Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 53621 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2023, 10:16:30 PM »
john carpenter's the thing

great movie!!!!!!!! i had never seen it before
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #701 on: October 10, 2023, 12:29:09 PM »
Yeah, I love that movie.  I'll watch it any time I happen to catch it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #702 on: October 10, 2023, 12:40:36 PM »
john carpenter's the thing

great movie!!!!!!!! i had never seen it before

Yeah, I love that movie.  I'll watch it any time I happen to catch it.

Yep....no matter what part it's on....the second you come across it your 'in' for the remainder. Same with Shawshank Redemption for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

« Reply #703 on: October 11, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »
we've been continuing on with our Saw re-watch, they've been so bad it's hard to keep watching them, lol. just did Jigsaw last night and need to do Spiral now before the new one that's in theaters
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #704 on: October 11, 2023, 12:00:41 PM »
we've been continuing on with our Saw re-watch, they've been so bad it's hard to keep watching them
I mean, you could stop.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #705 on: October 11, 2023, 12:01:33 PM »
i fully admit to the sunk cost fallacy. we've come so far!!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #706 on: October 11, 2023, 12:37:54 PM »
Life is too short to watch bad movies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #707 on: October 13, 2023, 09:26:36 PM »
Friday the 13th

I always forget Kevin Bacon is in this movie.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: October 14, 2023, 02:57:07 PM »

Been there. But then, also...

I've only seen the first Saw movie. I don't generally enjoy films in this genre, but this one was alright. Haven't had any desire to watch any others.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

« Reply #709 on: October 15, 2023, 08:41:47 PM »

I've only seen the first Saw movie. I don't generally enjoy films in this genre, but this one was alright. Haven't had any desire to watch any others.

the first one is actually good. can't say that about any of the others.. :lol

anyway, we finished spiral the other day. time to see the new one in theaters and be done!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #710 on: October 16, 2023, 01:59:33 AM »
A Man Named Otto.

Remake of a swedish movie, adapted in turn from a book. Beloved Tom Hanks is, for a change, a grumpy and bitter asshole. Mild spoiler: he really isn't deep down.

It's a very nice movie, I didn't know about the original so I can't compare the two things, but it's a nice way to spend an evening.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 02:44:43 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #711 on: October 16, 2023, 10:54:41 AM »

the first one is actually good. can't say that about any of the others.. :lol

anyway, we finished spiral the other day. time to see the new one in theaters and be done!
I actually thought the first Saw film wasn't bad. 

The rest...

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: October 16, 2023, 03:02:44 PM »
Equalizer 3... different tone than the first two, but a fun movie.  Couple of surprises regarding the town's responses to incidents in the movie.

Looking forward to embarking on the annual Horror film fest for Halloween.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #713 on: October 16, 2023, 08:43:45 PM »
Prey For The Devil.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: October 19, 2023, 11:57:35 AM »
Pope's Exorcist... Russell Crowe definitely saves this one I think.  The first two acts are actually very, very good; much better than I expected.  Seems like the third act was a little rushed, over the top, and easy to see coming, but didn't ruin the movie for me. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #715 on: October 19, 2023, 01:17:30 PM »
Talk Radio. (1988).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #716 on: October 22, 2023, 03:40:56 AM »
Killers of the Flower Moon - Fantastic movie but also 3 ½ hours long which means it might be a hurdle for some people. Seeing it in IMAX at a cinema helped, some beautiful cinematography and I liked it more than The Irishman. Scorsese still has it for sure.

The run time is long though and I fully admit that had I seen this at home, by myself, I probably would have struggled. I've had that issue with some other films this year that I did not get to see in the cinema. John Wick 4, Mission Impossible 7 or even Across the Spider-Verse that I had to split up into multiple viewing sections. With some of these I don't think they need to be as long as they are, John Wick is the kind of movie that should be 100 minutes and not closing in on 3 hours, Mission Impossible feels like something that's fine around 2 hours yet it had another 40 minutes on top of that.

Not saying any of these were bad at all (in fact I liked all 3) but I do feel in general the run time in movies seem to go far longer than it needs to. Even Killers of the Flower Moon which I liked a lot, probably could have been trimmed down a solid 30 minutes or so. Would still recommend it for anyone who isn't as bothered by the run time as me.  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #717 on: October 22, 2023, 05:34:25 AM »
I agree with movies being too long, it's like movies nowadays got through the same change that music did from vinyl to CDs. Once you had 74 minutes of time rather than 45, albums became longer and longer. Now, even though seeing the movie in a theater is still a thing, knowing that people watch movies in the comfort of their home and at their own pace lets director feel justified in making it into three hours. As with musical albums, just because you can, it doesn't mean you should.

To answer the question of the thread topic, I saw The Fabelmans. Almost three hours, geez, and just like you (and I, as well) did with John Wick, I split it in two viewing sessions. Didn't really like it, no disrespect to the genius of Spielberg but I didn't really got invested in the story.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #718 on: October 22, 2023, 06:19:38 AM »
Saw Old Dads.  Written and directed by Bill Burr.  Damn funny and hits this old bastard in the Jules. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

« Reply #719 on: October 22, 2023, 02:21:54 PM »
saw killers of the flower moon last night. the ending is so well done. a real achievement and it's crazy that marty is still in top form in his 80s

the length is definitely a hurdle but i feel that like is more of a theater problem than a filmmaker problem. i remember plenty of movies i saw as a kid having intermissions, no reason not to bring it back for things like this movie
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #720 on: October 22, 2023, 03:26:22 PM »
Jessebelle. cool supernatural horror. Has a "Skeleton Key" vibe.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #721 on: October 23, 2023, 05:43:35 AM »
The Creator.

Stole a lot of the premise from Avatar.  Decent enough movie.  Got time together with jingle.son for the first time in 7 weeks, so that was the best part about the evening.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #722 on: October 23, 2023, 05:45:26 AM »
The Creator.

Stole a lot of the premise from Avatar.  Decent enough movie.  Got time together with jingle.son for the first time in 7 weeks, so that was the best part about the evening.
I wanted to see it, just no time to catch it at the theater.

I did see Dungeons and Dragons over the weekend finally, and I thought it was pretty good.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: October 23, 2023, 05:51:30 AM »
The Creator.

I wanted to see it, just no time to catch it at the theater.

I did see Dungeons and Dragons over the weekend finally, and I thought it was pretty good.

Watched that a couple months back.  Good adaptation of the D&D premise.  Fun way to burn a couple of hours.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #724 on: October 23, 2023, 06:46:04 AM »
Licorice Pizza.

Stylish and retro (set in the 1970s), but weeeeeeeird and going nowhere.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #725 on: October 23, 2023, 07:42:20 AM »
I thought The Creator was fine, but nothing memorable. Didn't make me think of Avatar though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: October 23, 2023, 08:46:04 AM »
I thought The Creator was fine, but nothing memorable. Didn't make me think of Avatar though.

It's all I could think of about 1/2 way thru.  Big Bad army looking to kill the spiritual leader of another "race".  Alison Janney and Stephen Lang's characters were carbon copies of one another - military leaders hell-bent on their mission, no matter the cost or sacrifice or brutality, and no moral scruples.  One of their own planted/inflitrated in the 'other side' becomes sympathetic to their plight and a "traitor".  The parallels were quite obvious.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #727 on: October 23, 2023, 09:35:35 AM »
Licorice Pizza.

Stylish and retro (set in the 1970s), but weeeeeeeird and going nowhere.

I tried to watch that - on the recommendation of a co-worker - a few months ago.  I turned it off after 30-40 minutes.

Over the weekend, I watched No Hard Feelings with Jennifer Lawrence.  It reminded me a bit of the coming-of-age movies of the early '80s.  It had some absolutely laugh-out-loud moments, but it was more heartfelt than I was expecting.  Definitely worth 100 minutes of your time on Netflix - not the least of which was for Lawrence's ass-kicking full-frontal nude scene.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #728 on: October 23, 2023, 12:48:15 PM »
Ex Machina.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #729 on: October 23, 2023, 03:52:36 PM »
I agree on movies being too long nowadays. Maybe when I was younger it wasn’t a problem but since I have kids I easily fall asleep in the movie theater. Missed 45 minutes of Oppenheimer, just couldn’t make it through.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #730 on: October 23, 2023, 03:58:09 PM »
I love that films have become longer. It gives more breathing space than many earlier 80's-00's blockbusters but paces quicker than most (mini)series. But it also depends on the film.

This year Indiana Jones and Mission Impossible did not need to be as long in my opinion. But I felt Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower moon needed it for proper characterizatiin due to their plots spanning years/decades.Okay, maybe not 3,5 hours for Flowers, but easily three was needed. But both of these films don't linger long on shots or scenes, they actually pace quickly despite their length

I usually watch the really long ones in two sessions when at home. I do feel theaters need to include a break for the 2,5 hours+ films.

If I think about my favourite films, many tend to be longer.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #731 on: October 24, 2023, 04:26:21 AM »
I love that films have become longer. It gives more breathing space than many earlier 80's-00's blockbusters but paces quicker than most (mini)series. But it also depends on the film.

Of course it's a case by case thing, and it also depends on the kind of movie. I would have never wanted The Fellowship of the Ring to end, 'cause I wanted to see more and more of the world Peter Jackson created.

We could almost go into philosophical territory - what is an acceptable length for a movie and at which point it should be a mini series? one of the shortest series I've seen was one by Woody Allen, Crisis in Six Acts or something like that; I believe it was 6 episodes of 20 minutes, which would clock overall at a shorter running time than Killers of the Flower Moon.

I think there should be a balance, again, there surely isn't any golden rule and one should decide case by case. Sure there can be a compromise between "a movie has to last 90 minutes" and "you can make 4 hours movies", just like with music "you no longer have to stay within 45 minutes" does not authomatically means "you can release 78 minutes of music".

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: October 26, 2023, 05:41:00 AM »
I have seen a few in the last couple of days....

Today

The Killer with Michael Fassbender .. Directed by David Fincher .. I did enjoy this film.
5 Nights at Freddy's - was pretty good, I would be outside the age demographic but still creepy. That cupcake/muffin... I may have nightmares tonight
Killers of the Flower Moon .. wow very long, Scorsese never heard of an edit button, Very sad story, worse because it is true but top notch performances by everyone from Leo to De Niro, Lily Gladstone, Jesse Plemons, so many to mention, truly memorable movie.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #733 on: October 26, 2023, 10:20:13 AM »
Urge. Cheesy but entertaining.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #734 on: October 28, 2023, 03:59:45 PM »
I took yesterday off and decided I wanted to see a movie.  I saw Freelance (Alison Brie and John Cena).  Sort off a cross between Taken and Tropic Thunder.  It absolutely won't win any awards, but it was a fun romp with some good action, and the story was better than I expected.  I got out of it exactly what I wanted.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung