Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 436194 times)

Online faizoff

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4515 on: July 17, 2020, 12:41:47 PM »
Ah nothing like tech talk in a coronavirus thread. I can't remember the last time I've used a browser without any kind of adblocking plugin. I use the usual suspects of adblock and adblock plus, ghostery, ublock origin, adguard. I go back and forth with noscript since it involves quite a bit of configuration and uses to set it correctly by which at some point you become frustrated to still configuring rather than just browsing.

Also be aware that some websites detect your ad blocking and privacy tracing blockers and won't display the pages until you turn the blockers off. Some will kindly ask you to disable but still allow you to view the webpage. YMMV.

I use enhancer for Youtube that gives additional controls on layout etc..

I've been using duckduckgo for years now and rarely ever go to google to search anything. I do use google products (gmail & maps) but am really trying not to be dependent on just one company for a one size fits all browsing experience.

I've been using Firefox for ages as well, when they switched to the new build engine which made things vastly faster. I do like the new Edge browser that uses the chromium engine, it works just as fast the other browsers and allows a ton of configuration these days, infact that's what I've been using the past few months. I might go back to Firefox though.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4516 on: July 17, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »
I use a program called “I just ignore the ads”.
Works pretty well for me.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4517 on: July 17, 2020, 12:47:33 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think as many people experience this as they think. They believe they are, but they're not. They interpret themselves as "thinking" about something and getting ads, but in reality they've been broadcasting their interests for a long time.
See, I would think so too, except the exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was talking about getting married within the earshot of my phone and computer and a few days later I got wedding dress advertisements. I wasn't telling it to anyone except my family, in the same room, just talking to them, and I wasn't browsing for anything wedding-related because we were just going to go to the city hall. It was a very casual "so I'm going to be doing this sometime this year" kind of thing. And yet there they were.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online faizoff

« Reply #4518 on: July 17, 2020, 12:51:28 PM »

And add Duckduckgo or StartPage as your default search engine, and you'll get a double wammy of privacy awesomeness.

Nice! I use it too and love it. Wasn't sure if it was that widely used but I used to have Awesome Tab back in my chrome days.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #4519 on: July 17, 2020, 01:18:43 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think as many people experience this as they think. They believe they are, but they're not. They interpret themselves as "thinking" about something and getting ads, but in reality they've been broadcasting their interests for a long time.
See, I would think so too, except the exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was talking about getting married within the earshot of my phone and computer and a few days later I got wedding dress advertisements. I wasn't telling it to anyone except my family, in the same room, just talking to them, and I wasn't browsing for anything wedding-related because we were just going to go to the city hall. It was a very casual "so I'm going to be doing this sometime this year" kind of thing. And yet there they were.

Well, think of all the not-so relevant commercials you get that you just glance over and forget. Statistically there will be such incidents by default.

Another possibility is that people you interact with did search for it and algorithms link you. Or a profile based on your assumed age/gender and/or related interests.

While I know all kind of algorithms are monitoring everyone, there are still a hell of a lot of caveats to them. The fact that I got months of laptop commercials while browsing on my brand new laptop (and the same for my phone) or get commercials for a degree I already obtained shows me the process is faulty. I'd say 20% of online commercials I get are relevant to me, at best. And those are the ones that are usually the result of something I literally just googled or from the online shop I just clicked.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4520 on: July 17, 2020, 02:41:49 PM »

And add Duckduckgo or StartPage as your default search engine, and you'll get a double wammy of privacy awesomeness.

Nice! I use it too and love it. Wasn't sure if it was that widely used but I used to have Awesome Tab back in my chrome days.

Yeah, I've been a fan of StartPage for years, too bad it hasn't gotten as much traction as Duckduckgo.  But both are great.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #4521 on: July 17, 2020, 07:37:14 PM »
Coke has dramatically cut down its SKUs.
It’s nice to know that it’s not just here in Minnesota that they are cutting SKUs. It’s been interesting seeing what disappears. Couldn’t get ramen back in stock until June, now canning supplies are gone. Yeast still continues to be hit and miss, having trouble getting certain pastas from Italy, meat substitutes have been hard to get. It’s very interesting. For yeast, we’re looking at building up stock for the holidays with what we get right now.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4522 on: July 17, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »
Coke has dramatically cut down its SKUs.
It’s nice to know that it’s not just here in Minnesota that they are cutting SKUs. It’s been interesting seeing what disappears. Couldn’t get ramen back in stock until June, now canning supplies are gone. Yeast still continues to be hit and miss, having trouble getting certain pastas from Italy, meat substitutes have been hard to get. It’s very interesting. For yeast, we’re looking at building up stock for the holidays with what we get right now.

yeah, I know what you mean. And California is locked down again.  I expect we'll see more food shortages soon. And if there ends up being a second wave in the fall, things could go back to the way they were a few months ago. We've been stocking up as well just in case. We figure if we have a 3 month supply of all the essentials saved up then we should be good.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4523 on: July 17, 2020, 09:51:55 PM »
My store was out of ramen for a good few weeks, much to the disappointment of my daughter (and myself). It was really the only grocery item we buy regularly that my store was always out of. Tortillas were often in short supply. Same with rice. And I noticed there was always a dearth of flour. Everyone stuck at home took up baking, I guess.

I've noticed some stores posting signs saying there is a national coin shortage, and to have exact change if paying by cash.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4524 on: July 17, 2020, 10:24:06 PM »
Ramen was out of stock for ages here. Fortunately, I had stocked up several weeks before people started to panic buy, mostly out of coincidence.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4525 on: July 18, 2020, 09:48:50 AM »
A woman who became a good friend during my time volunteering and being a Site Coordinator for Meals On Wheels years ago is now hospitalized.  Considering she worked in the East Wing during Eisenhower's last two years in the White House, her outlooks are not promising.  She was still volunteering once a week.

And one of my twin nieces tested positive yesterday, and has been sick for a couple of days. Her Mom drove down from Maryland to Nashville late last night.  Our niece is 25, has a Master's, and also has Lupus and 'something' that caused her hair to drastically thin out years ago.  Smart, educated......and yet she flew down to Florida two weeks ago with her 'this guy is a bit controlling and somewhat of a loser' boyfriend, as well as attending a comedy show in Nashville.  No one wore masks at that club, plenty of pix with her and friends hugging.   :facepalm:    :censored her!  Of all people, she should have known better. 

Even with the best outcome, this is going to affect her for months/years to come.

We visited with her last October, but I could not go to our family get together at her parents last Christmas,  because I had that weird two week all I could do was sleep preCovid flu.

frick, frick, frick
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4526 on: July 18, 2020, 04:56:12 PM »
That is sad DragonAttack.  I hope she recovers OK.

I don't know if it's been discussed on here or not, but there was a story in the news about a "Covid-19" party that happened and a young man in his 30's? ended up contracting it and died in the hospital.  From what I remember from the article, his last words to the doctor were "I think I made a big mistake".  Then he died.

I don't believe tempting fate is a good idea.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4527 on: July 18, 2020, 05:10:03 PM »
^
Well, I hope the hosts paid him .........
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4528 on: July 18, 2020, 05:30:29 PM »
Damn Joe, that is all bad. Hope they recover!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4529 on: July 18, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
If my comment would have been visible and audible, it would have started with a sigh, then said in a low tone whilst shaking my head. 

I don't wish for them to get 'it', I just wish they would get 'it'...ie, the seriousness of it all.  I can see where some buckle under peer pressure to show up or get dragged to things like that, just so they won't be considered as a wuss.  It could have happened to me at that age.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4530 on: July 18, 2020, 07:36:13 PM »
There is no reason anyone over the age of 13 should succumb to any level of "peer pressure."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4531 on: July 18, 2020, 07:37:20 PM »
There is no reason anyone over the age of 13 should succumb to any level of "peer pressure."

That's strong.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4532 on: July 19, 2020, 06:30:49 AM »
My company doesn't do any of the data collecting, they just match it with ads so I don't know, but my guess is it listens to everything because of the many examples of people experiencing that.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think as many people experience this as they think. They believe they are, but they're not. They interpret themselves as "thinking" about something and getting ads, but in reality they've been broadcasting their interests for a long time. I might be "thinking" about BBQ sauce all afternoon, but haven't searched for BBQ sauce online. If I'm scrolling through Instagram and their algorithms note that I spend 18% more time looking at BBQ related pictures over the average of anything else, it could easily deduce that I got BBQ sauce in some capacity on my mind. I didn't have to search for anything specific, or tell anyone verbally about my interest in BBQ. The simple act of slowing down the rate at which I scroll through my feed when BBQ is present is more than enough to identify what's on my mind.

My mom is super guilty of this. "I was thinking about how I needed new yarn the other day and immediately started seeing ads for it. I think my phone was listening when I told your father". Well, maybe. But also consider that she buys hundreds of dollars worth of yarn per year, both in store and on Amazon. The internet knows she likes to knit, as does Michael's. It's no secret. Also, it's entirely possible she's been seeing ads for knitting stuff all the time and just tunes them out. They only reason she noticed them this most recent time was because she was just thinking about it and actually needs what's being advertised to her.

Also, people think of hundreds of things a day. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then. 

I really wish I could remember the pod cast that goes into this exact point of how using ai it's not that hard to figure out what you're interested in by simple buying/browing/location habits. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4533 on: July 19, 2020, 07:25:30 AM »
A couple years ago, I started seeing Facebook ads for pinball machines.  I'm talking about real Bally or Williams tables from the 70's and 80's.  Apparently there are companies out there that refurbish them and sell them for thousands of dollars.  Okay, if I had thousands of dollars to spend on something like that, that would definitely be cool.  But why I am seeing all these ads all of a sudden?

After a couple weeks of this, my buddy John back in Michigan posts some pictures of the awesome pinball machine he bought online, one of the ones we spent countless hours on back when we were kids.  Facebook knew he was looking around for one, and figured his friends might be interested as well.  Next time we got together at his house (this is all pre-COVID, obviously) we played a few rounds, and I said that that explains why I was seeing Facebook ads for pinballs machines.  Everyone else said the same thing.  Facebook knows.  I don't know if it was smart enough to target only friends about the same age, as opposed to his kids and his kids' friends that he's friends with, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4534 on: July 19, 2020, 11:22:47 AM »
Not sure what is more terrifying at this point; the virus, the way online marketing has inundated our lives, or a nationwide shortage of ramen and Coke.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4535 on: July 19, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »
Not sure what is more terrifying at this point; the virus, the way online marketing has inundated our lives, or a nationwide shortage of ramen and Coke.

Have WildRanger start a poll.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4536 on: July 19, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »

Have WildRanger start a poll.

:spitcoffee:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4537 on: July 19, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »

That's strong.

Ya.  Pretty harsh.  There's countless adults that succumb to peer pressure such as in this typical example:

"I'm not drinking tonight."
"Come on, just one, it won't be as fun with us if you don't drink."
"Ok."

I would say, however, that if I knew then what I know now I would have been stronger-willed growing up.  I did stanground pretty well for myself but there's definitely some moments I wish I could do over.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4538 on: July 19, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »
Yes it was harsh, and it bit over the top, but I was going for a little hyperbole. I did not intend it to be interpreted maliciously - hard to tell over the internet, I forget sometimes. I have also been essentially a loner for my adult life, not counting my beloved wife. So any and all f'ups I've made (there are plenty) I can only attribute to myself.

On topic... no one here but me seems to be talking about what schools are going to do in the fall. I have double the bested interest in this with a kid in 4th grade and a teacher for a wife. My wife works with special needs kids who 1) are going to be less likely to want to wear a mask, wash their hands, observe social distance, and 2) need more hands-on (literally) learning, so is especially concerned about her health and safety. There is a bunch of talk about getting kids back to school when it is "safe" but no real discussion about what "safe" means in this context.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:47:36 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4539 on: July 20, 2020, 05:23:40 AM »
Our town has to submit an initial plan to the state by 7/31, and a more comprehensive plan by 8/10.

I would imagine they've been given guidelines by the State.

I'm not sure anyone knows what will be "safe".

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4540 on: July 20, 2020, 06:17:53 AM »
I find the whole school thing intriguing. My kids will be unaffected because we've homeschooled them for many years before all of this. It's not just about the virus and possible spread. It's about social isolation for kids, domestic abuse at home increasing during stay-at-home orders, the fact that many kids only eat when they're at school, and a whole lot of other factors weighing in favor of kids being physically at school. It almost seems like no one wants to be the first school to make a final decision on what they're doing. Everyone is waiting for someone else to decide so they can follow suit.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4541 on: July 20, 2020, 06:52:06 AM »
I've seen the plans for my local schools... half the kids come in on A day, half the kids come in on B day... they're trying to do half days at school and half at home... I don't see how any of this works or helps with the pandemic at all. You have teachers chopping up their entire schedules, effectively having two sets of kids instead of one. Then you have to hope everybody gets home and online in time for remote learning, if all the kids can even access the Internet. Then you have to hope everybody pays attention and has the same material and can contact the teacher. And if you have the kids together in the same room once, you already risk transmitting the virus, it doesn't matter if you do some crazy complex scheduling after that.

Just seems like a clusterfuck all around.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4542 on: July 20, 2020, 07:40:21 AM »
Just seems like a clusterfuck all around.

Pretty much.  It's a shit show for everyone - gov't, school boards, administrators, teachers, parents, students.  There is NO good option - only trying to find the least-worst one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4543 on: July 20, 2020, 07:41:30 AM »
But I just don't get it, if you're already having kids there for even half a day, why not just have school all day. Why complicate it with all this other bullshit? Elementary school kids can barely focus on school under normal conditions. I think people are fooling themselves into thinking all these complex plans are actually helping when they're... probably not doing much to prevent the spread since you are, at some point, grouping everybody together. At some point we're just going to have to return to our normal lives. A high school or college student isn't going to have nearly the same consequences as a younger, developing mind from missing a semester of quality education...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4544 on: July 20, 2020, 07:53:01 AM »
I thought the idea with having half the kids there at a time was so that they could be spread out more, with more space between each desk/seat and hallways less crowded, etc.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4545 on: July 20, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »
I thought the idea with having half the kids there at a time was so that they could be spread out more, with more space between each desk/seat and hallways less crowded, etc.

It means less kids on each bus as well.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4546 on: July 20, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4547 on: July 20, 2020, 09:09:59 AM »

If only.   The problem is, of course, that most people succumb to it without even knowing it. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4548 on: July 20, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »

If only.   The problem is, of course, that most people succumb to it without even knowing it.

File this under the "unconvenient truths" and spread it everywhere.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4549 on: July 20, 2020, 09:14:04 AM »
Another great side effect of Covid that is starting to take off now is unemployment fraud.

We live in Illinois. On Friday my wife got a letter from the Georgia Dept of Labor informing her that she has been declined unemployment insurance. Then on Saturday she gets another letter reversing the decision. We spent our weekend freezing all of her credit reports, submitting a complaint on identitytheft.gov and are now trying to get in contact with Georgia. Problem is, there phone lines are jammed and we can never even get into a queue. Just a message that they are slammed and it hangs up. Nice.

As for schools, we still don't know. We have been sent two questionnaires from the district. I think the plan is to give us an idea by the end of the month.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history