Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 436247 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3220 on: May 08, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »
36 years on this planet, and I'm still not down with a COLD shower.  My showers are all degrees of warm.   If there is no hot water, I might rough it, but the odds are, unless I've really done something to require a shower, I'm doing a "sink level clean". 

Other than when I was 25 or so, I never have had ANY facial hair, and I can't really do the "three days of stubble" look; it doesn't look cool on me, it just looks like I'm three days closer to being homeless.   But I've gotten to the habit of shaving every five or six days or so, which has wrecked havoc on my skin.  So I've been trying to shave every other day, and as incentive, I've left a little on the front.  So depending on your age and your cultural awareness, I look like either a) the leather guy from the Village People, b) Rich Gossage, c) Joe Exotic.   No one, apparently, other than me thinks it's a look that should survive this COVID nonsense.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:41:09 AM by Stadler »

Offline emtee

« Reply #3221 on: May 08, 2020, 07:43:51 AM »
Looking for plausible explanations for this:

Why would the military say they are considering not allowing anyone who had Covid to enlist.

Is there something we don't know about this virus yet that they do? Seems very odd to me. I'm sure there is a logical explanation.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3222 on: May 08, 2020, 07:46:37 AM »
Looking for plausible explanations for this:

Why would the military say they are considering not allowing anyone who had Covid to enlist.

Is there something we don't know about this virus yet that they do? Seems very odd to me. I'm sure there is a logical explanation.

Probably has something to do with not knowing enough about reinfection.

@Stadler: my hot water handle on my tub faucet crapped out last night; I imagine I just need to tighten something with a screwdriver but as much as I love cold showers, the thought of waking up to an ice cold shower was not very appealing. Lucky for me I live alone. All I could think of was that Seinfeld moment... "I WAS IN THE POOL!!"  :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3223 on: May 08, 2020, 08:01:44 AM »
My wife pointed out yesterday that my cheeks really look terrible.  I asked her what she meant by that.  She said they're all fuzzy.  Oh, I get it.  Because I haven't shaved in two months.  Maybe I'm just a horrible person, because I haven't bothered shaving because I don't go to work; no one will see me, so why bother?  She pointed out that she still has to deal with it, and I should want to look presentable for her.  Okay, I suck, because that never occurred to me.

:lol, yeah there is something to that, however you could tell her that you've decided to go on a beard growing journey.  And two months is still in that "awkward" stage of growing a beard.  At around 4 months is when you will get a good idea of what it will look like.  Ask her if she is willing to let you go 2 more months and she can reevaluate it then.

I totally get pleasing the misses, but a beard is just something men need to do at some point in their lives, even if for nothing more than curiosity.

Also, if you are having itching problems, buy some beard oil.  That will solve it.

Probably more info than you wanted but growing a beard is kind of a passion of mine. :biggrin:
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3224 on: May 08, 2020, 08:03:39 AM »
If you want to be fair, tell her she can grow hers out too!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3225 on: May 08, 2020, 08:47:17 AM »
My daughter and I decided that we'd not shave our legs for the duration.  She caved after a month.  I lasted until last weekend.  I'd never done that before.  I felt like a bag lady.  :laugh:

Oh the things we do to amuse ourselves in our boredom.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3226 on: May 08, 2020, 08:56:07 AM »
Also, if you are having itching problems, buy some beard oil.  That will solve it.

Probably more info than you wanted but growing a beard is kind of a passion of mine. :biggrin:

Not to derail the thread, but what do you do about ingrown hair?

I cannot go 3-4 days without shaving before my neck starts to itch, hurt and bother. I tried growing a beard over the holidays (lasted 2 months) and I couldn't handle it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline emtee

« Reply #3227 on: May 08, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »
My daughter and I decided that we'd not shave our legs for the duration.  She caved after a month.  I lasted until last weekend.  I'd never done that before.  I felt like a bag lady.  :laugh:

Oh the things we do to amuse ourselves in our boredom.

pics or it didn't happen :)

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3228 on: May 08, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »

Not to derail the thread, but what do you do about ingrown hair?

I cannot go 3-4 days without shaving before my neck starts to itch, hurt and bother. I tried growing a beard over the holidays (lasted 2 months) and I couldn't handle it.

That's a good quesion.  I don't have a large problem with ingrown hair, but the itching and redness are due to the tips of your hairs being sharp from shaving.  When looked at under a microscope, shaved hair ends look like mini spears.  So when the hair starts to grow out it begins to curl (most beards tend to be curly).  when the hair ends then touch your face it's like a thousand tiny needles poking you all at once.  This is what causes the itching and redness.

Your have two options.  Wait it out and it will eventually go away once the hair is long enough, but this usually isn't an option for most men because it's rather unbearable, which you have experienced.  Or buy some beard oil.  This will soften the hair significantly and make it much less irritating to your skin as it grows out.  This will dramatically ruduce the itching and redness or eliminate it all together.

Beard oil is rather expensive though and the longer your beard is, the more you need to apply every day.  So I would highly advise to make your own, it's A LOT cheaper that way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: May 08, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »
52 cases in town... almost all linked to the pork plant outside town. Most of those afflicted are, reportedly, Latino. I don't mean to sound callous but that makes me feel better because in this small town there are certain areas where certain people live and I don't live near where the Latino community lives. This at least makes me feel better that the cases are mostly isolated to the one plant, but not everybody who works there lives in town, and they're still having people come to work  :facepalm:

But, it really does make me feel better knowing where the cases are coming from. I'm just curious... why are pork plants (around the country) getting this virus? Is it coming from pigs? I don't get it. We have other factories in the industrial park, but they're not getting hit with it, just the pork plant.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3230 on: May 08, 2020, 10:46:43 AM »
I can't verify this, but I think the virus is transmitted between all mamals, so the pigs could transmit it to people and vise versa.  If this is true, then a plant like this in your town would be an idea enviornment to rapidly spread the virus.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #3231 on: May 08, 2020, 11:15:42 AM »
Where I live, there is a ham processing plant and a turkey processing plant and both got hit hard. Their work force is comprised of mainly Hispanics and they live in cheap housing and usually in large numbers. I think it's a matter of the workers work in close proximity and it's quite possible that the owners or managers did not take the proper precautions (i.e. PDEs). There are plenty of people in this small town that think this virus is a hoax and that we've been overreacting.  ::)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3232 on: May 08, 2020, 11:21:10 AM »
I think it's probably a combination of the culture of the workers, tight working conditions, lack of PPE, and complacency due to the fact that meat processing plants tend to be in rural areas, which have fewer cases overall.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3233 on: May 08, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »
Where I live, there is a ham processing plant and a turkey processing plant and both got hit hard. Their work force is comprised of mainly Hispanics and they live in cheap housing and usually in large numbers. I think it's a matter of the workers work in close proximity and it's quite possible that the owners or managers did not take the proper precautions (i.e. PDEs). There are plenty of people in this small town that think this virus is a hoax and that we've been overreacting.  ::)

That is exactly, to a T, what is going on here, I'm pretty sure.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3234 on: May 08, 2020, 11:55:52 AM »
Yeah, 120+ people tested positive at a Hormel plant not too far from me. They closed for 2 weeks and reopened. Doesn't help that POTUS signed an executive order to keep meat plants open. I saw a story yesterday or today that plant employees are starting to quit because they fear going back to work and getting the virus.

Found this that is tracking all the meat plants affected:

https://www.meatpoultry.com/articles/22993-covid-19-meat-plant-map
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Harmony

« Reply #3235 on: May 08, 2020, 03:41:32 PM »
This may be TMI for some but I found it very useful and interesting as it pertains to re-opening.  I think some folks were talking before about viral load - and that is in here too.

I've seen the seating chart at the restaurant.  IIRC this was from China.  And the theory was the indoor heating system and lack of ventilation may have helped to spread the virus.  If a heating system can do this, I don't see how an AC unit would be any different.  Maybe others here know more about that.

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR2c0flB4LApT2ySqMfyY7OdOUTUC0ntccdssVvbwVGFc9ngyhvH0fTIRLQ
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3236 on: May 08, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
Our County did a re-open but still has the expectation of social distancing and other precautions. So, I thought....maybe I'll run down to see about getting a hair cut. I pulled up and noticed it was VERY busy....put my gloves and mask on....got out and went to sign in. Every station had a person and hair dresser at it.....the people waiting were all outside the store....there were a couple guys checking out....a couple coming in to take their spots....etc etc. Bottom line is this place was packed.

Any guesses on how many people had a mask and/or gloves on? I'll make it easy. I was the only one in that salon with them on....including the folks outside. I noticed this all within 15-20 seconds so I just quickly turned around and left. I can deal with my hair getting long.

I would have thought that people would still be taking some precautions but I guess not?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3237 on: May 08, 2020, 04:58:08 PM »
This may be TMI for some

Not at all.  I found it very informative.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3238 on: May 08, 2020, 05:01:04 PM »
Our County did a re-open but still has the expectation of social distancing and other precautions. So, I thought....maybe I'll run down to see about getting a hair cut. I pulled up and noticed it was VERY busy....put my gloves and mask on....got out and went to sign in. Every station had a person and hair dresser at it.....the people waiting were all outside the store....there were a couple guys checking out....a couple coming in to take their spots....etc etc. Bottom line is this place was packed.

Any guesses on how many people had a mask and/or gloves on? I'll make it easy. I was the only one in that salon with them on....including the folks outside. I noticed this all within 15-20 seconds so I just quickly turned around and left. I can deal with my hair getting long.

I would have thought that people would still be taking some precautions but I guess not?

Having grown up not too far from where you live, it doesn’t surprise me at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3239 on: May 08, 2020, 08:44:40 PM »
This may be TMI for some

Agreed.  And alarming / concerning.  Why our governments think that we're ready to ease restrictions absolutely baffles me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3240 on: May 08, 2020, 08:54:22 PM »

The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covid19/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them?fbclid=IwAR2c0flB4LApT2ySqMfyY7OdOUTUC0ntccdssVvbwVGFc9ngyhvH0fTIRLQ

UMASS Dartmouth is in my backyard. We toured there last fall with my son. I went to high school just up the street, and I used to use their library for my research papers. Even took a summer course there while I was in college.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3241 on: May 08, 2020, 09:20:32 PM »
Oops posted in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:26:48 PM by Cool Chris »
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3242 on: May 09, 2020, 06:29:31 AM »
This may be TMI for some

Agreed.  And alarming / concerning.  Why our governments think that we're ready to ease restrictions absolutely baffles me.
We are not ready if you're looking at it from strictly a health perspective. If we were only concerned about health, we'd stay locked down until there wasn't a new case for at least a couple weeks. That would likely be many months more, which nobody wants.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #3243 on: May 09, 2020, 09:14:41 AM »

I was listening to NPR's planet money podcast and they interviewed a barber shop owner from Georgia.  With all the precautions he's taking he can only do like 2 haircuts an hour.  It's appointment only,  people wait in their cars outside until someone goes out to check them in, they ask the standard questions (and maybe even check their temperature, I forget) once inside the customers wash their hands and they even time the 20 seconds, they can't touch anything while they're inside etc.   He said It's the hardest he's ever worked... for way less income
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:26:45 AM by XeRocks81 »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3244 on: May 09, 2020, 10:10:49 AM »
With regard to reopening, I imagined tightly controlled stages.  No mass gatherings in public at first, everybody masked up, everybody keeping social distance.  Not a return to normal, but people at least out and about, hopefully most people making some money, even if it's not at previous levels.  Then as time goes on, we see how this goes, maybe there will be a medical breakthrough or two to help us, hopefully the hospitals have some time to work through the huge overloads they're currently facing.  Maybe we can then loosen up a little more, see how that goes, etc.  That kind of thing.

Instead, there are areas that basically think it's fine to go back to last pre-COVID ways.  That is, back to normal.  Places crowded, people in line, no masks or gloves.  Beaches and parks open.  A single asymptomatic person in there somewhere sneezes, and 100 people could go home infected.  Seriously, people?  Not even basic precautions?  I know some people are stupid, but I would not expect such massed stupidity.

Our governor's five-phase plan for reopening Illinois, with Phase 5 being full recovery, is almost exactly as I imagined it, which either means that I have a good imagination or we're actually doing this logically.  We get it.  The economy will collapse if we stay completely shut down for too long, so there has to be some compromise.  But it has to be smart.  Test the waters before diving in, at least.

Personally, I'm still staying home as much as possible, masks and gloves when I do go out, and that's not changing until the numbers are way, way down.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3245 on: May 09, 2020, 01:46:26 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3246 on: May 09, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »
^
I'll assume that is one big EFF sharp :D
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3247 on: May 09, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »

I was listening to NPR's planet money podcast and they interviewed a barber shop owner from Georgia.  With all the precautions he's taking he can only do like 2 haircuts an hour.  It's appointment only,  people wait in their cars outside until someone goes out to check them in, they ask the standard questions (and maybe even check their temperature, I forget) once inside the customers wash their hands and they even time the 20 seconds, they can't touch anything while they're inside etc.   He said It's the hardest he's ever worked... for way less income

That’s the way to do it. But this was a free for all. Like nothing ever happened or there was nothing to worry about.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3248 on: May 10, 2020, 06:16:48 AM »

This is my biggest issue with reopening right now.

I am 110% confident that there is a way we could safely reopen the majority of the economy. It would require a smidge of sacrifice, large scale testing, and some... do I dare say... oversight, but it's certainly possible. My issue is how willingly stupid and careless so many people in the general public are. I went golfing last Sunday and I was legit pissed when I got there. The pro-shop had a "4 people max" sign on the door, but there were 4 people behind the counter and 9 waiting to pay. Outside, they were allowing people to tailgate right outside the closed restaurant. Had to be 60 people there with lawn chairs and beers out like they were at a concert, and nobody was wearing a mask. I just don't get it. I mean, I guess I do to an extent. We have a president and vice president that are happily going on camera bare-faced while on their travels, setting a terrible precedent.

Opening the economy is entire doable, but I simply can't trust the American people to do it responsibly. There's no doubt in my mind that they're going to fuck it up. We're going to start lifting the shelter in place orders, and we're going to get a nice second wind of this come June or July. I hope I'm wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3249 on: May 10, 2020, 06:25:33 AM »
Yeah, over here many places are showing why we unfortunately need tight rules and regulations. I respect that people want complete freedom and choice and all, but there are simply too many people not giving a shit or not understanding the problem for that to work. Many people here cannot even keep 1,5 m distance from a stranger on the streets when there is plenty of room, because that would involve two more steps. Let alone all the other minor safety precautions.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3250 on: May 10, 2020, 07:39:20 AM »
Today is going to be a good indicator of how responsible people are, as I'm already hearing of many friends and aquaintances making plans for Mother's Day (beach, park, etc). I personally think it'll be a shit show, hoping to be proven wrong.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: May 10, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
Today is going to be a good indicator of how responsible people are, as I'm already hearing of many friends and aquaintances making plans for Mother's Day (beach, park, etc). I personally think it'll be a shit show, hoping to be proven wrong.

Just wait till Father's Day!

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3252 on: May 10, 2020, 12:07:12 PM »

Just wait till Father's Day!

You wont have to....Memorial Day is sooner.  2 Weeks.  With all the restrictions coming down, and that being a big "get together" holiday....I hate to think that we might look back and say Memorial Day Weekend was ground zero for coronavirus making its comeback, and shutting us down again.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3253 on: May 10, 2020, 01:50:03 PM »
My wife pointed out yesterday that my cheeks really look terrible.  I asked her what she meant by that.  She said they're all fuzzy.  Oh, I get it.  Because I haven't shaved in two months.  Maybe I'm just a horrible person, because I haven't bothered shaving because I don't go to work; no one will see me, so why bother?  She pointed out that she still has to deal with it, and I should want to look presentable for her.  Okay, I suck, because that never occurred to me.

Mother's Day 2020.  She's on a strict diet from her cardiologist, so no candy, cookies, or anything like that.  We have a cat, so she ruled out flowers long ago.  Wherever we put the vase, the cat will find it and knock it over.  If it can't do that, it eats them (perhaps in frustration) and then throws up the remains.  If I were smart, I'd have at least stopped and picked up a card the other night, but I didn't, because I am not smart.

So today I shaved.  My cheeks are all nice and smooth.  I made her feel them.  I did this for her.  She knows this.  She laughed.  It's the least I could, and also the only thing I could think of, so it's what I did.

Tonight for dinner, because we can't go out, we celebrate by letting her choose where we get take-out from.  Then my daughter and I go pick up and stuff it into a thermal bag for the trip home.  My daughter used to work for Domino's Pizza, and brought dinner home from there a few times, so we have a few of the bags still sitting around.  Life during COVID.

At band rehearsal one time, one of the guitarists Dan was having trouble with some chord, I don't remember which.  Our other guitarist Dusty was trying to help him.  "Okay, it's just like a <some> chord, only on this fret, good, now raise your middle finger..." and Dan just looks at him and says "Yeah, I'll raise my middle finger all right."  We all laugh.  This is the church praise band, limited talent but pretty good sense of humor.  Later, we ran into another chord that Dan didn't know, so Dusty says (something like) "Look, an F# minor 7 is just like a D major 7 except you..." and Dan says "Look, I think I'll just raise my middle finger to this one, too, okay?"

Speaking of guitarists, good news on the recovery front for David from my regular band.  He's off the ventilator during the day, though he still needs some help at night.  But because he doesn't have tube down his throat, they've had actual conversations with him.  He's lucid, and while it's still unknown how much permanent effect the stroke will have, he was talking, joking, and using both hands.  Last we knew, he had no movement on his left side, so this is big.  His wife Nancy is being weaned from the ventilator and they're looking forward to scheduling her physical therapy.  So both of them are on the road to recovery.  I was sharing this with my sister yesterday on our weekly "Family Zoom" meeting, and she mentioned a couple she knows, friends of friends actually, and they both died, two days apart.  Holy shit.  Losing a friend or loved one, especially a parent, would be hard.  Losing both parents?  Fuck.  Man, fuck COVID-19.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: May 10, 2020, 01:51:23 PM »
Some of us in the neighborhood with kids have begun to congregate a little bit more and more. There is one family we are friends with and we mutually decided early on to let our kids play together. Their parents are working from home, my wife is working from home, and I am furloughed, and we are all limiting our exposure to grocery stores/take-out/essential trips. It's not perfect, but we decided there was value in our kids having the interaction and physical activity.

Now that the weather is nicer there are more families getting out for walks with their kids, or just letting them play or ride their bikes in the cul de sac. We've been hesitant to let the kids play with anyone else, but let our youngest play with one kid after talking to her parents about what steps they are taking to keep their family safe. Again, not perfect, but Stadler would say we are using our own calculus to determine what is best for us.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'