Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 436255 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7840 on: March 24, 2021, 07:54:13 PM »
I want nothing more than to ditch my mask, goggles, and gloves when I go to Costco; for Mrs.jingle to go out to run some casual errands and just mull around stores and shops for shits and giggles; to go to my favourite restaurants; for my kids to get on campus in the fall for their programsn to have friends over and sit around the pool drinking beers and BBQ’g.

At the same time, I didn’t shelter and live under these restrictions for the last 12 months just to get premature with my euphoria for all those things, and risk catching it. Data may be trending down in some areas (not where I live), but cases/hospitalization/deaths are still (as an absolute number) higher than they were in the summer (speaking for the US).  Even higher in other countries.

Again, there’s still a few more months before I think the “all clear” bells should be ringing - more so up here than for you guys in the US. So forgive my lack of jubilation just yet. Yes, we’re in the red zone, but I refuse to be Leon Lett. I’ll get the 6 points, then celebrate.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7841 on: March 24, 2021, 07:59:06 PM »
  Im recently divorced and with another hot girl,

As if there was any doubt. :lol

My bro TAC.... ive never been vaccinated, I dont do seasonal flu shots etc, I believe in my body and how when left alone the body will be strong to fight,, 

OK, that's cool. I can respect anyone who after thought decides not to be vaccinated. It's a personal decision. As long as someone doesn't say the government is trying to track them with a vaccine...that's just nuts.

I didn't start getting the flu shot until I had kids. It was really about protecting them. I certainly wasn't afraid of getting the flu, but I was deathly worried about them getting it.

I'm diabetic, and my wife has an autoimmune disease, so getting the vaccine was really a no brainer for us.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7842 on: March 24, 2021, 08:04:52 PM »
I want nothing more than to ditch my mask, goggles, and gloves when I go to Costco; for Mrs.jingle to go out to run some casual errands and just mull around stores and shops for shits and giggles; to go to my favourite restaurants; for my kids to get on campus in the fall for their programsn to have friends over and sit around the pool drinking beers and BBQ’g.

At the same time, I didn’t shelter and live under these restrictions for the last 12 months just to get premature with my euphoria for all those things, and risk catching it. Data may be trending down in some areas (not where I live), but cases/hospitalization/deaths are still (as an absolute number) higher than they were in the summer (speaking for the US).  Even higher in other countries.

Again, there’s still a few more months before I think the “all clear” bells should be ringing - more so up here than for you guys in the US. So forgive my lack of jubilation just yet. Yes, we’re in the red zone, but I refuse to be Leon Lett. I’ll get the 6 points, then celebrate.

GOGGLES?? Seriously?

Chad, you mention "risk catching it". Now I'm not calling you out or anything...well except for the goggles..but we're just a couple of dudes talking...
You seem really afraid of this, which I can respect. You also can work from home. What if you worked a job where that was not possible? Would you have given your notice? Would you have reported to work?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7843 on: March 24, 2021, 08:25:18 PM »
  Im recently divorced and with another hot girl,

As if there was any doubt. :lol

My bro TAC.... ive never been vaccinated, I dont do seasonal flu shots etc, I believe in my body and how when left alone the body will be strong to fight,, 

OK, that's cool. I can respect anyone who after thought decides not to be vaccinated. It's a personal decision. As long as someone doesn't say the government is trying to track them with a vaccine...that's just nuts.

I didn't start getting the flu shot until I had kids. It was really about protecting them. I certainly wasn't afraid of getting the flu, but I was deathly worried about them getting it.

I'm diabetic, and my wife has an autoimmune disease, so getting the vaccine was really a no brainer for us.

Luv Ya bro,,,  Id do the same if I had kids, I can afford to take a slight risk,    Id get the vaccination if im forced to , I hope society doesnt force me to,
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online faizoff

« Reply #7844 on: March 24, 2021, 08:42:02 PM »
Got my second shot this morning. Didn't get that tasty buzz I got from the first one.

What shots did you get? I didn't feel anything after the 1st Pfizer shot, just mild arm soreness that barely lasted a day. 2nd shot is still 18 days away.
Pfizer. Truth is, I think it's a crapshoot across the board as to how people react to the vaccines (any of them). Nothing at all, severe reaction, mild flu-like symptoms, or a cool buzz. In my case I think it created an adrenal reaction. I had the same mild buzz that I get after a significant panic situation.

For sure everyone's response is varied, I'm always curious to hear everyone's reactions. My bro-in-law had it really bad with both doses, I believe they were Moderna shots. He didn't need hospital treatment, he just got sick as a dog with fever, weakness, aches all over, couldn't move for a couple of days. Happened with each shot. There was speculation that he may have already had Covid at some time since he had tested right before getting the shot and was negative.

My wife had pretty much the same reaction as me, pretty much zilch.

Will have to wait and see the 2nd shot and how that goes.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7845 on: March 24, 2021, 08:54:27 PM »
I’m not talking the airtight, strap around the head goggles. Just basically the same kind I’d use with a power tool - sunglasses but without the shades. You have the luxury of already wearing glasses!  It’s only been since these new variants came about, which spread more easily.  There are suggestions that the virus could be getting in more easily through the eyes. I know people who caught it while having NEVER been exposed to anyone without masking. So I’m of the mindset that I’d rather make the mistake of being overly cautious, than the bigger mistake of not being cautious enough. I’d hazard a guess that every one who has gotten seriously ill, or had a loved one die wish they’d taken that approach.

As for the workplace question... hard to say. I’ve never had that kind of career.  If I did, while still being the sole breadwinner, then I suspect I’d be taking just as many precautions as you are.

I don’t think I’m living in fear - I’m taking all reasonable precautions to minimize my risk.  I don’t lose sleep; I don’t have anxieties over going out; I don’t rush my shopping trips because I’m worried about my exposure;I don’t freak out if someone gets within 6 feet of me without a mask. I control what I can control.  Some might think that your level of precaution (washing clothes and showering immediately when you get home) would be living in fear.  I don’t ... I see it as your calculus in deciding what’s the best way to NOT catch this fucking thing.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7846 on: March 24, 2021, 10:36:52 PM »
Hey guys - Long time/no time!  Glad to read so many of you are getting the jab.  That is so great.  This vaccine's efficacy is so stunningly amazing and I believe we are definitely on the track to getting back to normal.  It's been a long time coming.

And that is what my post here today is to ask you about.  Because I've been noticing some very interesting reactions to the notion of "getting back to normal."  I've been noticing resistance and confusion about post-vaccine behaviors that are being dubbed "acceptable" and "not acceptable."  As most of you know, the CDC has said that 2 or more fully vaccinated people can get together and socialize without masks.  Schools are decreasing the 6 foot rule (The WHO has always been 1 meter but Americans are notoriously not great with the metric system) down to 3 feet for social distancing.  On the rare instance that a fully vaccinated person is exposed to someone with COVID, they don't have to quarantine.  I've recently read some research that seems to support all these things - Israel for example - doing a wonderful job of getting out the jabs - is showing the viral load in people 14 days post vax x2 goes down to (IIRC) like 15%.  There are other studies coming out as well - viral load in pre-op people in the Mayo Clinic system down to 20%.  So seemingly a damn fine benefit of being fully vaccinated is that you are FAR less likely to spread it around to others.  Studies from parts of the world with the variants are still showing this level of protection against severe disease and death.  Fantastic!

And yet by and large, people are being asked (at least in the US) not to change many other behaviors.  Post something on social media about not wearing a mask while walking outside after full vaccination and prepare to be blasted by people calling you selfish.

Talk about fully vaccinated parents traveling with their unvaccinated kids and you are committing child abuse.

Talk about finally getting together socializing with a group of fully vaccinated adults in say a restaurant (support local businesses!) and you are horrible for putting your waitress at risk because she's not vaccinated yet.

There seems to be no winning.  And people seem very rigid about applying their own risk aversion recipe to yours, while most don't have any clue as to how this virus is actually impacted post vaccine.  I'm starting to think there is a segment of the population that really don't want to give up on the fear they've been living under for more than a year.  I'm starting to think that this pandemic has impacted people mentally and emotionally more than they are willing to admit (and I can relate to an extent).

I'm not suggesting we throw caution to the wind here.  I'm wearing my mask inside when in public places.  I'm not traveling much (yet).  But it would sure be nice to stop getting dirty looks from people who do not know my vaccine status when I'm taking a walk OUTSIDE without a mask on.

We are never going to get to Covid zero.  Once I realized that and considered that all of us take certain risks every day and think nothing about it, I started to change my thinking about where my comfort level is and how I'm applying it to others.  And I stopped judging.  We already know that shaming people is uneffective.  So why is it continuing?

The mental health fall out from this past year is going to wind up being quite a toll.  And sure, it may not kill half a million people so it's not comparable to a runaway pandemic, but it IS important to consider.  The amount of fear that people have been living under has been significant.  It's not going to go away any time soon.  In fact, it may just get a whole lot worse as we begin to open up and "go back to normal."

I welcome your thoughts.   :heart

It's great to hear your perspective and thoughts about this all. Really informative, and I sure appreciate it.

Mental Issues, are one of the big problems I am now highly concerned for, because the way I see it now...Can people, MENTALLY, handle another lockdown? My personal opinion is no, and this is based on what I am seeing with how people are acting now they got vaccinated. And this is a reaction to the cause of being locked in for so long. It's like watching an Animal in a Zoo being released in the wild, after being saved from extinction or for healthcare reasons, especially if one was raised in the Zoos. Basically the premise to the movie Madagascar and the penguins, and when they get to Antarctica "Well, this sucks."

You have people who enjoyed and feel safer in the comforts of the zoo, and don't want to go back into the wild. And others, whom can't wait to be released and once released make a run for it into the wilderness. Others also take their time to adjust before making the trek deeper into the wild.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7847 on: March 25, 2021, 12:25:08 AM »
I don't agree with Chad on much of anything related to this threat.  But I'm not sure why the pushback on the goggles idea.  As he pointed out, the eyes are a known portal for catching all kinds of nasty things.  Why NOT protect them if there is an easy way to do so?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7848 on: March 25, 2021, 05:56:15 AM »
I don't agree with Chad on much of anything related to this threat.  But I'm not sure why the pushback on the goggles idea.  As he pointed out, the eyes are a known portal for catching all kinds of nasty things.  Why NOT protect them if there is an easy way to do so?

I'm half joshing, but I haven't seen anyone in goggles since the early days of this. It kind of jumped off the page to me when I read his post.

And now that I think of it, I haven't heard much about the eyes being a portal for Covid in a long time. I assumed nothing has changed though.

I’m not talking the airtight, strap around the head goggles. Just basically the same kind I’d use with a power tool - sunglasses but without the shades. You have the luxury of already wearing glasses!  It’s only been since these new variants came about, which spread more easily.  There are suggestions that the virus could be getting in more easily through the eyes. I know people who caught it while having NEVER been exposed to anyone without masking. So I’m of the mindset that I’d rather make the mistake of being overly cautious, than the bigger mistake of not being cautious enough. I’d hazard a guess that every one who has gotten seriously ill, or had a loved one die wish they’d taken that approach.

As for the workplace question... hard to say. I’ve never had that kind of career.  If I did, while still being the sole breadwinner, then I suspect I’d be taking just as many precautions as you are.

I don’t think I’m living in fear - I’m taking all reasonable precautions to minimize my risk.  I don’t lose sleep; I don’t have anxieties over going out; I don’t rush my shopping trips because I’m worried about my exposure;I don’t freak out if someone gets within 6 feet of me without a mask. I control what I can control.  Some might think that your level of precaution (washing clothes and showering immediately when you get home) would be living in fear.  I don’t ... I see it as your calculus in deciding what’s the best way to NOT catch this fucking thing.

Sure. It's all degrees. Playing it safe is never wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7849 on: March 25, 2021, 06:33:46 AM »
One of my rules of life is 'better safe than sorry'.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7850 on: March 25, 2021, 06:40:38 AM »

Yeah, I think we are pretty cautious too, but one may view how I act as reckless, and another may view it as too cautious. You make the best decisions you can.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7851 on: March 25, 2021, 09:02:34 AM »
I don't think I've seen anyone in goggles.  Face shields a few times, like the security guard at work wears one and occasionally I'll see one at the supermarket. I remember reading that you can get covid through the eyes, but I haven't seen anyone really talking about that recently.  I'm guessing it's not terribly likely, but possible (like if you are scratching your eyes or someone is speaking to you closely without a mask). 

Anyway, no issues if people want to take extra precautions.  It is your life so do as you feel necessary.

Here's some more optimism:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-covid-cases-are-climbing-again-but-new-data-from-israel-suggests-vaccination-will-soon-defeat-the-variants-132844520.html

In short, if the last phase of the U.S. pandemic is a race between the variants and the vaccines, the vaccines appear to have the upper hand — just like they did in Israel.

Essentially Israel went through the same thing with the UK variant giving an increase in cases as the vaccines started rolling out but over time the vaccines won the race.  The US is prime to also win the race as of now. 

JSS on twitter today said he's going to be announcing a US tour in 2021 soon.  Between the Buried and Me announced a (rescheduled) US tour starting this summer.  311 and also Sublime with Rome have both hinted of having US tours booked and just waiting to announce.  Jinjer announced a US tour this fall.  My point being, I don't think the music business would be doing this if they didn't expect the US to get back to some normalcy this summer.  On the other end, Disturbed cancelled thier summer tour.  I think the difference is the big concerts may be a bit longer to get started again but the smaller ones might be back sooner.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7852 on: March 25, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
Hey guys - Long time/no time!  Glad to read so many of you are getting the jab.  That is so great.  This vaccine's efficacy is so stunningly amazing and I believe we are definitely on the track to getting back to normal.  It's been a long time coming.

And that is what my post here today is to ask you about.  Because I've been noticing some very interesting reactions to the notion of "getting back to normal."  I've been noticing resistance and confusion about post-vaccine behaviors that are being dubbed "acceptable" and "not acceptable."  As most of you know, the CDC has said that 2 or more fully vaccinated people can get together and socialize without masks.  Schools are decreasing the 6 foot rule (The WHO has always been 1 meter but Americans are notoriously not great with the metric system) down to 3 feet for social distancing.  On the rare instance that a fully vaccinated person is exposed to someone with COVID, they don't have to quarantine.  I've recently read some research that seems to support all these things - Israel for example - doing a wonderful job of getting out the jabs - is showing the viral load in people 14 days post vax x2 goes down to (IIRC) like 15%.  There are other studies coming out as well - viral load in pre-op people in the Mayo Clinic system down to 20%.  So seemingly a damn fine benefit of being fully vaccinated is that you are FAR less likely to spread it around to others.  Studies from parts of the world with the variants are still showing this level of protection against severe disease and death.  Fantastic!

And yet by and large, people are being asked (at least in the US) not to change many other behaviors.  Post something on social media about not wearing a mask while walking outside after full vaccination and prepare to be blasted by people calling you selfish.

Talk about fully vaccinated parents traveling with their unvaccinated kids and you are committing child abuse.

Talk about finally getting together socializing with a group of fully vaccinated adults in say a restaurant (support local businesses!) and you are horrible for putting your waitress at risk because she's not vaccinated yet.

There seems to be no winning.  And people seem very rigid about applying their own risk aversion recipe to yours, while most don't have any clue as to how this virus is actually impacted post vaccine.  I'm starting to think there is a segment of the population that really don't want to give up on the fear they've been living under for more than a year.  I'm starting to think that this pandemic has impacted people mentally and emotionally more than they are willing to admit (and I can relate to an extent).

I'm not suggesting we throw caution to the wind here.  I'm wearing my mask inside when in public places.  I'm not traveling much (yet).  But it would sure be nice to stop getting dirty looks from people who do not know my vaccine status when I'm taking a walk OUTSIDE without a mask on.

We are never going to get to Covid zero.  Once I realized that and considered that all of us take certain risks every day and think nothing about it, I started to change my thinking about where my comfort level is and how I'm applying it to others.  And I stopped judging.  We already know that shaming people is uneffective.  So why is it continuing?

The mental health fall out from this past year is going to wind up being quite a toll.  And sure, it may not kill half a million people so it's not comparable to a runaway pandemic, but it IS important to consider.  The amount of fear that people have been living under has been significant.  It's not going to go away any time soon.  In fact, it may just get a whole lot worse as we begin to open up and "go back to normal."

I welcome your thoughts.   :heart

Good to see you.  Hope you are well.   

If it matters to you, I am in almost full agreement.  Especially in the bolded (not referring even obliquely to anyone here).

With one exception:  I think that it MAY kill half a million people.  I've been on a kick for the last couple years now where I am very convinced - pending research, which I advocate for vociferously - that we've been nickel and diming our health for the past decade (at a minimum).  What I mean by that is, we've been doing the typical "human" thing of concentrating on the one cockroach we can see, and ignoring the 1,000 cockroaches that are hidden behind the cabinet, under the floor, and in the walls.   We have heated, sometimes violent discussions on the killing of 200 people per year, because of their skin (referencing the deaths of African Americans at the hands of police), and ignore - relatively - the almost 100,000 deaths per year from alcohol (that's 250 PER DAY).  The roughly 45,000 deaths per year from suicide (and that doesn't even mention the almost 300,000 ER visits per year from self-harm).   Add to that all the people that don't actually die directly, but aren't productive, aren't healthy, or overeat or over medicate as a result of their untreated mental/emotional situations (over 42% of Americans are obese.   42%!!! That's over 135 MILLION people.)

I'm not putting words in your mouth that you agree with me here, so please don't take it that way, but that you even mentioned the emotional and mental toll on an already fragile nation is, I think, insightful.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7853 on: March 25, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »

So this is why you make me wear 2 condoms!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7854 on: March 25, 2021, 09:25:09 AM »

He told me you needed the second one to keep them from falling off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7855 on: March 25, 2021, 09:28:46 AM »

Of course, though, the rubber meets the road when we start talking about what OTHERS should do.  I would never make fun of you for wearing goggles (I say that without seeing you.  If there was a photo, I might, no guarantees!).   I would never make fun of TAC's wife for not kissing him without a shower (I've never smelled the man).   But here's the thing:  I don't make make fun of the Spring Breakers, or that person that seemingly cannot figure out how to wear a mask and has it around their mouth with their nose out.  Or no mask.  It's not my place.   I might quietly assess them as idiots, or uninformed, or taking an untoward risk, but so are those morons that climb Russian radio towers, or ski out of a helicopter.  You do you.

The problem isn't what each of us do to fight our own COVID wars, the problem is what we expect/demand from others.   And no, the "well, it affects me and my family!" doesn't fly, doesn't change the equation, because hundreds of things affect me and my family, and I have only one recourse:  accept it and move on as best I can.  That's what living in a society means.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7856 on: March 25, 2021, 09:36:17 AM »

He told me you needed the second one to keep them from falling off.

I am Irish. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7857 on: March 25, 2021, 09:57:31 AM »
For what it's worth, I got my second shot at 0915 yesterday morning. Felt fine all night. Arm wasn't even sore. Today I am feeling a little achy. Nothing major, and I can't even be certain it's not just a function of the rain last night, but I can definitely tell that something's going on. I've definitely got something going on.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #7858 on: March 25, 2021, 10:13:34 AM »
For what it's worth, I got my second shot at 0915 yesterday morning. Felt fine all night. Arm wasn't even sore. Today I am feeling a little achy. Nothing major, and I can't even be certain it's not just a function of the rain last night, but I can definitely tell that something's going on. I've definitely got something going on.

That seems to be the pattern. Fine after the second shot and then around 4:00am it all started. I started feeling better around 2:00pm.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7859 on: March 25, 2021, 10:20:56 AM »

Well it certainly explains the goggles.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7860 on: March 25, 2021, 12:21:06 PM »
Can't say I know a single person nor have I heard of a single person "wanting to hold on to the fear they've been living with for the last year" that sounds like it was lifted off the script for one of Sean Hannity's or Tucker Carlson's fact-free rants.

I'm scared to death of this shit because I've got underlying health issues that could lead to severe illness for me if I get infected.  I still go to the gym 6 days a week and out to a sit-down breakfast at an indoor restaurant every Sunday morning with my 75-year-old brother in law.  I also go to work each day, at an office, where we all have to wear masks unless we're in our offices. 

Cases are trending downward in most places but we're in a race against some pretty gnarly mutations that are more readily spread from person to person and there is some anecdotal evidence emerging that the mutations are causing worse illness in many cases, so I'd say it's very much TBD on where this all goes in the immediate future, but we do have two things going for us and that is a very robust vaccination program that's doing quite well and we're heading into the warmer part of the year here in the northern hemisphere so just by virtue of those two circumstances, even if there is 3rd wave, I think it has the potential to be blunted substantially by the rapid spread of vaccinated people and less indoor activity as the weather warms up.

Someone mentioned they're getting dirty looks from people when they're outside with no mask on?  That's fucking crazy.  I haven't seen any of that around here.  And I do not wear a mask if I'm outside.  The minute I exit any building the mask comes off.  I fucking hate wearing it.  But I also kind of like not being dead, so when I'm inside a building other than my house or my office I wear the mask. I follow the rules, if not to protect myself but to protect others. 

The people who are gathering in huge crowds like we saw down in Miami beach, indoors or outdoors you're taking a big risk, but not only that, you could very well be putting other people at risk too.  But I remember what it was like to be a 25-year-old know-it-all and completely invincible.  Had this happened when I was 25 I would absolutely have been down with a mask-free spring break party indoors or outdoors because there would be no way I would ever catch this and get sick or die.  That kind of shit happens to OTHER people. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7861 on: March 25, 2021, 12:57:10 PM »
...out to a sit-down breakfast at an indoor restaurant every Sunday morning with my 75-year-old brother in law.

Not to get off topic, but one of my top five pleasures in the world is a good Sunday breakfast.  After my divorce I used to do that every Sunday; get the paper, and go sit for an hour or so and read it, over some eggs, toast and corned beef hash.  Coffee, of course. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7862 on: March 25, 2021, 01:15:57 PM »
This coming weekend I get to spend a full, masks off weekend with my fully vaxxed parents. I owe my mom a years worth of hugs, and she's getting them all.  :heart

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7863 on: March 25, 2021, 01:17:01 PM »
...out to a sit-down breakfast at an indoor restaurant every Sunday morning with my 75-year-old brother in law.

Not to get off topic, but one of my top five pleasures in the world is a good Sunday breakfast.  After my divorce I used to do that every Sunday; get the paper, and go sit for an hour or so and read it, over some eggs, toast and corned beef hash.  Coffee, of course.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to when this all blows over is the Mohegan Sun breakfast buffet after a night of debauchery. There's that and a hole in the wall place called Uncle Bob's Ham and Eggers that's a primo breakfast joint. I haven't been there in over a year now :(

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7864 on: March 25, 2021, 01:22:25 PM »
This coming weekend I get to spend a full, masks off weekend with my fully vaxxed parents. I owe my mom a years worth of hugs, and she's getting them all.  :heart

These aren't tears. It's dusty in here.  Shut up.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #7865 on: March 25, 2021, 01:40:30 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome and good wishes everyone.  I wish I could respond to each and every post because every single one offered something worth a response and I have read and thought about all of your points.  I have nothing to quibble with.  But I may do some clarifying.

Importantly, I'm not directing my comments to anyone here.  Part of my reason for delving back here is that I always thought of you all here as a hearty bunch.  Many of you have helped me with my own anxieties during the pandemic - I have reread much of the early days of this thread which was FUN and WEIRD all at the same time (I recommend it if you have the time.) So please don't take anything that I posted as directed toward a post or board member here.  It wasn't.  I came looking for straight talk and I think I got that.  So thanks.

And perhaps not many of you have been seeing what I'm describing.  This actually gives me hope.  And point taken about not engaging on social media where all bets are off.  I think EB is correct that the polarization of this country (I can't speak to other countries) is showing up in these topics as well.  Honestly, I'm trying to come to terms with some of my own behavior earlier on in the pandemic.  As much as I hated wearing the mask on a personal level, I was totally judging people who didn't.  As much as I hated isolating from my family, I was totally judging those who made different decisions.  I still grapple with the notion that some people cannot put the "greater good" aspect of the equation into their noggins.  I watched my husband and his colleagues work their tails off for the past year and every single person who thumbed their noses at public health recommendations felt like a slap in the face.  I felt healthcare workers - much like front line workers - were disrespected and discounted and ultimately ignored.  That hurt like hell.  It remains a work in progress but I took that very personally....the crap people said about the virus being a hoax and how doctors were inflating Covid death numbers for political reasons just did not jibe with my reality.

So now here I am, feeling hopeful with the full mantle of protection over my family, wanting to help others cross over to the hopeful part and being shot down for stating facts about life post vaccine.  Some people just don't seem to want to hear that it's ok to relax after the vax.  "You can still spread the virus!"  "You can't be 100% sure!"  Well, theoretically that is true.  But the goal isn't Covid zero (I mean, yeah that'd be great and all but reality comes into play).  The goal is not to die or wind up in the hospital or to become a long-hauler.  And if we are looking at the risks vs. benefits, where do the benefits of hugging your parents come in?  Where do the benefits of blowing off steam with friends come in?  Where do the benefits of climbing out of the constant anxiety and stress come in?  Because I'm personally seeing the benefits of those things FAR outweighing the extremely low likelihood of me spreading Covid to others.  And TBH, that was (outside of my kids getting sick in the early days) always my biggest fear....getting someone else sick because of being in contact with me.

A couple of weeks ago, I went in for my annual physical.  When my doctor came in along with the PA, all three of us in that room were 14 days past vax #2.  My doctor looks at me and asks if I am comfortable doing the exam without masks on (probably not kosher from the clinic policy standpoint, I might add).  And of course I was.  It was like a gift.  The PA shared a story with me about going for a hike out in a valley where she could see for miles in all directions and there was literally nobody else out there except a couple of other hikers coming up to pass her on the trail.  They were wearing masks and she - being fully vaccinated - was not.  As they passed her one of them said sarcastically, "Hey, thanks for wearing a mask!"  I mean, this is what I'm talking about.  This need to control what others are doing.  This need to hang onto the fear and constantly push that fear on to others you don't know.

I'll leave you with this.  Those 20 somethings in Florida flooding the beaches for spring break?  Potentially concerning?  Sure.  But what would be much more concerning IMHO would be to drive them inside into hotel rooms and houses to congregate and celebrate.  I haven't done the math - maybe someone here will - but undoubtedly the risk of death for those kids driving to and from those beaches is higher than partying with their pals outside without a mask.  Personally I wouldn't make that choice.  But I can certainly understand it.  And I can stop being judgmental about it.

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7866 on: March 25, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »
It's strange. Some of the examples I'm reading (the PA out hiking) seem completely alien to me. While I've no doubt it happens, it's just not really something that would happen in Texas. It would certainly be the exception and not the rule. Not because we're all non-mask wearing assholes, but because Texans are surprisingly non-confrontational with people over their life decisions. It's generations of civility, I think. We're all far more likely to keep our distance and grumble about it afterward. At most maybe roll our eyes about it. People slap Trump/W/Biden/Hillary stickers on their cars, and they don't get called out for it. That would be rude. Masks kind of get the same deference.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #7867 on: March 25, 2021, 01:59:03 PM »

I'll leave you with this.  Those 20 somethings in Florida flooding the beaches for spring break?  Potentially concerning?  Sure.  But what would be much more concerning IMHO would be to drive them inside into hotel rooms and houses to congregate and celebrate.  I haven't done the math - maybe someone here will - but undoubtedly the risk of death for those kids driving to and from those beaches is higher than partying with their pals outside without a mask.  Personally I wouldn't make that choice.  But I can certainly understand it.  And I can stop being judgmental about it.

Who is suggesting that?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7868 on: March 25, 2021, 02:00:52 PM »
I've done trails in NJ, PA, and Maine in the fall at various parks.  Most weren't wearing masks (including myself).  Like, I wore at near the visitor centers where people would be congregating, but on a trail while walking?  I don't see the point.  The virus just hasn't shown to be an issue outdoors on the move.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #7869 on: March 25, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »

Who is suggesting that?

People who think/say the local and/or state government should close the beaches?  Hasn't a curfew already been enacted during certain times? 

I don't live in Florida, so I have no first hand knowledge.  I've just seen people suggesting that "somebody should do something" on social media.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7870 on: March 25, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »
I think it’s important to remember that the initial call to lock down was to not overwhelm the hospitals.....not to assure that no one caught Covid. A year into it and the treatments for Covid of those who are hospitalized have come leaps and bounds.....’healthy’ people who are infected are surviving the virus on their own naturally and our population is getting vaccinated and between the immunities from people having it knowingly and unknowingly I think there’s good reason to be optimistic

I think at this point we see the pattern and know that there is going to be a subset of people who aren’t going to abide by any of the recommendations.....there are people like me and my family who will continue to wear masks, my wife and I vaccinated and we social distance but we are living our lives now.....and there are those who will be super safe and stay locked in.

To for one group to criticize the other at this point is literally a waste of energy and time. Positions have been made known and one side isn’t going to turn the other from their ‘belief’ or the way their approaching the virus now.

For me....we’re past the point of overwhelming the hospitals due to vaccinations and natural antibodies/ herd immunity and the advancement in treatments.....coupled with the vulnerable who unfortunately have died already. So, I don’t see the need for lockdowns. Keep a mask mandate, keep hammering hygiene practices and let that be that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7871 on: March 25, 2021, 02:48:51 PM »
Had this happened when I was 25 I would absolutely have been down with a mask-free spring break party indoors or outdoors because there would be no way I would ever catch this and get sick or die.  That kind of shit happens to OTHER people.

Except when it doesn't.  It's shit like this that is the reason I'm still pumping the brakes hard on any ideas that we're free and clear - at least in Canada.

"Infection rates are now highest from those aged 20-39". -- Canada's Chief Public Health Officer
"We're seeing people much sicker in their 30s and 40s than we saw in the last wave" -- Emergency Dr.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7872 on: March 25, 2021, 02:53:26 PM »

One of the things I'm most looking forward to when this all blows over is the Mohegan Sun breakfast buffet after a night of debauchery. There's that and a hole in the wall place called Uncle Bob's Ham and Eggers that's a primo breakfast joint. I haven't been there in over a year now :(

This reminds me, we need to get that DTF casino trip idea going again when things get settled down.  I miss the morning buffet at Harrah's after a night in AC.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7873 on: March 25, 2021, 02:57:36 PM »

For me....we’re past the point of overwhelming the hospitals due to vaccinations and natural antibodies/ herd immunity and the advancement in treatments.....coupled with the vulnerable who unfortunately have died already. So, I don’t see the need for lockdowns. Keep a mask mandate, keep hammering hygiene practices and let that be that.

Not everywhere.  :-\  ICU's are still shuffling people around here in Ontario.  600 people this year alone had to be moved to other hospital ICUs, sometimes over 100mi away.  Our cases, infections rates, and deaths are climbing again.  And our Vax game is most certainly NOT on point.  Surgery backlog is going to take years (yes, plural) to clear out.

As I said a few pages ago, for as bad as you guys f'd up the outbreak, your vax game has been pretty solid.  Having the manufacturers with facilities in country so you could keep them all (no snark - we'd do the same if we could) sure helps.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7874 on: March 25, 2021, 03:10:42 PM »
I'm lucky that nobody in my family or my friends ( no, neither of them  :yeahright ... ) have gotten sick or died from it.

As I said before and I will re-iterate - easily the worst thing about the last 12 months is

• Every YouTube video you watch having to mention " Obviously we're closed or indoors CAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS COVID 19 PANDEMIC VIRUS "

• Every shop window having a sign saying " CLOSED DUE TO CORONAVIRUS COVID 19 PANDEMIC VIRUS "

It's like  >:( FOR FUCKS SAKE WE KNOW - IT WOULD BE GREAT NOT TO BE REMINDED OF IT EVERY WHERE WE FUCKING LOOK.

Thanks.  :tup :tup