Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 436219 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #6335 on: December 10, 2020, 04:16:57 PM »
I've been saying I will keep wearing a mask if I get a cold out of courtesy, but honestly, as long as I'm still stuck wearing glasses, I'll be free-sneezing my way through life. It's just comically uncomfortable. I can't wait to take it off.

Fellow glass wearer here. Literally every breath I take outside is an attempt to my sight. Geez.
I've tried all the hacks and they just don't fucking work. I got LOST outside a few days ago until it occurred to me to just take the thing off, the streets were empty and I had plenty of backups in my purse for the next bus stop.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6336 on: December 10, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »
I've been saying I will keep wearing a mask if I get a cold out of courtesy, but honestly, as long as I'm still stuck wearing glasses, I'll be free-sneezing my way through life. It's just comically uncomfortable. I can't wait to take it off.

Fellow glass wearer here. Literally every breath I take outside is an attempt to my sight. Geez.
I've tried all the hacks and they just don't fucking work. I got LOST outside a few days ago until it occurred to me to just take the thing off, the streets were empty and I had plenty of backups in my purse for the next bus stop.

My glasses have found a very comfortable spot on the top of my head.  It's ridiculous.   I have contacts, but I don't wear them much even with this.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6337 on: December 10, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »
I read a study that says contact wearers got infected more often than glasses wearers, so I haven't switched back to contacts for that reason, but I was really considering it. I know that with contacts I touch my eyes way more, and I guess glasses might protect you from some droplets as well.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6338 on: December 10, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »

As one who spends half his working day in a walk in refrigerator, I feel your pain my peeps.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #6339 on: December 10, 2020, 06:15:16 PM »
I know it's "just a meme" and I don't know if it's 100% accurate, but it sounds about right.

And for two of these, the USA joined or started a war as a result.

Yea but that hurricane had it coming.
I lol'ed

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6340 on: December 10, 2020, 08:36:35 PM »
I work for Northwestern Medicine in Northern Illinois and we got an email today telling us to start signing up for the vaccine and that they expect to start vaccinating next week. We have to answer a few questions and then they slot us in the queue in terms of priority. Several of my coworkers have already done so. I meant to and forgot. Probably will soon.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it's free to us.

EDIT2: Just signed up. I have asthma and I'm a little on the large side so I am an increased risk case.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 08:51:21 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6341 on: December 10, 2020, 08:47:15 PM »
I read a study that says contact wearers got infected more often than glasses wearers, so I haven't switched back to contacts for that reason, but I was really considering it. I know that with contacts I touch my eyes way more, and I guess glasses might protect you from some droplets as well.

My eyes are in-between now.  No contacts I can't see far enough to really function; both contacts and I can't read or use the phone.   So I've been doing this "one contact lens" thing, but with not going out I'm kind of "fuck it". I didn't know that about infection rates, so I think I'll save the lens for when concerts return.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6342 on: December 10, 2020, 09:19:00 PM »
I work for Northwestern Medicine in Northern Illinois and we got an email today telling us to start signing up for the vaccine and that they expect to start vaccinating next week. We have to answer a few questions and then they slot us in the queue in terms of priority. Several of my coworkers have already done so. I meant to and forgot. Probably will soon.

EDIT2: Just signed up. I have asthma and I'm a little on the large side so I am an increased risk case.

No need to brag now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6343 on: December 10, 2020, 10:42:54 PM »

No need to brag now.

I immediately went there when I typed that. I know if I said that in the presence of my buddies they would have fallen over laughing themselves silly and not in a good way. I needed a laugh.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6344 on: December 11, 2020, 06:17:47 AM »

No need to brag now.

I immediately went there when I typed that. I know if I said that in the presence of my buddies they would have fallen over laughing themselves silly and not in a good way. I needed a laugh.

You *are* in the presence of your buddies here at DTF!   ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6345 on: December 13, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »
I'm tired of anti vaxxers. Sure, don't get vaccinated. Stand next to me without a mask on, too. If I get infected I'll be protected from the symptoms, while you won't. Have fun doing all of that.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6346 on: December 13, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »
I'm tired of anti vaxxers. Sure, don't get vaccinated. Stand next to me without a mask on, too. If I get infected I'll be protected from the symptoms, while you won't. Have fun doing all of that.

That's the point. You can take it. I won't. That's the freedom of choice.

"Why are you so concerned about what I put into my body." That's the argument and point some of these antivaxxers are making as well.

They know and understand the risks.

Also, there are many other reasons besides the side effects, that people are not going to take this vaccine. Others won't because they feel not enough trials and tests have been done, and see it as we haven't even really seen the effects as it hasn't been long enough yet.

Others that don't want to take it can't because of health reasons. Same as other medicines they can't take due to their health.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6347 on: December 13, 2020, 11:54:59 AM »
Vaccines have been around for decades however. Time and again they proved they helped to defeat diseases. I grew up as a little kid caressing with curiosity the little scar that my mother had on her arm because of a vaccination against.... well, something I don't remember at the moment, but her and everyone else of her generation have that vaccination scar.

When did we suddenly decide that vaccines are harmful? probably since a random moron came out with a stupid study on how "vaccines cause autism" (spoiler, they don't) and it ignited a mass hysteria about vaccines. Once there was the saying of (not) "shouting fire in a crowded theater", now we should warn about not spewing inane bullshit on the web, there is always someone idiot enough to believe it (I'm looking at you, Qanon).

Now, of course we should differentiate between the two kind of no vaxxers...

1) The extremist ones, the "vaccines cause autism" ones, the "Bill Gates inject us microchips for population control" ones; these are people with serious psychological issues and they should receive professional help, and until they get it, they should not be allowed to vote or to have children;

2) The "rational" ones, people who understand the importance of vaccines but have doubts about the rush for this particular one - I would be curious to know how much they knew vaccines beforehand, and how many hours (or minutes?) they spend educating themselves about it to TRULY understand the issue. You can't get educated about vaccines, if it was not your field, just by reading a random internet article. There's a lot more of work that has to go into it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6348 on: December 13, 2020, 12:12:09 PM »
Vaccines have been around for decades however. Time and again they proved they helped to defeat diseases. I grew up as a little kid caressing with curiosity the little scar that my mother had on her arm because of a vaccination against.... well, something I don't remember at the moment, but her and everyone else of her generation have that vaccination scar.

When did we suddenly decide that vaccines are harmful? probably since a random moron came out with a stupid study on how "vaccines cause autism" (spoiler, they don't) and it ignited a mass hysteria about vaccines. Once there was the saying of (not) "shouting fire in a crowded theater", now we should warn about not spewing inane bullshit on the web, there is always someone idiot enough to believe it (I'm looking at you, Qanon).

Now, of course we should differentiate between the two kind of no vaxxers...

1) The extremist ones, the "vaccines cause autism" ones, the "Bill Gates inject us microchips for population control" ones; these are people with serious psychological issues and they should receive professional help, and until they get it, they should not be allowed to vote or to have children;

2) The "rational" ones, people who understand the importance of vaccines but have doubts about the rush for this particular one - I would be curious to know how much they knew vaccines beforehand, and how many hours (or minutes?) they spend educating themselves about it to TRULY understand the issue. You can't get educated about vaccines, if it was not your field, just by reading a random internet article. There's a lot more of work that has to go into it.

1) Way to already diagnose those people with psychological issues.

2) There are other doctors who are also saying things about vaccines. There are also many doctors who don't agree with each other on certain things. There are also doctors who are for Holistic and Natural remedies than for the push for Man-Made Vaccines.

Also, Do we really know what is in these vaccines they are injecting into us? Or do we just go "oh ok, I trust the doctor" (Requiem For A Dream does a good example of these bad doctors, when the main characters Mother ends up taking "Uppers" so she can lose wait to fit into her dress to go on her favorite show, she ends up addicted, because she put her trust in that doctor, and ends up in a mental institution at the end.) There are those people as well. And those people get taken advantage of, because they don't know.

Decades isn't that long in the long run, a lot can happen, yes, but not as much as can in a Century. Vaccines haven't been around for centuries.

What are Vaccines? Vaccines stimulate the immune system to attack a specific harmful agent.

"A vaccine can confer active immunity against a specific harmful agent by stimulating the immune system to attack the agent. Once stimulated by a vaccine, the antibody-producing cells, called B cells (or B lymphocytes), remain sensitized and ready to respond to the agent should it ever gain entry to the body. A vaccine may also confer passive immunity by providing antibodies or lymphocytes already made by an animal or human donor. Vaccines are usually administered by injection (parenteral administration), but some are given orally or even nasally (in the case of flu vaccine). Vaccines applied to mucosal surfaces, such as those lining the gut or nasal passages, seem to stimulate a greater antibody response and may be the most effective route of administration. (For further information, see immunization.)"

I am sure those you listed in both 1) and 2) are not stupid to not understand this. Believe me, some of these people read these and then think for themselves, come to their own conclusions, and will not take the vaccine. It's their choice and their decision to deal with the sickness when/if they get it.

What I want to know is how can we better our immunity without the need of vaccines?

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6349 on: December 13, 2020, 12:22:48 PM »
Honestly, That's the Fear of Death, that we as humanity sometimes face on a worldwide scale. That its come to a time when many will die, and who will be the lucky few that do. It's what you call Hitting the Wall of Reality, and Truth. People don't want to face it, and then do anything necessary to make sure they survive. Some people, face it and accept the fact they will likely die tomorrow, "But I'll be alright, because I believe". No matter how much we like it or not. This is the reality, and this is what we are facing. Life doesn't care if you like it or not, It'll still go on, and the world will continue to spin. "Why does the world continue to spin, while everything around me grinds to a halt."

Sorry, for getting a bit philosophical, but It's what I see and how I view the world. And how Reality is presenting itself to us at this moment in our lifetime. It's why some are calling this a test of humanity. A test of where we decide which way the world will go.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6350 on: December 13, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »
I had an argument with my husband about this just yesterday. "It's all politics and profit and these vaccines are out too quickly". Okay, so which steps were skipped and how did politics and profit chasing impact the development of each of the vaccines we were talking about? "They could be lying about anything and everything, if you believe everyone you're too naive, I have the right to have my doubts." Why do you have your doubts? "Because profit, lying, politics." Spinning in circles. Like people just have to deal with this emotionally by rationalizing themselves into stupid attitudes they never had about anything, ever. I see that all the time. My best friend is like "ok so we're all gonna get it so I'm just gonna live my life." Girl, if we could all get it tomorrow and be okay, don't you think that would have been the easy way out of this situation?

That's the point. You can take it. I won't. That's the freedom of choice.

"Why are you so concerned about what I put into my body." That's the argument and point some of these antivaxxers are making as well.
There are some people sworn to treat you if you willingly choose to risk getting sick from this thing, and at some point next year they'd like to stop working 12-hour shifts where they watch people die in painful and gruesome ways.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6351 on: December 13, 2020, 04:15:32 PM »
Very few things piss me off more than anti vaxxers, especially those who espouse 'personal choice' as their reasoning. There's also an aspect of social responsibility. You aren't just protecting yourself, you're protecting those who are immune-compromised or for whatever other reason can't get a specific jab. Case in point...

I've never had chicken pox, and am 51 years old now. The answer would be easy, get vaccinated, except I can't because I'm allergic to one of the key ingredients (neomyacin). If for some reason I got it at my age, say because some mom-hard group decided to have a pox party to get all their crotch goblins natural immunity, and they passed it on to me, I'd get very, very fucking sick at my age. Or someone who's system is compromised because of chemo, and their jabs have lost efficacy, they need our herd protection from all these diseases. In short, don't be fucking selfish, get vaccinated.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6352 on: December 13, 2020, 04:21:12 PM »
I agree.  Personal choice is fine, but when your choices and behaviors harm others, you've crossed the line.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6353 on: December 13, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »
And these days, "personal choice" means religious liberties which translates to religious privilege. In Texas, your child cannot enroll in public school  unless they have vaccinations - unless they get a religious exemption and in some states, parents are allowed to let their children die because they literally believe in "woo" and they won't vaccinate "their" children. Children have been killed simply because of what their parents believe. This has been happening for years!
That said, I would support a law that restricts rights of people who don't vaccinate.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6354 on: December 13, 2020, 05:03:25 PM »
And these days, "personal choice" means religious liberties which translates to religious privilege. In Texas, your child cannot enroll in public school  unless they have vaccinations - unless they get a religious exemption and in some states, parents are allowed to let their children die because they literally believe in "woo" and they won't vaccinate "their" children. Children have been killed simply because of what their parents believe. This has been happening for years!
That said, I would support a law that restricts rights of people who don't vaccinate.

This.  So much.  No shirt, no shoes, no vax-proof card, no service.

@ Ben... (serious question, and lord help me I have no idea why I'm asking it), why is the "freedom to choose" the option of getting very fucking sick, and potentially passing it along to others, so important to you? 

Regardless of your answer, I trust then you believe and respect medical professionals should have the freedom of choice whether to treat you if you're sick?  Businesses also should have the freedom of choice as to whether to allow you into their premises or to provide you goods or services?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6355 on: December 13, 2020, 05:05:09 PM »
In Texas, your child cannot enroll in public school  unless they have vaccinations - unless they get a religious exemption...

I thought that was the case in most states(?)

Such as?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6356 on: December 13, 2020, 05:18:03 PM »

Such as?

Ontario is already toying with the idea of requiring proof of vaccination to attend populated indoor businesses or events (eg, movie theatres, casinos, sporting events, concerts etc...).  That's the kind of stuff that I'd be down with.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6357 on: December 13, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »
It amazes me the disinformation on the internet taken as proof.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6358 on: December 13, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »

Such as?

Ontario is already toying with the idea of requiring proof of vaccination to attend populated indoor businesses or events (eg, movie theatres, casinos, sporting events, concerts etc...).  That's the kind of stuff that I'd be down with.

I asked both my local Dr and cop friends if they would be required today, both said not sure yet but my Dr friend said he would get it ASAP and it might be available to him soon because the first NJ doses start Tuesday and he's a health care worker.  I'm wondering the same thing about having to have proof of vaccination to accept certain jobs or go to school.  Maybe even go to concerts

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6359 on: December 13, 2020, 05:29:45 PM »
So......been experiencing some minor symptoms since last Thursday, nothing that was alarming....stuffed up head and some minor body aches. I explained the body aches away from a pretty bad wipe out playing hockey a couple weeks ago because I've been hurting from it ever since. The first symptom Started last Wednesday night. Overnight I woke up with a bit of chills and felt 'weak'....then spent most of Thursday just feeling off a bit and on the toilet most of the day. But no respiratory issues. Breathing fine.....no chest pains.....no cough or sore throat.....and those mild symptoms just persisted through the weekend.

Then, last night I noticed I wasn't really tasting dinner  :omg:   I could taste it but it wasn't the vibrant taste you usually have when eating. Same thing today but then for the better part of today I've had some chest tightness also. Not getting short on breath or anything but just a little tight on the upper left side. My wife also started some symptoms yesterday. She actually drove to a drive up testing spot and got her and my youngest son swabbed because it was convenient.

I called my DR. and she just put in orders for me to get tested tomorrow morning at 8am. Supposed to be a 48 hour turn around for results.....but obviously I'm ordered to quarantine. Which we've been doing. I'm thinking the chances are that I've got the Rona'

We've been pretty safe but I mean.....my job requires me to go in and out of hospitals all day and my wife is a teacher of K-3 grade special needs kids. They don't adhere to the best of hygienic practices AND her school has handled this whole thing horribly concerning the protocols to protect teachers. Could have picked this thing up anywhere if we indeed do have it.

I'll let ya know either way but just wanted to throw it out there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6360 on: December 13, 2020, 05:35:17 PM »
Wife going through the same thing Gary.  She came in contact,  though not close to employee that is positive.  Problem is, she is having sinus issues that are close to the covid symptoms.   She had the test Saturday so we are waiting.

I'm separate from her. Different rooms. No crossing paths. Disinfecting everything she uses.

I've been cooking and cleaning all.

My brother shamed me because I'm not staying out of work. It pissed me off because I let my boss know, talked to the safety manager and they said to work.

You are doing all the right things.  So I got tired of my brother's badgering and hung up on him.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6361 on: December 13, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »

My brother shamed me because I'm not staying out of work. It pissed me off because I let my boss know, talked to the safety manager and they said to work.

Not surprising. I know you don't work for Wal Mart directly, but even as a satellite, they don't care. Their jobs get a lot tougher if you're out. They have to let "people" above them know. Nobody wants to do that.

But if she tests positive, they may need to rethink that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6362 on: December 13, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »
@ Gary.

It was the hockey! They've shut down all of the youth leagues around here.

Hope you feel better!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6363 on: December 13, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
She had the test Saturday so we are waiting.

Here's hoping for the best  :tup   We're hoping that it's just us being paranoid and maybe having a cold or something....but, both our jobs require us to interact with a lot of people. Especially with her being a teacher.....we have to get this clarified if we've got Covid or not.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6364 on: December 13, 2020, 05:45:09 PM »
@ Gary.

Hope you feel better!

Tim....it could be. Can't rule it out. I mean, there are precautions and all but fact of the matter is it's a close quartered sport.

Just promise me if I end up being one of those stories of a 44 year old 'healthy' Father that quickly dies from Covid that maybe one day you'd find my kids and say something nice about me to them. Even if you have to lie about it.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6365 on: December 13, 2020, 05:48:19 PM »
@ Gary.

Hope you feel better!

Tim....it could be. Can't rule it out. I mean, there are precautions and all but fact of the matter is it's a close quartered sport.

Just promise me if I end up being one of those stories of a 44 year old 'healthy' Father that quickly dies from Covid that maybe one day you'd find my kids and say something nice about me to them. Even if you have to lie about it.  :lol

Missouri is on the list. My son wants to see the arch, and I want to go to Kansas City, I was born there. I want to take in a Royals game.

I'll be sure to let them know! :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6366 on: December 13, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »

Not surprising. I know you don't work for Wal Mart directly, but even as a satellite, they don't care. Their jobs get a lot tougher if you're out. They have to let "people" above them know. Nobody wants to do that.

She tests positive,  I get a test and I'm automatically out 14 days positive or not. 

Also, my company is not Wal Mart.  They are our customer. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6367 on: December 13, 2020, 05:53:09 PM »
Fuckity fuck fuck fuck!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6368 on: December 13, 2020, 05:53:34 PM »

She tests positive,  I get a test and I'm automatically out 14 days positive or not. 

Also, my company is not Wal Mart.  They are our customer.

I know. I said that. ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6369 on: December 13, 2020, 05:55:54 PM »
Then you should know Wal Mart has nothing to do with our policy.