23 (23.5%)
Alright
15 (15.3%)
Not very good
2 (2%)
Bad
3 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: Do you like Lie?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Do you like Lie?
« on: April 22, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »
Inspired by the YNM debate in the other thread and the recent TDEN poll, I wanted to start a thread like this to see what people think about this song. Having just two options isn't enough IMO, so I give you five to choose from.

I personally think Lie is a kickass song and it absolutely rocks live :metal I even love the lyrics, but you have to remember that I'm a KevMo fanboy :lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Re: Do you like Lie?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »
Gonna go with Pretty Good. Not my favourite track, certainly one I listen too a fair bit.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
I personally think Lie is a kickass song and it absolutely rocks live :metal I even love the lyrics, but you have to remember that I'm a KevMo fanboy :lol

I'm not a K-Mo fanboy, but I still think the lyrics are awesome, and Lie is my favorite song on the album!  :metal
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
It kicks so much ass. Sick guitar solo at the end, really cool bassline underneath it too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:51:36 PM »
REALLY good.  So glad they included it this tour.  I've been wanting to hear it and The Mirror (as well as a good version of Scarred) forever.  Really cool that I got my three favorite songs from Awake this tour.  Actually, other than Innocense Faded, I have now seen every song from Awake performed live.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
REALLY good.  So glad they included it this tour.  I've been wanting to hear it and The Mirror (as well as a good version of Scarred) forever.  Really cool that I got my three favorite songs from Awake this tour.  Actually, other than Innocense Faded, I have now seen every song from Awake performed live.

I just wanted to have a video recording of it, so thanks to the Boston show, it will finally happen.

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
My least favourite song on my favourite DT album, but it's still damn good.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
By the way, every set of lyrics I see for this song has "did lie" in brackets during the chorus, but no matter how much I listen to the song, I can never hear it. Is that really in there?

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
Fucking loooooove Lie! Its balls out heavy metal the way it should be. Huge energy in the live show too, I dare you not to sing a long with the chorus.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
One of my least favorite on Awake, but that means it's still pretty damn good.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
The Mirror    and Lie back to back .. some of the most amazing moments of DT history.. period.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
Awesome song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Juular

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »
I really like it these days. When it was released, I thought they were trying a little too hard to be heavy. (I'm looking at you, The Dark Eternal Night)

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
I liked it a lot more when I first heard Awake and considered it my favorite off the album, but that luster has worn off a bit. It's still a great song though so I went with "Pretty good". It kicks loads of ass and the riffs man. :metal

Offline krands85

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 03:59:00 PM »
It's alright. Fairly enjoyable song, but nothing special by DT's standards. There are a few songs on Awake alone that are much better, but it works well following The Mirror.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 04:17:45 PM »
Freakin' incredible song. And if I'm interoperating the lyrics correctly, I LOVE the message.. but who knows; I very well might not be. "She comes in apparently to fill the void"

And the guitar solo  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy  :o The whole song is so integrated!!! And for anyone who hasn't noticed- The riff going on during "I won't, I swear I won't" is the same exact riff going on during "make your amends, look in the mirror my"

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »
1st Option,i love all Awake.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
I love Lie. Voted "Awesome." Cheesy lyrics, but it fits the song 100%. AMAZING guitar solos, I never really see them recognized much. I think they're some of Petrucci's best shred-solos.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »
Voted "pretty good".  Loved seeing it along with The Mirror on the current tour.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
Awesome. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
Awesome.  Not my favorite awake song, but still a great song and really fun live.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 05:10:59 PM »
I kind of credit Mirror/Lie as turning me from a casual fan into a hardcore fan.  It was the first song(s) that stood out and made me rabidly want to seek out more. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 05:37:50 PM »
I'm the one vote for "not very good"....but I'll admit that I'm being a bit harsh and I now wish I could change it.

Like many have said, it is my least favorite from the Awake album, and it was a *HORRIBLE* choice for a radio single.    Casual rock radio listeners were waiting to see if they they could repeat the success of Pull Me Under with there (in most people's perceptions) "sophomore effort".    Lie was a huge disappointment on that level, and I can't for the life of me picture what they were thinking by choosing this song as the lead off single.    CiaW (which I believe was the 3rd single?) is much "catchier" to my ears...as is The Mirror.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
...it was a *HORRIBLE* choice for a radio single.    Casual rock radio listeners were waiting to see if they they could repeat the success of Pull Me Under with there (in most people's perceptions) "sophomore effort".    Lie was a huge disappointment on that level, and I can't for the life of me picture what they were thinking by choosing this song as the lead off single.    CiaW (which I believe was the 3rd single?) is much "catchier" to my ears...as is The Mirror.   

I get not liking it, but I do not understand your logic regarding singles at all.  Could not disagree more.  Awake's failure to post high sales numbers or a high charting single was not because Lie was the wrong choice and much more to do with the change in the musical climate from 1992 to 1994.  And, IMO, The Mirror and CIAW would not have been good choices for a lead-off single.  The Mirror is too heavy for general consumption, and CIAW is just all over the place.  For a rockin' song, Lie was a great choice. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »
I get not liking it, but I do not understand your logic regarding singles at all.  Could not disagree more.  Awake's failure to post high sales numbers or a high charting single was not because Lie was the wrong choice and much more to do with the change in the musical climate from 1992 to 1994.  And, IMO, The Mirror and CIAW would not have been good choices for a lead-off single.  The Mirror is too heavy for general consumption, and CIAW is just all over the place.  For a rockin' song, Lie was a great choice. 

I agree with all of this.

Besides, you can say that PMU is a better song, but what most casual audience got at the time was the 4 minute cut up single version which I would never put above lie. I don't know if the radio played the full version or not, but MTV was still the big exposure platform at the time, and those audiences definitely did not get the true representation of Pull Me Under.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 06:09:48 PM »
Love the song and the Video.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Very fun song on the album and it DESTROYS live. That was the most energetic part of their show in Riverside. The chorus is powerful and the entire instrumental from the "tell your stepfather I said so" part through the end is one of the most badass parts of the album.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 07:57:20 PM »
It's probably the second worst song on Awake but it's still alright. I do think it's riffs and solo should have stayed with the original version of The Mirror, though. That would've been one epic piece.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:39:54 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 08:15:36 PM »
Lie by itself = ok

Mirror / Lie = :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
It's a bad song. It's the beginning of the end for Awake. Maybe not quite bottom 10, but bottom 20.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
I was waiting for you to come in here ^
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »
One of JP's best solos. Much love for this song.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »
Voted that it's alright, but only because the last 1.5 minutes (which actually is the reprise of The Mirror) redeems it. Had it just been the radio edit (which is the actual song), I would've chosen not very good, altho I will admit to it being a rockin' track live.

Actually, other than Innocense Faded, I have now seen every song from Awake performed live.
n00b
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Love the song dearly, and for me it was one of the high points of a show that had many of them. I think I hurt myself rocking out to this one.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 10:22:12 PM »
Pretty good for me

The riffage by JP is excellent throughout but the lyrics and vocal melody leave a bit to be desired. The chorus is also so-so.

The outro solo by JP, however, to me, ranks as one of the most ferocious guitar solos ever laid down on tape. Pretty much the definition of "facemelting" and pure shred. It ranks up there in intensity with anything the likes of Dimebag or Marty Friedman have done. Speaking as a guitarist, and guitar solo enthusiast, it is simply mind blowing.