Author Topic: Fan-made alternate ending to Illumination Theory  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Zyzzyva17

Fan-made alternate ending to Illumination Theory
« on: February 26, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »
Where in this case, the fan is me.

I seem to find IT's ending underwhelming compared to some other epic endings. Not bad, but with room for improvement. So I thought up an ending that I think concludes the song more completely. It starts at a recognizable point near the end of the song and diverges from there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1ghhs7xuikg7b2/Video%20Feb%2026%2C%207%2007%2009%20PM.mov

Warning: the sound quality is honestly horrible. The intent is all there, so if you can, listen to it and imagine how it would sound with professional production. If you can't do that and are generally distracted by bad production, you may want to avoid the link altogether.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Fan-made alternate ending to Illumination Theory
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »
Also Bosk may have an issue with posting copyrighted material.

:bosk1: Just warnin' ya is all.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:56:54 PM »
Just listened to it. So basically you are reprising the orchestral part at the end? :)

It is a good attempt but I think it will not fit the structure of the song. I posted an analysis in the IT vs. TCoT thread and basically, there is some sort of reverse mirroring structure where the final section mirrors the first section. The end referencing the middle section will not make sense structurally specially as that section of the orchestral part is the pre-overture Section of the "illuminated" second half of IT. Your approach is a bit like how the Octavarium outro is composed, referencing the melody of the middle part of the song. But Octavarium is structured differently from IT.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
Also Bosk may have an issue with posting copyrighted material.

:bosk1: Just warnin' ya is all.
I don't think it can be considered as copyrighted material because it almost doesn't include IT notes, and it isn't a cover; just a reinterpretation made by him, using his own resources.
About the ending, it's great, a bit cheessy/Disney-ish but it's quite cool :tup.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure posting this is fine.  As long as someone doesn't post something from an actual DT release.  People post covers or even live bootlegs all the time. 

As for my take:  props for doing it.  Not bad.  To me it sounds too much like its trying to be an epic.  I'll take the original 

How was it recorded?  Did you just play keyboards and record it raw?  Regardless, wish i had that kind of talent to put something like that together, even if it was just for fun. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 10:14:58 PM »
Nifty ending.  Your take on the orchestral theme is clever.  Recording blows, but I can tell what you were going for.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 10:47:54 PM »
How was it recorded?  Did you just play keyboards and record it raw?  Regardless, wish i had that kind of talent to put something like that together, even if it was just for fun.

Yeah, everything is keyboard. I recorded it one track at a time, using the piano track as a timing reference for the other tracks. The actual recording is just the keyboard playing back what I recorded.

Thanks for the responses, guys.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 11:01:38 PM »
Cool job, man! However, I think the ending to Illumination Theory is perfect. It's sort of like the cigarette after a nice long bonk.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
Cool job, man! However, I think the ending to Illumination Theory is perfect. It's sort of like the cigarette after a nice long bonk.

I think for the majority of people, a cigarette would ruin a nice long bonk.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and say that was pretty creative!