Author Topic: PROGPOWER USA XXIII  (Read 32223 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: PROGPOWER USA XXI
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
USA has been demanding The Ocean to come back for years and years, looks like they're finally coming back to the next ProgPower :corn
I'm not sure what the progpower crowd is like but if there's anything The Ocean are not it's power metal :lol

https://vimeo.com/365021344?fbclid=IwAR1ITlOmVzaYahE8DihPwWTQBD3jwf7YWVBTaxHuGD2ZfChWmvRQ2R4aSuo

Not terribly jazzed about this band (wow stop the presses) because of the screams but otherwise it sounds heavy and a good fit for the crowd. Cool beans.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2019, 09:03:23 AM »
Tickets for Days 3 & 4 on sale tomorrow morning.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0E00573BD10240BC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »
Yup, good thing tomorrow is pay day for me

I'm listening to Night Flight Orchestra now, so damn catchy and fun.  How I need you Barcelona!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 09:38:20 AM »
I scored a free Gold Badge for next year so I'm safe. :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2019, 02:08:14 PM »

Lucky...

Sadly I won't be able to buy my ticket tomorrow so will have to hope someone is selling sometime down the line.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »
you know someone will, part of me wants to go down that route too but whatever, I'm like 99% sure I'm going so might as well help the sellout.  My only issue though is if ticketmaster has issues again.  I've got to head out right after buying my ticket tomorrow so if there's delays, I might miss out and will have to buy off someone.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2019, 02:48:42 PM »

Lucky...

Sadly I won't be able to buy my ticket tomorrow so will have to hope someone is selling sometime down the line.

You needn't worry.  There's ALWAYS people looking to unload come July/August.  I hazard a guess there is usually more supply than demand.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »

Lucky...

You needn't worry.  There's ALWAYS people looking to unload come July/August.  I hazard a guess there is usually more supply than demand.

I've noticed that a lot this year on the fan page.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
Yeah I think you'll be safe if you buy them later. Maybe not last minute (less than a month from the fest) but between spring and summer yeah you'll have a good chance of getting some. :)

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »
Yeah I think you'll be safe if you buy them later. Maybe not last minute (less than a month from the fest) but between spring and summer yeah you'll have a good chance of getting some. :)

I'm sure I will. I really don't want to miss NFO and Conception (Mainly for Roy Kahn).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2019, 03:41:43 PM »
Ya know, I love Roy, but Conception hasn't been the greatest from my listens of them.  There's some good songs but I'm struggling to find anything to really like.  I gave them a try like 5 years ago and then again last year when they got back together, and kind of still feel that way as I gave them some more listens last week.  I love Roy, but musically I'm not crazy about them.  I'll definitely watch their set for Roy alone, I've never got to see him with Kamelot and he used to be one of my favorite singers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
Thanks ticketmaster for the hour delay fuck up, but all is good now that I got my tickets and good timing too since i need to head out soon.  :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »
Yeah, it's like tradition with Ticketmaster. What I don't understand is how the hell do they handle giant pop/rap star shows when tickets go on sale if they can't handle 1000 people across the country/world for this? WTF?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:40:39 AM by Kattelox »

Offline Blackcastle

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »

If you know someone on the fence about buying tickets, push them off so these last 20 or so will be gone - as would have been the case on the first afternoon but for Ticketbastard.  Let's help Glenn to get it sold out - it will only help us all with his marketing the fest to future lineups.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 11:06:59 AM »
Awesome...Took this opportunity and secured my tickets. Now to wait and see...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
So I now have the two latest Night Flight Orchestra albums and love them both very much.  Very easy music to digest too.  I've since moved on to start listening to another band.... Beast in Black  :metal I got their latest album last week to have some music to digest while on my work trip.  I'm loving this album.  It's that cheesey power metal I can get behind.  I know this is formed from the original guitarist of Battle Beast and with a similar name, I expected similar music which it is.  I love it.  Going to be a fun sing along set.  I've got to get their other album soon.  Another band that is fairly easy to digest, only a handful of listens and I feel like I know the album pretty well. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2019, 08:33:56 AM »
Stratovarius is headlining day 2 and words do not describe the levels of hype I am feeling right at this moment. There is no possible way ProgPower can make a lineup that beats what we'll be getting next year. God I hope VISA issues are minimal this time. This is absolutely wild.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:43:51 AM by Kattelox »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 08:42:47 AM »
I'd hope the late announcements are because they are trying their best to prevent visa issues.  That's a pretty big name in power metal.  I haven't listened to them in awhile but I'll have to now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2019, 08:45:55 AM »
Yeah, that's a big name for sure.  Still not entirely sure it's big enough to draw me in.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2019, 08:47:22 AM »
Stratovarius is headlining day 2 and words do not describe the levels of hype I am feeling right at this moment. There is no possible way ProgPower can make a lineup that beats what we'll be getting next year. God I hope VISA issues are minimal this time. This is absolutely wild.

OMG. If they play Forever, that'll make it all the better

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2019, 08:50:29 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2019, 08:55:12 AM »
I'm still hoping The Dark Element make it as the last band (#4) for day 2, as according to the description on their new video on youtube "More tour dates are planned for this upcoming album, so expect to see the band on stage again soon."  Although I would expect them to be a really hard get so totally not expecting it, just a big wish.

I am digging how its 5 bands on Day 2.  I am however a bit worried about day 1 as it's been even more quiet about that show.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2019, 09:28:23 AM »
Coincidentally, yesterday I was listening to Distant Skies live and was imagining jamming this in a concert setting. Seeing Marc and Mike shouting Distant Skies.

Im so excited now. This just sealed my Day 2 ticket purchase.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2019, 09:34:06 AM »
Hell yeah Ben!! It'll be great to see you.

I am super curious about the set. I can predict quite a bunch off the top of my head; I imagine it'll be a healthy mix of their most famous Tolkki-era classics like Black Diamond, Forever, The Kiss of Judas etc. and several of their new classics like Unbreakable, Halcyon Days, My Eternal Dream... but they have so many songs that fit both those categories that there will be surprises regardless, since they can't fit every classic hit in there. I can almost guarantee Hunting High and Low and Eagleheart, too, those won't eat up too much of the set. Good lord I am about to explode with excitement

I'm also with Marc, I would love The Dark Element to snag that final spot.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2019, 10:10:57 AM »
I wouldn't mind The Dark Element at all. Then will have seen all 3 Nightwish singers, haha.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
Sounds like it will be a prog band so no to TDE. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »
So day 1 is back to the main room. Honestly really happy about that. Wasn't sure what the vibe would be like not in the same setting.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 04:26:54 PM »
Good. Power Quest deserves way better than to play one of the greatest power metal albums of all time in the freaking loft

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
I've got to check out that album still.  My list of music to listen to for PP is still super long, but I am making dents.

I've got the latest Turilli / Lione album.  I think I might like this rebirth and evolution sound more than what I had sampled previously.  I know Kat shared some on his top 50 albums and I had checked them out back when Fabio was announced as the temp singer from Kamelot (I had not known of him or Rhapsody back then) and my feelings were always it mgiht be a bit too much going on and maybe a bit too much on the cheese, but I never felt I didn't like it.  I feel like there's still a bit much going on for this album, but it's a bit closer to what I enjoy in power metal than I thought from Rhapsody.  It's a solid album from front to back.  I haven't listened enough to form more opinions, but I enjoy it and that makes me excited for the headliners more so than I was before.

I also got a week of listening to Terraformer by Thank You Scientist.  I was pushing them up my list to check out because they are playing locally soon and thought I'd check them out if I enjoyed them (but just booked a work trip ruling this out).  Either way, this album is really fucking cool.  It's going to need more listens as some songs are long and intense, but musically, this is awesome.  The singer took some time to enjoy, he was initially what I didn't like but I've gotten used to his voice and style.  I don't love the vocals, but they aren't taking away from the interesting music these guys are creating.  It's really unlike anything I heard with the vocals and horn section doing this progressive rock with some heavy metal in there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
FYI, this particular Turilli/Lione Rhapsody album is a huge departure from the traditional 'Rhapsody' sound (sounds nothing like the stuff on my top 50) - it's much more similar to the two Luca Turilli's Rhapsody album he did a few years ago (2012's Ascending to Infinity and 2015's Prometheus). But they're playing some AWESOME Rhapsody songs when they do shows, so it's going to kick so much ass :2metal:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2019, 04:45:04 PM »
I wonder if I'll have the balls by next year to take extended long service leave or even quit my job so I can come over for this?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »
Maybe if they get Voyager or Caligulas horse again you can tag along with them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2019, 07:13:06 AM »
Breaking: Pain of Salvation rounding out day 2... playing The Perfect Element, Pt. 1 in full.

Day 1: Power Quest playing Magic Never Dies / everyone else TBA
Day 2: Darkwater > NorthTale > The Ocean > Pain of Salvation > Stratovarius
Day 3: Shattered Skies > Witherfall > Eternal Tears of Sorrow > The Night Flight Orchestra > Jeff Scott Soto's Tribute to Queen > Khanception
Day 4: Arion > Thank You Scientist > Beast In Black > The Gathering > Ihsahn > Turilli / Lione Rhapsody

This is turning out to be the best PPUSA lineup I've ever seen, having looked at all past years. I only dislike Pain of Salvation, and The Ocean and The Gathering haven't sold me based on what I've heard. Everybody else is sick. This is so awesome.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:17:45 AM by Kattelox »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:17 AM »
Adding PoS doesn't do ANYTHING for me.  PoS is a different acronym for me, but appropriately ironic.

The only thing that would get me down there at this point is an appearance by Wolfking.  For my tastes/opinions:

Very Interested: Darkwater, Arion, Night Flight Orchestra
Interested: Stratovarius, Shattered Skies, Conception
Mildly Interested: The Gathering, Rhapsody, Beast in Black
Meh - everyone else (which is 10 bands - more than all of the above combined).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2019, 08:16:31 AM »
The only thing that would get me down there at this point is an appearance by Wolfking.

It's as if our nights in Atlanta meant nothing to you.

I would love for Kade to show up.