Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197546 times)

Offline Wubbagubba

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #6790 on: January 19, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »
I'm most worried about the final song. For 2 hours of content, such an ambitious concept, and the track record DT has for closing songs, I'd hope this one is good and the reviewer just had his own subjective disliking of it. He also mentioned "realistic audio snippets" (think gunshots in Finally Free) and I personally hope there are a good amount of those dabbled throughout the album. While some may think they're cheesy, I've always loved them and think they added to the story. Finally Free's best part IMO is when Victoria is murdered and you hear her screaming and the gunshots behind that awesome guitar riff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6791 on: January 19, 2016, 06:23:57 PM »
Yes but that scream is like the most well known stock female scream.

It's basically the female Wilhelm Scream.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6792 on: January 19, 2016, 06:27:33 PM »

And it is really old. As a kid (and I still kind of think the same) I never thought it was a woman screaming. Always like like a distressed bird to me, lol.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #6793 on: January 19, 2016, 06:55:48 PM »

And it is really old. As a kid (and I still kind of think the same) I never thought it was a woman screaming. Always like like a distressed bird to me, lol.

You must have some pretty peculiar birds around your place :rollin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6794 on: January 19, 2016, 07:04:58 PM »
I'm most worried about the final song. For 2 hours of content, such an ambitious concept, and the track record DT has for closing songs, I'd hope this one is good and the reviewer just had his own subjective disliking of it. He also mentioned "realistic audio snippets" (think gunshots in Finally Free) and I personally hope there are a good amount of those dabbled throughout the album. While some may think they're cheesy, I've always loved them and think they added to the story. Finally Free's best part IMO is when Victoria is murdered and you hear her screaming and the gunshots behind that awesome guitar riff.

I hear what you are saying.  However, structurally, that may not be exactly what they were going for here.  I believe the way the album is structured, the big "climactic" song is the penultimate song rather than the last song, and the last song serves more as the "end credits" or "epilogue" role.  Musically, think more along the lines of the last two albums.  So on ADTOE, the climactic ending is Breaking All Illusions, but then you have the mellow "roll credits" moment with Beneath the Surface.  Or with DT12, you have the climactic "ending" of Illumination Theory, but then a few seconds later, you get a mellow "roll credits" moment with the "easter egg."  So I don't think there is a failure to have a climactic ending so much as that happening on the second to last track, with the final track serving a slightly different role.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6795 on: January 19, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »
I've been to some Operas, the last song is usually like a summary of all the characters. Usually, not as epic and big as the climax.

I'm going to enjoy this album a lot.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Wubbagubba

« Reply #6796 on: January 19, 2016, 07:12:57 PM »

I hear what you are saying.  However, structurally, that may not be exactly what they were going for here.  I believe the way the album is structured, the big "climactic" song is the penultimate song rather than the last song, and the last song serves more as the "end credits" or "epilogue" role.  Musically, think more along the lines of the last two albums.  So on ADTOE, the climactic ending is Breaking All Illusions, but then you have the mellow "roll credits" moment with Beneath the Surface.  Or with DT12, you have the climactic "ending" of Illumination Theory, but then a few seconds later, you get a mellow "roll credits" moment with the "easter egg."  So I don't think there is a failure to have a climactic ending so much as that happening on the second to last track, with the final track serving a slightly different role.

Really interesting. I'm sure I won't be disappointed, as this album sounds phenomenal from what I've heard and right up my alley. Thank you!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6797 on: January 19, 2016, 07:15:14 PM »

You must have some pretty peculiar birds around your place :rollin

Haha :lol I meant more like a cartoon-esque bird.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6798 on: January 19, 2016, 07:22:22 PM »
You mean like this?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #6799 on: January 19, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
You mean like this?

Exactly! Just with the growl a bit deeper, heh.

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #6800 on: January 19, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »
So Victoria was a bird?
"The songbird stops to listen when he sings"

METROPOLIS, PT. 3 CONFIRMED

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6801 on: January 19, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »
Am I the only one who had Moment of Betrayal chorus stuck in my head during the entire day today? It's been a long time since it last happened to me, but it's so good  :metal
Nope you are not the only one. It's so catchy. Although I've also listened to it like 15 times...

Offline Systolic

« Reply #6802 on: January 19, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
I've been to some Operas, the last song is usually like a summary of all the characters. Usually, not as epic and big as the climax.

This isnt even slightly true

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6803 on: January 19, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »

I was basing off what I remember, it's been a long time. Guess I didn't pay much attention.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6804 on: January 19, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
Actually, Ben is right, some operas do have that format.
Others, of course, do not.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #6805 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »
Only Eddie Trunk would as JP and JR if they smoke pot.    Having said that the callers were pretty lame.  It was a pretty cool interview though.
Noxon said JP sounds like Kee Marcello in his solo's.   I think "moment of betrayal" sounds a lot like those 90's Europe albums he played on.
In my opinion that is a good thing.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:45:31 PM by Bertie_Wooster »

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6806 on: January 19, 2016, 10:43:48 PM »
Am I the only one who had Moment of Betrayal chorus stuck in my head during the entire day today? It's been a long time since it last happened to me, but it's so good  :metal
Nope you are not the only one. It's so catchy. Although I've also listened to it like 15 times...

Me too listening to it right now! Awesome chorus!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6807 on: January 19, 2016, 10:45:02 PM »
Only Eddie Trunk would as JP and JR if they smoke pot.    Having said that the callers were pretty lame.  It was a pretty cool interview though.

Some of the callers were horrible! Like the guy telling that drawn out story of how he thought James was a girl or whatever it was. The interview itself was really good though.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #6808 on: January 19, 2016, 10:55:32 PM »

Is it anything like this: https://youtu.be/w4kN2eZd_Ic
(like in the context of the concert)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6809 on: January 20, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »

Er, actually it was, traditionally (not so with modern operas of course). That's why Mozart wrote a really cheesy "lessons learned" ending for Don Giovanni that frankly kills the mood, and the best productions of it just scrap it and end with him being dragged to hell. But the convention was definitely a relatively upbeat reflective ending back then.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6810 on: January 20, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »
Just listened to Moment of Betrayal. Playing it alongside TGOM, the news that this album has a wider range of styles seems to be true. TGOM reminds me of SFAM + SDOIT (Disc 2) era Dream Theater, while this one sounds something like they would have done during the SC + BC&SL days, with a bit of the vibe of the self-titled.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6811 on: January 20, 2016, 12:26:29 AM »
Update from the Genie:

"Also in just getting home, I have returned to The Astonishing Songs preparation. It is such a massive, versatile and vibe-varying body of work, that revisiting parts and trying to copy the improvised details is virtually not possible. It is really brutally hard work. I hope you all heard (JP & JR) and Moment of Betrayal on the Eddie Trunk radio show. It sounded really, really great to me in that environment; really alive and powerful. The radio brings out fantastic details. I still have to slow all the tunes down to really get them, no matter how slow or fast some are. 10 more days till you can sit with it on a kick ass sound system, or amazing set of headphones geared to your preferences for a couple of hours and read along. I can't wait to get my own copy very soon."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6813 on: January 20, 2016, 01:52:49 AM »
Suffice to say I caved and listened to A Moment of Betrayal. And liked it....  ;D ;D ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Systolic

« Reply #6814 on: January 20, 2016, 03:34:32 AM »
Actually, Ben is right, some operas do have that format.
Others, of course, do not.

Not going to pull the credentials card here, but all I'm going to say is that I know from lots of performance experience that his statement is wrong 95% of the time.  Especially when it comes to Mozart, Verdi, Puccini, and Wagner.

Offline Systolic

« Reply #6815 on: January 20, 2016, 03:37:31 AM »

Er, actually it was, traditionally (not so with modern operas of course). That's why Mozart wrote a really cheesy "lessons learned" ending for Don Giovanni that frankly kills the mood, and the best productions of it just scrap it and end with him being dragged to hell. But the convention was definitely a relatively upbeat reflective ending back then.

Well that's a one-off scenario.  You can always find the exception because it sticks out.  I didn't mention postmodern operas in my response because it just goes without saying.  I mean find a single Wagner opera that ends this way.  The Marriage of Figaro wasn't like that.  Die Zauberflote wasn't like that... I wouldn't even say that Don Giovanni's ending fits the way he was describing it.

Offline pringkaarwanda

• Thanks for beautiful music, Dream Theater
« Reply #6816 on: January 20, 2016, 03:44:43 AM »

When I listening to Moment of Betrayal for the first time, I just realized something
Do you guys think that the place in this picture is the place in Moment of Betrayal song??
This is the picture from DT website

The lyric said it

"Meet me tonight where the star touch the sky"
And the place in the picture showing stars in the sky

"He'll be alone there with nowhere to hide"
I think its hard to hide in that kind of place haha

"There will be no witness"
in quite place like that, well.. There will be no witness haha

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #6817 on: January 20, 2016, 03:48:49 AM »
That MoB chorus is stuck in my head!
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #6818 on: January 20, 2016, 04:13:12 AM »
+1 :metal

Offline SkiFiX

« Reply #6819 on: January 20, 2016, 04:24:05 AM »
It seems that Gabriel is a modern version of Jesus Christ Superstar... or at least it has aspects in common

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #6820 on: January 20, 2016, 04:27:40 AM »
After a few listens, I've come to the realization that I prefer TGOM. That song does much more in 4 minutes and feels fresher. But MOB is amazing nontheless.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6821 on: January 20, 2016, 04:27:53 AM »
So Victoria was a bird?
"The songbird stops to listen when he sings"

METROPOLIS, PT. 3 CONFIRMED

" Victorias a fookin' bird man. Ya know what I mean ? "

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6822 on: January 20, 2016, 04:33:55 AM »
I actually listened to the entire interview last night. It was very informative and Trunk did a good job, although I thought he yelled a bit too much.  :lol The song was solid, I didn't find it too exciting, but then again, I only listened to it twice and it might work better in the context of the album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6823 on: January 20, 2016, 04:34:12 AM »
I was just watching THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTYWwqchhQ and it made me like Mangini a little more actually. He is playing with a lot of passion and a good sound (!!!!) and you will discover a lot of details in his playing. Why can't the drums on DT12 sound like this?
I like the TA drum sound better than DT12 (at least what I have heard in the trailer and TGOM), but it's still nothing compared to FII wich imo was the best drum sound DT ever had.

Can anyone please describe Myungs Bass sound on MoB (since I'm not gonna listen to it) please? Couldn't really hear that much Bass in TGOM. Is it like DT12? I always felt that the Bass on that album had a little too many frequencies in the middle section (sry for my English). if you listen to Clockwork Angels, now that's what I call an awesome Bass sound.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6824 on: January 20, 2016, 04:35:48 AM »
From my one listen to Moment of Betrayal on youtube - it sounded like his usual distorted bass tone on any other album.