Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 219663 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #2065 on: April 08, 2022, 12:41:27 PM »
'Severance' on Apple TV is really...really good. I highly recommend it. The story is told in a pretty unique manner...the show definitely feels like it's own show and doesn't remind you of anything you've watched before really. Maybe a hint of 'Memento' in there but it's just a solid show all around.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, I'm waiting for the season to end and will then catch up on it.

Really good show. Season 1 finale was epic. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. S2 has been approved BTW so it's not a one and done.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2066 on: April 08, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »
'Severance' on Apple TV is really...really good. I highly recommend it. The story is told in a pretty unique manner...the show definitely feels like it's own show and doesn't remind you of anything you've watched before really. Maybe a hint of 'Memento' in there but it's just a solid show all around.

I've heard a lot of good things about it, I'm waiting for the season to end and will then catch up on it.

Really good show. Season 1 finale was epic. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. S2 has been approved BTW so it's not a one and done.

Awesome to hear, timing is great because I'm done with my Mr. Robot series rewatch and was wondering what to pick up next.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2067 on: April 09, 2022, 04:06:06 PM »
Peacemaker

LMAO
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2068 on: April 10, 2022, 07:57:37 PM »
Just finished The Outlaws on Amazon. It's an odd one as it was co-created by Stephen Merchant and Elgin James. The show is a complete mix of their styles. You have Merchant's humor mixed with some crazy-scary crime drama. It's an odd duck to categorize. Oh, Christopher Walken is one of the stars. First season is only 6 episodes. I thought it really paid off well. They already filmed a second season so more is coming.

I will be starting Severance soon.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2069 on: April 11, 2022, 05:17:59 AM »
I'm back on Netflix and this is my current lineup:

Lucifer, last season (I will miss this silly nice show)
Brooklyn 99, latest season (gosh I love those guys)
Finished "How to become a tyrant", docu-series narrated by Peter Dinklage (it was cool)
Snowpiercer, season 3 (eh, just like the train, I'm on autopilot with this one, I'm watching it 'cause I'm invested in the story but without Jennifer Connelly, it kinda sucks)
Emily in Paris, started season 2 (call it a guilty pleasure, it's silly and it's corny and it's empty but sometimes you need some stupid stuff in your entertainment, and I'm a sucker for Paris, as romantic and idealized it might be portrayed)

And speaking of guilty pleasures, I guess soon I'll give in and see what Bridgeton is all about  ;D (stuff I know so far: it's a drama period with anachronistic elements and people bone all the time. Girls fawn over the duke. There's a cute blonde girl and there's also an actress from Derry Girls which everyone on the planet should watch, btw).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2070 on: April 11, 2022, 06:00:26 AM »

Awesome to hear, timing is great because I'm done with my Mr. Robot series rewatch and was wondering what to pick up next.

I finished this last night, great finale and show.

The aesthetic and overall vibe of the show reminds me of the first season of Homecoming that's on Prime. Love the concept of the show and the storytelling, first few episodes are a little slow IMO but they fit so not a big deal. I was so sure this was based on a book or some written work, kinda surprised it wasn't lol.  Stephen King commented on loving the finale and being grateful it got a second season.

I'm very glad it got renewed, I think that was a no-brainer with the reception it's been getting and presumably viewership. The story telling is great and while some parts are easy to figure out, I'm glad there's still a lot of intrigue left and they stopped the season at a good point without rushing or over-indulging.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2071 on: April 11, 2022, 07:34:12 AM »

The aesthetic and overall vibe of the show reminds me of the first season of Homecoming that's on Prime. Love the concept of the show and the storytelling, first few episodes are a little slow IMO but they fit so not a big deal. I was so sure this was based on a book or some written work, kinda surprised it wasn't lol.  Stephen King commented on loving the finale and being grateful it got a second season.

I'm very glad it got renewed, I think that was a no-brainer with the reception it's been getting and presumably viewership. The story telling is great and while some parts are easy to figure out, I'm glad there's still a lot of intrigue left and they stopped the season at a good point without rushing or over-indulging.

Cool....glad you dug it being that I was pimping it pretty hard. I enjoyed it a lot. I appreciated how the story was told in a way that it was unique enough to be different from most of the shows out there. They did a great job of investing you in every character they showed onscreen which is tough to do. And, there's plenty of mystery left to craft a cool story from....looking forward to the next season.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2072 on: April 11, 2022, 08:47:53 AM »

Cool....glad you dug it being that I was pimping it pretty hard. I enjoyed it a lot. I appreciated how the story was told in a way that it was unique enough to be different from most of the shows out there. They did a great job of investing you in every character they showed onscreen which is tough to do. And, there's plenty of mystery left to craft a cool story from....looking forward to the next season.

It is indeed an excellent story... going to get into the whole season spoilers below

I kinda wished I had followed the show on a week-to-week basis and it would've given me some time to chew on each episode and go over some details. Firstly, the whole concept of this dual nature of an individual is fanstastic. One part of the same individual not having any idea what the other does opens this huge can of worms at almost every single level. I'm glad they touched on it a little with how the senator and his wife were using severance to their advantage (forgetting or not experiencing the pain of childbirth, at least that's how I remember it)

Getting slowly introduced to the workplace with the mundane and absurd design with whatever work they're doing is another facet that's mainly tackled this season, and I'm glad the severed individuals are asking the same questions audiences would have, like what is life outside like or what is meaning of everything they are doing? How do the unsevered in control make their decisions, etc.. that whole aspect was so fascinating and is a huge exercise in ethics.

I like how in the beginning they purposefully made it look like it was set in the 90s with those old beat-up cars or even 70s with the long corridors and drab decor in the offices. But as they're in modern times it makes it all the more alluring. The twist in the finale of Helly being a Kegan heir was another fantastic addition that I did not see it coming at all. Coupled with the dead wife motivating Mark S to get severance, only to find out that  she's in fact NOT dead, how was Mark S motivated or manipulated to get the severance process done. Man, so many intriguing opportunities and Ben Stiller killed it with the directing of his episodes.

Season 2 should be a wild ride.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2073 on: April 11, 2022, 09:44:43 AM »

I REALLY did not enjoy the last season.  Not sure where you are in it, so all I'll say is that, with the exception of the Doug Judy episode, they really sucked most of the joy out of it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2074 on: April 11, 2022, 10:10:48 AM »
I always feel like that when a shows gets a shortened season to say goodbye. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2075 on: April 11, 2022, 01:17:05 PM »

I REALLY did not enjoy the last season.  Not sure where you are in it, so all I'll say is that, with the exception of the Doug Judy episode, they really sucked most of the joy out of it.

Well that sucks, I haven't caught up to the last two seasons of B99 and was hoping they ended strong. I enjoyed all the seasons up to that point though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2076 on: April 11, 2022, 01:37:48 PM »
I've seen a few episodes of Our Flag Means Death.

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2077 on: April 11, 2022, 02:45:25 PM »

Well that sucks, I haven't caught up to the last two seasons of B99 and was hoping they ended strong. I enjoyed all the seasons up to that point though.

Very general SPOILERS below.

Production was delayed because of COVID.  During that same time, multiple race related police incidents happened that caused the producers to scrap a couple episodes and change the focus of the season.  The season had significant "woke" and "cops are bad" overtones that, IMO, simply didn't work given the fact that the show was a sitcom that rarely, if ever, delved into non-comedic situations.  Not saying that it was devoid of good moments.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2078 on: April 12, 2022, 06:45:21 AM »
I always feel like that when a shows gets a shortened season to say goodbye.

Just in general, it's so interesting when a series KNOWS they are done after a time.   This Is Us is one of the best seasons of TV I've ever seen, in part because they are moving to get all (most? some?) of the stories wrapped up.  And they are doing a magnificent job.  Bull, with Michael Weatherly, is another one.  They are done after this season and you can see the threads of the end coming (Bull's heart issues, Marissa's love life, the Texas lawyer who is as hot as the Dallas summer heat coming back) and they're not doing as good a job, since it's a procedural and they need the episode-to-episode cases with closure.   But it's still a stronger season than the last two.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2079 on: April 12, 2022, 09:37:25 AM »

Very general SPOILERS below.

Production was delayed because of COVID.  During that same time, multiple race related police incidents happened that caused the producers to scrap a couple episodes and change the focus of the season.  The season had significant "woke" and "cops are bad" overtones that, IMO, simply didn't work given the fact that the show was a sitcom that rarely, if ever, delved into non-comedic situations.  Not saying that it was devoid of good moments.

I think I remember that now, people were generally disappointed they did that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2080 on: April 12, 2022, 10:15:35 AM »
We finished the Hulu miniseries 9 Perfect Strangers last night.  I did not realize the show was going to get so trippy.  It was good, great set of actors/actresses, but kind of left me feeling like there should have been more to it. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2081 on: April 14, 2022, 10:06:24 PM »
Finished Falling Skies yesterday.

Started Severance tonight. Watched the first 2 episodes. The show has the kind of vibe and aesthetic that I love. It reminds me of something like Legion crossed with Charlie Kaufman type weirdness, not that Legion wasn't weird enough. Kaufman is my favorite screenwriter so anything that reminds me of him is a winner. This is going to be a fun watch.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2082 on: April 15, 2022, 01:16:47 AM »
Also 2 eps into Severance and very impressed so far. Feels like The Shining in a way.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2083 on: April 15, 2022, 08:24:24 AM »
You guys will dig Severance for sure. The only bummer is that S2 isn’t available yet.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2084 on: April 16, 2022, 03:43:59 PM »
4 eps into Severance. Hugely impressed. If it carries on this good it'll be up there with the best of em.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2085 on: April 16, 2022, 07:26:15 PM »
4 eps into Severance. Hugely impressed. If it carries on this good it'll be up there with the best of em.

Spoiler alert - it does.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2086 on: April 16, 2022, 08:00:41 PM »
Just finished Severance. Just, wow. Those last 3 episodes. Just so much to unpack. Patricia Arquette is freaking scary. What a performance from her. Going to be a long wait until next season. I'll no doubt watch this again.

Did I say wow?

Offline The Realm

« Reply #2087 on: April 16, 2022, 10:05:01 PM »
Just finished Severance. Just, wow. Those last 3 episodes. Just so much to unpack. Patricia Arquette is freaking scary. What a performance from her. Going to be a long wait until next season. I'll no doubt watch this again.

Did I say wow?

That’s another wow from me. Wow!!

That finale was edge of the seat stuff. What a great show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2088 on: April 21, 2022, 07:50:19 AM »
Watched the first two episodes of 'Outer Range' on Amazon Prime with Josh Brolin. Pretty interesting show. It has a paranormal aspect to it that really gets intriguing at the end of Ep. 2.....will definitely be sticking with this one and seeing how it plays out.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2089 on: April 21, 2022, 03:14:55 PM »

Did I say wow?

Just finished Severance. Holy fucking shit. What an incredible season. Just built and built and built the tension. Some of the best TV I've ever seen. Seriously.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2090 on: April 22, 2022, 09:34:10 PM »
Not sure if anyone here watches Killing Eve, the series recently concluded with the 4th and final season.
It's based on a book of a character who's an extremely effective assassin and a cop character is obsessed with chasing and catching her.
Each season was run by a different showrunner first run by Phoebe Waller-Bridge of 'Fleabag' fame.

Everyone unanimously agrees the first season was the best and that is indeed true, it was the peak of the show and never reached those heights again. I personally really enjoyed all the subsequent seasons and the final season was a decent end to the show. Well I appear to be in the minority on this one and there is a lot of outrage at the way it ended which I sorta get.

To further add to the outrage, the author of the books revealed in an opinion article how disappointed he was with the ending and seemingly doesn't accept it as the end.

Either way the acting and cinematography was really great in the show but the story got very convoluted in the end and at times was very hard to figure out motives, I guess that happens when you have a new showrunner each season. It's almost like the previous season's character growth and events were discarded to make way for new setups. They started with an award winning writer and ended up picking an unknown lead writer with hardly any body of work. Shame really, it could've been a lot better though I'm not as outraged as others, I still thought it was decent.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2091 on: April 22, 2022, 09:45:02 PM »
Finally started Season 2 of Resident Alien. Such a weird, awesome show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2092 on: April 23, 2022, 09:28:19 AM »
Finally started Season 2 of Resident Alien. Such a weird, awesome show.

YES!!!!

Absolutely love this show. I’m a little bummed that they are splitting the season in half. I hope they announce a date for the second half of season 2…right now they are just saying “mid-2022” which should be fairly soon.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2093 on: April 23, 2022, 11:43:11 AM »
Not sure if anyone here watches Killing Eve, the series recently concluded with the 4th and final season.
It's based on a book of a character who's an extremely effective assassin and a cop character is obsessed with chasing and catching her.
Each season was run by a different showrunner first run by Phoebe Waller-Bridge of 'Fleabag' fame.

Everyone unanimously agrees the first season was the best and that is indeed true, it was the peak of the show and never reached those heights again. I personally really enjoyed all the subsequent seasons and the final season was a decent end to the show. Well I appear to be in the minority on this one and there is a lot of outrage at the way it ended which I sorta get.

To further add to the outrage, the author of the books revealed in an opinion article how disappointed he was with the ending and seemingly doesn't accept it as the end.

Either way the acting and cinematography was really great in the show but the story got very convoluted in the end and at times was very hard to figure out motives, I guess that happens when you have a new showrunner each season. It's almost like the previous season's character growth and events were discarded to make way for new setups. They started with an award winning writer and ended up picking an unknown lead writer with hardly any body of work. Shame really, it could've been a lot better though I'm not as outraged as others, I still thought it was decent.

I watched the first season, but was never motivated to watch beyond that, though I may do so at some point.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #2094 on: April 23, 2022, 11:46:18 AM »
I’ve had a free trial of Apple TV the past few months, and have watched Severance, For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, Defending Jacob, Invasion, and The Morning Show.

Some good stuff there.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2095 on: April 24, 2022, 08:34:29 AM »

Did I say wow?

Just finished Severance. Holy fucking shit. What an incredible season. Just built and built and built the tension. Some of the best TV I've ever seen. Seriously.
Also just finished and damn what a trip that was. The last couple of episodes had me on the edge. Really interesting concept that I actually think they nailed. Although since I think the concept of switching off work completly like in the show is an interesting thought I kinda wanted that without the evil corporate thing and so on but it probably wouldn't have been as intriguing to watch as a show.

Since I know John Turturro likes to take on interesting characters i'm 100% sure he took this gig not only for the great script but also for the opportunity to have a romantic fling with Christopher Walken  :lol[/quote]
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: April 24, 2022, 12:44:57 PM »
Watched the first two episodes of 'Outer Range' on Amazon Prime with Josh Brolin. Pretty interesting show. It has a paranormal aspect to it that really gets intriguing at the end of Ep. 2.....will definitely be sticking with this one and seeing how it plays out.

Though the 4 available episodes and I’m sold on this one. Very intriguing and I’m still unable to put my finger on how it’s all going to play out so that’s a good thing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2097 on: April 25, 2022, 05:25:08 AM »

Though the 4 available episodes and I’m sold on this one. Very intriguing and I’m still unable to put my finger on how it’s all going to play out so that’s a good thing.

I'm watched to episode 3.  Right now it's hovering on the 'this has potential' - It kind off needs a big episode or big moment to drive it there.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2098 on: April 25, 2022, 11:14:50 AM »

I'm watched to episode 3.  Right now it's hovering on the 'this has potential' - It kind off needs a big episode or big moment to drive it there.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure there is going be a 'big' single moment that does that in this series. This show has a very 'Leftovers' feel where it's just a culmination of many small reveals that add to the story rather than one 'AHA' moment. Which I'm good with. Ep. 4 has a couple reveals that start to piece the puzzle together a bit more. I'm fascinated by it all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2099 on: April 25, 2022, 12:11:59 PM »
We just finished Pieces of Her on Netflix.  Not bad, and definitely some good acting performances, but way too many flashbacks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.