Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 95358 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #700 on: April 03, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
No offense! :lol

Might be seeing a whole lotta Philly next week.

Or might not, it's so up in the air right now. We have the easiest schedule to finish out of the teams running tight in the East, but anything can happen. We could play the Pens or Blue Jackets home or away, or start on the road against the Bruins, Lightning, or Capitals. Hell, I think we could still theoretically get 2/3 in the division with New Jersey and play them first round.

I want Pens and Flyers first round match up baby.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #701 on: April 03, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »
I bet Avalanche fans are feeling even worse right now because they have to play the Sharks next

San Jose clinched a playoff spot yesterday (although it's been a foregone conclusion for a while), so I'm hoping they're off their game tonight against the recently eliminated Stars.  Kings are only two points back of San Jose for second place in the Pacific and were lights out against Colorado last night.

Last night had to be brutal for St. Louis fans.

We're now officially down to four teams for three playoff spots:

Kings -- 96 points and 42 ROW (2 games left)
Anaheim -- 95 points and 37 ROW (3 games left)
Colorado -- 93 points and 40 ROW (2 games left)
St. Louis -- 92 points and 40 ROW (3 games left)

I hate that Anaheim always seems to have a game in hand on the Kings!

No games on tonight's schedule that impact these teams fighting for the remaining playoff spots.  Huge games for St. Louis and Anaheim tomorrow.  Hopefully Minnesota will go Wild in Anaheim.

The east looks like the same 3 teams for 4 spots situation, but Florida looks to be on life support.

End of an era.  I seriously doubt there'll never be a brother duo like these two ever again in my lifetime.

Wow...I didn't realize it had been 18 seasons!  One of the lasting memories of the Kings 2012 Cup run is Dustin Brown clocking Henrik right in front of the Vancouver bench.

I wonder, if one of them is elected to the HHOF and the other isn't, if the one elected will refuse to show up for the ceremony....

That is the benefit that the west coast sport fans have over us.  They can see all the games.

Every time I travel to the east coast I wonder how y'all handle it.  World Series and MNF games starting at 8pm and frequently not ending until after midnight.  I turned off the Dodger game last night around 10:15 (after the Dodgers choked away a 3 run lead in the bottom of the 9th) and woke up this morning to see that the game went 15 innings!  Some folks on the east coast might have been waking up while that game was still going.  Every once in a while, my wife renews her "I wish we lived back east" mantra.  I typically squelch that by reminding her that she can watch all the Celtics games by buying the NBA package (which she's done for the past half dozen years or so), but I'd almost never be able to watch Kings or Dodgers games because they wouldn't even start until 10:30 eastern time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #702 on: April 03, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
If the Flyers or Devils were playing really poorly I'd give Florida a shot, but realistically, even if they win out, they are done I think. Which is pretty much the fate they deserve given they let Gallant go.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #703 on: April 03, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »
It's essentially StL or Colorado getting the second wild card in the West  and then getting throttled by Nashville. Neither team can match up against the Preds.....maybe there's a 'miracle' series there for either of those teams and Nashville collapses under the pressure of them being the favorites to win it all, but I doubt it.

Me personally....I'd love to see StL make it in and pull off the miracle against the Preds. For those of you who don't know my brother in law lives in Nashville and is a Predator "fan"....meaning.....he knows zippity squat about hockey and started liking them about two years ago when they started playing well. The texts and conversation he gears towards me when the Blues play the Preds are brutal to deal with....made even more brutal by the recent history of those match ups. So yeah....I have that to look forward to should the Blues get lucky enough to back in to the last wild card spot.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #704 on: April 03, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »
It's essentially StL or Colorado getting the second wild card in the West  and then getting throttled by Nashville. Neither team can match up against the Preds.....maybe there's a 'miracle' series there for either of those teams and Nashville collapses under the pressure of them being the favorites to win it all, but I doubt it.

Me personally....I'd love to see StL make it in and pull off the miracle against the Preds. For those of you who don't know my brother in law lives in Nashville and is a Predator "fan"....meaning.....he knows zippity squat about hockey and started liking them about two years ago when they started playing well. The texts and conversation he gears towards me when the Blues play the Preds are brutal to deal with....made even more brutal by the recent history of those match ups. So yeah....I have that to look forward to should the Blues get lucky enough to back in to the last wild card spot.

I surely wouldn't want to the Kings to get that matchup against the Preds.  They didn't fare so well against Nashville this season as well.  Either they go against Golden Knights (which is probably the best team they can go up against given the circumstances) or they face the......... Sharks (again, for the 5th time in 8 years, in the first round for the 4th time in 8 years).  Man, that Kings/Sharks matchup in the playoffs is the west coast version of Rangers/Capitals.  I think a small part of me wants the Ducks to get the 3rd slot in the Pacific and Kings get the first wild card slot.  Let the Ducks/Sharks duke it out for once.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #705 on: April 03, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »

I surely wouldn't want to the Kings to get that matchup against the Preds.  They didn't fare so well against Nashville this season as well.  Either they go against Golden Knights (which is probably the best team they can go up against given the circumstances) or they face the......... Sharks (again, for the 5th time in 8 years, in the first round for the 4th time in 8 years).  Man, that Kings/Sharks matchup in the playoffs is the west coast version of Rangers/Capitals.  I think a small part of me wants the Ducks to get the 3rd slot in the Pacific and Kings get the first wild card slot.  Let the Ducks/Sharks duke it out for once.

I don't think anyone except Minnesota matches up well against the Preds this year.  They're 51-17-11 (or 51-28), and they only lost 15 games to other Western Conference teams.  Of the teams in the WC playoff hunt, only Minnesota (3 times) and Vegas and Winnipeg (twice each) have beaten Nashville more than once.  Kings are 0-2-1 against Nashville; 2-1-1 against Vegas; and 1-3-0 against San Jose.  I guess, all in all, Vegas is the best matchup for the Kings, but there are no "easy" playoff matchups.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #706 on: April 03, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »
No offense! :lol

Might be seeing a whole lotta Philly next week.

Or might not, it's so up in the air right now. We have the easiest schedule to finish out of the teams running tight in the East, but anything can happen. We could play the Pens or Blue Jackets home or away, or start on the road against the Bruins, Lightning, or Capitals. Hell, I think we could still theoretically get 2/3 in the division with New Jersey and play them first round.

The Leafs are the only team you're guaranteed NOT to play.  I don't see you playing NJ either.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #707 on: April 03, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »

Ignore the texts. Do not respond to them. Or respond to them talking about something else.  Easy solution.  :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: April 03, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »

Ignore the texts. Do not respond to them. Or respond to them talking about something else.  Easy solution.  :biggrin:

Clearly you’ve never met my bro in law.  :lol   It’s just not that simple

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #709 on: April 04, 2018, 06:54:07 AM »

Clearly you’ve never met my bro in law.  :lol   It’s just not that simple

You need to up your trash talk game.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #710 on: April 04, 2018, 07:00:08 AM »
Chad, it seems like you guys are pretty locked into 3rd place in the Atlantic, so if you want to rest some players on Thursday that would be just fine with me :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: April 04, 2018, 08:07:56 AM »
Chad, it seems like you guys are pretty locked into 3rd place in the Atlantic, so if you want to rest some players on Thursday that would be just fine with me :lol

We are absolutely 100% locked in.  The only question is whether we start in Tampa or Boston.  Not sure if Babs is going to rest anyone... we gotta stay sharp.  He is rotating the fourth-liners, to get them some action before heading in to the playoffs, but all the top lines have stayed in the lineup.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #712 on: April 04, 2018, 08:27:09 AM »
Meanwhile over in the Metropolitan Division, Pittsburgh and Columbus are in second and third place tied with 96 points (and they play each other tomorrow), and the Devils and Flyers are in the two wild card spots with 95 and 94 points respectively. Florida needs to run the table (2 games against the Bruins and one against Buffalo) but they theoretically have a shot at the second wild card spot. Going to be a very interesting last few days of the season, and it's going to kill me that I likely won't be able to watch any of it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #713 on: April 04, 2018, 11:18:58 AM »
Dallas was polite enough to beat San Jose last night -- even came back to win 4-2 after being down 0-2 early.

Kings are 2 points back of San Jose for second place in the Pacific, and both teams have 2 games to play, and the Kings have clinched the ROW tiebreaker against San Jose.  San Jose's remaining games are against Colorado and Minnesota.

Of course, the Kings are also only a point in front of Anaheim, and Anaheim has 3 games to play.  If Anaheim wins out, they'll finish ahead of the Kings, so the Kings need a little bit of help from one of Anaheim's remaining opponents (Minnesota, Dallas and Arizona).

The Kings remaining games are against Minnesota and Dallas, so those two teams will play a big role in shaping both the Pacific Division and the wild card.

St. Louis is in a similar situation as Anaheim.  If the Blues win out, they'll finish ahead of Colorado.  They need to win and need help as against the Kings and Anaheim.  In fact, I believe the Kings will clinch a play off spot if St. Louis loses in regulation tonight (unless they can win their last two games in regulation with a combined goal differential of at least +33), so GO MINNESOTA and GO CHICAGO tonight.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #714 on: April 04, 2018, 11:48:00 AM »
The end of the Florida-Nashville game last night was very entertaining! The Predators pulled their goalie and tied the game up with 0.6 seconds to go (of course they did), but after a few minutes of looking at the footage, the goal was overturned due to goaltender interference. It makes me wish the Devils had lost their game so that this outcome would have mattered more.

Those goddamn Blackhawks have been responsible for ending so many seasons for the Blues (watch this video for proof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HUwd3fKsj0 ) and so it sure makes me uneasy knowing that they get yet another opportunity this week. But it's comforting to know that the Sharks will be really hungry for a victory tomorrow (against Colorado) seeing as how they've now lost three in a row.

I want to blue myself tonight so Let's go Blues!!! :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #715 on: April 04, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
Those goddamn Blackhawks have been responsible for ending so many seasons for the Blues (watch this video for proof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HUwd3fKsj0 ) and so it sure makes me uneasy knowing that they get yet another opportunity this week. But it's comforting to know that the Sharks will be really hungry for a victory tomorrow (against Colorado) seeing as how they've now lost three in a row.

I want to blue myself tonight so Let's go Blues!!! :)

All the Hawks keystone players are quoted and on record as stating they'd love to destroy the Blue's playoff hopes. So, these two games are not going to be easy by any means. If I had to guess I'd say they'll split the two with the Hawks. Which, if Colorado does lose then against San Jose it puts the Blues in a must win on Saturday.

Best case is Blues win tonight....Colorado loses tomorrow against San Jose and the Blues go in to the game Friday against the Hawks knowing all they need is 1 pt to get in being they hold all the tie breakers over Colorado.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #716 on: April 04, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »
Jake Allen is itching to get on my Blues goalie shit list, currently occupied by Roman Turek and Ryan Miller.  If we lose tonight, it's on him.  :censored

Offline pg1067

« Reply #717 on: April 04, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »
Duncan Keith with a dagger to the Blues’ season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: April 04, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »
Rage post is imminent

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #719 on: April 04, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
Jake Allen sucks.

Blues power play sucks.

Please let this team not make the playoffs so I can actually enjoy the first round of the playoffs without another playoff loss by the Blues tainting my enjoyment.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #720 on: April 04, 2018, 08:47:13 PM »
And the Blues’ loss means the Kings clinch!  Never thought I’d be appreciative of Duncan Keith.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: April 04, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Jake Allen sucks.

Blues power play sucks.

Please let this team not make the playoffs so I can actually enjoy the first round of the playoffs without another playoff loss by the Blues tainting my enjoyment.

I hope they squeak in so they can get utterly throttled and embarrassed by the Preds. That’s what they deserve....to be nationally embarrassed. Bunch of heartless pansies.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #722 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
Nope, I love the first round, and I'd rather enjoy it without having the annoyance and stress of the Blues every other night. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: April 04, 2018, 08:54:50 PM »
Nope, I love the first round, and I'd rather enjoy it without having the annoyance and stress of the Blues every other night.

It’s stress free. They don’t have a chance in hell if winning a series in the playoffs.....maybe not a single game.

It’s a mute point anyway......they’re not going to win either of the two games they have left.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #724 on: April 04, 2018, 09:26:46 PM »
Dallas was polite enough to beat San Jose last night -- even came back to win 4-2 after being down 0-2 early.

Freakin stupid.  3 goals in the 3rd.   :\
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #725 on: April 04, 2018, 09:57:20 PM »
Saturday night Blues vs Avalanche is gonna be a lot of fun
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: April 04, 2018, 10:08:50 PM »
Saturday night Blues vs Avalanche is gonna be a lot of fun

I won’t even matter. Blues will lose Friday, Colorado will beat San Jose tomorrow. The Blues suck and are now finding new and creative ways to abuse their fan base.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: April 05, 2018, 04:43:33 AM »
Wow... those were three super soft goals.  Can't really fault him on the Keith goal - double screen by his own players.  Good swift kick to the balls for the Blues fans.  I think it would just prolonging their inevitable demise if the got in the playoffs.  I hope the Hawks just take them out to the woodshed and put everyone out of their misery.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: April 05, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »
Wow... those were three super soft goals.  Can't really fault him on the Keith goal - double screen by his own players.  Good swift kick to the balls for the Blues fans.  I think it would just prolonging their inevitable demise if the got in the playoffs.  I hope the Hawks just take them out to the woodshed and put everyone out of their misery.

Ehh...I think they were all soft....even the Keith goal. Freaking ugly.

This F’n team finds new, creative ways to torture their fan base each season. Rather than wait to the playoffs this year.....they decide to tease us with a gripping win streak to propel themselves into the playoffs only to crap the bed the second they get right up to the line...refusing to cross it.
  At this point I wish desperately that they make the playoffs. Not because I think they’ll make any noise whatsoever.....but because I want them to get utterly throttled and embarrassed by Nashville. They deserve that. They deserve to be whipped Nationally and embarrassed for the team they are. Armstrong deserves it.....they players....all of them. They need a National spanking and if they get lucky and somehow back into the playoffs (not convinced they will...I say the Blackhawks beat them again and Colorado wins tonight) it will be tough to watch, but much like a Father who has to spank his kid for spitting in his moms face....he doesn’t want to but he has to.....I want to watch the Blues get their a$$es handed to them by the Predators and get humiliated. That’s what they deserve.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #729 on: April 05, 2018, 07:38:39 AM »
Big game for the Pens tonight. A win against the Jackets nearly locks the Pens into 2nd place in the Metro. A loss tonight could have them drop down to a wild-card spot.

I'm cool with the Pens facing pretty much any Metro team in the first round, I really don't want to see them drop down and have to play Boston or Tampa in the first.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #730 on: April 05, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
Well...the Wild sucked last night, letting Anaheim leapfrog the Kings again.  Hopefully they continue to stink against the Kings tonight.  Need to take advantage of getting Minnesota on the second night of a back-to-back.

Also pulling for the Avs over the Sharks, but the Kings really need help from either Dallas or Arizona in the final two games against Anaheim.  If Anaheim wins out, the Kings won't be able to pass the Sucks in the standings.  However, with some help, the Kings could end up in second place in the Pacific.

Of course, a first round series against Vegas would be intriguing (and might require an impromptu road trip).

Offline romdrums

« Reply #731 on: April 05, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
So, based on the posts here, if I were to sum up the essence of the Blues franchise in one single play from their entire history, the most accurate would be a play from Game 4 of the 2002 Western Conference Semi-Finals, when Chris Pronger skated in on Steve Yzerman to take his knee out and instead blew out his own ACL and missed the rest of the series and almost the entire next season.  Does that describe the general futility of the Blues franchise?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: April 05, 2018, 01:07:54 PM »
Scholars maintain that there is no correct arrangement of words that could ever accurately depict nor describe the true futility of the Blues franchise.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2018, 01:24:01 PM »
Scholars maintain that there is no correct arrangement of words that could ever accurately depict nor describe the true futility of the Blues franchise.

Without faith, without hope, there can be no peace of mind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: April 05, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »

Without faith, without hope, there can be no peace of mind.

I don't think he's got truth or love at this point either.