Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 219741 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #1540 on: June 20, 2021, 10:57:55 AM »
How do you guys find the time to watch so much damn TV? I mean, are the days longer where you guys live?

I haven't watched a series regularly since NCIS*, and that stopped around season 8, or, around the time my first kid was born. My life is different, my commitments are different, and mostly my obligations are different now. If I watch a rerun of Wings over the weekend I consider that quality TV viewing time. I know there is a ton of good stuff on TV these days. If I was single, I'd be on the couch for hours every day.

I was talking with my stepson's partner today and I was kind of explaining this point about being in a different place.
From the sounds it, there seems to be some creative ideas out there, but I don't know. I am simply not interested in watching some drama. My life has had some drama, and I just don't find any escapism in that. I simply want to chill and relax. I think that's why my nights are spent watching sports and listening to music. It really does relax me.

The older I get, I also get a lot more critical. I'm always thinking.."That would never happen"..or.."No one would ever say that".
I'm also not interested in any plotline that includes infidelity, and certainly neither is my wife. To me, that's lazy writing. I also cannot watch any plotline that involves child tragedies. It makes me sick, actually.

I was never into comic books so the comic book movies don't get me going. Plus, the special effects these days are so awful. I was behind a guy on a plane a couple of years ago, and he was watching an Avengers movie. It looked so fucking stupid...and fake. I'm sure whoever does computer graphics is talented AF, but it looks so not real. I mean, the effects in a Japanese Godzilla destruction movies from the 60's looks way more real.

I saw the scenes of the new Fast & Furious movie and it showed multiple vehicles flipping over and shit, and WTF, it looks so fucking fake. I'm sure people find escapism in that. Hell, they're on their 9th movie, so I know I'm in the minority. And that's cool if someone likes that.

I watch the Marvel movies (and like them) and I'm a sort of Fast and Furious fan, but generally I agree with you.  It's harder and harder to immerse myself in so many shows, and there are fewer and fewer "touchstones" to relate to.   I dug the Mandalorian because of the Star Wars angle, but if that wasn't related, I wouldn't have made it past episode three.   The hipster shows are lost on me; I tried watching "Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist" with my wife and it was exhausting.  I can't imagine being that "quippy" and "sharp" at all times with my friends.  Those people CANNOT be having fun being that hip at every moment.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #1541 on: June 20, 2021, 04:27:54 PM »
I hear the point about not enjoying some stuff. There's a lot out there but a lot of sameyness. I love the Marvel stuff (I read a lot of comics but almost never super heroes) but can totally get why someone would just be going "Really? More of this shit?"  :lol

I usually struggle to enjoy police or dark drama (though i love that in comics). Marvel and Trek give me the right level of escape. Tried the Mandalorian but didn't click for me at all, for some reason. Not bothered about Star Wars, in general. Has no depth, afaic.

Just started watching Sweet Tooth which started quietly but could be great. Jeff Lemire is a fantastic comic book writer.

There's a thing on the BBC called Motherland which has the best character work I've seen for ages.

Really enjoyed Stumptown. Really cared about the characters.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1542 on: June 21, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »
TAC, I don't know what you mean about any effects from any of the Avengers films looking fake.  They have some of the finest people in the industry working for them.  They have an occasional janky scene, but the ones that come to mind aren't in any of the Avengers films.

I keep looking for ways to stay young, and I think you do the opposite lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1543 on: June 21, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
TAC, I don't know what you mean about any effects from any of the Avengers films looking fake.  They have some of the finest people in the industry working for them.  They have an occasional janky scene, but the ones that come to mind aren't in any of the Avengers films.

I think Tim has rabbit ears and no remote controller.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1544 on: June 21, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »

I totally acknowledge the talent involved in the creation of the effects. It just looks fake and cheesy to me, and totally unbelievable. Maybe it wasn't Avengers...it was the one with the giant purple guy.

This may have some truth to it. lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: June 21, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »
Maybe it wasn't Avengers...it was the one with the giant purple guy.

Barney? Grimace?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1546 on: June 21, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »
Maybe it wasn't Avengers...it was the one with the giant purple guy.

Barney? Grimace?

:lol

Jon Oliva
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: June 21, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
Daphne that bitch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1548 on: June 21, 2021, 07:00:19 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1549 on: June 21, 2021, 08:39:36 PM »
How do you guys find the time to watch so much damn TV? I mean, are the days longer where you guys live?

I haven't watched a series regularly since NCIS*, and that stopped around season 8, or, around the time my first kid was born. My life is different, my commitments are different, and mostly my obligations are different now. If I watch a rerun of Wings over the weekend I consider that quality TV viewing time. I know there is a ton of good stuff on TV these days. If I was single, I'd be on the couch for hours every day.

*someday I gotta catch up on this. What season are they up to now? 28? Is anyone from the early seasons still around?

Gibbs, McGee, Ducky are all around in varying degrees.  I miss Tony, but it's been really good lately as a show.  I'm a fan of Bishop (Emily Wickersham) and Torres (Wilbur Vulgarcomma), so there's that. I like not love McGee, and though I DO NOT like Kasie and Jimmy, I endure. 

McGee only worked for me as Tony's Probie/foil. I didn't like him nearly as much outside that role, and it was my first thought when I heard Tony was leaving. Likewise Tony worked best as a foil to Ziva. It was a much more enjoyable relationship to watch develop than him and Kate, but I realize the show and characters were still finding their footing early on. That cast worked so well together.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1550 on: June 22, 2021, 07:39:54 AM »
Probably belongs in the "irritating" thread, but anyone actually work in an environment like on these shows?  Where there is 100%, 24-7 dedication to the work, and what few social events there are outside work involve... everyone from work?   Where there is unequivocal, untempered respect and admiration and trust with every person on the staff?   

I've been blessed to have worked in some pretty good places, I've by and large had very good to great bosses, and I've been lucky enough to be friends with some of the people I work with outside of work.  But if I was in an NCIS environment, I'd go nuts.   I'd be Gibbs building a boat in my basement.  :) :) :)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: June 22, 2021, 08:00:31 AM »
Probably belongs in the "irritating" thread, but anyone actually work in an environment like on these shows?  Where there is 100%, 24-7 dedication to the work, and what few social events there are outside work involve... everyone from work?   Where there is unequivocal, untempered respect and admiration and trust with every person on the staff?   

It comes close in some parts of my job. I work for an investment bank and a lot people live, breath, and die work here, they hang out with each other all the time, work 10+ hour days, go drinking together (all pre-pandemic)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1552 on: June 22, 2021, 09:36:14 AM »
Not me, but then again, a show about people who work for an insurance company wouldn't be very exciting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1553 on: June 22, 2021, 09:39:56 AM »
Probably useless to spell it out, but everyone at TV-work is friends with each other and they all hang out together 'cause showing a set of coworkers and a set of friends / family is too dispersive.

There can be that togetherness, just yesterday I hang out with my new coworkers (new as in "I finally saw them 'cause until last month I was working at home), but TV shows simplify this way too much.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: June 22, 2021, 12:53:56 PM »
Probably useless to spell it out, but everyone at TV-work is friends with each other and they all hang out together 'cause showing a set of coworkers and a set of friends / family is too dispersive.

There can be that togetherness, just yesterday I hang out with my new coworkers (new as in "I finally saw them 'cause until last month I was working at home), but TV shows simplify this way too much.

Well, I certainly get why; that's not the point. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1555 on: June 22, 2021, 01:11:22 PM »
So wait...you guys aren't cops where everyone on the force is fucking hot? Or you don't work in a hospital where everyone that works there is fucking hot? Or you don't work in a law firm where everyone that works there is fucking hot?

And people wonder why I don't watch TV..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: June 22, 2021, 01:18:48 PM »
You're just finding out that most shows have hot people in the lead roles?   Like a 100 pound hot chick can take down this dude who is 300 pound why wearing heels?  That's been like that for a long long time buddy.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: June 22, 2021, 01:30:46 PM »
I work in my basement and I'm fucking hot.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1558 on: June 22, 2021, 01:31:52 PM »

I mean, your basement might be fucking hot..

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1559 on: June 22, 2021, 01:36:00 PM »

Anyone looks hot in chains.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1560 on: June 22, 2021, 02:03:02 PM »
You're both right.  (Live with that mental picture, fellas!)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: June 22, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »
Like that wasn't in my head all ready.

Also, why is there always bourbon and 2 jars in every room no matter where the actors are? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: June 22, 2021, 02:07:41 PM »
It's my dream to have a job where I can have a bottle and two glasses in my lower right drawer.   And I don't even drink bourbon!   :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: June 22, 2021, 02:09:30 PM »
It's my dream too.  Minus the job!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1564 on: June 22, 2021, 03:16:52 PM »
You're just finding out that most shows have hot people in the lead roles?

You know...the funny thing is that it wasn't always that way.  Watch shows from the '70s and at least the first half of the '80s.  All in the Family, Barney Miller, Cheers, Taxi.  Sometime in the late '80s or early '90s, it became virtually impossible for ugly/normal people to score lead roles in TV shows.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: June 22, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »
It's my dream to have a job where I can have a bottle and two glasses in my lower right drawer.   And I don't even drink bourbon!   :)

:biggrin:

I assume anyone who has a desk could do this.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: June 22, 2021, 04:20:56 PM »

You know...the funny thing is that it wasn't always that way.  Watch shows from the '70s and at least the first half of the '80s.  All in the Family, Barney Miller, Cheers, Taxi.  Sometime in the late '80s or early '90s, it became virtually impossible for ugly/normal people to score lead roles in TV shows.

Absolutely.   In the 80's things slowly started to change. Instead on Fred Dryer as a cop we got Heather Locklear. lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1567 on: June 22, 2021, 05:53:00 PM »

You know...the funny thing is that it wasn't always that way.  Watch shows from the '70s and at least the first half of the '80s.  All in the Family, Barney Miller, Cheers, Taxi. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1568 on: June 22, 2021, 11:08:31 PM »

Absolutely.   In the 80's things slowly started to change. Instead on Fred Dryer as a cop we got Heather Locklear. lol

Well, along with Fred Dryer we got Stepfanie Kramer.

Timely... was listening to sports radio the other day and they were talking about NFL'ers who had post-football success in TV/film. They seemed to mention everyone I could think of (and some I didn't) but after a couple minutes after not hearing his name, I was shouting FRED DRYER! HUNTER DAMMIT!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: June 23, 2021, 07:12:49 AM »

No disrespect, but I think it was the same, just the standard was different.   

Mike and Gloria WERE "young and good looking".   I didn't watch much Barney Miller, but Cheers: Sam was a player; Diane was supposed to be attractive.  Taxi:  Jeff Conaway and Marilou Henner were supposed to be attractive; even Judd Hirsch was made out to be above the station he was in. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1570 on: June 23, 2021, 07:15:36 AM »

Well, along with Fred Dryer we got Stepfanie Kramer.

Timely... was listening to sports radio the other day and they were talking about NFL'ers who had post-football success in TV/film. They seemed to mention everyone I could think of (and some I didn't) but after a couple minutes after not hearing his name, I was shouting FRED DRYER! HUNTER DAMMIT!

Big fan of both, for varying reasons.  :)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1571 on: June 23, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
I just started The Leftovers yesterday.

First episode looks interesting. I know the show probably came before, but the premise basically is "What if Thanos' snap had happened in real life"  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1572 on: June 23, 2021, 09:48:09 AM »

Mike and Gloria WERE "young and good looking".

I don't know...maybe...?

but Cheers: Sam was a player; Diane was supposed to be attractive.

Sure, but right alongside of them, you had Coach, Cliff, Norm and Carla.

Taxi:  Jeff Conaway and Marilou Henner were supposed to be attractive; even Judd Hirsch was made out to be above the station he was in.

Not sure what your comment about Judd Hirsch means, but right alongside those folks (as well as Tony Danza), you had Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and the comedian guy who died whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Barney Miller had Hal Linden, Jack Soo, Steve Landesberg and Abe Vigoda.  These are people who, if put in a time machine from 1975 to 2021, are NOT getting lead roles in a network sitcom.

The closest thing to those folks that you get over the last couple decades is Richard Belzer on L&O:SUV, and he he stands out like a sore thumb (or at least he did at the start of the show before Mariska Hargitay started showing her age).  Or maybe Mayim Bialik on Big Bang Theory.  Heck, BBT is the poster child for this sort of thing.  Instead of getting people who actually look like nerds, they hire actors from People's 50 hottest men alive and made them up and dressed them to look like nerds.  It's sort of like the "pretty, ugly girl" from every late '90s/early '00s teen movie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: June 23, 2021, 11:18:25 AM »

Mike and Gloria WERE "young and good looking".

I don't know...maybe...?

but Cheers: Sam was a player; Diane was supposed to be attractive.

Sure, but right alongside of them, you had Coach, Cliff, Norm and Carla.

Taxi:  Jeff Conaway and Marilou Henner were supposed to be attractive; even Judd Hirsch was made out to be above the station he was in.

Not sure what your comment about Judd Hirsch means, but right alongside those folks (as well as Tony Danza), you had Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and the comedian guy who died whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Barney Miller had Hal Linden, Jack Soo, Steve Landesberg and Abe Vigoda.  These are people who, if put in a time machine from 1975 to 2021, are NOT getting lead roles in a network sitcom.

The closest thing to those folks that you get over the last couple decades is Richard Belzer on L&O:SUV, and he he stands out like a sore thumb (or at least he did at the start of the show before Mariska Hargitay started showing her age).  Or maybe Mayim Bialik on Big Bang Theory.  Heck, BBT is the poster child for this sort of thing.  Instead of getting people who actually look like nerds, they hire actors from People's 50 hottest men alive and made them up and dressed them to look like nerds.  It's sort of like the "pretty, ugly girl" from every late '90s/early '00s teen movie.

Andy Kaufman.

BBT:  I don't know; I don't consider Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki or Simon what's-his-face to be "hot".  Now, all the women?  Penny and Bernadette are both smokin', as are Raj's sister (Priya) and Sheldon's sister (Missy).   

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1574 on: June 23, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »
I just started The Leftovers yesterday.

First episode looks interesting. I know the show probably came before, but the premise basically is "What if Thanos' snap had happened in real life"  :D

I wish I could see that show again for the first time. I watched the show earlier this year. Hope you enjoy. Be careful of spoilers.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .