Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488997 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2835 on: January 04, 2017, 08:32:25 PM »
Playing Pony Island. What. The. Hell. This shit's fucked up. And it's not about ponies at all  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: January 04, 2017, 09:27:10 PM »
This has been the shittiest generation-to-generation transition in my life.
Super Nintendo to PS -- "Wow! look at what it can do!"
PS to PS2 -- "Wow! look at what it can do!"
PS2 to PS3 -- "Wow! look at what it can do!"
PS3 to PS4 -- "Wow! look at the amount of bull shit I have to tolerate!"
Latest pile of bull shit; the game I'm currently playing actually threatens me of losing my game progress/saves if I try to delete the update file, the 11gb it downloaded when I installed the game so I can use online features, which I don't need in the first place. I didn't even know I could delete it and still don't know how. They just seem hellbent on having me lose disk space.
But with the negativity out of the way, I've been playing Shadow of Mordor and it's freakin amazing.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2837 on: January 05, 2017, 01:04:54 AM »
Playing Pony Island. What. The. Hell. This shit's fucked up. And it's not about ponies at all  :lol
boring runner game 0/10
it was alright though tbh it didn't get weird enough for me

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2838 on: January 05, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »
*snip*

PS3 to PS4 -- "Holy fuuuuuuck. Virtual Reality is so dope and Red Dead Redemption comes out in 9-11 months!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2839 on: January 05, 2017, 07:16:36 AM »
*snip*

PS3 to PS4 -- "Holy fuuuuuuck. Virtual Reality is so dope and Red Dead Redemption comes out in 9-11 months!"

I highly doubt anyone was thinking these things when the PS4 came out, given that both of these things happened 3 whole years into the PS4's life cycle. And a game that still hasn't come out yet doesn't count. :lol
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:22:53 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2840 on: January 05, 2017, 07:25:24 AM »
*snip*

I highly doubt anyone was thinking these things when the PS4 came out, given that both of these things happened 3 whole years into the PS4's life cycle. And a game that still hasn't come out yet doesn't count. :lol

PS3 to PS4 Pro -- "Holy fuuuuuuck. Virtual Reality is so dope."

Better?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2841 on: January 05, 2017, 07:28:39 AM »
*snip*

PS3 to PS4 Pro -- "Holy fuuuuuuck. Virtual Reality is so dope."

Better?

Yes, but it's still cheating to skip the base console. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2842 on: January 05, 2017, 07:49:44 AM »
Yea, I agree the ps3 to ps4 and xbox260 to xbox1 leaps were very minor overall.  It was so little they needed to make new consoles to actually achieve what Chino was pointing out.

And this is just another reason why I probably never buy a console, just keep updating the PC.  My next update for my PC is a 4k monitor followed by a new motherboard/cpu next year I am thinking.  Turns out my current set up, Intel Core I7 2600k CPU is actually bottlenecking my GTX 1080, granted not by anything noticeable, but it's finally showing that my CPU is getting old (about 5 to 6 years old now).

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2843 on: January 05, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »
Yea, I agree the ps3 to ps4 and xbox260 to xbox1 leaps were very minor overall. 
I dunno, the graphics leap from PS3 to PS4 is pretty huge, IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2844 on: January 05, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »

While there is a nice jump in graphics, it seems that was it.  We didn't really get anything innovative or new (well we are now with 4k gaming and VR).  I don't personally feel the jump in graphics was as good as previous generation jumps either.  But I also looked at my xbox1 on day 1 and wasn't as impressed mostly because I had been using my PC with better graphics before the xbox1 was even released.  Maybe that had an effect on my feel.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2845 on: January 05, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »

While there is a nice jump in graphics, it seems that was it.  We didn't really get anything innovative or new (well we are now with 4k gaming and VR).  I don't personally feel the jump in graphics was as good as previous generation jumps either.  But I also looked at my xbox1 on day 1 and wasn't as impressed mostly because I had been using my PC with better graphics before the xbox1 was even released.  Maybe that had an effect on my feel.

The noticeable difference in graphics between console generations will appear less and less as time goes on. The fidelity becomes less noticeable as graphics improve. You reach a point where your eyes can't really tell the difference between 200K polygons or a million. The real advancements from here on out will be in games' scopes and online infrastructure, which I think was definitely evident between PS3 and PS4. I can't wait for the day when we can have online wars with hundreds of people on each side.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2846 on: January 05, 2017, 01:35:52 PM »
The worst part is that games sacrifice style for graphical fidelity so a lot of them look really generic and bland

I'll take a cartoony stylized game over a boring but really HD game any day of the week

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2847 on: January 05, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »
I bought a PS4 specifically for FFXV. The graphics in that game are stunning (I mean, look at that food).

One day though, one day.....Free good download speeds for all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: January 05, 2017, 02:33:54 PM »

The noticeable difference in graphics between console generations will appear less and less as time goes on. The fidelity becomes less noticeable as graphics improve. You reach a point where your eyes can't really tell the difference between 200K polygons or a million. The real advancements from here on out will be in games' scopes and online infrastructure, which I think was definitely evident between PS3 and PS4. I can't wait for the day when we can have online wars with hundreds of people on each side.

100s vs 100s sounds fun, but I think in practice it hasn't worked out well.  I recall reading awhile ago that Battlefield 4 could support 64 vs. 64 but in trial, it was a train wreck, just too much happening for it to be fun so they never made that gameplay available.  Granted, just one game, but it would be cool if there was some sort of war game that literally had like an army vs an army of people. 

The worst part is that games sacrifice style for graphical fidelity so a lot of them look really generic and bland

I'll take a cartoony stylized game over a boring but really HD game any day of the week

Agreed, I'd rather have a good game than a good looking game.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2849 on: January 05, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »
Personality >>>> photorealism.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2850 on: January 05, 2017, 03:23:19 PM »

100s vs 100s sounds fun, but I think in practice it hasn't worked out well.  I recall reading awhile ago that Battlefield 4 could support 64 vs. 64 but in trial, it was a train wreck, just too much happening for it to be fun so they never made that gameplay available.  Granted, just one game, but it would be cool if there was some sort of war game that literally had like an army vs an army of people. 

Agreed, I'd rather have a good game than a good looking game.
I recon you haven't played Planetside 2? because that's exactly what you're looking for. Instead of fighting on small maps you all fight large scale battles on continents with thousands of players.

PlanetSide 2 holds the Guinness World Record for the biggest first-person shooter battle, with over 1158 players being recorded in a single battle.

I've played it a bit and even though I never got hooked it's pretty epic going into battle along with hundred of players rushing towards a base, it puts Battlefield on shame on that area atleast however the graphics are a bit dated.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2851 on: January 05, 2017, 03:49:54 PM »
Oh that's pretty interesting. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2852 on: January 05, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

I wonder how massive you could make a game with banjo-kazooie's (64-bit) graphics on the PS4

we need more big story-based games that are fun, cartoony, and basically open-world
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: January 05, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
Okay so it seems that I forgot that people with different financial abilities would see the leaps from console to console differently.
Graphics improvements are nice of course, but as someone mentioned; a good game is a good game and a shitty game is a shitty game no matter how good it's graphics are.
I got the PS4 as a gift, getting VR for it is a far out of reach thing until I get a job and even then I'll have at least 3 or 4 other priorities to use the money for.
So to me, and I thought to everyone, the only REAL reason to get the next generation of any console is the simple fact that they'll stop making games for your current console sooner or later to MAKE you buy the new one. I was fine not having a PS4 until RDR comes out, I mean Just Cause 3 has been out for a year but I'm still playing JC2 so I didn't feel the sting to get the sequel yet.
In other news; Shadow of Mordor is so fuckin good.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2854 on: January 05, 2017, 09:19:17 PM »
all the stuff i care about comes out on pc anyways so w/e

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2855 on: January 05, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »
Well consoles do definitely have their gems, mostly on previous generations imo :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2856 on: January 05, 2017, 09:27:08 PM »
i mean yes lots of great games on ps2
but i can't think of a single xbone or ps4 game i care about

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2857 on: January 05, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »
Same tbh. Also the Wii has lots of great stuff imo, as well as the PS3.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2858 on: January 06, 2017, 04:18:58 AM »
Oh that's pretty interesting.
Btw it's free to play on steam, so it's easy to try.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2859 on: January 06, 2017, 05:13:32 AM »
we need more big story-based games that are fun, cartoony, and basically open-world

Agreed. Give me another Wind Waker HD-Type game any day. A fun game is a fun game, and I could care less about graphics for the most part. But that game is beautiful because of the art direction.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: January 06, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
i mean yes lots of great games on ps2
but i can't think of a single xbone or ps4 game i care about

Im a big Halo fan so that was a reason for me to buy the xbox1 and I really did enjoy the new Halo game.  However, I don't go back to it mostly because it doesn't have split screen multiplayer.  To me, that ruins the fun of having friends over playing Halo.  It really made me feel like the xbox and next gen console gaming sucks in a way.  But the single player was still a really good game so hard to complain about that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: January 07, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
Today " Tales From The Borderlands " arrived for PS4. It was £5 online so I thought I might as well.

It's 5 x 2.5 hour episodes and is more like an Interactive Story.

I've played every other Borderlands game ( I haven't played The Pre Sequel much but I do have it ) so why not.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: January 07, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
Finished Pony Island. Very good little game, loved the concept and music. Story could have been a little deeper tho, but it's fine as it is.

Now started Antichamber. Holy shit, what even is this mindfuck.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2863 on: January 07, 2017, 07:08:25 PM »
Antichamber is so fucking awesome.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2864 on: January 07, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »
my top 25 games list agrees

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2865 on: January 08, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
Antichamber is so fucking awesome.

I started Antichamber a few months ago before moving so I haven't gotten much further in the game but it is indeed a mind fuck. I knew nothing about the game going in and I was pleasantly surprised.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2866 on: January 08, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »
A buddy of mine was obsessed with that game a couple years back, and watching him play was a bit of a mind-fuck, yeah. It's definitely the next one I'll pick up when I've got the money to shell out.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2867 on: January 10, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »
Just finished Unraveled. One of the most beautiful and touching games I've ever played. Highly recommend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2868 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »
I'm hoping that an absolute tonne of new side quests and new stuff gets released for Final Fantasy 15 soon as i've finished it twice through and have nearly finished all the side quests

and i'm just wandering around for something to do :p

Also - fix the f*kin Regalia Type - F for God's sake.

Flying the Highwind and the Ragnarok was an absolute piece of piss and was your reward for getting so far in the game.

The Regalia Type F is so fucking temperamental and hard to land - it's more like a sodding punishment. I don't even fly in it anymore. Such a pain.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2869 on: January 11, 2017, 02:16:53 AM »
Jesus christ I have never had such a love/hate relationship with a game as much as I do Watch Dogs 2. The first was at least just all around shitty. Just fucking horrible after the first five minutes. This one...this one makes you think they refined the game and fixed the issues plaguing the first and then you get into the stealth and heavy combat portions of the game and it's like "NOPE, YOU WANNA STEALTH? FUCK YOU ASSHOLE, YOU'RE LOUD AND ARE CLEARLY A GIANT. YOU WANNA SHOOT? NOPE FUCK YOU AGAIN, YOU'RE USING SILLY BULLETS AND YOUR FINGERS ARE SPAGHETTI".

I hate this game.

But I will undoubtedly play it again tomorrow. I'm just wondering if it'll ever end and I'll either say fuck it or I'll actually beat the game.

The hacking part of the game is great, but good lord...the physics (which plague most of Ubi's open-world games) and the interaction between Player and NPC is just downright sickening. I feel like as they were making it they just straight up said "Okay fuck this shit, the game is about hacking" and then forgot that they had mandatory parts of the game where you have to fight people and try to sneak past them.

On the other hand, I encountered a glitch where my little drone was never out of range so I really fucked some shit up and got a whole lot of upgrades from that. Good job and also fuck you, Ubisoft.  :tup ???

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.