, I'd send everyone over to my fan site. I come here to avoid that shit.

What is your favorite book, and who is your favorite author?

Tough question. I guess if I have to pick one book it would be "I Had Trouble In Getting To Solla- Sollew" by Dr. Suess. No kidding. THAT book more than any other had a profound impact on my life. When I was really little I read that book over and over again. I read it so many times then and to my son after he was born that I can recite it without needing to read it. The last stanza is "But I've bought a big bat...I'm all ready, you see; now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" That book I think defined my ability to perservere more than any other influence. It crafted in me an ability to think how I can overcome whatever obstacles are presented before me. I know, weird huh?  :lol
As for authors there are a bunch. I'd say at the top would probably be Stephen King (in my lifetime). For one thing, he's a wonderful writer, with a natural ability to create believable sympathetic characters and an unparalleled talent for evoking serious scares (aspiring horror writers should read his description of a creepy fire extinguisher in an empty hallway in The Shining. That is how it's done). I'd also add Ira Levin, Peter Straub, William Peter Blatty, Bradbury, Clarke, Asimov, Tolkien, Rand, Lovecraft, Poe, Huxley, Orwell, Crichton, Frederick Forsyth, Harper Lee, A.C. Doyle, and of course my dear friend Cormac McCarthy.

Best meal ever at a restaurant, what was it?

Another tough question. Wow, let me think about this. Can't choose just one. Here are a few.
Fish Taco's at the Sunnyside Resort in S. Lake Tahoe
Seared Beef Tenderloin at the Evening Star Cafe in Alexandria, Va. (we still own a house there about three blocks away, but when we lived there full-time I ate here every week.)
The Red Trout at Southridge Seafood in Breckenridge, Colorado
Roast Pork at the Dorchester in London
Fried Chicken, red beans and rice, and bread pudding with praline sauce at the Praline Connection in NOLA.
Pan roasted Filet at Emeril's Delmonico in NOLA.
65 Day Dry Aged NY Strip at the Precinct in Cincinnati- best steak anywhere, ever. (Okay early man may have accidentally had a better one after he first cooked with fire).
Ribs- Montgomery Inn Cincinnati- Best Ribs Anywhere. Ever. (better than early man, he didn't have bbq sauce).
Brunch- The Golden Lamb- Lebanon, Ohio, or the Grand Finale- Cincinnati, Ohio (famous for their awesome crepes)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:56:59 PM by TempusVox »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #829 on: August 01, 2012, 02:46:40 PM »
Good list, I'll have to check out the place in South Lake Tahoe next time I'm up there.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: August 01, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
"Oh, he thinks he's better than everybody because he fucking wrote The Stand...Well let me tell you something Mister Fancy Horror Writer, you're not all that special, so your opinion of death metal is shit; and another thing Pay Day candy bars aren't covered in chocolate asshole, so Harold couldn't have left a thumbprint in Stans journal, so as The Trashcan Man would say, go "bumpty, bumpty, bump" yourself!"

:lol and I think you meant Stuart?

Since King is a mutual favorite of mine, what are your personal top 5 and bottom 5 King books/stories?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #831 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
King's description of that fire extinguisher is skin-crawlingly unnerving. I'm on the verge of finishing The Shining, actually.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #832 on: August 01, 2012, 03:05:16 PM »
"Oh, he thinks he's better than everybody because he fucking wrote The Stand...Well let me tell you something Mister Fancy Horror Writer, you're not all that special, so your opinion of death metal is shit; and another thing Pay Day candy bars aren't covered in chocolate asshole, so Harold couldn't have left a thumbprint in Stans journal, so as The Trashcan Man would say, go "bumpty, bumpty, bump" yourself!"

:lol and I think you meant Stuart?

Since King is a mutual favorite of mine, what are your personal top 5 and bottom 5 King books/stories?

Sorry...typo, Stu. I meant to write Stu, came out Stan.  :lol
Top 5
1. The Stand
2. The Shining
3. Salems Lot
4. Night Shift
5. Pet Semetary

Bottom
Insomina
Geralds Game
The Cell
Regulators
From a Buick 8

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: August 01, 2012, 03:26:32 PM »
Top 5
1. The Stand
2. The Shining
3. Salems Lot
4. Night Shift
5. Pet Semetary

Bottom
Insomina
Geralds Game
The Cell
Regulators
From a Buick 8

The Stand, Shining, and Pet Sematary are in my top 5. I never got in to Salem’s Lot as much as most others it seems. I would probably add Bag of Bones and It to my top 5.

I liked Gerald’s Game, and never read Regulators, but those other 3 are toward the bottom of my King list as well.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #834 on: August 01, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
I've read several of Vonnegut's books and have really enjoyed them.  Are you familiar with his work?  If so, any favorites?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #835 on: August 01, 2012, 08:45:05 PM »
I've read several of Vonnegut's books and have really enjoyed them.  Are you familiar with his work?  If so, any favorites?

I was in a 3-way relationship for almost two years and my "girlfriends" and I had a cat I named Billy Pilgrim. "Lisa" thought that Billy was so named because of Pilgrims (ala Thanksgiving and the Puritans etc). When the relationship ended he went to live with "Angie", who let him later get flea's.  :lol Poor Billy.

About 4 years ago we had two pet frogs. My son named one Froderick FROGenstein (an homage to Young Frankenstein), and I named the other Kilgore Trout. They both died from a virus obtained after eating live crickets.  :(

I like Vonneguts gallows humor a lot. I am attracted to great humorists. One of my personal favorite story tellers is Garrison Keillor. Not as dark as KV of course, but someone I believe to be a literary genius nonetheless.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #836 on: August 01, 2012, 09:17:05 PM »
Do the mods know who you really are?
How did you come to be a mod?
How many novels have you written/had published?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #837 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:42 PM »
How does your son attract all the ladies? Judging from past stories, he sounds like quite the ladies man
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #838 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18:32 PM »
Dear Mr Henshaw... :D

jingle.boy, I can answer the first question for you, at least until two years ago when I was demodded, I had no idea who he was.  He hasn't told me privately, and I totally understand that. 

So now on to my questions.
1. So, have my requests for me to have secondary mod access restored been heard?  If so, what results?
2. What type of writings do you do?  If fiction, what style?  If nonfiction, what category?
3. What book not written by you would you recommend to me?  I need motivation to start reading again, and while I intend to read The Hobbit again before the movie comes out, my Tolkien books are at my parents and I'm not buying them again...

BTW Thanks for the tip on the hotel and the restaurant, they were both great... best eggs I have ever had :)
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: August 01, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
charlie dominici is on this board and no doubt he's more famous here than you.

I don't see any reason for the secrecy