Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 436175 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4340 on: July 11, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »
As every male learned in high-school and Uni/College, an upward nod for people you know; downward nod for people you don't.

This is totally news to me.

Ok, TAC.

https://medium.com/re-write/the-man-nod-fcb56882a9b4

You are literally the first person I've ever heard reference this, Chad! Don't swing the TAC hammer around so carelessly!  :lol :lol

As every male learned in high-school and Uni/College, an upward nod for people you know; downward nod for people you don't.

Lethean, your ideas are exclusionary towards people who can't speak. And don't say 'good to see you' to a blind person. (I'M JOKING! :) )

Not really sure why you think that's funny.

It was just a joke... easy. No maliciousness in there.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4341 on: July 11, 2020, 10:08:07 AM »

Ok, TAC.

You are literally the first person I've ever heard reference this, Chad! Don't swing the TAC hammer around so carelessly!  :lol :lol

Lethean, your ideas are exclusionary towards people who can't speak. And don't say 'good to see you' to a blind person. (I'M JOKING! :) )

Still not really sure why you think that's funny.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4342 on: July 11, 2020, 10:10:48 AM »
I have never heard of that up/down nod either, but am intrigued. The less I have to communicate and interact with others the happier I am. But I suppose there is still enough humanity left in me to least acknowledge the mere existence of other individuals should I encounter them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4343 on: July 11, 2020, 10:18:49 AM »

That about sums it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4344 on: July 11, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »

Yeah, I'm with Mike and Chris.  Never heard of this.

Ok, TAC.

Still not really sure why you think that's funny.

Probably because...it's funny?

Let's not derail the discussion just because we disagree over humor, ok?  Not that big a deal.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4345 on: July 11, 2020, 11:59:53 AM »
But if you think about how you silently greet people, is the ‘man-nod’ not the way you do it?  See a familiar face from across the room, what do you do?  Pass a stranger in the hallway at work, what do you do?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #4346 on: July 11, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
Smile and wink is my go-to, but I'm no stranger to the nod.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4347 on: July 11, 2020, 12:02:20 PM »
But if you think about how you silently greet people, is the ‘man-nod’ not the way you do it?  See a familiar face from across the room, what do you do?  Pass a stranger in the hallway at work, what do you do?

I got to say I never heard of the different ways to nod and their reasonings. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4348 on: July 11, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »

I got to say I never heard of the different ways to nod and their reasonings.

Clearly, none of you are men
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4349 on: July 11, 2020, 12:12:11 PM »
I always hated the upwards nod because punks do that to look tough. 

Old man rant over.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4350 on: July 11, 2020, 02:24:16 PM »
I gotta side with the other 'non men' here, you be smoking too much of that shitty canadian weed bro.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4351 on: July 11, 2020, 02:27:36 PM »
American - Brah.
Canadian  - Breh.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4352 on: July 11, 2020, 02:34:46 PM »
 :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #4353 on: July 11, 2020, 05:13:48 PM »

Because it *is* funny.

Not sure why you're coming across as being upset about it.  There was nothing malicious about it at all and saying "good to see you" is a ubiquitous greeting these days and, at worst, something that people say to be polite without even giving it a second thought.  I'd be more upset if I were blind and someone didn't greet me at all.

It's like saying "Merry Christmas" and getting upset by that instead of being happy and feeling good that someone is being nice in the first place.

Take it easy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4354 on: July 11, 2020, 06:12:46 PM »

Ok, TAC.

WUT?

So I have never heard of an official Nod Protocol, but I think what Chad says might be it just actually how it works.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4355 on: July 11, 2020, 06:28:33 PM »

Because it *is* funny.
I don't really see anything funny about it.

Not sure why you're coming across as being upset about it.  There was nothing malicious about it at all and saying "good to see you" is a ubiquitous greeting these days and, at worst, something that people say to be polite without even giving it a second thought.  I'd be more upset if I were blind and someone didn't greet me at all.
I can't say for sure, but I probably would too.  I'm not sure if you think I think saying "good to see you" is some kind of insult to anyone, but I certainly don't.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4356 on: July 11, 2020, 06:31:00 PM »
A little sense of humor goes a long way. Jeeze... "Lighten up, Francis."
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4357 on: July 11, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »

How many guys are you trying to get to quit the forum? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4358 on: July 11, 2020, 06:56:43 PM »

How many guys are you trying to get to quit the forum? :lol

One per week in July seems to be the goal. :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4359 on: July 11, 2020, 06:59:36 PM »

I mean ideally the count is still at 0 but preferably no greater than single digits

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4360 on: July 11, 2020, 07:13:26 PM »
Come at me brah.

See, I'm from America brah!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4361 on: July 11, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4362 on: July 11, 2020, 07:20:06 PM »
Tim, see the Canadian/American joke on saying bros. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4363 on: July 11, 2020, 07:20:52 PM »
Not really, no. :lol

*nods down*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4364 on: July 11, 2020, 07:28:35 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4365 on: July 11, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
Not really, no. :lol

*nods down*

You're doing it wrong already.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4366 on: July 11, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4367 on: July 11, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »
*nods up and then down*  :neverusethis:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4368 on: July 11, 2020, 10:54:45 PM »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4369 on: July 12, 2020, 02:12:05 AM »
Second day of high fever and dry cough (not too alarming so far) for a member of my household. House not big enough for him to fully self-isolate so uh keep your fingers crossed for me. If it's not the rony, I'm still going to kill him as soon as he's well because he was not careful enough and caught a bug, which means he could have easily caught the virus too. Yesterday a friend of a friend went to a covid center to get tested because she has a fever and has had contact with someone who tested positive, they turned her away because there aren't enough tests and told her to come back if her condition gets worse. Why aren't there enough tests? Because the state govt got pissed at the public health institute in my city for publishing the real numbers of positive tests and now they're only sending 100 tests per day, for a city of 200 000 people. Just another day of being stuck in Serbia.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4370 on: July 12, 2020, 05:28:18 AM »
Second day of high fever and dry cough (not too alarming so far) for a member of my household. House not big enough for him to fully self-isolate so uh keep your fingers crossed for me. If it's not the rony, I'm still going to kill him as soon as he's well because he was not careful enough and caught a bug, which means he could have easily caught the virus too. Yesterday a friend of a friend went to a covid center to get tested because she has a fever and has had contact with someone who tested positive, they turned her away because there aren't enough tests and told her to come back if her condition gets worse. Why aren't there enough tests? Because the state govt got pissed at the public health institute in my city for publishing the real numbers of positive tests and now they're only sending 100 tests per day, for a city of 200 000 people. Just another day of being stuck in Serbia.

Well this was a gut-punch for a Sunday morning.  Hope your household-mates issue is not COVID.  Fingers and toes are crossed.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4371 on: July 12, 2020, 06:23:40 AM »

Wow, I do this but never realized I do it differently for people I know or don't :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4372 on: July 12, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »

So I have never heard of an official Nod Protocol, but I think what Chad says might be it just actually how it works.

That’s kind of where I’m parked. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4373 on: July 12, 2020, 07:39:34 AM »

:chino2:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4374 on: July 12, 2020, 09:26:13 AM »

:chino2:

Yup me too.  Never knew of a protocol, but when I played the scenarios in my head, they worked perfectly.  I will now spread the gospel of the head nod protocol far and wide.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29