Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 219738 times)

Offline The Realm

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #3465 on: January 30, 2024, 02:21:00 AM »
Season 4 of True Detective is back and this time the setting is in icy Alaska. Man what a killer first episode, I'm loving the atmosphere and the whole setting of this episode. The vibe was gloomy, creepy and draws obvious inspiration from The Thing. It's just six episodes this season so they waste no time setting up the intrigue and the characters. I'm a sucker for this kind of setting and just loved the first episode.

Yes, I also loved the first episode. Just awesome. There was so much in there and so much to unpack. Also really felt like a strong 'spiritual' connection to season 1 (which is one of my favourite ever seasons of tv). Great to see Jodie Foster on the small screen, one of my favourite actresses.

Ditto to all of this. Really strong premier episode and am digging the spiritual/paranormal element that is hinted at. Very intriguing story they’ve laid the foundation for.

Episode 2 was fantastic as well. More layers peeled, more revealed and really makes me think of the show The Killing. Very similar vibe.

Yeah, kind of a similar vibe to The Killing. The story is really developing in a way to allow us to really get inside the characters and what is going on in and around the town. The constant darkness (of the day and night) is also a big winner for me. The show is beautifully filmed. Anyway, lots of revelations in episode 2 and some real strong connections to season 1 of True Detective too, including setting up the possibility of a big time cameo at some stage...awesome show, really enjoying it so far.

Episode 3 had some amazing cinematography, it has so many looks of The Thing. It also had some obvious nods to season 1 with the story telling being different from what was shown. I like how they make it look there are so many supernatural elements which IMO are a red herring. Regardless, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

Very cool season so far. And I too am suspect of the supernatural angle that is being showcased. I am enjoying the heck out of that angle/aspect don’t get me wrong but I can totally see that being…..as mentioned……a red herring.

Loving the show. It is right up my alley, just so many things in this I love about story telling in tv/movies. So many subtle character nods and hints of the past, there is tons to take in. As for the supernatural elements yeah, I also think these are red herrings, or graphic interpretations of characters minds, thoughts and feelings.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3466 on: January 30, 2024, 08:16:36 AM »
Loving this season as well.  The supernatural elements COULD be a red herring, as they were to some extent in season 1, but I actually hope not.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3467 on: January 30, 2024, 08:18:20 AM »
I think the supernatural elements are similar to what they show for Rust Cohle's hallucinations in season 1.  Plus in this setting in Alaska, they've mentioned a few times people see things because of the thin air and cold. I need to do a rewatch of the entire series. It's been a while.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3468 on: January 30, 2024, 08:18:50 AM »
Loving True Detective Season 5 as well, but am a little bummed to learn that it's only 6 episodes–they have a lot to sew up, but not a lot of time to do it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3469 on: January 30, 2024, 08:30:58 AM »
Yeah, this season of True Detective has been awesome.

I am really loving the supernatural elements, it's giving it that eery feeling from season 1 that helped make season 1 so great.  But Jodie Foster literally said in the last episode "there's a real explanation for this" (paraphrase as I forget the exact quote, but it was direct) and I think that's what we will eventually get.  Think about that dirty water.  I think the mine has fucked with the water supply and that water supply is fucking with the people.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3470 on: January 30, 2024, 08:36:49 AM »
Started:
- Sex Education, final season. Probably won't be as good as the first one and with the change of setting the magic is somehow gone, but I loved the series and I just have to see it through. I hope they won't screw it up.

The final season is definitely not nearly as good as the rest of the show, but it has good moments. And, despite it being one of (if not the) lowest rated episode on IMDB, I actually thought the finale was done pretty well. Rushed a bit, a bit forced at times, but it gave really great resolutions, I thought, to most of the characters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3471 on: January 30, 2024, 09:24:26 AM »
Finished season 2 of Fargo. Another fantastic character in Mike Milligan. Wish there was more of him. This season was more of a trainwreck than the first one. I literally had no idea where it was going. I will say, I am baffled by the UFO bit. Just a really odd thing that was just there and never explained. Bugs me a bit, but another great season. Should be starting season 3 tonight, hopefully.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3472 on: January 30, 2024, 09:46:15 AM »
Finished season 2 of Fargo. Another fantastic character in Mike Milligan. Wish there was more of him. This season was more of a trainwreck than the first one. I literally had no idea where it was going. I will say, I am baffled by the UFO bit. Just a really odd thing that was just there and never explained. Bugs me a bit, but another great season. Should be starting season 3 tonight, hopefully.

It was probably an homage to the UFO frenzy of the time setting. Back then it seems that UFO were the hot thing, so they paid homage to that by adding an UFO sub-sub-plot.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3473 on: January 30, 2024, 01:27:10 PM »
Finished Season One of Reacher. Great stuff!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3474 on: January 30, 2024, 08:13:19 PM »
Almost done with The Pacific.  I watched Band of Brothers a number of months ago.  After this I'll go on to Masters of the Air. 

The Spielberg/Hanks WWII combo seems to do pretty well. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3475 on: February 01, 2024, 09:25:08 PM »
Finished season 3 of Fargo. HO-LEE CRAP! Absolutely freakin' fantastic! The whole season just clicked with me. It's neck and neck with season 1 with me right now. I loved it that much. I just loved the lighter tone of this season (if you can call it light).

I don't know. Just so well done. Also loved seeing some of the quirky storytelling methods that Hawley really utilized in Legion pop up here. Not sure which was first, but for me Legion was first.

Did I say I loved this season?
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3476 on: February 02, 2024, 10:17:16 AM »
I've been watching Death and Other Details on Hulu.  Mandy Patinkin plays a Poirot-ish detective in a murder mystery at sea.  It's set in modern day, but the set design makes it feel like a classic whodunit.  Really enjoying it, so far.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3477 on: February 02, 2024, 11:45:58 AM »
Neil Young - The Monsanto Years
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3478 on: February 03, 2024, 07:46:03 PM »
Finished Season One of Reacher. Great stuff!

Indeed! Second one is a good, fun romp too, although not as good as the first, imo. Still absolutely worth watching anyway.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3479 on: February 05, 2024, 08:24:02 AM »
True Detective Season 4
Masters of the Air

Both are great so far! 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3480 on: February 05, 2024, 08:29:37 AM »
Last night's True Detective episode was one of the most positive and uplifitng episodes of TV I've ever seen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3481 on: February 05, 2024, 08:57:54 AM »
True Detective Season 4

Both are great so far!

Agree....been really good.

Masters of the Air

Both are great so far!

Ehhh....it's not been bad, I will say that. Jury is still out for me as to if it's 'great'. I am having an issue with the casting and overall tone of the show. One of the best aspects of Band of Brothers was the grittiness and 'realistic' feel of the show. MOTA is suffering from this being way to 'clean' looking and it just doesn't ring all that true to me. I don't hate it.....but not all in on it either.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3482 on: February 05, 2024, 09:44:43 AM »
Last night's True Detective episode was one of the most positive and uplifitng episodes of TV I've ever seen.

Haven't watched it yet and not really looking to dig in more to not be spoiled... but I have to assume this is a joke  :lol

Have to catch up on True Detective, the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm that just started, and Next Level Chef tonight.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3483 on: February 05, 2024, 11:00:34 AM »

Haven't watched it yet and not really looking to dig in more to not be spoiled... but I have to assume this is a joke  :lol
Possibly  :lol

We also started Lawmen: Bass Reeves and, at long last, Ted Lasso.  So far so good on both.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #3484 on: February 05, 2024, 03:17:49 PM »

Love the show, but not quite how I would describe it :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3485 on: February 05, 2024, 08:15:59 PM »
Close to finishing Pluto, only 2 episodes left. Amazing, just like the manga.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3486 on: February 06, 2024, 12:15:00 AM »
I keep seeing the positivity on here for the latest season of True Detective but on IMDB the rating for the current 4 episodes are low, a lot lower than the previous seasons (even season 4).  Is this the result of some anti woke review bomb nonsense?  Or is it generally not being recieved that well.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3487 on: February 06, 2024, 06:30:37 AM »
I keep seeing the positivity on here for the latest season of True Detective but on IMDB the rating for the current 4 episodes are low, a lot lower than the previous seasons (even season 4).  Is this the result of some anti woke review bomb nonsense?  Or is it generally not being recieved that well.

I read that the writer/creator of the first season publicly complained about the new season.  That may have something to do with review bombs, where people who hold the first season in high regard are just bitching because he did.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3488 on: February 06, 2024, 07:32:45 AM »

I think it was opposite day yesterday when Hef stated that. Holy moly what a dreary episode. I can't see even if/when they solve the case how there's any real silver lining here. There's a real somber feel to that town in general.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3489 on: February 06, 2024, 07:39:39 AM »

I think it was opposite day yesterday when Hef stated that. Holy moly what a dreary episode. I can't see even if/when they solve the case how there's any real silver lining here. There's a real somber feel to that town in general.

I'm not even watching the show and I kind of thought Hef was pulling our legs. ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3490 on: February 06, 2024, 08:40:42 AM »

I read that the writer/creator of the first season publicly complained about the new season.  That may have something to do with review bombs, where people who hold the first season in high regard are just bitching because he did.

Yeah, it seems like it's getting review bombed as literally every single person I've talked to have said they are enjoying the show and then you read the headlines about the season 1 writer shitting on the show for referencing season 1.  I don't really get it.  I mean, we need to see how this plays out in the end before I can form a solid opinion, but rihgt now, the ties to season 1 are some of the best parts about this season.  At least it adds a ton of intrigue.  It may not be important at all, who knows. 

And yeah, now that I caught up....  :lol of course there is nothing positive or uplifting.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3491 on: February 06, 2024, 08:52:36 AM »

Yeah, it seems like it's getting review bombed as literally every single person I've talked to have said they are enjoying the show and then you read the headlines about the season 1 writer shitting on the show for referencing season 1.  I don't really get it.  I mean, we need to see how this plays out in the end before I can form a solid opinion, but rihgt now, the ties to season 1 are some of the best parts about this season.  At least it adds a ton of intrigue.  It may not be important at all, who knows. 

And yeah, now that I caught up....  :lol of course there is nothing positive or uplifting.

Dude just needs to chill. He was involved in one of the single greatest seasons of television.....be happy about that and just STFU. It's unfair to compare the subsequent seasons of TD to S1 because it was just 'that' good....there's a reason everyone touts it as one of the best seasons of TV ever. But no need to go crapping all over other shows/seasons....there's not threat there of S1 being topped. The lore has already solidified it into it's rightful spot.

This season is good....I don't think it'll be S1 realm but it doesn't have to be. It's got it's own vibe and feel and it's been working well. I think the review bombs are like any other review bomb that we've seen....probably orchestrated by a small group that utilizes technology or social media to make it look worse than it really is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3492 on: February 06, 2024, 09:23:59 AM »

Ha ha

Yeah, I don't see a silver lining either. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3493 on: February 06, 2024, 10:17:32 AM »
This season is good....I don't think it'll be S1 realm but it doesn't have to be. It's got it's own vibe and feel and it's been working well. I think the review bombs are like any other review bomb that we've seen....probably orchestrated by a small group that utilizes technology or social media to make it look worse than it really is.

Yeah, I agree with this.  I might go as far to say Season 4 is better than Season 2 or 3 so far though. And it does seem like a lot of review bombs these days are due to a vocal minority that want to make everyone as miserable as they are.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3494 on: February 06, 2024, 10:33:03 AM »
Finally finished Pluto. What a great series, excellent adaptation of an excellent manga. I think I loved the ending here a bit more than the original one, as it felt a bit more fleshed out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3495 on: February 06, 2024, 10:47:26 AM »
So...Suits has managed to hold my interest, and I finished the short season 1 last night.  Suspension of disbelief regarding some of the complete legal nonsense is a must, but the characters are mostly engaging, so I'll probably see this through to the end of the series.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3496 on: February 06, 2024, 01:14:11 PM »
Extended Family.
La Brea.
Hightown.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3497 on: February 06, 2024, 01:22:09 PM »
Extended Family.

Yehh....I tried that one.  I like Abigail Spencer, but....  I thought the pilot was ok.  I missed the second episode.  I got about halfway through the third episode before turning it off and canceling the season pass on my DVR.

La Brea.

I think I watched all of s1 and intended to keep watching, but I think the long gap between the end of s1 and the start of s2 caused me to lose focus.  I'm seeing that it's coming to an end with a short final season, so I think I'll restart it and watch through when I'm done with Suits.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online faizoff

« Reply #3498 on: February 06, 2024, 08:39:36 PM »

It was a Christmas episode after all  ;)

The episode was quite a watch, most gripping one in the season so far, the dreariness of it reminds of season 2 and how bleak everything was. It also feels very similar to the first season of The Terror with those semi-hallucinatory/super natural scenes. The atmosphere continues to be haunting and gloomy as fuck.

I think they've done an amazing job of capturing the feeling of loss and hopelessness in such a desolate place. I think the acting has been fantastic so far and am loving all the characters.

At first I didn't read the reviews or check out any ratings, and like you was kinda surprised at the reception it's receiving on IMDB, reddit and other places. The user reviews seem to be complaining about every fucking thing on the show. If Nick the creator of the show has publicly decried it, that's kinda fucked up too.

I don't know if it's any coordinated review bombing but comments I read everywhere hate the acting, the editing, the music, the story, the setting, the cinematography, the visual effects.. so literally everything. Either way two more episodes and enjoying it quite a bit.

The viewership ratings if I'm reading right have been high this season and getting higher with each episode.

This article came out on Sunday before the episode dropped regarding a serial killer on trial for a double murder in Alaska. A Truly unfortunate and sad case. I wouldn't be surprised if the show has drawn several of these experiences and stories from real life.

How a stolen memory card with gruesome footage led to an Alaska murder trial | AP News
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3499 on: February 06, 2024, 08:51:22 PM »
I've finally resumed watching Severance. Great, great show, and it only gets more interesting by the minute.

I'm also watching a very interesting and unusual anime, Sonny Boy. Lovely, unique art style, that reminds me of Ping Pong and Tatami Galaxy.