Author Topic: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread  (Read 110338 times)

Offline 54_diplomats

Re: Legend of Zelda Official DTF Discussion Thread
« Reply #1085 on: September 03, 2013, 02:04:43 AM »
Ancient Cistern is one of the best dungeons in Skyward Sword. My favorite though is the one that comes after it. As for Koloktos he's pretty good, but the bosses in that game are kinda disappointing imo.

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1086 on: September 03, 2013, 07:51:04 AM »
I think Koloktos is awesome and probably my favorite in the game.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:42 PM »
I just beat Ancient Cistern, and I have to say, what a great dungeon that was! Typically the water dungeons are tedious and just a chore to get through, but not so with this one. Great atmosphere, great music, great dungeon item. And, of course, the boss fight was incredible. I've beaten every single Zelda game at least twice, and I can say that Koloktos is a top 5 Zelda boss.

With every boss, I've been a heart close to death. I love this feeling of being on edge around bosses, which was lost after Majora's Mask. Can't wait for the next dungeon. The game is really getting interesting.

I thought the water temple on TP was less infuriating than OOT but still really easy to get lost and not have any idea what to do next...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:32 PM »
I've never had a huge problem with the dreaded Water Temples. I think they can be unnecessarily challenging at times, but not the product of an evil, masochistic developer.

You guys who do those 3-Heart challenges and stuff like that have way more gaming skills (and time) than I'll ever have.

Playing through Link's Awakening now for the first time. (never owned a handheld console). Having a hard time geting in to it, but also having a hard time finding time to play it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1089 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
The water temples are not difficult puzzle-wise. They're frustrating because the water-changing gimmick means that you have to visit each room of the temple a few times, or more if you don't know what you're doing. So they're tedious, not hard.

Link's Awakening was great for it's time, but it hasn't aged well for me. IMO, the Oracles are superior (as well as The Minish Cap).
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: September 05, 2013, 05:52:15 PM »
Yeah they're REALLY tedious.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1091 on: September 05, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
I submit to you Jabu Jabu's Belly from Oracle of Ages. It's worse than the Water temple from OOT. It's easily the most migraine-inducing dungeon I've ever played...and I've played them all (except for the ones I have left in Skyward Sword). Only the NES dungeons are harder in difficulty, but at least they're fun. Jabu Jabu's Belly blows and it takes forever.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Mr. Ister

« Reply #1092 on: September 05, 2013, 06:55:13 PM »
I'm about to start the OoT Water Temple in my current playthrough.  Interested to see how it goes, though I've played through the game 5-10 times so theoretically it won't be awful.  The Lakebed Temple in TP was surprisingly frustrating too, you guys are right.

I have probably beaten Link's Awakening 10+ times in my life.  It was one of the first videogames I ever got and played it a lot as a kid.  I think just by the nature of it being a handheld, it'll never have the same emotional pull as the more modern systems did.
But if the dung comes out
He shits the death upon a man
Throw them a rag
Better to save the menstruate
Then surrender tuna sea crap
Whale!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1093 on: September 06, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »
Just don't forget that one key. And that other key.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1094 on: October 04, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
Got the Wind Waker HD today. But golly gee, where's the Ganondorf action figure? You know, the only reason I bought this stupid thing? Oh, what's that, Gamestop? I had to preorder specifically the collector's edition the first day I could? And you didn't specify this when I asked about it weeks ago? And now I'm stuck with a $60 paperweight of a game I've already played the shit out of and have no intention of ever playing again? Well fuck you then!  :censored
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: October 04, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
So yeah, playing Ocarina of Time for the first time on 3DS.

Gotta say, it's taking some getting used to this whole "there's no yellow arrow pointing you to every objective" thing.

Yeah, Navi tells me the general vicinity of where I'm supposed to go, but then I get there and the guy's like "hey, I'm sad, where's my daughter?", and I'm like "I dunno pls Navi tell me!"

But it's fun.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1096 on: October 04, 2013, 02:46:23 PM »
Guy missing his daughter? I know of a little girl whose dad is missing (Malon missing Talon), but I don't recall the scenario you're describing.

In other news, A Link Between Worlds actually looks like quite a bit of fun. Too bad I'm not willing to shell out for the 3DS.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1097 on: October 04, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
In other news, A Link Between Worlds actually looks like quite a bit of fun. Too bad I'm not willing to shell out for the 3DS.
As a Zelda fan, I feel morally obligated to get a 3DS just to play this game. It will surely be great. Zelda's track record is incredible.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1098 on: October 05, 2013, 08:04:27 AM »
I picked up a 3DS XL yesterday so I would be able to play A Link Between Worlds.  The new game mechanics are intriguing and  A Link to the Past is my favorite game of all time so I'd be a fool to think I wouldn't be picking it up eventually.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: October 05, 2013, 09:18:20 AM »
Guy missing his daughter? I know of a little girl whose dad is missing (Malon missing Talon), but I don't recall the scenario you're describing.

Jabu Jabu dude.

I figured it out though haha

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: October 05, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »
I also recently bought a 3DS so that I'd be able to play a Link Between Worlds. Playing The latest Mario & Luigi RPG & The Final Fantasy Music game to hold me over.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: October 09, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
Link, and male protagonists in general, usually get themselves out of the situation. And that ability to overcome obstacles is integral to their development as heroic characters.

Actually, it is integral to continuing the game. I imagine a game in which you could never overcome obstacles would not sell very well.

given widespread yearning by industrialized human populations for a recently abandoned, romanticized pastoralism.

Yes I certainly wish I had to get up at 400am to milk my cows instead of buying milk from the store.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1105 on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »
That's awesome.  :lol Ohhh boy...people give too many shits.

I cannot WAIT until LBW!! Jesus fuck, I've got FFXIV taking over my life...about to have Pokemons all over the hizzy, and now LBW comes out soon...FFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: October 09, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
I know it's a waste of my time, but I wanted to make a couple points about that article. 

On the issue of racism, the article suggests that all dark-skinned characters are portrayed as criminals while all white characters are portrayed as upstanding, law-abiding citizens.  So let's examine the behavior of our superheroic white male, Link.  Well, first of all he's a lazy jerk who might very well have slept through the entire game if not for the timely arrival of his fairy alarm clock.  Second of all, he's guilty of multiple counts of vandalism and theft.  He pushes people’s gravestones around, practices sword techniques on posted signs, breaks into people’s houses to smash all their pots and steal all their rupees, fucks up windmills just for the hell of it, and sneaks into castles to spy on people and shoot paintings with a slingshot.  He is, in short, a tremendous asshole.  Not exactly a portrait of moral goodness.  I mean, come on - this little brat goes to a fishing pond and attempts to steal the proprietor's hat! 

On the issue of sexism, the article points to the examples of Ruto and Zelda, suggesting that they are portrayed as weak female damsel-in-distress clichés.  Fair enough.  What about Din, Farore, and Nayru?  They were women, too, and they created the fucking world.  As far as acts of heroism go, I don’t think any of the male characters can top that one.

Also, the article mentions something about the way the game treats animals.  I’d just like to point out that if you mistreat animals in OoT, you end up getting mauled to death by a bunch of invincible flying chickens. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:06:55 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: October 09, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »
:clap:

And what about Midna - she's a princess and basically helps you out for the entirety of TP.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1108 on: October 09, 2013, 02:57:35 PM »
:lol Jaffa, that was amazing.

Yeah, that article is completely baseless. Zelda is classist because one particular wealthy family succumbed to greed? Uh, OK. Because the carpenters are accused of being lazy by their boss? Uh, OK.

Zelda is racist because the whites are good and the blacks are bad? That's not even true - the Gerudo are your allies, and Nabooru is a sage. The only evil colored humanoid in all of Hyrule has green skin, so joke's on you.

And Zelda is sexist? Well, let's see. The majority of the powerful sages are female, your "damsel in distress" is capable of VERY powerful magic and can become a ninja warrior at will, the creators of the world are goddesses (as Jaffa pointed out), and the toughest crowd in Hyrule are the Amazonian Gerudo. And, AND you have Link, who is such a girly man that 90% of his cosplayers are female.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1109 on: October 09, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
Zelda is racist because the whites are good and the blacks are bad? That's not even true - the Gerudo are your allies, and Nabooru is a sage.

Yeah, I was going to point this out, too.  If anything, the idea that all the dark-skinned characters are evil shows a racial bias on the part of the person who wrote the article, not the people who made the game. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1110 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:51 PM »
And Zelda is sexist? Well, let's see. The majority of the powerful sages are female, your "damsel in distress" is capable of VERY powerful magic and can become a ninja warrior at will, the creators of the world are goddesses (as Jaffa pointed out), and the toughest crowd in Hyrule are the Amazonian Gerudo. And, AND you have Link, who is such a girly man that 90% of his cosplayers are female.

Actually that's a pretty common misconception as far as strong female characters vs. female strong characters, but you are technically right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1111 on: October 10, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »

Actually that's a pretty common misconception as far as strong female characters vs. female strong characters, but you are technically right.
I am re-reading this sentence over and over again and it doesn't make sense to me. Can you reword it or explain the misconception I have of female characters?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1112 on: October 10, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »

I am re-reading this sentence over and over again and it doesn't make sense to me. Can you reword it or explain the misconception I have of female characters?

https://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/08/18/why-strong-female-characters-are-bad-for-women/

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: October 11, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »
Pretty sure the article is a joke.

But even if it's not, it still doesn't bother me. Zelda's always followed the kinda classic, archeatypical fantasy story. Of course it's going to take place in a feudalistic type setting where workers get spat upon and men rule the world.

I don't mind the website pointing those things out. They're good points. We shouldn't be so defensive about it.  I'd be interested to see a more contemporary Zelda that brakes those molds.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1114 on: November 21, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »
So guys, ALBW is coming out tomorrow in America and I think some other places. Yeah.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1115 on: November 21, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »
:clap:

And what about Midna - she's a princess and basically helps you out for the entirety of TP.

What about queen ambi.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1116 on: November 21, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »
Been waiting for a good top-down Zelda game for years. Probably won't be able to pick this one up for a while though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1117 on: November 21, 2013, 07:42:03 PM »
Yeah, I gotta drop some serious dough that I seriously don't have just to get the 3DS to play it, so it'll be a while for me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: November 21, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
Yeah, I gotta drop some serious dough that I seriously don't have just to get the 3DS to play it, so it'll be a while for me.

Well, there are MANY great games on the 3DS. So, I doubt you'd wind up just playing that.

But yeah, with the holidays around the corner, I'm gonna have to pick and chose and this will probably wait so that I can buy Mario 3D World instead.

Plus, just beat OoT on 3DS, and want to play Wind Waker HD next.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1119 on: November 21, 2013, 11:22:04 PM »
DOWNLOADING ALBW NOW WOOOOOOOOOOOOT

I am so fucking excited for this and I forgot about it till just now. I get home from work, see a review, get on the eShop and WHOOOOOAAAAAA it's actually released at midnight. I really did not think it'd be on time. Awesome fucking blossom. This game looks amazing and from all accounts I've heard thus far, it is and more.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.