Author Topic: Voices UK interview with MP  (Read 4903 times)

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Voices UK interview with MP
« on: November 17, 2010, 01:39:15 AM »
Thought I'd share a few interesting snippets from an interview conducted by Setlist Scotty on 29th August 2009.

Right now my plan is to do a Scenes From A Memory/Metropolis 2000 10th anniversary ... I definitely want to do a 5.1 mix, have the whole concert, stuff like that.

Shame this never happened, probably due to the financial infeasibility that MP describes.

On MP's more aggressive vocals:

There're a lot of times - believe it or not - when he [JLB] will encourage me to sing a part. He'll be like, "why don't you sing this part?" [e.g. middle section of Prophets of War] ... If we're happy with the way we write ... then who are the fans to tell us how to do our job? BUT I understand it's not everybody's cup of tea.

I Walk Beside You was originally a riff and progression that was written during Train of Thought [sessions] ... But it was not at all in line with the direction of Train of Thought.

On the 12 Step Suite:

At this moment, I envision doing it constantly, so that everybody can see it. I don't think it would be a one-night thing filmed for a dvd. I picture doing it so most of the audiences around the world can experience it at least once in their lifetime.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Voices UK interview with MP
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:43:53 AM »
very interesting tidbits

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:22:25 AM »
I think the IWBY one is fascinating. Obviously it wasn't a finished song during the TOT sessions, but if it were that would've made TOT a very strange album.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:39:16 AM »
I think the IWBY one is fascinating. Obviously it wasn't a finished song during the TOT sessions, but if it were that would've made TOT a very strange album.

You bet! I wonder at what place it would have been put. :-\
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:44:47 AM »
Well, one of the things I regret the most about MP leaving DT is that we can forget about cool stuff like quote #1.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:10:33 AM »
Well, one of the things I regret the most about MP leaving DT is that we can forget about cool stuff like quote #1.
Go figure. I totally see it happening. The remaining members of DT love this album, it was written by the current members of DT (minus Portnoy who left) so there's no SDV-like song in there, and it doesn't have insane vocal lines for JLB (unlike IaW or Awake) so it won't limit them.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »
I highly doubt special projects like the ones MP spoke of will not happen AT ALL. They might just not happen with as frequent regularity.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LKap13

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 08:45:18 AM »
I think it's safe to assume that the 12-step suite won't be performed in its entirety. That's what I'm saddest about.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 08:50:31 AM »
I think it's safe to assume that the 12-step suite won't be performed in its entirety. That's what I'm saddest about.
Why is it safe to assume that? I think it would be a much bigger surprise if MP never comes back than if he does.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
Well that depends on what you mean by "comes back". If you mean he'll come back ten years down the road for a retirement tour, then I can see that happening (and can also see 12-step being played). But I don't think it's at all feasible that he'll come back to be the permanent drummer again. That would be completely unfair to the new guy.

As for 12-step being performed at some point, sure it's possible, but I'm sad that it won't be performed on the next tour as it presumably would have been.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »
On the 12 Step Suite:

At this moment, I envision doing it constantly, so that everybody can see it. I don't think it would be a one-night thing filmed for a dvd. I picture doing it so most of the audiences around the world can experience it at least once in their lifetime.

Puh-lease.  I am pretty sure that, while that suite might be special to Portnoy and some fans, it is not so special that most fans would look at seeing it performed as a whole as a once in a lifetime thing.  No how, no way.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
Puh-lease.  I am pretty sure that, while that suite might be special to Portnoy and some fans, it is not so special that most fans would look at seeing it performed as a whole as a once in a lifetime thing.  No how, no way.

I saw quite a bit of speculation on this board that the 12-step suite would be a one-off thign for the DVD.  It was a legitimate thing for him to talk about.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 12:43:14 PM »
To me it would have constituted the longest "concert beer break" ever.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »

rumborak

Does not computer.  Although I like the whole thing except the second half of TDS.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
Thought I'd share a few interesting snippets from an interview conducted by Setlist Scotty on 29th August 2009.

Right now my plan is to do a Scenes From A Memory/Metropolis 2000 10th anniversary ... I definitely want to do a 5.1 mix, have the whole concert, stuff like that.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:(

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:(
Exactly.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »

rumborak

Does not computer.  Although I like the whole thing except the second half of TDS.

Yeah, TDS is the only weak link in it.  Interesting to hear what he had planned and what happened to IWBY.  Thanks Cyber!

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 02:32:50 PM »
*tries to imagine I Walk Beside You as the middle section to a Train Of Thought song, a la Hell's Kitchen in Burning My Soul '96*

Offline TL

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »
*tries to imagine I Walk Beside You as the middle section to a Train Of Thought song, a la Hell's Kitchen in Burning My Soul '96*
DON'T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP... wherever you are...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 04:16:10 PM »
DON'T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP... wherever you are...
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 12:30:03 AM »
Cool interview snippets...where's the rest of it?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 01:04:33 AM »
Cool interview snippets...where's the rest of it?
In the new Voices UK fanzine.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 10:45:13 AM »

rumborak

Yeah, TDS is the only weak link in it.  Interesting to hear what he had planned and what happened to IWBY.  Thanks Cyber!

I dunno, our bass player put together the whole suite into one mp3 because he was suggesting to play it in our band, and I can only say I totally zoned out after a while. There are good sections, yes, but in the end MP stretched the concept waaaay too far and over way too many albums, and the resulting "suite" is just too much fluff.

BTW, for the ones who wanted the SFAM 5.1 concert: I have to say LSFAM is by far my favorite live album of theirs, so I can't see what that new version could have added. A full Awake or FII would have been cool.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 12:21:05 PM »
LSFNY is SFAM+AMBI+LTL+ACOS

The whole concert will be awesome. Metropolis + The Mirror + Another Day + JR solo = *Homer's drool*

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
BTW, for the ones who wanted the SFAM 5.1 concert: I have to say LSFAM is by far my favorite live album of theirs, so I can't see what that new version could have added. A full Awake or FII would have been cool.

Uhh.... how about the addition of the album in 5.1?  :lol