Author Topic: Ozzy Osbourne solo career appreciation thread  (Read 4550 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Ozzy Osbourne solo career appreciation thread
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:36:56 PM »
Because of his despicable wife and his general craziness, it is easy to forget that he had some great solo stuff back in the day, but he really did.  Diary of a Madman, No More Tears and Blizzard of Ozz are all legit great records, and I like a lot of stuff on Ozzmosis and Bark at the Moon as well.

I cranked up I Don't Want to Change the World just a bit ago on a short drive home and it was  :metal :metal all the way.

Appreciate.  :coolio

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Ozzy Osbourne solo career appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:54:31 PM »
So two things:

I've mentioned the first before, but when I was in the 7th grade (1980-81), my father brought home the cassette of Blizzard Of Ozz. Not because he was into it, far from it. But my father was a high school teacher and one of his students brought it in for him to listen to.
My last name is Crowley, so my father was um..Mr. Crowley. My father let me listen. Let's just say that I loved it and he did not! :lol

Second, the only time I saw Ozzy was on January 20, 1996, which just happened to me the day that I introduced myself to the future Lovely Mrs. TAC.

I did have tix to see Ozzy (w/ Metallica) in Providence in April of '86, but the show was postponed and I ended up not going to the make up date.

And yes, Kev, Ozzmosis  is awesome!!

Oh, and I've been serenaded to Mr. Crowley my entire life! :lol

Nowadays, it's trickled to like once every month or so, but it had literally been a lifelong happening. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:07:25 PM »
I always thought Tomorrow and Thunder Underground were two underrated rockers from Ozzmosis.  I think that is easily his 4th best solo album (behind the first two and No More Tears).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 10:03:53 PM »
I've mentioned the first before, but when I was in the 7th grade (1980-81), my father brought home the cassette of Blizzard Of Ozz. Not because he was into it, far from it. But my father was a high school teacher and one of his students brought it in for him to listen to.
My last name is Crowley, so my father was um..Mr. Crowley. My father let me listen. Let's just say that I loved it and he did not! :lol
I guess I've missed it when you mentioned it in the past. Far out. How'd your old man take to being compared to Alister Crowley? In some ways it'd be really kick ass and in others kind of offensive.  :lol

As I've mentioned in the past, Blizzard was one of the formative albums for me, along with Back in Black and Women and Children First. Those albums are one of the main components of me being who I am today.

As for Ozzy's solo stuff, Diary of a Madman is a God damned masterpiece. I've always thought that it was the opposite of Blizzard, and to my ears the better of the two. Blizzard was all about Randy Rhodes. Good tunes and awesome melodies. Diary was Lee Kerslake and Bod Daisley set loose to wreck havoc on the world and damned if they didn't bring the goods. SATO and Diary make up one of the finest album closers you'll ever hear, with all of them truly at the top of their game.

In the end, Ozzy is much like Dio in that the music is only as interesting as the people who write it, and none of his bands had the chemistry to crank out music like that. Bark at the Moon had some good tunes on it, but it just wasn't the same. I paid a little attention to him somewhat, but was never a big fan going forward. I haven't gotten into the albums and aside from Ozmosis I haven't seen him outside of Sabbath in pert near 30 years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
I always thought Tomorrow and Thunder Underground were two underrated rockers from Ozzmosis.  I think that is easily his 4th best solo album (behind the first two and No More Tears).

I've always disliked Thunder Underground along with Denial, but the rest is gold. I agree on it being top 4, although those 4 are all good I'd struggle to put them in order. The two bonus tracks from Ozzmosis are really good too.

Even though I knew and loved Sabbath first, I actually prefer Ozzy's solo era, and would rank it as one of my top bands. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 12:07:53 AM »
Also a big fan of his solo material and Ozzmosis as well.  I can't say that anything since Ozzmosis has really done much for me. 

Perry Mason  :metal

I know Ozzy has bad memories about the Ultimate Sin album and recordings, so that's why its been a forgotten album when it comes to remasters.  But I love that album and would like to see it get a proper re-release like the others did it the last few years.

Would be a toss up between Ultimate Sin and Diary as my favorite from Ozzy.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 12:15:45 AM »
My first of his solo albums was The Ultimate Sin, so I have a soft spot for it. But for me it's Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary Of A Madman that's his best ones, for sure. Bark At The Moon is a classic too (Waiting For Darkness!).

My favourite of all his solo songs is Steal Away The Night.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 02:29:05 AM »
Van Halen and Ozzy solo would be neck and neck for my most played bands of all time.   Everything from Blizzard to Ozzmosis is gold. I not only played them for simple listening but spent many an hour transcribing/playing songs too.    Jake and Randy (and Zakk to a lesser extent) are guitar legends for me.

Like Zydar The Ultimate Sin was my first..........and my first real metal record actually. The trigger was seeing the video for Lightning Strikes - Jake was so cool (even if Ozzy looked like a souped up drag queen) and that started me on a journey beyond just KISS and Van Halen.  And then I worked my way back to Randy era in quick time.  Say what you like about Ozzy but he sure knew how to find a guitarist - and I think his singing (live and studio) is under rated.

My favourite of all his solo songs is Steal Away The Night.

Great song but like most of the Blizzard material I think it's at another level on Randy Rhoads Tribute - those songs have a whole new energy in a live setting.

Tribute and Ultimate Sin tied for 3rd in my DTF Top50 -only behind Van Halen s/t and Images and Words-   but any of those first 6 or 7 albums could've made it .    To this day I have never really bothered to sit down and listen to all the Ozzy era Sabbs albums.  Been meaning to for years/decades ......... :-\
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:44:47 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 06:40:05 AM »

As for Ozzy's solo stuff, Diary of a Madman is a God damned masterpiece. I've always thought that it was the opposite of Blizzard, and to my ears the better of the two. Blizzard was all about Randy Rhodes. Good tunes and awesome melodies. Diary was Lee Kerslake and Bod Daisley set loose to wreck havoc on the world and damned if they didn't bring the goods. SATO and Diary make up one of the finest album closers you'll ever hear, with all of them truly at the top of their game.

I thought it was Robert Trujillo and Mike Bordin who brought the goods on Blizzard and Diary of a Madman!   :biggrin:   That's what Sharon says, anyway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »
Blizzard was one of my first real hard rock albums (my second, after Van Halen I), and it really helped shape my musical interests.  Fantastically good album.  I am with Kev in holding that, Diary, and No More Tears as Ozzy's best, and among the best hard rock records ever written.  Because of when I got into hard rock, I missed the Ozzy Sabbath years, but I got to revisit them with Speak of the Devil, which I played endlessly as I rode my neighborhood streets on my paper route.  I am surprised that cassette even survived as much as I played it on many a knockoff Walkman over the years.  I would put Bark at the Moon as my #4, and solidly in the 4 spot at that.  I loved that album.  Sadly, the drama that is the Osbourne family completely soured me on the music, and I completely lost interest.  Ozzy just seems like such a joke.  Despite some great tunes, I just can't be bothered to listen. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »
Speak of the Devil was the extent of my Ozzy Sabbath knowledge as a kid.   I still remember the look on my dad's face when I was buying The Ultimate Sin (probably adventurous enough for a 12 year old) and he saw what was behind it in the cassette rack

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 08:58:38 AM »
TBH, never really cared for Ozzy all that much, solo or with Black Sabbath.

But I always thought that No More Tears was one hell of an album.  *shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 09:13:35 AM »
I rank NMT 4th after Bark At The Moon which I love. But I just don't care for The Ultimate Sin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 09:45:39 AM »
Big Ozzy fan.   

Blizzard was the first, but Diary took it to a WHOLE new level.  "Tonight, Tonight" is my favorite Ozzy song, and the fade on that song - just when Randy kicks into high gear - is a crime against humanity, if you ask me.   To hear what got faded (and it was mooted for a Diary deluxe version, but taken off at the last minute) is in my top five "Holy Grail" things.

Diary of a Madman (1981)
No More Tears (1991)
Blizzard of Ozz (1980)
Bark at the Moon (1983)
No Rest for the Wicked (1988)
The Ultimate Sin (1986)
Ozzmosis (1995)
Down to Earth (2001)
Under Cover (2005)
Black Rain (2007)
Scream (2010)

Love the album "Bark at the Moon", though I hate that song with a passion.  Love Ultimate Sin, but hate Shot in the Dark.  Big fan of No Rest, though I hate Crazy Babies.  Haha.   

His last two do little if anything for me.   

Favorite songs:

- Tonight
- Fire In The Sky
- Flying High Again
- Steal away
- You Can't Kill Rock and Roll
- One Up The B-Side
- Fool Like You
- Time After Time
- Road To Nowhere
- Revelation (Mother Earth)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
If I did a Top 10 Song list it would be this:

1. Diary Of A Madman
2. Waiting For Darkness
3. Mr. Crowley
4. Over The Mountain
5. See You On The Other Side
6. Road To Nowhere
7. Revelation (Mother Earth)
8. Mama I'm Coming Home
9. Shot In The Dark
10. My Little Man

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 10:12:07 AM »
I actually like Ozzy's solo stuff more than anything that Black Sabbath has ever done.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 10:31:16 AM »
My Top 10 (in no particular order):
 - Steal Away (The Night)
 - Believer
 - Flying High Again
 - Over The Mountain
 - Centre Of Eternity
 - Waiting For Darkness
 - Miracle Man
 - Hero
 - Mama, I'm Coming Home
 - Road To Nowhere

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 10:46:40 AM »
Rudy Sarzo's Off The Rails is a great read about those early tours.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 09:24:45 AM »
Poor No Rest For The Wicked never gets any love. I'd say it's probably my favorite ozzy album. Crazy Babies is kind of meh and Devil's Daughter is just ok, but the rest of the album is perfect. Fire in the Sky, Bloodbath in Paradise, Demon Alcohol, and Hero are all top Ozzy tracks for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 09:32:24 AM »
Poor No Rest For The Wicked never gets any love. I'd say it's probably my favorite ozzy album. Crazy Babies is kind of meh and Devil's Daughter is just ok, but the rest of the album is perfect. Fire in the Sky, Bloodbath in Paradise, Demon Alcohol, and Hero are all top Ozzy tracks for me.

I was devastated when I got this record home on release day and Jake was gone...."who's the pinch harmonic guy?" - that harmed my sentiment towards the album for a long time.  Over time though I grew to love it , especially the "hidden track" Hero and Breaking All The Rules.    Like a few here I never liked Crazy Babies much but aside from that it's a strong album .

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 12:37:29 PM »
Over time though I grew to love it , especially the "hidden track" Hero and Breaking All The Rules.    Like a few here I never liked Crazy Babies much but aside from that it's a strong album .
"Hero" is probably Top 5 for me.  Perhaps people were not happy about having 3 different guitarists in a 4 album span.  I remember getting this on cassette when it came out and loving it... except for "Crazy Babies".  Other than that, it's a pretty darn good album. 

"Tattooed Dancer... Dance for me, bitch!"  Classic!

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
Love pretty much all of Ozzy's work musically; Sabbath and Solo.

Solo I'd rank them something like this...

Diary of a Madman=Tribute
Blizzard of Ozz
Bark at the Moon=The Ultimate Sin
No More Tears
No Rest for the Wicked
Ozzmosis=Down to Earth=Scream
Black Rain

I agree with bl5150 about Tribute... I rank it up with Diary at the top all those songs seem even more electric on that album. I also agree with Stadler about the fade out on "Tonight, Tonight"  :metal

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
My Top 10 (in no particular order):
 - Steal Away (The Night)
 - Believer
 - Flying High Again
 - Over The Mountain
 - Centre Of Eternity
 - Waiting For Darkness
 - Miracle Man
 - Hero
 - Mama, I'm Coming Home
 - Road To Nowhere

Holy crap.  I played Steal Away in a cover band in my 20's. Such a fun tune to play live.

My favorite album cut from Ozzy is Fire In The Sky.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2016, 03:31:37 PM »
Ultimate Sin is my fav Ozzy album, I love it.  I never could quite understand why Ozzy always wrote it off, it's fabulous. Everything he's done was actually really solid up until the last few, which have been shift.  I think Down to Earth was the last decent one IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »
The story I have about The Ultimate Sin tour in Worcester,  Ma.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »
Yeah, definitely agree on the Tonight Tonight solo fade. I remember listening to the solo and continuously turning it up every couple seconds until the volume was maxed, and then quickly turning it down at the end so I didn't go deaf when SATO kicked in. You Can't Kill Rock n Roll has that ridiculously long fade out too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
I can't remember if it has been mentioned yet in thread, and if it has, I am sure the person who did will quote it :lol, but two words:

ZOMBIE STOMP

:metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »
I can't remember if it has been mentioned yet in thread, and if it has, I am sure the person who did will quote it :lol, but two words:

ZOMBIE STOMP

:metal :metal

:2metal:

The only track on No More Tears that I ever skipped with any regularity was Hellraiser...................got a bit sick of that. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
Love his first 4 albums. The Ultimate Sin is my favorite. Sooooo underrated.

Diary of a Madman is one of the greatest metal songs of all time.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »
I at least like all of his solo albums. Diary of a madman is my personal favorite but Ozzmosis is very underrated with Tomorrow being one of my favorite Ozzy tracks.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 10:19:10 PM »
Usually I am a lone voice in support of The Ultimate Sin (and Kade if he's about) -  good to see some others digging it.    Jake was the king  :hefdaddy

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 10:29:23 PM »
Usually I am a lone voice in support of The Ultimate Sin (and Kade if he's about) -  good to see some others digging it.    Jake was the king  :hefdaddy

I recall a lot of people here liking it. I used to think it was ok, but it's grown on me more over time, and now it's one of my most listened to Ozzy albums. The only songs I don't love are Thank God For The Bomb (although it has a rockin' riff) and Fool Like You. There's nothing like cranking up the volume and putting on TUS and just hearing that big DUN DUN DUN DUNDUNDUN on the drums, then that heavy riff. :metal

Ultimate Sin is my fav Ozzy album, I love it.  I never could quite understand why Ozzy always wrote it off, it's fabulous. Everything he's done was actually really solid up until the last few, which have been shift.  I think Down to Earth was the last decent one IMO.

Down to Earth is a solid album, and very underrated. His albums since then have been his weakest though, along with No Rest For the Wicked. Black Rain still has a couple of tracks I dig, but Scream has no redeeming qualities for me. It's just slop.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2016, 11:55:42 PM »
Yeah I should give Down to Earth another spin when I have time, I do remember liking it a lot when it came out.

I loved Ozzmosis too.

I don't think there is anything weak on TUS at all, it fantastic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 12:38:35 AM »
I don't remember much about the Scream album, but I recall really digging Life Won't Wait.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 05:29:01 AM »

I had to look up his name again to remind myself who that guitarist was on those two albums. :lol

He did a fine job, but, for me, his playing just didn't touch that of Rhoads or Wylde.