Author Topic: The official Redemption thread v. I Am the Storm - March 17th 2023  (Read 144943 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official Redemption thread
« Reply #455 on: July 22, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
Yeah, but if anything, it reveals that they have spoken to him, and are holding his place in the band.
We have really had no clue as to where he is, but I'm taking out that while his recovery is slow and ongoing, things are continue to improve, and that's great!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #456 on: July 22, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »
Yes yes yes! So psyched! It's been a long four years between albums and I'm desperately in need of some new Redemption!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: July 22, 2015, 04:57:32 PM »
Four years, wow.  Time flies.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #458 on: July 22, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Amazing news! 4 years does go fast. To bad about Bernie. This band has some bad luck with health issues.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #459 on: July 23, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »
I'm curious about the guest guitarist. No disrespect to Bernie of course.

I had totally put new redemption out of my mind and wasnt expecting this. What an awesome surprise.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #460 on: July 23, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »
This was completely unexpected, but definitely welcome, news. Assuming this comes out in November or some other time before the end of the year, it will likely be my most anticipated album of 2015.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #461 on: July 23, 2015, 10:08:19 PM »
Finally, I check an update to this thread and there's news of a new album!

I hope Bernie recovers quickly as I'd love to see him return to the band sooner rather than later, but I'm excited for new material nonetheless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: July 24, 2015, 02:02:04 AM »
Sounds like Bernie isn't coming back anytime soon, if ever.  I think Nick is just keeping the hope alive, and rightly so.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #463 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:02 AM »
Awesome news!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #464 on: August 05, 2015, 08:19:24 AM »
I'm VERY curious to see who Nick has "guesting" on guitars!  Any guesses?  Petrucci, perhaps?
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #465 on: August 05, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
I'm VERY curious to see who Nick has "guesting" on guitars!  Any guesses?  Petrucci, perhaps?

My guess is Michael Abdow, who has been filling in for Frank Aresti in Fates Warning lately.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: August 05, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »
Hmm, I wouldn't guess Abdow.  I can't see FW and Redemption sharing TWO band members -- one is enough, lol.  My random guess would be Michael Romeo.  I just checked the credits from Redemption's first album, which I never really listened to, and I see that SX drummer Jason Rullo played drums and Michael Romeo provided orchestration on four tracks.  I honestly never realized that and had no idea there is a friendship between those bands.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #467 on: August 05, 2015, 09:23:46 AM »
Hmm, I wouldn't guess Abdow.  I can't see FW and Redemption sharing TWO band members -- one is enough, lol.  My random guess would be Michael Romeo.  I just checked the credits from Redemption's first album, which I never really listened to, and I see that SX drummer Jason Rullo played drums and Michael Romeo provided orchestration on four tracks.  I honestly never realized that and had no idea there is a friendship between those bands.

My guess would be Romeo but Petrucci can't be discarded since DT and Redemption have toured together and JLB has guested before on one track in Snowfall. Would prefer Romeo since he put on quite a show on the riffing department with Underworld.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #468 on: August 05, 2015, 10:08:49 AM »

I would; Abdow is not a permanent member of FW (yet) and if they are possibly prepping to do a reunion tour with Zonder and Moore for APSOG, then Abdow would likely be free to work with Redemption for awhile, since that album only had Matheos on guitar.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #469 on: August 05, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »
I guess I didn't realize the connection between Redemption and Symphony X, either.  Romeo would be cool!  But I mentioned Petrucci because of the connections there. But it could be anyone.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
Had the pleasure of chatting with Nick for a few mins at PPUSA.  He was super nice, as expected.  Can't wait to a hear a teaser or something soon.  Shouldn't be too much longer now! 

Offline T-ski

« Reply #471 on: October 07, 2015, 02:09:03 PM »
straight from Nick himself...

Finally, the scoop on new Redemption, featuring...

...Chris Poland, Marty Friedman, Chris Broderick, Simone Mularoni and John Bush.

It's an embarrassment of riches in terms of special guests. The official release from the label will be out shortly but I have received the okay to let the cat out in a couple of places.

I am excited for (most of) you to hear it! ;)

Redemption to release new album "The Art of Loss" in early 2016 via Metal Blade Records

Redemption's sixth album, The Art of Loss, has been completed and will be released early in 2016 by Metal Blade records. Featuring groundbreaking guest performances from a number of legendary musicians, the CD's nine tracks contain over 70 minutes of Redemption's unique blend of passion, melody, aggression and complexity.

Los Angeles-based Redemption is helmed by Nick van Dyk (guitars, keyboards), and includes renowned prog vocalist Ray Alder (Fates Warning, Engine), bassist Sean Andrews, and drummer Chris Quirarte, as well as guitarist Bernie Versailles, who is presently on an indefinite medical leave of absence from the band.

The band recruited several of the finest guitarists in metal to complement van Dyk's playing. "We're fortunate to have worked with a number of amazing musicians," begins van Dyk. "To start with, I'm extremely proud to announce that Chris Poland has lent his immense talent as a special guest on this record, contributing his unique playing on the majority of the songs and elevating our music into extremely interesting territory while calling to mind his work in his previous bands, who need not be named. Additionally, we are fortunate enough to have mind-blowing guest performances from Marty Friedman, Chris Broderick and Simone Mularoni, all of whom are amazing guitarists who add so much to this record."

In a remarkable and compelling first, the high-octane track "Thirty Silver" features Poland, Friedman and Broderick in the same song - something that will be a special treat for fans of these world-class players.
In addition, Redemption's cover of The Who's classic "Love Reign o'er Me" features a vocal duet between Alder and guest vocalist John Bush. "The combination of Ray's rich melodic voice and John's go-for-broke passion on this track really makes it special," explains van Dyk. "Daltrey's performance on the original is one of the most iconic vocal performances in the history of rock music and John does it great justice."

In addition to the nine tracks featured on the US release, bonus editions will be released in Europe and Japan, each featuring alternate versions of selected songs that highlight the guitar performances of Poland, Friedman, Broderick and Mularoni. In addition, the European release will include an additional cover song (A Great Big World's "Say Something") which features a vocal duet between Alder and van Dyk's daughter Parker, who makes her recording debut after having been the subject of several of Redemption's songs over the years.

The CD was mixed at Jailhouse Studios in Denmark by veteran producer Tommy Hansen (Helloween, Pagan's Mind, Pretty Maids, etc.) who also worked with Redemption on 2009's Snowfall on Judgment Day. The artwork - the band's most extensive to-date - was again created by long-time Redemption collaborator Travis Smith.

See below for the USA track-listing.

Redemption - The Art of Loss track listing
1. The Art of Loss
2. Slouching Towards Bethlehem
3. Damaged
4. Hope Dies Last
5. That Golden Light
6. Thirty Silver
7. The Center of the Fire
8. Love Reign o'er Me
9. At Day's End

Stay tuned for more details about The Art of Loss coming soon!

Redemption online:
https://redemptionweb.com
https://www.facebook.com/RedemptionBand
https://twitter.com/redemptionmetal
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: October 07, 2015, 02:55:55 PM »
Quite a roster of guest guitarists!  I'm particularly excited for this release.  I'm also happy they went back to the same producer who worked on Snowfall.  That was their best-sounding album, in my opinion. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »
Three words.
John Fucking Bush! :metal :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: October 07, 2015, 08:59:15 PM »
Wow.  Poland and Friedman, holy hell.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #475 on: October 08, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
Awesomeness!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #476 on: October 08, 2015, 06:51:04 AM »
Can't wait! Going to an awesome start to 2016 with this and DT! :metal

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #477 on: October 08, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »
HOLY CRAP!!!!  This is going to be one HELLUVA record!  I can't wait!!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #478 on: October 08, 2015, 02:27:15 PM »
Representing the Megadeth coalition of awesomeness: check! :metal :metal :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: October 08, 2015, 04:12:04 PM »
I'll add Primal Fear and Avantasia to the 2016 love too

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #480 on: October 09, 2015, 06:38:35 PM »
Couldn't care less about guest guitarists (although the fact that the effort to utilize them means something)...  But OMG I am so excited for this album.  The album name and tracklist have me so excited.  I can't decide between this and new DT for most anticipated 2016 release honestly.  I even am extremely curious on how the Who cover will turn out.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2015, 11:28:22 PM »
Nick posted this on the PM board:

Re: bonus tracks, for whatever reason, it is still important to non-US territories to have special material.

With over 70 minutes of (high-quality, I sure hope!) music on the US release, I don't think anybody anywhere is going to feel cheated.  Smile

As to the guest performances, here's an example. I gave the title track to both Chris Poland and Simone Mularoni to record solos over. They both played great versions. The finished version on the CD has an opening solo split between them, the main solo split between me and Simone, and the outro solo by Chris. I think it sounds great, and that's why it's the definitive version on the US CD. However, those who are fans of Messrs. Poland and Mularoni might want to hear the versions that they individually recorded, so those are being made available as bonus material.

Makes sense, I hope!

To be honest I think this is at least on par with our best work if not superior to it. I think the best things I have written are Sapphire and Black & White World, and I'm not sure there is anything here that eclipses those -- but coming from somebody who is always sick to death of listening to his own stuff by the time it is mastered, I can tell you this record has more staying power with me, personally than anything I've done. I like every song -- a lot. There is one piece, At Day's End, which is over 22 minutes long so compositionally, it is at least as ambitious as anything we've done.

Lastly, I wanted a return in production sound to what we had on Snowfall, and that's what we got -- except that I think Ray sounds stronger here than on that record and both his vocals and the solos sit a little more prominently in the mix.

Fans of Redemption, I think and hope, should love this.  Smile

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »
Lastly, I wanted a return in production sound to what we had on Snowfall, and that's what we got -- except that I think Ray sounds stronger here than on that record and both his vocals and the solos sit a little more prominently in the mix.

Oh hell yes!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #483 on: October 13, 2015, 01:42:36 AM »
I must say, with last two records, Redemption is epitome of progressive metal for me. I know they won't dissappoint with upcoming release :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #484 on: October 13, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »
If it sounds more like Snowfall, I'm super excited.  I was somewhat disappointed by the mix on the last album, as were a lot of people.  Still a good album, but nowhere near Snowfall.  Sounds like Nick has high expectations for this one!  I do, too!!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #485 on: October 13, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
Here is hoping he is right about the epic track.  I lose interest in most songs over 20 minutes.  I still want the bonus tracks.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #486 on: October 13, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
Black and White World is my favorite as well.

This makes me excited.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #487 on: October 14, 2015, 11:30:21 AM »
Nick posted this on the PM board:

Re: bonus tracks, for whatever reason, it is still important to non-US territories to have special material.

With over 70 minutes of (high-quality, I sure hope!) music on the US release, I don't think anybody anywhere is going to feel cheated.  Smile

As to the guest performances, here's an example. I gave the title track to both Chris Poland and Simone Mularoni to record solos over. They both played great versions. The finished version on the CD has an opening solo split between them, the main solo split between me and Simone, and the outro solo by Chris. I think it sounds great, and that's why it's the definitive version on the US CD. However, those who are fans of Messrs. Poland and Mularoni might want to hear the versions that they individually recorded, so those are being made available as bonus material.

Makes sense, I hope!

To be honest I think this is at least on par with our best work if not superior to it. I think the best things I have written are Sapphire and Black & White World, and I'm not sure there is anything here that eclipses those -- but coming from somebody who is always sick to death of listening to his own stuff by the time it is mastered, I can tell you this record has more staying power with me, personally than anything I've done. I like every song -- a lot. There is one piece, At Day's End, which is over 22 minutes long so compositionally, it is at least as ambitious as anything we've done.

Fans of Redemption, I think and hope, should love this.  Smile

Sounds good to me! Can't wait for this album! :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #488 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
Black and White World is my favorite as well.

AMEN!!  Black and White World is the ultimate Redemption song.  I can't get enough of it.  EVER.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #489 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
I wish we can get a remix and/or remaster of This Mortal Coil. There's some great stuff there marred by the bad sound.