Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 999208 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2380 on: November 27, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
I think You Not Me is a good song. It doesn't have anything special about it that makes it stand out in DT's otherwise amazingly stellar catalog, but I still think it's enjoyable to listen to.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2381 on: November 27, 2013, 07:43:02 AM »
Nothing wrong with You Not Me at all, and I didn't actually know a DT who had a complaint about the song that wasn't "they worked with Desmond Child! SELL OUTS!" until the demos got out there.

In fact, if you want a controversial opinion: FII became a neglected classic after the fact, once the demos came out, because people bought into MP's "this was supposed to be a double album magnum opus!" Having listened to said demos, I think that most of the decisions made in production were in fact the correct ones. Especially taking Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2382 on: November 27, 2013, 07:48:51 AM »
Nothing wrong with You Not Me at all, and I didn't actually know a DT who had a complaint about the song that wasn't "they worked with Desmond Child! SELL OUTS!" until the demos got out there.

In fact, if you want a controversial opinion: FII became a neglected classic after the fact, once the demos came out, because people bought into MP's "this was supposed to be a double album magnum opus!" Having listened to said demos, I think that most of the decisions made in production were in fact the correct ones. Especially taking Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul.
I agree. Taking account the supreme production which hasn't been matched since, Derek's tasteful playing, it's easily among the best of them.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2383 on: November 27, 2013, 07:55:08 AM »

Agreed. I think a lot of the omitted tracks were omitted for good reason, and all of the changes to the music were for the better. The only demo edit I'd probably revert is keeping the extra verse in LITS, but that's very minor. And while I quite like the pre-chorus of Hollow Years, I think it flows a bit better without it, so right decision there too.
The only thing I would change about FII is dropping YNM. I wouldn't add back anything else either. Had it been a double album, it would have been a Load/Reload situation.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2384 on: November 27, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »

Agreed. I think a lot of the omitted tracks were omitted for good reason, and all of the changes to the music were for the better. The only demo edit I'd probably revert is keeping the extra verse in LITS, but that's very minor. And while I quite like the pre-chorus of Hollow Years, I think it flows a bit better without it, so right decision there too.
The only thing I would change about FII is dropping YNM. I wouldn't add back anything else either. Had it been a double album, it would have been a Load/Reload situation.
I would miss the pre-chorus of YNM, that alone makes the song album-worthy. YOM is superior and good as it is.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: November 27, 2013, 08:09:10 AM »

I would miss the pre-chorus of YNM, that alone makes the song album-worthy. YOM is superior and good as it is.

Even though I don't think YNM is bad, I wouldn't miss it, and it's the only song that weakens the album for me (I'm a bigger fan of it than most, I think).
And I actually don't think YOM is any better than YNM. Even though I'm not a fan of the song, I think the album version was also an improvement over the demo. I prefer the ill fitting poppier chorus of YNM over the more '90s alt-rock mediocrity of YOM's chorus.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2386 on: November 27, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »

I prefer the original version of TAMP much more.  After seeing them play the original version live before the album even came out, I can say that IMHO it is far superior to the version we have on the CD.  I was extremely disappointed when the CD came out and heard that version.  I like how MP describes it in the Lifting Shadows book.   

I would have also dropped YNM for The Way It Used To Be.  YNM is okay, but it sounds like they were deliberately trying to make a Top 10 hit and it's a bit disappointing to know it probably wasn't a song the band would have normally written, especially considering the lyrical assistance.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: November 27, 2013, 08:30:11 AM »
I prefer the original version of TAMP much more.  After seeing them play the original version live before the album even came out, I can say that IMHO it is far superior to the version we have on the CD.  I was extremely disappointed when the CD came out and heard that version.  I like how MP describes it in the Lifting Shadows book.   

Until very recently I would have agreed, but recently I realized I don't mind the album version of TAMP at all. The vibe always used to bother me, but not really any more.
And listening back to the demo version, the tempo plods a bit, and it feels a bit more same-y with the other demo tracks, and feels like it's lacking a little something. I'm not sure the album version rectifies that in a way I'm entirely happy with, but I do prefer it nonetheless. Judging by how the other songs turned out, maybe the demo version would have sounded a lot better with the FII production though.

I would have also dropped YNM for The Way It Used To Be.  YNM is okay, but it sounds like they were deliberately trying to make a Top 10 hit and it's a bit disappointing to know it probably wasn't a song the band would have normally written, especially considering the lyrical assistance.

The outside songwriter isn't a big deal at all to me. Sure, it wasn't the best fit for them, but it's not like he turned it from Metropolis into I Walk Beside You or anything. :lol He turned it from YOM to YNM. No loss!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2388 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »
It is their biggest carreer mistake that The Way It Used To Be was not an album track.

Also Burning My soul gets too much shit.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2389 on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:06 AM »
Until very recently I would have agreed, but recently I realized I don't mind the album version of TAMP at all. The vibe always used to bother me, but not really any more.
And listening back to the demo version, the tempo plods a bit, and it feels a bit more same-y with the other demo tracks, and feels like it's lacking a little something. I'm not sure the album version rectifies that in a way I'm entirely happy with, but I do prefer it nonetheless. Judging by how the other songs turned out, maybe the demo version would have sounded a lot better with the FII production though.

Exactly! 

The outside songwriter isn't a big deal at all to me. Sure, it wasn't the best fit for them, but it's not like he turned it from Metropolis into I Walk Beside You or anything. :lol He turned it from YOM to YNM. No loss!

Neither song worked for me.  Though I would have taken the former by a slight margin.   ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2390 on: November 27, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »
Not only does the FII version of Take Away My Pain destroy both the demo and the live OIAL versions, but it is overall a damn fine song, and one of the better tracks on Falling into Infinity. :hat

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:29 AM »
It is their biggest carreer mistake that The Way It Used To Be was not an album track.

Since this is the controversial opinion thread, I'm just going to be blunt about this :lol - I don't think any of the left off tracks from FII were very good, and I think some of the appeal is the nature of them. RTK is the best of the bunch for me, but I still wouldn't want it on the album. Everything else is samey '90s pop rock stuff to me, on the same level as YNM/YOM, and I'm just fine without DT having another U2 inspired track on an album. Controversial opinions!

Also Burning My soul gets too much shit.

It's not bad at all! It's a bit cheesy and bonehead, but I dig that, and it adds some diversity to the album that really benefits it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2392 on: November 27, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »
Not only does the FII version of Take Away My Pain destroy both the demo and the live OIAL versions, but it is overall a damn fine song, and one of the better tracks on Falling into Infinity. :hat

Agreed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »
Neither song worked for me.  Though I would have taken the former by a slight margin.   ;)

I'll take the latter by a slight margin, but as neither song worked for me either, no point splitting hairs here. :lol We'll just agree to drop it from the album altogether.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2394 on: November 27, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »

Absolutely. Same thing with the snare sound on IAW. Sure, a more natural snare sound would have been better, but I always thought people bought into MP's "omfg, the album is unlistenable! Prater ruined everything!!" And when he finally got his way and replaced the  original track with a real snare, it sounded like horse manure.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: November 27, 2013, 08:50:58 AM »

Absolutely. Same thing with the snare sound on IAW. Sure, a more natural snare sound would have been better, but I always thought people bought into MP's "omfg, the album is unlistenable! Prater ruined everything!!" And when he finally got his way and replaced the  original track with a real snare, it sounded like horse manure.

I don't think MP has anything to do with people disliking the snare any more than MP being responsible for people not liking FII. It's a very '80s sounding snare that I can see a lot of people wouldn't like.

Not me however. I love the '80s snare! I enjoy it on the Firehouse albums too. :biggrin: Big part of the charm and uniqueness of IaW.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2396 on: November 27, 2013, 08:53:28 AM »
I think what was MP's doing was this notion that it utterly marred the whole album to the point of unlistenability. I always had the impression that once he started taking that stance publicly, you heard it a lot more on DTF.
And it's just the same thing with FII. It's an excellent album overall, and the fact that it managed to become this "born-again classic", despite official labeling as a "ruined album", shows that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: November 27, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
I think what was MP's doing was this notion that it utterly marred the whole album to the point of unlistenability.

Given that IaW is their most universally loved album, I think it's a pretty tiny minority (if anybody) that believes the snare drum makes the album unlistenable. I don't see that MP's opinion on it has influenced people.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2398 on: November 27, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »

I'll take the latter by a slight margin, but as neither song worked for me either, no point splitting hairs here. :lol We'll just agree to drop it from the album altogether.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2399 on: December 05, 2013, 11:41:05 PM »
Surrounded is currently my favorite DT song of them all.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: December 05, 2013, 11:49:55 PM »
And there is nothing wrong with that.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2401 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:01 AM »
And there is nothing wrong with that.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2402 on: December 06, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »
Surrounded is currently my favorite DT song of them all.

Surrounded has been my favorite DT song since 2006. It's also the first DT song I ever heard.

Offline moof

« Reply #2403 on: December 06, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »
Surrounded has always been my favourite song until it was taken over by Raise the Knife very recently

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2404 on: December 06, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
I don't really hear in appeal in Raise the Knife. If anything it's a really mediocre song and the vocal melodies are kinda bad in my opinion.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #2405 on: December 06, 2013, 01:11:11 PM »
I don't really hear in appeal in Raise the Knife. If anything it's a really mediocre song and the vocal melodies are kinda bad in my opinion.

I used to think it was a subpar song, but then I listened to a remastered version or with better quality or w/e and I loved it.

I think You Not Me is a good song, but You Or Me is so much better.

Also, not sure if this is that controversial, but Where Are You Now? Is one of the best FII demo songs.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #2406 on: December 06, 2013, 01:18:50 PM »
Agreed. Its my least favorite song on Cleaning Out the Closet.

« Reply #2407 on: December 06, 2013, 01:53:59 PM »
Raise The Knife is better than most songs on FII. Better than Trial of Tears.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2408 on: December 06, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »

Well you've certainly come to the right thread, sir.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline marlencrabapple

« Reply #2409 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
I guess not liking FII is an unpopular opinion now. The only thing I like about it are the drums and parts of a few songs.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2410 on: December 06, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

:o Well that's a bold statement

Just like how I think These Walls is better than Octavarium, though both songs are brilliant
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2411 on: December 06, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »

Nope. Even in a matter of opinion such as this......this statement is flat out wrong. Sorry. Thanks for playing. Try again later.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

« Reply #2412 on: December 06, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »

:o Well that's a bold statement

And I stand by it.  :coolio

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2413 on: December 06, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
I guess not liking FII is an unpopular opinion now. The only thing I like about it are the drums and parts of a few songs.
¨

I only like Peruvian Skies, Hell's Kitchen and Trial of Tears on FII. I can listen to Burning My Soul and Take Away My Pain but the rest bores me to tears.  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2414 on: December 06, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
Maybe not a  controversial opinion, but rather a statement: I don't own either of the last two albums. When ADTOE came out I was somewhere in India or something and wouldn't have been able to buy the album for a loong while, so I ended up downloading it. By the time I was finally able to get it properly, it had slipped out of the rotation already. And when DT12 came out, I listened to the stream when it was available, and after that I already had lost interest again. Since then I put it on maybe 4 times, through Google Music.