Obscured by Clouds
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Wall
The Final Cut
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Author Topic: The Pink Floyd Thread  (Read 166642 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Pink Floyd Thread
« Reply #560 on: April 20, 2012, 06:32:11 AM »
Awesome, I actually owe Barto a big thanks cause I was totally gonna miss that show and not paying attention in the midst of the DT and Rammstein concerts planning for the next couple month.
We're to expect the set list to be The Wall from start to finish without any additions from other albums, right?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #561 on: April 20, 2012, 08:05:10 AM »
Gonna see Roger Waters perform The Wall in a few days  :'(
It's hard to deal with that fact.

I too would be sad if I had paid a bazillion dollars to see an overrated album and nothing else. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: April 20, 2012, 10:33:38 AM »
I love the album but that's not all there's to it, this is part of music history that attracted my father's generation and mine, it captures the essence of it's era culturally and set new standards and a format for concept albums that influenced a bunch of amazing albums of the same nature since then til now imo.
If I can say I've seen The Wall performed live by an original member of Pink Floyd I'd feel like I was a part of music history. I'm gonna be experiencing the psychedelic rock that kids got high to in the late 70's performed by the same guy who performed it to them then, this is so mind blowing and I'm pessimistic by nature that as I type these words I'm 90% sure something is gonna go wrong cause the whole thing sounds too good to be true  :lol
And if seeing this visuals live are not enough to droll after the experience then you and me are not the same species and you should take me to your leader.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #563 on: April 20, 2012, 01:14:36 PM »
I love the album but that's not all there's to it, this is part of music history that attracted my father's generation and mine, it captures the essence of it's era culturally and set new standards and a format for concept albums that influenced a bunch of amazing albums of the same nature since then til now imo.
If I can say I've seen The Wall performed live by an original member of Pink Floyd I'd feel like I was a part of music history. I'm gonna be experiencing the psychedelic rock that kids got high to in the late 70's performed by the same guy who performed it to them then, this is so mind blowing and I'm pessimistic by nature that as I type these words I'm 90% sure something is gonna go wrong cause the whole thing sounds too good to be true  :lol
And if seeing this visuals live are not enough to droll after the experience then you and me are not the same species and you should take me to your leader.

+1
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #564 on: April 22, 2012, 04:30:06 PM »
I just listened to Echoes for the first time in a long while and hot damn I forgot how much I love this song.

I think my heart skipped a beat at that one part around the 18 minute mark. Definitely took my breath away.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:35:54 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #565 on: April 22, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
I love Echoes so much. For added amazingness listen to it from Gilmour's Live from Gdansk.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »

how about i just take you to the '80s when they did this show nearly the same way, except it was entirely new then and not a rehash of the same thing one man can't let go of because it was about himself, his dad and his generation, and he made a buttload of money off of it – but now featuring the graphics technology already used to better effect by Nine Inch Nails in 2008.

sorry, i just don't see how Waters touring The Wall is anything other than the glorification of his own ego and legacy. look at him jumping about while Gilmour solos on that video you linked — is this supposed to be something i should pay money to see? to be stuffed at the back of a gigantic room with a million people in front of me while i watch HD projections on a giant wall and pretend that this is still unique and relevant breathtaking like it probably was in 1980?

i realize lots of people figure they're getting something worthwhile out of it, and you're probably one of them, and i'm hardly going to try to deny it from you. however, i do think it's worth presenting the other side, as it's just as valid for some of us... or just me! ::)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: April 22, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
sorry, i just don't see how Waters touring The Wall is anything other than the glorification of his own ego and legacy.

If Roger Waters legacy needs glorification I'm willing to glorify it, the man is living legend of composition and music writing in my book and a lot people's. And I only wish he'd do a similar tour for Animals.

. look at him jumping about while Gilmour solos on that video you linked — is this supposed to be something i should pay money to see?

What living potato fuck does that even mean? It just sounds bitter. There's a shit load of performers who do silly moves and jump around  on stage. And I wanna see this particular one do it. It's an expression and this show is his own world.

how about i just take you to the '80s when they did this show nearly the same way, except it was entirely new then and not a rehash of the same thing one man can't let go of because it was about himself, his dad and his generation

Yeah how about you take me back to the 80's to see? Not possible? Why did you have to offer and get my hopes up? :lol Cause time travel is not possible yet and I was A CHILD in the 80's so I didn't get your sweet chance at it, so I really wanna see it performed by it's creator and this is the only possible way I can do it! Dang.
What you call rehashment is to most period PF fans reminiscent and for my generation a chance to have a glimpse into the past and their world, among so much other things explained in my previous post.

but now featuring the graphics technology already used to better effect by Nine Inch Nails in 2008.

That's pretty amazing, never seen that. Had to mute the video to watch but it's really impressive. And now I have the chance to see something of the same technology to good music. But this is not "to a better effect" imo, we just disagree there.

to be stuffed at the back of a gigantic room with a million people in front of me while i watch HD projections on a giant wall and pretend that this is still unique and relevant breathtaking like it probably was in 1980?

1. The venues are not that stuffed, it's also all seating and somewhat classy.
2. You forgot to mention that there will be music played..
3. Again; the 80's are a no go for me until Doc. calls me up to the Twin Pines Mall parking lot for an experiment.

i realize lots of people figure they're getting something worthwhile out of it, and you're probably one of them, and i'm hardly going to try to deny it from you. however, i do think it's worth presenting the other side, as it's just as valid for some of us... or just me! ::)

You're of course entitled to your opinion and excuse me for replying with the same tone your post had, I'm fixing it towards the end of the post just like you did too :lol
I'd say you're in the minority about your opinion but it is valid for Nick apparently so here you go :D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #568 on: April 23, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »
All this Wall talk got me re-listening to the The Wall (disc 1) last night and I think I discovered a new found appreciation for it.

Disc two really soured me on the whole album kinda, especially songs like The Trial, but disc one is pretty solid up to and including Young Lust. Things get a little too Waters-ish for my taste after that point, but not so much to not still really enjoy disc 1.

So I think I'm gonna to be putting this into rotation much more from now on.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #569 on: April 23, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
One of the best parts of The Wall is Mother/Goodbye Blue Sky  :heart

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: April 23, 2012, 08:42:27 PM »
One of the best parts of The Wall is Mother/Goodbye Blue Sky THE WHOLE THING :heart

FIFY
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: April 23, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
Blue Jay, I know how you feel about The Wall, but there are at least 3 Pink Floyd albums better  ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: April 25, 2012, 03:41:22 AM »
The Wall isn't just an album to me... It help me through several incredibly emotional parts of my life... Typical high school teenage depression... and then later my father's death. I identify with it on so many levels... It is and will always be my all time favourite album. :D

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #573 on: May 20, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »
Updated ranking:

1. The Wall
-----
2. Animals
3. Wish You Were Here
-----
4. Ummagumma
5. Meddle
-----
6. The Dark Side of the Moon
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #574 on: May 30, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
Any appreciation here for the "The Man and the Journey" suite?  Link to a great recording is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUbCPEtt3ms
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #575 on: May 30, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »
Don't think I've checked in with this thread yet.  Quite pleased to see Animals kicking the shit out of The Wall in the poll. I think the Wall is a fine album and a fantastic accomplishment, but it's not the musical triumph that some of their other albums are. 

sorry, i just don't see how Waters touring The Wall is anything other than the glorification of his own ego and legacy.

If Roger Waters legacy needs glorification I'm willing to glorify it, the man is living legend of composition and music writing in my book and a lot people's. And I only wish he'd do a similar tour for Animals.
Yeah, that was pretty much my take on this tour.  AFAIC, Roger's not as wealthy as he deserves to be.  As I thought about it, I've probably spent five to six hundred on various PF related albums and concerts over the years.  In light of the amount of joy and pleasure those guys have brought me, I consider it a hugely profitable investment.  I'm guessing Trent Reznor has about $45 of my money over the years, and after that Outside Tour, I'd really like a refund. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #576 on: June 03, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »
Voted for The Wall, Dark Side and Animals.   

But I just had to chime in and say that I've been listening to Momentary Lapse lately...and damn that is a much cooler album than it got credit for when it first came out. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #577 on: June 03, 2012, 10:09:18 PM »

But I just had to chime in and say that I've been listening to Momentary Lapse lately...and damn that is a much cooler album than it got credit for when it first came out.

I agree both of the last two albums (Momentary/Division Bell) are better than they get credit for IMO. I could never say they were on the level with their top albums but for me they both have some exceptional stuff on them and are quite good overall.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #578 on: June 04, 2012, 06:39:46 AM »

I agree both of the last two albums (Momentary/Division Bell) are better than they get credit for IMO. I could never say they were on the level with their top albums but for me they both have some exceptional stuff on them and are quite good overall.

This. Especially Divsion is amazing, with two of my all-time favourite PF songs (High Hopes and Coming Back to Life). Not quite up there with the top albums, that's true, but it's amazing nonetheless.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline showdonttell

• So energy! Powah!
« Reply #579 on: July 30, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
Wish You Were Here
The Wall
The Division Bell

Although really, it's hard to pick. Wish You Were Here is a good proggy album, The Wall is obviously a stellar concept album, and The Division Bell is just a well-written album overall. Of course, there's the obvious Dark Side I left out, as well as Animals, which almost beat out The Wall. Honourable mention to The Final Cut. Even though it gets shit for being primarily a Waters effort, I don't mind because I enjoy his solo stuff, so it works out! Also AMLOR doesn't get enough love!
https://www.last.fm/user/kokocijo

So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #580 on: July 30, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »
Wish You Were Here is their best imo. one of my all time favs
I love beautiful things.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #581 on: July 31, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
The Final Cut is the only Pink Floyd album I don't really like. It's missing the atmospherics of Richard Wright's keyboards and apart from two or three really cool moments, it makes me very depressed.
Agree. Wright's is missing and Gilmour & Mason are reduced to session musicians.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #582 on: July 31, 2012, 12:22:48 PM »
The top three ranked are my Top 3.  :hefdaddy

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
Echoes is by far my favourite Pink Floyd song, and also favourite song overall, mainly because there is no single moment I can pinpoint as being what I most like about it, except for that one brief moment between 0:00 and 23:31. The whole thing (to me) is just a perfect and diverse piece. When I first heard it, I'd only heard the 16 minute version on the best of (man, that hasn't been heard in about five or six years), but I got the album Meddle and was utterly entranced by it. It's just so perfect.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: July 31, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
I am not really a fan of anything Floyd until DSotM, and Echoes has always been a favorite song of mine by anyone. A good example of whole of a song being greater than the sum of its parts. Something Floyd always excelled at.

That being said, I almost like the versions Gilmour did on his ‘On An Island’ tour more. Can’t describe why, the song just has a little more… oomph.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #585 on: July 31, 2012, 02:54:51 PM »
I'm seeing The Australian Pink Floyd show in about a week, are they any good? :)

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: July 31, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »
They have David Gilmour's endorsement.

I have heard great things about them.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #587 on: July 31, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
I am not really a fan of anything Floyd until DSotM, and Echoes has always been a favorite song of mine by anyone.

???  Does not compute.  You're not a fan of anything Floyd until DSotM, but one of your favorite songs came before that?

Offline AMindBesideItself

« Reply #588 on: July 31, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Meddle is underrated as FUCK.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: July 31, 2012, 07:30:14 PM »
I am not really a fan of anything Floyd until DSotM, and Echoes has always been a favorite song of mine by anyone.

???  Does not compute.  You're not a fan of anything Floyd until DSotM, but one of your favorite songs came before that?

Sorry if I phrased that weird. But yes, it is strange that I am not generally a fan of Floyd pre-DSotM, but Echoes is a favorite of mine.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #590 on: July 31, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »
Meddle is underrated as FUCK.
Yes, very awesome album. Pillow of Winds and Fearless are nice overlooked songs.

And speaking of lost gems, one early Floyd song I've been loving recently is Summer of '68, such a cool song.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #591 on: July 31, 2012, 07:39:01 PM »
Meddle is fantastic. Everything flows really well. Except Seamus, I hate that song. Make that dog shut the fuck up.  :lol

Though I am still surprised how much I love Atom Heart Mother. I was dreading that album the first time I was about to listen to it because I generally can't stand pre-Meddle PF, but from the first listen it shoved its way into my personal PF top five.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #592 on: July 31, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
Dark Side of the Moon is when they started their amazing run of concept albums, but I'm good with everything all the way back to UmmagummaMeddle is awesome; the only difference between it and the albums that came next is that the tunes aren't all strung together.  The songs themselves are great.  Atom Heart Mother is a little rougher, but I like where they were going with it.  The spacey, psycho-rock they'd developed up to that point was evolving into real prog epics.  And I'm apparently one of the few that's fine with just about everything on Ummagumma.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #593 on: July 31, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
Ummagumma is my least favorite PF album...followed closely by More.

I *adore* pretty much every thing else they've ever done.   (except the title track from Saucerful....what the crap is that???)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #594 on: July 31, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »
Obligatory album ranking:

14. The Final Cut
13. More
12. Obscured by Clouds
11. Ummagumma
10. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
9. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
8. A Sauceful of Secrets
7. Atom Heart Mother
6. The Division Bell
5. The Wall
4. Meddle
3. Animals
2. Wish You Were Here
1. The Dark Side of the Moon

1-4 are 5 star albums. 5-7 are 4. 8-11 are 3. The last 3 are 2.