Author Topic: The Cult Of Luna Thread  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
The Cult Of Luna Thread
« on: March 31, 2013, 04:49:35 AM »
There hasn't even been 2 months since I discovered them. But seriously.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline adace

Re: The Cult Of Luna Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
Awesome band :metal Vertikal and Salvation are my two favorites by them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »
Somewhere Along the Highway is their best IMO, Vertikal is sweet too.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »
Loved Vertikal, really need to dive into their discography.
And not to be the sourpuss, but Lolzeez, your first post is pretty much a spam post. There was so much you could have done, from giving a description of the band, to what they're currently up to, and instead it's a OMG I LUV THEEZ GUIZ *too many emoticons*
Sorry, I don't mean to be that guy, but as someone who's extremely passionate about music I feel these topics deserve more than that.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:10:59 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 06:26:27 AM »
Somewhere Along the Highway is their best IMO, Vertikal is sweet too.
I agree with that. SATH is one of the greatest albums I've heard recently.

And not to be the sourpuss, but Lolzeez, your first post is pretty much a spam post. There was so much you could have done, from giving a description of the band, to what they're currently up to, and instead it's a OMG I LUV THEEZ GUIZ *too many emoticons*
Sorry, I don't mean to be that guy, but as someone who's extremely passionate about music I feel these topics deserve more than that.
I agree. But I recently discovered them and plus most of the time,people writing on these threads are fans of these bands. So me giving a description would be just pointless.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:13:36 AM »
I agree. But I recently discovered them and plus most of the time,people writing on these threads are fans of these bands. So me giving a description would be just pointless.
Just to invalidate your argument, I opened this thread because I've heard the name of the band many times, but I've neither heard their music nor read anything about them, so I thought I'd find some interesting information from this thread. Unfortunately I didn't, but luckily we have Wikipedia. So yeah, I don't want to whine too much, but I'd really like to see a bit more informative opening posts. And yes, I'm completely aware that this post doesn't really have any informative value either... :blush

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »
Are they in the same vein as Isis?
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
Are they in the same vein as Isis?
YES.If you enjoy Isis,give COL a listen.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 10:48:48 AM »
A Dawn to Fear is one of the best albums of the year! Can’t believe how great this year has been/will be for music.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »
It's mostly good. There's some real snooze moments on the album, but when it hits it's real good.
My first listen I was so underwhelmed, but I'm getting around to it now! Inland Rain and The Fall are both great, and also The Silent Man which I've loved since its single release.

Lay Your Head to Rest makes me want to rest my eyes. Nightwalkers and We Feel the End is good but overlong, Lights on the Hill ends great but also builds too long, which seems to be the main trend of this album.

On first impression this comes in at a shared #5 spot I guess, not bad and will probably grow more over time:

1. Vertikal
2. Cult of Luna / The Beyond
4. Mariner / Somewhere Along the Highway
5. Eternal Kingdom / A Dawn fo Fear
7. Salvation
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 08:45:37 AM »
I'm really digging the new album. For me Somewhere Along the Highway and Salvation sits comfortably on top as their 2 best albums and after that I would say Eternal Kingdom and Mariner comes close but this new one might be a contender for the top 3. Time will tell.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 08:57:26 AM »
Mh, band sounds promising. I'm momently on a roll about doom metal and retro rock and alternative stuff, for example recently I discovered Avatarium and I'm digging them a lot, especially the first album.

Wikipedia says this:

Cult of Luna's sound has progressed from early material being heavily doom metal influenced to one much less aggressive and more concerned with orchestration. Fans and critics have termed this sound post-metal. The band is considered to be at the forefront of the genre, along with contemporary proponents Neurosis and Isis.

For someone who currently enjoys some doom (see Avatarium's first album, the self titled, or maybe Candlemass' Psalm for the Dead... I know, I know, Messiah Marcolin made history with the band but I stumbled upon that one and I like it), but loves also orchestrations and enjoys almost exclusively clean vocals (no growls, definitively no screams), which album would be a good starting point?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »
...and enjoys almost exclusively clean vocals (no growls, definitively no screams), which album would be a good starting point?
None :lol

Your best bet would be Mariner, which has Julie Christmas from Battle of Mice doing most of the vocals. She does more cleans than screams, but still, this album has her screaming, plus Johannes from Cult of Luna doing harshes too like usual (his growls are also very screamy, like with most post-metal)

I don't know much about Avatarium apart from one song (Moonhorse or something?) so I have no clue how they compare, but judging from what I've heard, barely anything. Cult of Luna don't have much to do with doom in my opinion. Early sound was very old school hardcore, and developed quickly into post-metal and some sludge
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »
Ok, thanks. I read doom metal in the description and I thought there would be no harsh vocals involved.... I'll give it a try and see if I won't be scared  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 09:58:51 AM »
I like the 15 minute one a lot
And in general the second half more than the first
Needs more spins but I'll probably pick it up so it'll get those spins

Offline Pettor

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »
Like the new record, going back to a bit heavier sound. At the same time not as immediate as the previous two albums. Needs more spins but right now Nightwalkers are my favorite  :metal

BTW found this great live recording on the official YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ubZh-7RJ_Q

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 12:28:43 PM »
Cult of Luna placed the entire live performance of Mariner - Live at the Kreun on YouTube last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d62KkKVnrqg

Such a fantastic album and performance. I would love a new project with Julie Christmas.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2021, 02:55:24 AM »
What a great new album... Fantastic eerie, doomy, haunting atmosphere.

Digging everything except for the underwhelming  ‘Inside Of A Dream’, ft Mark Lanegan of Queens Of The Stone Age. I don't understand its purpose, I guess it was meant to be an interlude but it works as a full reset  :-\

Everything else is mesmerizing.