Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 436196 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #7455 on: March 10, 2021, 09:01:44 AM »
Are you staying with the same friends?  Do you have family that can't afford to be infected or are you staying away from them because you are not wearing a mask.  Are you at work going into other establishments for work without a mask or do you wear one when asked to?

Bro, I literally work with my family and see them almost every day. I hang with any and all friends. I go into other establishments during my work days with a mask, but I also interact with a great number of people who do not wear masks in our office and in the shop. I respect the rules, except for the gym because working out with a mask is the big stupid.

Also, if you knew you were infected with the virus would you continue to do the same things or would you quarantine?

That depends. I literally can't afford to not work for a week, let alone two. You gonna pay me? If not, who is? If no one's paying me, I'm going to work until I can't breathe. I live by myself. If I ain't making money, I'm up shit creek.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7456 on: March 10, 2021, 09:02:27 AM »
As I just said, my issue was with the ad hominem calling her a bitch, we don't need to drag this one out, I just said I agree it's selfish, I'm not dumb dude

I see my recent commitment to a life philosophy of compassion is backfiring on me from other people, as expected

All you can do is...Continue to do you.

Here's my thought, If she didn't post it on Facebook, I doubt anyone would've known she had it. At least, she was stupid enough to post it on Facebook that she is positive.

And also, how are we to regulate those people, if you wouldn't have known if she didn't post this.

If I were the manager, I would fire her, not only for what she admitted to being, but mainly, for calling in so many damn times, and didn't bother calling in when you are positive.

Again though, I don't know her situation for the reason of the many call ins, and I don't know her either. Could be she's a single mother and can't afford not to work anymore.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7457 on: March 10, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
Are you staying with the same friends?  Do you have family that can't afford to be infected or are you staying away from them because you are not wearing a mask.  Are you at work going into other establishments for work without a mask or do you wear one when asked to?

Bro, I literally work with my family and see them almost every day. I hang with any and all friends. I go into other establishments during my work days with a mask, but I also interact with a great number of people who do not wear masks in our office and in the shop. I respect the rules, except for the gym because working out with a mask is the big stupid.

Also, if you knew you were infected with the virus would you continue to do the same things or would you quarantine?

That depends. I literally can't afford to not work for a week, let alone two. You gonna pay me? If not, who is? If no one's paying me, I'm going to work until I can't breathe. I live by myself. If I ain't making money, I'm up shit creek.

I understand that but there is liability in those actions.  So you would be taking a risk if you were infected.  As long as you are not do what you want but being infected like this girl is a whole other ball of wax.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7458 on: March 10, 2021, 09:09:20 AM »
I think two things can simultaneously be true:  (1) We can (and SHOULD) have sympathy for her individual situation; AND (2) she should be fired.  Giving her every benefit of the doubt, and assuming she had the best intentions possible and intended no harm, you can't knowingly come to work infected.  That's just a consequence of her actions, regardless of her intentions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7459 on: March 10, 2021, 09:13:27 AM »
The thing is too. She works there and should know the policies in place currently at the workplace. She should know the consequences for not reporting she is positive, especially when returning to work.

Again though, how would you regulate that? Would you submit to a bi-weekly testing by the employers just to make sure no employees are not positive? How would one know another person is positive if not reported or mentioned? How do you know the other Employees weren't positive as well, they just weren't stupid enough to post it for the world to know?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7460 on: March 10, 2021, 09:14:43 AM »
I think two things can simultaneously be true:  (1) We can (and SHOULD) have sympathy for her individual situation; AND (2) she should be fired.  Giving her every benefit of the doubt, and assuming she had the best intentions possible and intended no harm, you can't knowingly come to work infected.  That's just a consequence of her actions, regardless of her intentions.

This is a mentality that I can get behind, even if I personally disagree that she should be fired (GIVEN WHAT I KNOW, it must be stressed). That is definitely a consequence of her actions and the employer has every right to do that if they wish, because it's not my business and my opinion really has no bearing on it in the end.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7461 on: March 10, 2021, 09:17:24 AM »
Posting it on FB was an incredibly stupid thing to do, especially if her reason for still coming in was because she needed money. Now there's a chance she loses access to that job all together. If you're going to lie, commit to it.

I should have noted this earlier, but I was in a rush to get the post out before a meeting this morning. We work for an AMAZING family. They have four locations and employee 440 people give or take. The owner has paid (out of his own pocket) for rehab and addiction programs for dozens of his employees in the 16 years I've known him. We had other employees catch Covid over the last year, and they were paid to quarantine without having to tap into their PTO bank. Maybe this employee wasn't aware of that arrangement, but it's happened multiple times since she's been with us. Time and time again, it's been made very clear that the health of the staff and staying open are the two biggest priorities, and our owner would rather have to flip you $1K for staying home over having the community hear mumblings of a possible outbreak in one of his locations.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7462 on: March 10, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »
That's actually what I was saying Mike with an adjective thrown in.  Like I said, I can be sympathetic to her situation but her posting about it and going into work shows a disregard to other's wellbeing.  I would have suggested to her to reach out to her family for assistance.  Hell even those at work if she stayed out might pool a little bit of money to help her our.  She just needed to do the right thing.

Edit: Just read Brian's post above me.  Wow.  She really made a poor decision.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7463 on: March 10, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »
That's actually what I was saying Mike with an adjective thrown in.  Like I said, I can be sympathetic to her situation but her posting about it and going into work shows a disregard to other's wellbeing.  I would have suggested to her to reach out to her family for assistance.  Hell even those at work if she stayed out might pool a little bit of money to help her our.  She just needed to do the right thing.

Edit: Just read Brian's post above me.  Wow.  She really made a poor decision.

It's not just an adjective, it's ad hominem, I really think you should research what that term means because otherwise you are completely missing the reason behind those posts, seriously. I know what you were saying. My issue was calling her a bitch for it (to which you responded by switching for asshole, which... changed nothing). For the third or fourth time I am not stupid. I can tell when someone is showing disregard for others. Please do not make me keep telling you this, not only is it completely trivial to the larger discussion and a tangent that I'm trying to put to bed, I'm tired of getting the notion that people think I am blissfully unaware of the effect people's behavior has on others, my guy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7464 on: March 10, 2021, 09:24:06 AM »
Actions have consequences.  This lady sounds both stupid (posting it on FB LOL) and selfish (showing up to work with COVID and not telling a soul).  I get that times are tough, but it's hard to feel sorry for someone who did what she did. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7465 on: March 10, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »
Posting it on FB was an incredibly stupid thing to do, especially if her reason for still coming in was because she needed money. Now there's a chance she loses access to that job all together. If you're going to lie, commit to it.

I should have noted this earlier, but I was in a rush to get the post out before a meeting this morning. We work for an AMAZING family. They have four locations and employee 440 people give or take. The owner has paid (out of his own pocket) for rehab and addiction programs for dozens of his employees in the 16 years I've known him. We had other employees catch Covid over the last year, and they were paid to quarantine without having to tap into their PTO bank. Maybe this employee wasn't aware of that arrangement, but it's happened multiple times since she's been with us. Time and time again, it's been made very clear that the health of the staff and staying open are the two biggest priorities, and our owner would rather have to flip you $1K for staying home over having the community hear mumblings of a possible outbreak in one of his locations.

Maybe those times it was made clear, is when she called-out. So she wasn't there to know or understand the possibility of that.

But, who knows why she even posted it on Facebook to begin with. :facepalm:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7466 on: March 10, 2021, 09:31:35 AM »
Just got my second Pfizer. Now the wait is on to see if I get any side effects.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7467 on: March 10, 2021, 09:32:05 AM »
But I'm trying to understand a possible reason for her doing that, okay?

Would you try to understand possible reasons for someone driving drunk?  For someone with AIDS having unprotected sex with someone else without disclosing it?  For a parent to leave their 2-year old child locked in a car in the mall parking lot in July?  Sometimes behaviour is simply reckless and irresponsible (and illegal) - it doesn't matter what the reasons are... especially when putting others at risk.

So tell me, for the sake of conversation, what do you think of me? I haven't worn a mask at work. None of us have. Returned to the gym 6 days a week for a month and a half no mask. Still wear it in stores and elsewhere. Still hang out with friends in close proximity. Am I an asshole? Haven't given the rona to anybody in over a year of going about my life normally despite not getting tested. Do you see what I am getting at with the conversation about being an asshole to people you perceive as assholes? You could make an argument that I'm as bad as her, but it's not that simple, and I guarantee you probably won't call me an asshole. I TRIPLE dog dare ya!! :) :)

I don't think you're an asshole, but I do think you're taking unnecessary risks - for yourself, and for others around you.  As for the gym issue, I had a co-worker contract COVID from working out at a gym... while masked.  You (royal) never know when you're asymptomatic until after the fact.  Thank god you haven't contracted it or infected anyone.  How do you think people feel after they have tested positive, then find out co-workers / friends / fellow gym-goers then test positive a couple days later? And they get sick, or worse?

@ King... I do think you're being a bit harsh in your condemnation, despite condemnation being warranted.

Let me ask you this Mike...if one of your co-workers came to work having knowingly testing positive, and didn't tell anyone, and spent a couple of days shoulder-to-shoulder with you, how would you react?

Also, you say "ad hominem" one more time, Ima gonna start calling you Stads Jr.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7468 on: March 10, 2021, 09:33:23 AM »

But, who knows why she even posted it on Facebook to begin with. :facepalm:

"Because she is stupid" sounds like the most logical and simplest explanation.  It's like a person slamming their boss on Twitter, knowing that 8 of their followers are co-workers, and then being stunned when they are fired days later. "OMG, what happened??" :lol  Stupid people do stupid things.

Edit: Do I think Joe's condemnation is a bit harsh? Maybe. As is mine. But damn it, there is light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully!) with this pandemic, yet we still have people like this lady acting stupid and putting people at risk. It's maddening.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:38:38 AM by KevShmev »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7469 on: March 10, 2021, 09:38:09 AM »
Chad, I'd throw the book at that asshole for infecting me and others.   :lol

When you are blatantly putting another persons health at risk  I should be able to call them out using an adjective Mike.  She's not making a statement like not wearing a mask.  She's making a bad decision based on who knows why.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7470 on: March 10, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »
God damn it, Chad, I wish I could quit you.

Would you try to understand possible reasons for someone driving drunk?  For someone with AIDS having unprotected sex with someone else without disclosing it?  For a parent to leave their 2-year old child locked in a car in the mall parking lot in July?  Sometimes behaviour is simply reckless and irresponsible (and illegal) - it doesn't matter what the reasons are... especially when putting others at risk.

I had a response to this typed out until I realized it doesn't matter, because I already said it's reckless and irresponsible. What else do you want from me? Christ, I'm gonna have to put, "I'm not stupid," in my sig at this rate the way you guys think I'm so naive.

So tell me, for the sake of conversation, what do you think of me? I haven't worn a mask at work. None of us have. Returned to the gym 6 days a week for a month and a half no mask. Still wear it in stores and elsewhere. Still hang out with friends in close proximity. Am I an asshole? Haven't given the rona to anybody in over a year of going about my life normally despite not getting tested. Do you see what I am getting at with the conversation about being an asshole to people you perceive as assholes? You could make an argument that I'm as bad as her, but it's not that simple, and I guarantee you probably won't call me an asshole. I TRIPLE dog dare ya!! :) :)

I don't think you're an asshole, but I do think you're taking unnecessary risks - for yourself, and for others around you.  As for the gym issue, I had a co-worker contract COVID from working out at a gym... while masked.  You (royal) never know when you're asymptomatic until after the fact.  Thank god you haven't contracted it or infected anyone.  How do you think people feel after they have tested positive, then find out co-workers / friends / fellow gym-goers then test positive a couple days later? And they get sick, or worse?

Guess what, dude, I kind of want to get on with my fucking life and I live in a rural area. I count my blessings every day for that. If there's 3 people in my gym when I show up I consider that a crowd.

Let me ask you this Mike...if one of your co-workers came to work having knowingly testing positive, and didn't tell anyone, and spent a couple of days shoulder-to-shoulder with you, how would you react?

You want me to answer that without knowing if I'm showing symptoms or not? Can't fall into that trap, pal, sorry. I can't tell you how I'm going to react in a future scenario especially without even knowing whether or not I have the virus. Not a fair question.

Also, you say "ad hominem" one more time, Ima gonna start calling you Stads Jr.  :lol

Well, until king learns what it means, I'm gonna have to keep saying it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7471 on: March 10, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »
Her behavior is completely irresponsible. She's basically hot-boxing the kitchen, a tight enclosed hot space, with Covid, everyone in that space is potentially fucked. I hope they're all young and healthy. I consider this behavior akin to having unprotected sex knowing they have an std that is possibly fatal.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7472 on: March 10, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
Her behavior is completely irresponsible. She's basically hot-boxing the kitchen, a tight enclosed hot space, with Covid, everyone in that space is potentially fucked. I hope they're all young and healthy. I consider this behavior akin to having unprotected sex knowing they have an std that is possibly fatal.

I addressed this in my original reply to Chad before I deleted it but no it is not the same thing. Having sex doesn't happen without the very immediate participation and involvement of another human, direct physical contact. If those two people don't make the sexy time, nobody has any risk of an STD. You aren't gonna randomly catch gonorrhea by standing near Nancy the Tavern Wench. Her simply being near people is NOT the same thing. Also, in the AIDS instance, that involves deception because you are directly, literally fucking someone without telling them you have AIDS.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7473 on: March 10, 2021, 09:44:03 AM »
And she is very much potentially infecting then with Covid, without telling them. Same thing dude.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7474 on: March 10, 2021, 09:45:00 AM »
And she is very much potentially infecting then with Covid, without telling them. Same thing dude.

Potentially. You don't KNOW for sure, and being in proximity is not the same thing as sticking your dick in someone. It's just not. Sorry I disagree on this, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7475 on: March 10, 2021, 09:47:20 AM »
 :lol

Love you too Mike.  So you are telling me she making a stand by going to work infected?  I know what Ad Hominem means.  You are using it incorrectly.  You are using your beliefs for her actions.  I don't think she is making a stand, she just made a bad decision.  You not wearing a mask is a statement.  BTW, I'm ok with. Your life, your call.  Unless you get infected then you have to adapt.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7476 on: March 10, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »

Potentially. You don't KNOW for sure, and being in proximity is not the same thing as sticking your dick in someone. It's just not. Sorry I disagree on this, we'll have to agree to disagree.

:facepalm:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7477 on: March 10, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »
:lol

Love you too Mike.  So you are telling me she making a stand by going to work infected?  I know what Ad Hominem means.  You are using it incorrectly.  You are using your beliefs for her actions.  I don't think she is making a stand, she just made a bad decision.  You not wearing a mask is a statement.  BTW, I'm ok with. Your life, your call.  Unless you get infected then you have to adapt.

... what? How am I using ad hominem incorrectly (I'm not)? Ad hominem is calling someone an asshole or a bitch. WTF? I am not using 'my beliefs' for her actions. I didn't say she was making a stand, either. Boy, you are completely missing my point. I'm kind of stunned. So once again... let me just agree to disagree.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7478 on: March 10, 2021, 09:51:29 AM »

:facepalm:

I've replied respectfully to you. Thanks for reciprocating.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7479 on: March 10, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »
God damn it, Chad, I wish I could quit you.

:-*

I guess I'm having trouble reconciling these two statements:

I had a response to this typed out until I realized it doesn't matter, because I already said it's reckless and irresponsible. What else do you want from me?

I'm just wondering why her reasons matter?  The point everyone else seems to be making is that it was irresponsible and selfish - to me, the reasons don't matter; to you, they seem to.  That doesn't compute to me, but that might just be me.  If we agree that her behaviour was reckless and irresponsible, then :tup.  As for what I want, I don't have any specific wants from anyone.  We're just shooting the shit here like pals.

Actually it is.  If your argument is that a COVID positive person MIGHT NOT spread the virus, than that argument would also apply to unprotected (but consensual) sex.  They are not guaranteed to catch an STD thru unprotected sex.  COVID virus transmits thru respiratory droplets; HIV transmits thru semen.  Same principle.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7480 on: March 10, 2021, 10:04:58 AM »
Respectfully, I'm done. I'm tired of apparently giving the impression that I'm stupid or that I am being flippant towards COVID, again. It was a mistake to post in this thread again and for all this I apologize. Enjoy the day y'all. No hard feelings... just feel like I've said all I have to say and lack the will to keep dragging this on.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7481 on: March 10, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »
HIV also can be transmitted through a Blood Transfusion. If someone has HIV and it's transmissible and gets a cut and drops blood everywhere, if anyone else has an open wound, it's possible they can become infected. You can even get it from eating food chewed by someone that has HIV.

Respectfully, I'm done. I'm tired of apparently giving the impression that I'm stupid or that I am being flippant towards COVID, again. It was a mistake to post in this thread again and for all this I apologize. Enjoy the day y'all. No hard feelings... just feel like I've said all I have to say and lack the will to keep dragging this on.

:heart

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7482 on: March 10, 2021, 10:51:57 AM »
HIV also can be transmitted through a Blood Transfusion. If someone has HIV and it's transmissible and gets a cut and drops blood everywhere, if anyone else has an open wound, it's possible they can become infected. You can even get it from eating food chewed by someone that has HIV.

Seems you completely missed my point - it was not about HIV.  It was about needlessly endangering others because of ones own actions.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7483 on: March 10, 2021, 10:54:19 AM »

Seems you completely missed my point - it was not about HIV.  It was about needlessly endangering others because of ones own actions.

Exactly.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7484 on: March 10, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »
The girl is an idiot, can't believe the conversation didn't end there.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7485 on: March 10, 2021, 11:23:24 AM »

I'm sorry it's so difficult for you to imagine someone wanting to be a little more nuanced and offer other possibilities for the sake of said conversation. You are so much smarter and better, congratulations Marc.

These reactions are why I hesitate to offer other viewpoints that might lead to constructive discussions about how people behave and think. I get lol's and facepalms from people who I thought were my friends and would show more respect than that.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7486 on: March 10, 2021, 11:24:42 AM »
Particulars aside, I would bet the farm people going to work knowing they have covid is happening a lot.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7487 on: March 10, 2021, 11:29:43 AM »

I'm sorry it's so difficult for you to imagine someone wanting to be a little more nuanced and offer other possibilities for the sake of said conversation. You are so much smarter and better, congratulations Marc.

These reactions are why I hesitate to offer other viewpoints that might lead to constructive discussions about how people behave and think. I get lol's and facepalms from people who I thought were my friends and would show more respect than that.

You are arguing for arguments sake IMO.  Your nuanced arguments make little sense to me other than to get reactions from others which you clearly did.  I'll stay out of it anymore than this because it's not an interesting conversation to me other than agreeing with Chino for being annoyed with the dumb girl and also that it's another reason to hate facebook.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7488 on: March 10, 2021, 11:31:31 AM »

You are arguing for arguments sake IMO.  Your nuanced arguments make little sense to me other than to get reactions from others which you clearly did.  I'll stay out of it anymore than this because it's not an interesting conversation to me other than agreeing with Chino for being annoyed with the dumb girl and also that it's another reason to hate facebook.

You don't understand, therefore I'm arguing for the sake of arguing. Yeah, that's logical. You are not showing a willingness to understand in the first place. Stay out of it indeed if that's all you want to do.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7489 on: March 10, 2021, 11:33:03 AM »
Guys, guys....stop bringing down the covid thread. This is supposed to be a happy and celebratory place.
fanticide.bandcamp.com