Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 166142 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #700 on: September 15, 2012, 06:56:12 AM »
On the other hand, he might feel no need to watch the fourth season and thus spare himself!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #701 on: September 17, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
:lol  Don't worry.  I didn't spoil it.  But I did watch through Resurrection 1 and 2.  So, yup--It was a resurrection ship.  I thought it might be.  I wonder how many more of those are floating around out there.  If that was the only one, what a MAJOR turning point in the war.  There were a lot of really cool things in this story arc.  It was satisfying that Cain got what she deserved, but that both she and Adama redeemed themselves by calling of their hits at the last second.  It's also nice that Roslyn promoted Adama.  I like Cain's former XO, and the new commander of the Pegasus.  Seems like a VERY likeable character.

Things I didn't like:

Lee really needs to figure himself out.  Yeah, he's a complex character, and he has been through a lot that completely justifies his emotional reactions.  But he still just nees to square himself away and get a handle on things.

Unless there is some sort of explanation later, there are HUGE writing errors surrounding the attack on the Cylon fleet.  First off, the Galactica had never been able to go toe-to-toe with another base star for anything more than a minute or two just to buy time for the fleet to escape.  It was completely outclassed in terms of weapons, as has been said multiple times.  But suddenly, all that is brushed aside just because we now have another battlestar alongside.  Two battlestars against two base stars+...  If the Colonials were going to win that fight, there needed to be more explanation for how.  Second, the reason the entire Colonial military fleet was wiped out was because the Cylons could get inside the computer networks of the newer battlestars, vipers, and other ships.  They should have been about to take out the Pegasus and its vipers in short order.  If the Pegasus and its attack fighters figured out a workaround, that needed to be explained.  Third, raiders.  There should have been a ton of them.  Given that they were protecting a resurrection ship, I would expect even more than the usual that two base stars could carry.  If we assume the large attack force that Sharon disabled back when the Pegasus first showed up was from this fleet (which I think Cain said, although it wasn't entirely clear), I can understand that.  But, again, if they were part of a Cylon fleet that included the resurrection ship, there should have been a lot more.  For that matter, there should have been more than two base stars assigned to protect it as well.  And at the very least, the Cylons should have called for backup back when that huge group of raiders was wiped out.  The battle was just too easy, and while there could be good explanations for why things played out as they did, those explanations were not offered.  I have come to expect better writing from this show, and they didn't deliver that here.  This is one of the reasons that, while this is a very good show and is largely well-written and intensely interesting, I doubt it will surpass The Sarah Connor Chronicles as my favorite sci-fi series.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #702 on: September 17, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
The Pegasus has also had time to combat the computer issues, though.  I can't remember details, but wasn't it basically explained that the issue was something they could remedy?  Remember the initial attack was extremely coordinated, too, it wasn't just cylons showing up and eliminating the computer systems, it took years of setup and planting code.

Spoilers, though I think this has been explained in the series already(maybe it was Razor, though), bosk1: The Pegasus was docked when the Cylons attacked, and either the infected code had not been installed yet or it was offline, allowing the Pegasus to make an emergency escape. Hence, the conscripted crew and functioning ship.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:42:02 AM by yorost »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #703 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
It's also worth noting that the Galactica is OLD. First Cylon War, getting ready to retire kind of old, whereas the Pegasus was newer, better armed, and more capable. It's like a World War II era battleship suddenly getting back up from an ultramodern ship. Throw in a decent amount of surprise and it becomes a fair fight.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #704 on: September 17, 2012, 09:48:12 AM »
Lee really needs to figure himself out.  Yeah, he's a complex character, and he has been through a lot that completely justifies his emotional reactions.  But he still just nees to square himself away and get a handle on things.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Unless there is some sort of explanation later, there are HUGE writing errors surrounding the attack on the Cylon fleet.  First off, the Galactica had never been able to go toe-to-toe with another base star for anything more than a minute or two just to buy time for the fleet to escape.  It was completely outclassed in terms of weapons, as has been said multiple times.  But suddenly, all that is brushed aside just because we now have another battlestar alongside.  Two battlestars against two base stars+...  If the Colonials were going to win that fight, there needed to be more explanation for how.

The Pegasus basically carried the battle because it's newer and way more powerful than the Galactica.  When Lee's looking at the battle, you can see that the Pegasus is taking almost all the fire from both Basestars.  Galactica's taking some damage from one of them, but is shielded from the other one because Pegasus is in the way.

Second, the reason the entire Colonial military fleet was wiped out was because the Cylons could get inside the computer networks of the newer battlestars, vipers, and other ships.  They should have been about to take out the Pegasus and its vipers in short order.  If the Pegasus and its attack fighters figured out a workaround, that needed to be explained.

It's explained.  It's not much of a spoiler if you want to know.

Third, raiders.  There should have been a ton of them.  Given that they were protecting a resurrection ship, I would expect even more than the usual that two base stars could carry.  If we assume the large attack force that Sharon disabled back when the Pegasus first showed up was from this fleet (which I think Cain said, although it wasn't entirely clear), I can understand that.  But, again, if they were part of a Cylon fleet that included the resurrection ship, there should have been a lot more.

They talk about how they use the decoy convoy to draw the Raiders off.  But then why wouldn't the Raiders jump back to the attack?  You see a few around the Resurrection Ship, but not as many as you'd think.  Somewhat suspect.

For that matter, there should have been more than two base stars assigned to protect it as well.

Agreed.

My one unofficial BSG theory is that there simply aren't very many Basestars.  Aside from the fact you never see that many, it would help the entire show make a lot more sense.

And at the very least, the Cylons should have called for backup back when that huge group of raiders was wiped out.

Can't argue.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #705 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »
Third, raiders.  There should have been a ton of them.  Given that they were protecting a resurrection ship, I would expect even more than the usual that two base stars could carry.  If we assume the large attack force that Sharon disabled back when the Pegasus first showed up was from this fleet (which I think Cain said, although it wasn't entirely clear), I can understand that.  But, again, if they were part of a Cylon fleet that included the resurrection ship, there should have been a lot more.

They talk about how they use the decoy convoy to draw the Raiders off.  But then why wouldn't the Raiders jump back to the attack?  You see a few around the Resurrection Ship, but not as many as you'd think.  Somewhat suspect.

And at the very least, the Cylons should have called for backup back when that huge group of raiders was wiped out.

Can't argue.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but faster-than-light communication is either non-existent or at least poses a problem in BSG.  Once raiders jump away they cannot be told to come back without something going to fetch them.

For that matter, there should have been more than two base stars assigned to protect it as well.

Agreed.

My one unofficial BSG theory is that there simply aren't very many Basestars.  Aside from the fact you never see that many, it would help the entire show make a lot more sense.
Always my impression that captiol ships are rare in BSG.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #706 on: September 17, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
However the got around the issue, it just needed to be explained.  And maybe they do get into it more in Razor.  But remember, in terms of the release chronology, Razor doesn't exist yet at the time of Pegasus, Res. 1, and Res. 2.  Chronologically, it does.  But in terms of what the viewership (including me, since I am watching in release order) would have seen and had access to, it doesn't.  So, again, I'm watching it thinking, "Okay, it's been drilled into my head that (1) base star >>> battle star; (2) Cylon computer virus >>> any Colonial military vessel other than the Galactica because (a) its computer systems are not networked and (b) they are ancient; and (3) LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of raiders, probably a lot of which have nukes.  But...now that Pegasus has arrived on scene, I'm supposed to forget all that and just believe they can take on and summarily whoop up on a Cylon fleet containing, among other things, two base stars.  Okay..."  It just seems like shoddy writing full of either continuity errors or missed opportunities to educate the audience as to why things played out differently in this battle.

Oh, and one other thing that kinda bugged me that I forgot to mention above:  I'm making an assumption here that either this is the ONLY resurrection ship, or at least, there aren't very many of them.  To assume otherwise wouldn't seem to make sense given how both version of No. 6 were acting given the news of this one being destroyed.  So with that assumption comes the assumption that bodies for MOST if not ALL 12 Cylon models should be aboard.  Given that, it seems like a strage and dumb coincidence that the only model Starbuck managed to get photos of during her recon mission was No. 6.  Then again, maybe that's the point.  I dunno.  Maybe I'm off base here and there are actually a LOT of resurrection ships.  Maybe each one only carries one model number, and the entire reason the two No. 6's were so upset was simply because this was the No. 6 resurrection ship.  I guess that would make sense.  In which case, I guess this latest rant is pointless.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

EDIT:  Thanks, Reap.  Don't give the spoilers away, even if they are small.  I'm just posting these rants because it is fun for me, and I am assuming it is fun for others who have seen the entire series to read them as well.  But if things are later explained, I'll just wait for it.

Some explanations may also have been set up in the Pegasus extended episode, which I haven't watched yet.  The cut episode is at the end of the last S2 disk.  I watched that, not realizing that the extended eposide is at the beginning of the first S2.5 disk.  I wasn't in the mood to rewatch the same episode all over again with the extra scenes, since they had built up to so many unresolved conflicts in Res1 and Res2.  So I had to go forward and watch those first.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #707 on: September 17, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
I thought strong hints at the explanation for Pegasus were given almost immediately upon it's arrival in the show.  At the very least they made it clear there were unusual circumstances involved.  A one-shot comic they released at the time went into great detail about the origins of the Pegasus, but it was just fleshing out a full story to go along with what the show indicated happened.

The resurrection ship is not the only means of resurrection, think of it as needing to have a 3G signal to use data on your phone.  Remember Leoban being ejected into space?  He didn't know if he would survive because he didn't know if he was in range.  As for other models, you'll see.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #708 on: September 21, 2012, 02:34:00 PM »
It's Friday.  And that means BSG tonight!  :woot:

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #709 on: September 21, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »
:sosayweall:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #710 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
Welp, wife went out of town to visit her dad, and I didn't want to get too far ahead without her, so my BSG viewing was less than what I expected.  :(  Went back and watched the extended version of Pegasus.  The extra scenes were good, but didn't add a whole lot beyond the extended opening scene with Starbuck lobbying hard to go back to Caprica. 

Watched the next episode, Epiphanies, as well.  Baltar is such a tool.  Can't believe he gave a nuclear warhead to a Cylon.  Idiot.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #711 on: September 24, 2012, 09:29:45 AM »
Are you prejudiced against Cylons or something?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #712 on: September 24, 2012, 10:16:08 AM »
Yes.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #713 on: September 24, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »
Shame.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #714 on: September 24, 2012, 10:29:03 AM »
Toaster lover.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #715 on: September 24, 2012, 10:37:37 AM »
[spoilers]
spoilers
[/spoilers]

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #716 on: September 24, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »
 :omg:

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #717 on: September 24, 2012, 10:39:24 AM »
Some of them are hot.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: September 24, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »
  :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #719 on: September 24, 2012, 11:18:13 AM »
Toaster lover.

"So tell me what you're offering again?"

"Well, virtually all of humanity is going to die.  And what remains will be chased around the galaxy by a group of murderous robots.  Every day of your existence will be spent not only fearing your own death, but fearing that your betrayal of the human race will be discovered.  You will have relative luxury in your life, but nothing compared to what you have now.  You'll soon truly find out what you're willing to eat when your survival is on the line.  At certain moments, you'll see things that make you wonder if living through the experience was worth the scars in your memory.  You might not ever have a day of peace again."

"But....."

"This woman will be all over you with you every day:

She'll give you more sex than you can handle, smart advice, constant ego stroking, and the occasional frightening but sexy (because it's a bit frightening) moment of being domineering."

"...

So you're saying not every human is going to be killed..."
Over and over again

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #720 on: September 24, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #721 on: September 24, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
If Cylon blood really did cure cancer, I might be in favor of making a couple of them.  So I guess that means Roslyn isn't going to die.  Part of me is glad, because she is easily one of my favorite characters.  However, part of me isn't sure, because part of what makes me like her character is how she handled her own struggle to face her mortality. 

Once she recovers a bit more, I am curious as to whether she will remember the parts of her flashbacks where she saw Baltar and No. 6 together.  If so, I'm VERY curious to see what comes of it.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #722 on: September 24, 2012, 01:43:13 PM »
 :-X

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #723 on: September 24, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »
Yeah, I know.  :lol

And in response to Reap's post, for the record, I don't really find her attractive.  There's just something about her that seems a bit...offputting.  Although her "librarian" look (when her hair is straightened and pulled back in a pony tail) ain't bad.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #724 on: September 24, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »
I'm all for loving those toasters.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #725 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #726 on: October 08, 2012, 09:52:33 AM »
My Galactica viewing has tailed off a bit lately, but I'm back now.  Had to rewatch Epiphanies with the wife since she hadn't seen it.  Watched the next two as well:  Black Market and Scar.  It's kind of nice to be able to step back from huge, fleet-threatening crises for a change and deal with seemingly more "mundane," everyday issues.  :lol  Interesting developments, to say the least.  Baltar is such a freakin' tool.  I really wish somebody would catch on to what a danger he is.

I'm also starting to forumulate my own pet theory about the season finale.  If there ends up being any kind of truth to it whatsoever, I will revisit this post.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #727 on: October 08, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
What did you think of Black Market?
Over and over again

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #728 on: October 08, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »
I'm also starting to forumulate my own pet theory about the season finale.  If there ends up being any kind of truth to it whatsoever, I will revisit this post.
Aw, spill it already, we want to be amused!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: October 08, 2012, 12:03:14 PM »
My Galactica viewing has tailed off a bit lately, but I'm back now.  Had to rewatch Epiphanies with the wife since she hadn't seen it.  Watched the next two as well:  Black Market and Scar.  It's kind of nice to be able to step back from huge, fleet-threatening crises for a change and deal with seemingly more "mundane," everyday issues.  :lol  Interesting developments, to say the least.  Baltar is such a freakin' tool.  I really wish somebody would catch on to what a danger he is.

Yup. At one point, the producers had to decide whether Battlestar was going to be a consistent story that could be wrapped up in a few seasons or something that could theoretically keep going for a long time. Those "step back" episodes were meant to attract new viewers by targeting people flipping through the channels who might give the series a try despite not knowing much of the back story. Since the series ended when it did, they look sort-of like filler now. But I'm happy they're there, as those stand-alone episodes were some of my favorites and some of the best in terms character-development.

Except the ones when the characters are completely out of character... but I'll hold that thought!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #730 on: October 08, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
What did you think of Black Market?

Seemed a bit half-baked in terms of setting up a lot of the character motivations for what happened.  But, overall, despite some execution flaws, I liked it and thought it was some intereseting social commentary.  And despite some of the underdevelopment, it overall did advance the ball somewhat in terms of both Lee's and Zarek's character development.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #731 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
Oh, and...

1.  Fisk getting killed:  :dammitall!:  I thought he was going to be a really great character.  >:(
2.  Scar:  Was the Raider that Starbuck previously killed and used a prior iteration of him?  Some of the things Boomer said led me to believe it may be likely, and suggested (1) that Scar understandably had a personal vendetta against Starbuck, (2) that Scar and Starbuck share some sort of "spiritual" bond now, or (3) some combination of both.  I'm wondering whether this might be conformed or denied, and more fully explored later.  It would be interesting to say the least.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #732 on: October 08, 2012, 02:55:12 PM »
1. Agreed.

2.  Yes, it's hinted that Scar was repeatedly resurrected and gained a vendetta against Starbuck earlier in the series.  Obviously the point of the hints is to give character, though, so we can safely assume that much is true and doesn't require further confirmation.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #733 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:43 PM »
Black Market is, IMO, the worst episode of the series.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #734 on: October 08, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »
Crap.  I just found out they actually pulled the original version of that episode and replaced it with a "special edition" where Phelan shoots first.