Author Topic: DT "Easy" Songs  (Read 9389 times)

Offline a8ac

DT "Easy" Songs
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
I know it may sound weird for a Dt fan to ask for "simple" or "easy" songs.... But as a guitar player I've always wanted to play their music , and I can't because my guitar skills are not THAT good. I know songs like The silent man, beneath the surface, hollow years... That are fairly simple to play, but I would like songs that are more "SO ENERGY... POWAH  :metal " or more classic DT songs.. .
I would consider myself as an intermediate guitar player, and I'm able to play most parts of a song until JP plays some really fast picking or some face- melting  solo really difficult to play... So, the question is, Do you know any DT song that you like to play or  is fun to play but is not too difficult for an intermediate player like me?

Offline jakepriest

Re: DT "Easy" Songs
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »
The Mirror sounds pretty easy, but then again my guitar skills end at playing several chords.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
I suck at chords and The Mirror is annoying for me to play, aside from that it's on 7-string. Repentance is an easy song though it's also long and repetitive when you're playing it.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
Hahaha how come I never thought of that song... I think it may be because I don't really listen to awake that much, but I"ll try it out, thanks :D

Offline a8ac

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:08:38 PM »
Oh forget it, I don't have a 7-String... So I'll try repentance then... :)

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »
"Safe in the light that sorrounds me..."

;D

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:28:52 PM »
Off the top of my head, I remember learning Finally Free without much trouble. At least, the intro with the finger picking is really fun and pretty to play :) I recommend at least that part!
But for actual ENERGYPOWAH songs, The Mirror is good as said, maybe Strange Deja Vu... Now that I think about it, The Mirror is probably the only really heavy DT song where JP isn't shredding at all. It's hard to find a heavy song where he doesn't shred at least once.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline a8ac

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »
Yeah i was thinkng about strange dejavu ,and it would be awesome since scenes is my favorite album.... And finally free seems a really good option too, thanks :) and I know... Finding a heavy song without JP shredding is like ...finding Myung in a speech contest.. XD sorry I had to do it, but anyways..its really hard to find a song without those 100000000strokes per second... I guess ill have to practice more...

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
Peruvian Skies is quite easy.  Great solo too, and not difficult at all besides a few fast runs. 

Offline a8ac

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 10:06:44 PM »
Well i Haven't heard Peruvian skies yet   :biggrin: but I hope I can play it...
my list so far

1. Strange DejaVu
2. finally free
3. Peruvian Skies
4. Repentance
(I need a 7-String to play The mirror, so.. no :/ )

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
I'd definitely bump PS up to number one.  lol. 

Offline Vipmetal

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
I would say that Another day is fairly simple and On the backs of angels is another easy tune. Wither is also very simple, but it is in Bb tuning so it can be a problem.
DT fanboy from Finland

Offline a8ac

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »
I've already tried another day.. It's one of my favorite DT solos, but I just can't play those scales at that speed.....

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 10:41:36 PM »
Space Dye Vest is actually their easiest song to play on guitar, just that most people ignore it. You just have to find a good tab.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
Vacant

;)
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »
Instrumental parts and guitar solos  >:(
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:44 PM »
Well, Vacant and SDV should be easy, but I think they are more piano driven, and guitar doesn't play a major role on those songs, but I will try, and hopefully I'm wrong

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 11:06:30 PM »
Why don't you try something of IAW like Pull Me Under?

Offline a8ac

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »
I don't really know if a can play it, but from my experiences I can tell, I&W is one of the hardest albums to play on guitar....

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
Also, really, aside from a few small moments most of Lines in the Sand is surprisingly easy to play IMO. The only really tricky bits are the dissonant runs in the intro.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 11:43:35 PM »
Ohhh....Lines in the sand, ill have to see if i can play it. But if what you said is true... Then, shit.. that would be awesome   :hefdaddy

1.Peruvian Skies
2. Strange DejaVu
3. Finally free
4 Lines in the sand
5. Repentance

(Actually this list is not in order)

Offline gm5k

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:53 PM »
Repentance may not have a difficult solo as far as playing all the notes, but it'll easily expose a guitarist who doesn't have solid phrasing and vibrato.  Same for LITS and Peruvian Skies.  In this way, I disagree that they are "easy" solos. 

This can be proven by playing over a backing track without Petrucci playing along with you, and listening back to your take.  Humbling to say the least  :lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:04:47 AM by gm5k »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 12:00:03 AM »
Silent Man is just basic chords and a simple solo...
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
Hmm yeah, well by "easy" I meant a song that didn't require fast and precise alternate picking or some other advanced techniques  like most of DT songs do, but not necessarily a basic or simple song...

Offline gm5k

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 12:11:59 AM »
Hmm yeah, well by "easy" I meant a song that didn't require fast and precise alternate picking or some other advanced techniques  like most of DT songs do, but not necessarily a basic or simple song...

Right I understand where you're coming from.   Those are all great solos to learn.    Best of luck  :tup   And pay attention to that vibrato!  That and your pick attack bring the emotion  :metal

From the new album, the first solo from "Surrender to Reason" is also a great one to learn.  Also "The Bigger Picture" one is great.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:07 AM »
Thanks  ;D I will pay close attention to the vibratos :)
actually from the new album, those 2 you mentioned are my favorites...
I already know the first solo of STR (I'm trying to learn the whole song) but I will try with TBP ... the problem is that the bigger picture requires a 7-string which I do not own...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:33 AM »
Repentance may not have a difficult solo as far as playing all the notes, but it'll easily expose a guitarist who doesn't have solid phrasing and vibrato.  Same for LITS and Peruvian Skies.  In this way, I disagree that they are "easy" solos. 

This can be proven by playing over a backing track without Petrucci playing along with you, and listening back to your take.  Humbling to say the least  :lol

Easy to "play", but difficult to master. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 12:28:05 AM »
Thanks  ;D I will pay close attention to the vibratos :)
actually from the new album, those 2 you mentioned are my favorites...
I already know the first solo of STR (I'm trying to learn the whole song) but I will try with TBP ... the problem is that the bigger picture requires a 7-string which I do not own...

Just play the low notes the octave higher/fake it/add the extra 5th on power chords on the low E when needed.  Better than nothing  ;D

Easy to "play", but difficult to master. :tup

Precisely  ;D

Offline a8ac

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 12:34:12 AM »
Yeah that should work... Thanks again  :) I just hope it sounds as big and powerful as having that extra string (or almost)

Offline Cable

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 12:36:02 AM »

I know you didn't say PMU is easy, so this is more of a rant on those that do. To me, I'm a completist player, so I rather learn a song 100% than 95%. Certainly there are songs harder through and through than others. As Nearmyth said, it's hard to find a song where JP doesn't shred.

So granted PMU is not a shred-fest at all. But how did three one bar 32nd note runs at 100 BPM become easy? I know in the grand scheme of DT, the runs are pretty straight-forward, and no real big time sig changes, so the song is one of DT's easier songs.

I cannot really think of one song with a JP solo that I would say is easy, and certainly nothing off of  I&W; maybe Surrounded as a whole song is not too bad. As has been discussed with Repentance and PS, the phrasing is a challenge, which is an underrated part of JP's playing (overlooked in general for a lot of players).
---

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 01:33:29 AM »
I'm an amateur at guitar and haven't learned any full DT songs, but the first 2 minutes of Pull Me Under and the verses of Endless Sacrifice are pretty easy and fun to play.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 01:44:04 AM »

I know you didn't say PMU is easy, so this is more of a rant on those that do. To me, I'm a completist player, so I rather learn a song 100% than 95%. Certainly there are songs harder through and through than others. As Nearmyth said, it's hard to find a song where JP doesn't shred.

So granted PMU is not a shred-fest at all. But how did three one bar 32nd note runs at 100 BPM become easy? I know in the grand scheme of DT, the runs are pretty straight-forward, and no real big time sig changes, so the song is one of DT's easier songs.

I cannot really think of one song with a JP solo that I would say is easy, and certainly nothing off of  I&W; maybe Surrounded as a whole song is not too bad. As has been discussed with Repentance and PS, the phrasing is a challenge, which is an underrated part of JP's playing (overlooked in general for a lot of players).

but I would like songs that are more "SO ENERGY... POWAH  :metal " or more classic DT songs.. .

Besides, it's easy (by DT standards of course). If not PMU, there's not much more  :metal songs easier than it.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 01:49:00 AM »
With DT, for not advanced guitarists like me, near all the songs are playable till the solos  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline eosforum

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17:47 AM »
No one mentioned Stream of Conciousness?

It's the only song I can play 100% (solos not included, just the final lead).

OTBOA, PMU and Peruvian Skies are also fairly easy. Also TEI is easy if you work a little on the opening riff.

Offline genome

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 06:24:21 AM »
One Last Time is pretty easy. As is Lines in the Sand, but as someone already aptly said with the Repentance solo, it's all about feel. Playing the notes is just one thing.