Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 166574 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #1085 on: July 09, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »
Yes! It's great!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: July 28, 2016, 07:19:45 AM »
Pink Floyd to release massive 27-disc 'The Early Years 1965-1972' box-set on November 11.

https://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/95291?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1087 on: July 28, 2016, 07:30:33 AM »
Pink Floyd to release massive 27-disc 'The Early Years 1965-1972' box-set on November 11.

https://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/95291?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Now that's something worth looking into! Twelve hours of audio and fifteen hours of video!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1088 on: July 28, 2016, 10:14:57 AM »
And at only $700.00, a bargain!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1089 on: July 28, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »
That's a good set, right there.  I have to figure out a way to get it for < $700, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1090 on: July 28, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »
I love Floyd, but there is no chance in hell I buy that. I have everything I need regarding pre-Dark Side Floyd.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1091 on: July 28, 2016, 05:01:55 PM »
I love Floyd, but there is no chance in hell I buy that. I have everything I need regarding pre-Dark Side Floyd.

That is quite expensive.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: July 28, 2016, 09:02:25 PM »
That is definitely an item for the collector.

Man, has this good of a band ever taken so many bad group photos?

What the hell is going on at 3:30 in that video??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: July 29, 2016, 07:38:27 AM »
Interesting perhaps to only me, but there is a show on there from my birthday.  Not "the same day but different year", but literally, the exact moment that I was crawling my way, hand by hand, to escape the womb, so was Pink Floyd recording a show that is now officially released on this set.   That might be worth the $700 right there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1094 on: July 29, 2016, 08:04:35 AM »
That's awesome! :lol

I too have a thing about events that took place the day I was born.  If I see video or whatever of it, I always think "and at that moment somewhere else in the world, I was making my first appearance."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: July 29, 2016, 08:16:16 AM »
I'm on the fence about getting this box set. The 1965-1972 period is not my favourite from them. I'll decide when it's released and I know how much it will cost me.

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1096 on: September 13, 2016, 04:11:20 AM »
I've been reading this topic with great interest and decided to share with you why I've recently become a big PF fan while having ignored them for decades. When I was much younger, the only song that always resonated with me was of course that radio-friendly hit single called 'Another Brick in the Wall'. I can't think of anything else by them that ever spoke to me in the same way. I was into many kinds of music, just not Pink Floyd. Many years went by, I discovered my all-time favorite band Dream Theater in 2007, which was also a revelation of immense magnitude. And I was already in my late 30s when I first heard DSOTM on Youtube because somebody at work wanted me to listen to it. That was around mid 2013. I was awe-struck. Why did I not hear this gem before? Since then I've been steadily buying the 2011 remastered albums from the 70s (except for Obscured by Clouds), 80s and 90s. It was like getting hit in the face repeatedly by all the awesomeness that for some inexplicable reason had remained hidden so long. Where had this band been all my life??? Why had I not heard Comfortably Numb before on the radio? I seem to remember Money, but it has never stuck with me, not even that awesome bass riff, because I was mainly into other genres / bands at the time.

My favorites are: Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall and The Division Bell.

The discovery of Pink Floyd has unfortunately come at a time when the band officially ended. Ironic that their briliant music has such an impact at this stage in my life. Twenty years ago I probably wouldn't have cared. But now... well I'm glad I've joined the club.

And personally, I tend to prefer the Roger Waters dominated albums, but Gilmour is an amazing musician / songwriter too. His guitar solo's give me the chills.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1097 on: September 13, 2016, 05:26:03 AM »
I've been reading this topic with great interest and decided to share with you why I've recently become a big PF fan while having ignored them for decades. When I was much younger, the only song that always resonated with me was of course that radio-friendly hit single called 'Another Brick in the Wall'. I can't think of anything else by them that ever spoke to me in the same way. I was into many kinds of music, just not Pink Floyd. Many years went by, I discovered my all-time favorite band Dream Theater in 2007, which was also a revelation of immense magnitude. And I was already in my late 30s when I first heard DSOTM on Youtube because somebody at work wanted me to listen to it. That was around mid 2013. I was awe-struck. Why did I not hear this gem before? Since then I've been steadily buying the 2011 remastered albums from the 70s (except for Obscured by Clouds), 80s and 90s. It was like getting hit in the face repeatedly by all the awesomeness that for some inexplicable reason had remained hidden so long. Where had this band been all my life??? Why had I not heard Comfortably Numb before on the radio? I seem to remember Money, but it has never stuck with me, not even that awesome bass riff, because I was mainly into other genres / bands at the time.

The discovery of Pink Floyd has unfortunately come at a time when the band officially ended. Ironic that their briliant music has such an impact at this stage in my life. Twenty years ago I probably wouldn't have cared. But now... well I'm glad I've joined the club.

And personally, I tend to prefer the Roger Waters dominated albums, but Gilmour is an amazing musician / songwriter too. His guitar solo's give me the chills.

The Division Bell is an under-appreciated album. High Hopes is such a beautiful song. It might even be a Top 10 PF song for me.

They have one of the songs from the box set on Spotify, Granchester Meadows, from a BBC Radio Session. Beautiful song.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2016, 05:28:25 AM »
It definitely is Top 10 for me.

Offline Art

« Reply #1099 on: September 13, 2016, 05:58:53 AM »

I had a similar experience with PF, i only "discovered" them in the last 4/5 years. My favorites are DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, animals and The Division Bell.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1100 on: September 13, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
I love the Division Bell, my husband doesn't. I think its a very polarized album.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1101 on: September 13, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
I love the Division Bell, my husband doesn't. I think its a very polarized album.

Would you say your feelings are Poles Apart?  ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:49 AM »

Would you say your feelings are Poles Apart?  ;)

That's a bad pun. Take It Back.

:neverusethis:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1103 on: September 13, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
Glad to see this thread Coming back to life.

Anyway, welcome to the club, SolidSnake. I also prefer the Roger Waters dominated albums, although I adore the Syd Barrett stuff as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1104 on: September 13, 2016, 10:49:09 AM »
Casual Floyd fan, but I just realized I have never posted in this thread (at least, not that I can remember), and just felt obligated to chime in.  For some reason, I never liked this band growing up.  But I think it was less a factor of their actual music and more of just a misplaced general disdain I had for '60s and '70s rock in general, as a kid who was discovering music for the first time in the '80s, mostly through various forms of '80s "hard rock" (Scorpions, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Ozzy, etc.).  Floyd was "one of those old bands" that would make me tune out or change the station if they came on the radio.  Just never paid attention.

That changed in '91 when I saw a Floyd cover band at a small club in Panama City, Florida.  They were really good and prompted me to go out and buy an album or two.  I picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Momentary Lapse of Reason, and loved them both.  I still do to this day.  And while I am not by any stretch a die hard Floyd fan and only have a few albums, I appreciate mostly everything I have ever heard from them.  To this day, I still don't have that many albums.  I only have:

Wish You Were Here
The Delicate Sound of Thunder
The Division Bell
Pulse

I need to get Animals and The Wall eventually, but somehow have just never pulled the trigger.  I don't really have a strong desire to get any of their other albums.  Am I completely missing out?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: September 13, 2016, 11:11:42 AM »
Personally, I think you need to have Animals to understand the Roger Waters Floyd; it's a more pure version of the Floyd that did DSOTM, WYWH, and TW, and I think you need to have The Wall as a matter of musical education. It's one of those albums that transcends it's band/creator.  EVERYONE has heard Comfortably Numb and ABITW, Part whatever, but I think you need to hear the whole thing in it's entirely as a story to really get it's importance.   And I think you'll listen to it and say "AH!  Now I know what "[insert band]" was trying to do there!"   it is a HUGELY influential album.

As for the rest, I can't honestly say "You're missing out!" but I think The Final Cut is woefully underrated, and I personally listen to Atom Heart Mother, Obscured by Clouds and Meddle as much as I do the later albums.  Especially AHM.  The suite is top three Floyd song for me (and they are a top ten band for me).   They are rougher, less developed versions of those later albums, but if you're at all interested in the progress and maturation of a band, they are integral. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1106 on: September 13, 2016, 11:14:34 AM »
I'd say get Animals and The Wall and just stop.  Animals is my favorite by virtue of being the most musically consistent and engaging, with Wish You Were Here a close second.  The Dark of the Moon gets the award for most fully realized concept and of course is the one that put them on the map.  I know a lot of people love The Wall, and I played the hell out of it back when it was new, but it rarely gets any play from me these days.  Still, I think you should at least check it out and see what all the fuss is about.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1107 on: September 13, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
Casual Floyd fan, but I just realized I have never posted in this thread (at least, not that I can remember), and just felt obligated to chime in.  For some reason, I never liked this band growing up.  But I think it was less a factor of their actual music and more of just a misplaced general disdain I had for '60s and '70s rock in general, as a kid who was discovering music for the first time in the '80s, mostly through various forms of '80s "hard rock" (Scorpions, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Ozzy, etc.).  Floyd was "one of those old bands" that would make me tune out or change the station if they came on the radio.  Just never paid attention.

That changed in '91 when I saw a Floyd cover band at a small club in Panama City, Florida.  They were really good and prompted me to go out and buy an album or two.  I picked up Dark Side of the Moon and Momentary Lapse of Reason, and loved them both.  I still do to this day.  And while I am not by any stretch a die hard Floyd fan and only have a few albums, I appreciate mostly everything I have ever heard from them.  To this day, I still don't have that many albums.  I only have:

Wish You Were Here
The Delicate Sound of Thunder
The Division Bell
Pulse

I need to get Animals and The Wall eventually, but somehow have just never pulled the trigger.  I don't really have a strong desire to get any of their other albums.  Am I completely missing out?

While I love The Wall, it's not even in my Top 5 PF albums. Those would be Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, Meddle, and Obscured by Clouds

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: September 13, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
The Wall is definitely bottom 5 IMO. Top 5 for me would have to be Animals, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon, Saucerful of Secrets, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1109 on: September 13, 2016, 08:23:04 PM »
The Wall is a good album, but its legacy transcends its actual quality. It's a very important album, but it's not their best (I know many who might disagree with that). I would say check it out because... it's The Wall. That's almost reason enough to do so.

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1110 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:38 AM »

I love its laidback nature. And it ends on such a high note (the bell, literally speaking).

It's actually my last purchased album from a couple of weeks ago.

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #1111 on: September 14, 2016, 01:13:22 AM »
I've yet to hear their pre-1971 stuff, and Waters' and Gilmour's solo work.

Amused to Death came in the mail just yesterday.  ;D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1112 on: September 14, 2016, 01:17:39 AM »

Animals and The Wall are essentials (though I don't enjoy The Wall all that much, it's still a worthwhile listen, and definitely an interesting - I just never really connected with it), but I'd also like to like to draw your attention to Meddle and Atom Heart Mother. Both are less consistent albums than, say, Wish You Were Here, but the best songs on each album are definitely on par with the best things that Pink Floyd has done.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: September 14, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
Except for "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", which you listen to once for archival purposes (it is part of the Floyd history, what with the later "Household Objects" experiments) Atom Heart Mother is a WAYYYYYYYYYY better album than it gets credit for, in my opinion. 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1114 on: September 14, 2016, 09:38:40 AM »
It took me a long time, but as my taste changed over the years, I somehow found an angle to get into Atom Heart Mother. Once you get there, it's easy to dig the album... though perhaps the Breakfast overstays its welcome.

I can't say the same for Meddle. Besides the obviously great opener and closer, I still don't like any of the other songs.

It's a damn shame "Embryo" never made it onto either album, though.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1115 on: September 14, 2016, 10:36:57 AM »
Animals is a must, and so is The Wall.

As for the others, I think you'll find that every album has its appreciators. For example, I'd rank The Final cut and Atom heart mother right behind the big four, and I'm also a huge fan of the Syd Barrett days. But then again, those are all releases for the hardcore fans.

I have to agree on the thoughts about Meddle above. Great opener, terrific closer, extremely average material in the middle.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: September 14, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
It took me a long time, but as my taste changed over the years, I somehow found an angle to get into Atom Heart Mother. Once you get there, it's easy to dig the album... though perhaps the Breakfast overstays its welcome.

I can't say the same for Meddle. Besides the obviously great opener and closer, I still don't like any of the other songs.

It's a damn shame "Embryo" never made it onto either album, though.

Animals is a must, and so is The Wall.

As for the others, I think you'll find that every album has its appreciators. For example, I'd rank The Final cut and Atom heart mother right behind the big four, and I'm also a huge fan of the Syd Barrett days. But then again, those are all releases for the hardcore fans.

I have to agree on the thoughts about Meddle above. Great opener, terrific closer, extremely average material in the middle.

BROS!  FEARLESS!!!   Interpolation "You'll Never Walk Alone"!   

Sorry, I jest, but that is one of my favorite Floyd songs ever (though the track "Seamus" is, pun clearly intended, a dog). 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1117 on: September 14, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »

I love its laidback nature. And it ends on such a high note (the bell, literally speaking).

It's actually my last purchased album from a couple of weeks ago.

I love the album, and loved High Hopes the first time I discovered it by downloading a video from PULSE before the DVD was released.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1118 on: September 14, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »
Animals is incredible. I think it's my favorite PF album.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1119 on: September 14, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »
Easily my favourite. All 3 of the main songs would finish amongst my top 10 Floyd tracks, Dogs being my overall #1.