Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 436177 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5390 on: September 21, 2020, 07:24:51 AM »
Despite the fact that YOU feel there’s no such thing as common sense, many (here, and in broader society) do. Just saying it over and over and over and over again doesn’t make your view on the matter any more right than others’.

Yes, I realize I’m opening a can of worms with you in this matter. It’s something I think everyone here knows you’re extremely ardent about.
My experience with the general public leads me to agree with Stadler.  Common sense is largely a myth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5391 on: September 21, 2020, 07:35:02 AM »
Some woman was walking with (I assume) her husband, and she had a mask and kept it down, but when she got like 100 feet away from me she put it up and walked through the grass to avoid getting near me. How stupid is that?  :lol

What's stupid in avoiding people? that's literally how I spent my two weeks of holidays, never coming close to anyone and avoiding them on purpouse, making the few extra steps on the side when possible.

She didn't throw herself under a bus or crawled under a parked car just to avoid another person - she was in the open, in the park, there was a way to be a bit faraway from another incoming person and she took it.

The mask if at all is a reflex - the mask protects THE OTHERS, not YOU, so if by chance you're infected and sneeze the moment she's right beside you, having a mask on wouldn't save her. But still, it's better to use it in vain than not use it at all.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5392 on: September 21, 2020, 07:37:35 AM »
Some woman was walking with (I assume) her husband, and she had a mask and kept it down, but when she got like 100 feet away from me she put it up and walked through the grass to avoid getting near me. How stupid is that?  :lol

What's stupid in avoiding people? that's literally how I spent my two weeks of holidays, never coming close to anyone and avoiding them on purpouse, making the few extra steps on the side when possible.

She didn't throw herself under a bus or crawled under a parked car just to avoid another person - she was in the open, in the park, there was a way to be a bit faraway from another incoming person and she took it.

The mask if at all is a reflex - the mask protects THE OTHERS, not YOU, so if by chance you're infected and sneeze the moment she's right beside you, having a mask on wouldn't save her. But still, it's better to use it in vain than not use it at all.

It's stupid because there were 6 people spread across a half mile of distance and wouldn't wear her mask while walking directly alongside someone but puts it up and walks through the grass 100 feet away from someone else. That's what's stupid. She might as well have crawled under a car with how far out of her way she went. I fucking understand what a mask is for, mom :lol no need to tell me something I was telling people in this thread about back in March. And if you're that fearful of walking near someone, dear god I hope she doesn't go to the grocery store

Also I feel the need to stress that we have like, almost no COVID cases here anymore. Literally the only cases are from schools now, and it's maybe 1 or 2 a week. She has a better chance of catching a cold or the flu.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 07:43:12 AM by The Walrus »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5393 on: September 21, 2020, 07:51:08 AM »

It's stupid because there were 6 people spread across a half mile of distance and wouldn't wear her mask while walking directly alongside someone but puts it up and walks through the grass 100 feet away from someone else. That's what's stupid. She might as well have crawled under a car with how far out of her way she went. I fucking understand what a mask is for, mom :lol no need to tell me something I was telling people in this thread about back in March. And if you're that fearful of walking near someone, dear god I hope she doesn't go to the grocery store

Also I feel the need to stress that we have like, almost no COVID cases here anymore. Literally the only cases are from schools now, and it's maybe 1 or 2 a week. She has a better chance of catching a cold or the flu.

Well, in this situation, it matters whether that was her husband or not. So, since we don't know that.

If it's her husband, I have no problem with it and don't see it as stupid. They live in the same house, and share the same bed.

If it's her boyfriend, then it could go either way as there is more we need to know.

If it's a friend that's a boy, then I might agree with you.

Edit: Just noticed, you didn't say anything whether the man had a mask or not. If not, then I totally agree with you about her stupidity. Why have a mask anyways.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5394 on: September 21, 2020, 07:54:22 AM »
See you're splitting hairs now. What difference at all does it make if the guy is her boyfriend or her husband? Now you're operating on assumptions. You know people can live together if they're not married yeah? Just let me have my moment bitching about people. Jeeze.  :lol

The man didn't have a mask either. I can count on one hand the number of people I have seen outside, walking or running, wearing a mask. It's dumb to do out here in a sparsely populated area. Ain't gonna change my view on this.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5395 on: September 21, 2020, 07:54:54 AM »
Despite the fact that YOU feel there’s no such thing as common sense, many (here, and in broader society) do. Just saying it over and over and over and over again doesn’t make your view on the matter any more right than others’.

Yes, I realize I’m opening a can of worms with you in this matter. It’s something I think everyone here knows you’re extremely ardent about.

I never said that; I'm very aware that it's my view.  Although:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-power-prime/201107/common-sense-is-neither-common-nor-sense  (And "saying it over and over" doesn't make it right - read any of my posts where I call that out - but if it's right to begin with, restating those same FACTS over and over may be of benefit for those that haven't seen them before). 

Having said that, regardless who is right - you or me - there's the issue of "the other guy". Most of this discussion is about "the other guy".  The "other guy" isn't wearing their mask right.  "The other guy" is emphasizing football over my health.  "The other guy..."   Isn't it amazing that everyone in this forum is perfect in terms of the levels of personal protection, and exposure, and what their life priorities are?   I say that to be funny, but it's not an insignificant point. 

You made the comment about "my view", and it's one I take to heart.  I know FULL WELL that many of my views aren't in keeping with the majority. I'm okay with that.  But here's the thing:   my OPINION is of equal value to all of them.  And while I also believe that opinions have zero value, it's reinforced the idea that mob rule is a bad way to go.   It's actually BECAUSE I know I'm not in step with the rest that I am so conscious of respecting the views of those that don't agree with me.  Like the people that seemingly don't know how to wear a mask.  Or the people that seemingly value a high school football game over human life.   Namely, "the other guy".     All this is about forcing someone else to do what you - the collective, but still, YOU - want them to do because of YOUR prioritization of the issues.  That's the only point I'm trying to make.  Labeling it "common sense" - whether it exists or not - doesn't make that prioritization any more or less valid. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5396 on: September 21, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
See you're splitting hairs now. What difference at all does it make if the guy is her boyfriend or her husband? Now you're operating on assumptions. You know people can live together if they're not married yeah? Just let me have my moment bitching about people. Jeeze.  :lol

The man didn't have a mask either. I can count on one hand the number of people I have seen outside, walking or running, wearing a mask. It's dumb to do out here in a sparsely populated area. Ain't gonna change my view on this.

Yeah I was splitting hairs. But you also made the assumption that she's her husband. And it's also why I said it can go either way because I know boyfriends and girlfriends can live together. It just adds more variables to the assumption she's stupid.    :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5397 on: September 21, 2020, 08:02:11 AM »
I bought a utility trailer yesterday from a guy two towns over.  I showed up, with mask, and at one time or another, spoke to his wife, him, his sister-in-law, and some other guy (might have been his dad).  As I said, I wore a mask; no one else did.  At one point as I was hooking up the trailer, my mask got tangled, and I made a joke about it.  He said "I don't believe in that stuff anyway" and waved his hand.  I just said "well, I wore it out of respect for you.  I came to your house, and figured better safe than sorry".   Finished hooking up the trailer and left.   I suppose I put myself at some higher risk than if I sat at my dinner table and did crossword puzzles, but it is what it is.   I can't control that situation any more than I can control the weather.  It's a man with his family in his own house.   

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5398 on: September 21, 2020, 08:09:06 AM »
I bought a utility trailer yesterday from a guy two towns over.  I showed up, with mask, and at one time or another, spoke to his wife, him, his sister-in-law, and some other guy (might have been his dad).  As I said, I wore a mask; no one else did.  At one point as I was hooking up the trailer, my mask got tangled, and I made a joke about it.  He said "I don't believe in that stuff anyway" and waved his hand.  I just said "well, I wore it out of respect for you.  I came to your house, and figured better safe than sorry".   Finished hooking up the trailer and left.   I suppose I put myself at some higher risk than if I sat at my dinner table and did crossword puzzles, but it is what it is.   I can't control that situation any more than I can control the weather.  It's a man with his family in his own house.

And that is my main point of it all. You can't control people, and people will be assholes. It's expected when you walk out that door and take the risk that some asshole will be an asshole and do things to people regardless. So all you (as an individual) can do is mask up, and stay separated, if you are concerned about it and stay home as much as you can.

Not saying those guys are assholes either. It's their home, and you're the stranger in their home so it's expected of you (the stranger) to take these precautions.

Now I wonder how it would've went down if you didn't wear a mask. I doubt they'd care at as it's not a risk they consider big to them.

Now this all goes into Morals. Dammit, brain... :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5399 on: September 21, 2020, 08:38:25 AM »
I spent a few hours walking around a pond by a park yesterday, and there were a small handful of people (like, 6 max) across the whole area all evening. Some woman was walking with (I assume) her husband, and she had a mask and kept it down, but when she got like 100 feet away from me she put it up and walked through the grass to avoid getting near me. How stupid is that?  :lol

I still don't see anything stupid here.  If you're with a group of people, there's no point in wearing masks because you've all been exposed to each other anyway.  But around others, she put the mask up (whether out of courtesy or what, we don't know) and went out of her way to keep her distance from you.

When my daughter was home over break and the four of us went for walks (me, wife, both kids) that's exactly what we did.  The four of us walked together, masks in hand.  When we passed others on the path, everyone put their masks on as we passed each other.  Sometimes people stayed way off to the side to increase distance.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5400 on: September 21, 2020, 08:41:37 AM »
Well, that's you... Down here, in a sparsely populated area, I think it is stupid to wear a mask out in the open air when almost nobody ever runs across your path. Don't see what it matters, either, it's not like I stopped and chastised her. I saw people out in the July heat walking down the sidewalk at high noon with thick masks on their faces, and there's nobody around them for the length of a football track and it made me laugh. Again, you're not gonna change my view on this small meaningless matter, I just find it amusing. That's why I just post my thoughts here, because I'm not gonna go tell someone how to live.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5401 on: September 21, 2020, 08:46:24 AM »
Well, that's you... Down here, in a sparsely populated area, I think it is stupid to wear a mask out in the open air when almost nobody ever runs across your path. Don't see what it matters, either, it's not like I stopped and chastised her. I saw people out in the July heat walking down the sidewalk at high noon with thick masks on their faces, and there's nobody around them for the length of a football track and it made me laugh. Again, you're not gonna change my view on this small meaningless matter, I just find it amusing. That's why I just post my thoughts here, because I'm not gonna go tell someone how to live.

It's like wearing a mask when you're driving alone.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5402 on: September 21, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »
Yeah, exactly. Like, hey, you do you, but uh... you look silly  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5403 on: September 21, 2020, 08:52:43 AM »

I'm not trying to tell you how to live.  I'm just trying to understand your thought process, and it's like you're intentionally avoiding explaining it.

Yes, it's stupid to wear in a sparsely populated area.  So she didn't wear it.  But it makes perfect sense to put it on when you do encounter other people, so she put it on.  What did she do that was stupid?

Whether the area you live in is sparsely populated or not, it's where you are and who is around you at the time that matters, and she did exactly what I would have expected (except for maybe cutting across the grass).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5404 on: September 21, 2020, 08:55:02 AM »

I'm not trying to tell you how to live.  I'm just trying to understand your thought process, and it's like you're intentionally avoiding explaining it.

Yes, it's stupid to wear in a sparsely populated area.  So she didn't wear it.  But it makes perfect sense to put it on when you do encounter other people, so she put it on. What did she do that was stupid?

Whether the area you live in is sparsely populated or not, it's where you are and who is around you at the time that matters, and she did exactly what I would have expected (except for maybe cutting across the grass).

(EDIT: I wasn't implying you were telling me how to live. That had nothing to do with you :P )

Me: blowing off steam on a Monday morning
Everyone else: let me explain to you things you already know and ask you questions you already answered

Like I literally answered that question already. If you think I'm a jackass (which I fully admit I can be, it won't hurt my feelings), just say so, but no need to beat the dead horse. Jeeze guys. I thought what she did was dumb, you don't, I'm the one who was there, we can move on now and stop treating this like it's forensics  :lol

Hey, did you guys hear about this coronavirus thing? It might become a problem, idk.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:38:31 AM by The Walrus »

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5405 on: September 21, 2020, 09:01:11 AM »
The county I live in in Wisconsin has been averaging about 15 new cases a day for quite a while, yesterday we had 78 new cases.

I hate this virus.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5406 on: September 21, 2020, 09:19:04 AM »
CNN headline: "The CDC website says there is growing evidence droplets and airborne particles can remain in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel over 6 feet"

Wow, no shit? I was saying the same thing back in April. Particles don't just magically stop at a 6 foot boundary. And you're telling me they can stay in the AIR and be breathed in by others? Oh man this changes everything. Good lord... :facepalm:

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5407 on: September 21, 2020, 09:21:04 AM »
I'm more worried about all this damn smoke. And how it's going to effect us in this coming season of sicknesses.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5408 on: September 21, 2020, 09:25:11 AM »
CNN headline: "The CDC website says there is growing evidence droplets and airborne particles can remain in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel over 6 feet"

Wow, no shit? I was saying the same thing back in April. Particles don't just magically stop at a 6 foot boundary. And you're telling me they can stay in the AIR and be breathed in by others? Oh man this changes everything. Good lord... :facepalm:

ARE YOU SERIOUS...That's like a giant kick in the balls.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5409 on: September 21, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
Mike... in case anyone hasn't told you today, you're a jackass.   :biggrin:

And yeah... I'm really not sure what that CDC release was supposed to accomplish - wasn't this, like, common knowledge (oh dear, there I go using the "common" word again!).  I always assumed 6 ft was the minimum distance we should be keeping.  More is better for sure.  More distance = more safety = less risk.

IMO, this is nothing new.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5410 on: September 21, 2020, 10:26:48 AM »
The county I live in in Wisconsin has been averaging about 15 new cases a day for quite a while, yesterday we had 78 new cases.

I hate this virus.

We've seen more infections here too, I think from Labor Day gatherings.  Hospitalizations aren't up though.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5411 on: September 21, 2020, 10:30:13 AM »

Say that to my face, hoser!

Yes, I am trying to prod you into coming back to Atlanta next year  :loser:  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5412 on: September 21, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »

Yes, I am trying to prod you into coming back to Atlanta next year  :loser:  :lol

If this is any motivator to come to atlanta, please do call him a jack ass to his face  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5413 on: September 21, 2020, 12:54:00 PM »

If this is any motivator to come to atlanta, please do call him a jack ass to his face  :lol

First round's on me if he does it! :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5414 on: September 21, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »
The CDC now retracts their earlier statement pertaining to air spread.

https://wcbs880.radio.com/articles/radiocom/cdc-growing-evidence-that-covid-spreads-mainly-through-air

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #5415 on: September 21, 2020, 01:01:34 PM »

I do indeed understand where you're coming from. I live in a town of 4K people and I took the dog for a walk and didn't pass a single person. Driving home I passed a car with a single person in the car and he was wearing a mask. Yes, it perplexes me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5416 on: September 21, 2020, 02:44:28 PM »
The CDC now retracts their earlier statement pertaining to air spread.

https://wcbs880.radio.com/articles/radiocom/cdc-growing-evidence-that-covid-spreads-mainly-through-air

This doesn't smell fishy at all.   :o

CDC:  Just a reminder everyone, cuz ya'll so stupid to not physically distance, respiratory droplets can travel more than 6 feet, especially indoors.
White House:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #5417 on: September 21, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
I said it earlier but if one wants to apply mask usage protocol, you're not supposed to take it off until you can wash your hands with soap and water immediately after, which is why you would still be wearing in your car on the way or until you got home.   Now of course not many people do it that way,  I certainly don't,  but it IS the recommended way of using it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-wear-cloth-face-coverings.html

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5418 on: September 21, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
My favorite was watching my neighbor put on a mask to walk to his shed and back. Literally no one else outside within view. Certainly no one within 50 feet. He was never less than 20 feet from the edge of his property. To each their own I guess. I personally don't wear a mask for a minute more than I have to by the executive order or my workplaces requirements and sanitize/wash my hand frequently.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5419 on: September 23, 2020, 02:20:43 PM »
It's odd...a mask is starting to feel like a seat belt. When it's not on I feel weird.

Also funny to watch so many epic mask failures. Whether It's on football games, news interviews, or just anybody anywhere. The masks fall off their nose and constantly have to be pushed up. You're not even supposed to touch your mask, but everyone does. I honestly wonder, after seeing the struggle, how much good are they really doing?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5420 on: September 23, 2020, 03:18:58 PM »
I said it earlier but if one wants to apply mask usage protocol, you're not supposed to take it off until you can wash your hands with soap and water immediately after, which is why you would still be wearing in your car on the way or until you got home.   Now of course not many people do it that way,  I certainly don't,  but it IS the recommended way of using it.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-wear-cloth-face-coverings.html

How bout just not touching your face until you get a chance to wash your hands?  Then, wash your face after washing hands.  Makes more sense than leaving a mask on until washing hands when there's no one around.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5421 on: September 23, 2020, 03:22:46 PM »
If you're like me, you already touch your face so often you never really cared about touching your mask anyway. It's not a big deal if you touch your mask imo, it's not lava

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5422 on: September 23, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
If you're like me, you already touch your face so often you never really cared about touching your mask anyway. It's not a big deal if you touch your mask imo, it's not lava

You're not wearing your lava mask?

Pussy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5423 on: September 23, 2020, 03:24:15 PM »
My favorite was watching my neighbor put on a mask to walk to his shed and back. Literally no one else outside within view. Certainly no one within 50 feet. He was never less than 20 feet from the edge of his property. To each their own I guess. I personally don't wear a mask for a minute more than I have to by the executive order or my workplaces requirements and sanitize/wash my hand frequently.

Your neighbour certainly did a completely useless thing, but between the two extremes, I'd rather have someone wearing it pointlessly than someone refusing to wear it or not making just two literal steps aside when crossing someone, in situations when there's plenty of space to do so.

After two weeks of holidays walking around places I'd swear the ratio of people who made the effort to avoid me was 1 to 100 if not even lower. Today I was outside the gates of my house after a bike ride, searching for the keys to enter, a girl was coming behind me and I was already thinking "Of course she'll pass right behind me" and she instead went a bit in the street to avoid coming close to me. I wanted to offer something, I am always, ALWAYS the one who avoids other people.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5424 on: September 23, 2020, 03:31:47 PM »

You're not wearing your lava mask?

Pussy.

I'm an Aquarius, man. Wind type here. Pidgeotto representin'.