Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197488 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #5810 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
They should finish the Astonishing tour.

Then if they've made enough money from the album / tour sales - they should do a one off DVD filming with choir & orchestra in NY where they live so it won't cost so much.

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #5811 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »
Since almost everyone keep bashing the video I''ll say tha shadow person throwing a hammer(?)  looks pretty cool. And every scene with no human(and especially animal) character looks decent.

1984 Apple commercial.  Anyone else notice that?

I noticed it, thought it an odd inclusion and just one of the out of place things. Not out of place thematically, but artistically. Still, I'm not here for the visual experience, I just want to ingest all of the snippets!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #5812 on: January 12, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »
New French interview. I'll try and translate it tomorrow (and I'll finish the Rock Hard translation). https://www.radiometal.com/article/dream-theater-a-la-reconquete-du-trone,199464
The new thing we can learn in this interview is : one of the character is a dead one... So I don't know how we can hear his voice but he/she is dead and James had to sing the parts.
Concerning the Greek reviews, I should get a French translation by tomorrow by a Greek member of Your Majesty. Then I would be able to translate it to English. But it could take some time.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5813 on: January 12, 2016, 02:58:50 PM »
Evangeline seems to make the most sense since her eyes are closed.... right? And she has light around her
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ericoml

« Reply #5814 on: January 12, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »
I think that there is a character named The Walking Shadow (one of the songs), at the trailer you can see him with the Great North Empire members as a shadow with a spear, maybe the dead person.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5815 on: January 12, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »
Evangeline seems to make the most sense since her eyes are closed.... right? And she has light around her

And Arhys' tweet "I'll never forget my promise" makes sense. That promise could be rescue Xander or something.

Offline rab7

« Reply #5816 on: January 12, 2016, 03:02:09 PM »
one of the character is a dead one...

My money is on Evangeline. Arhys's tweet "I'll never forget my promise to you" when she was introduced makes more sense if she's dead.

Also her eyes are closed in her picture.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:16:17 PM by rab7 »

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #5817 on: January 12, 2016, 03:02:49 PM »
Yo Noxon or whoever else has heard the thing, is there anything similar to the Illumination Theory Easter egg on the album?

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #5818 on: January 12, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »
James said : there are 8 characters among which 7 are alive and 1 is dead. So I presume, the dead one is a character we know.
I forgot to mention that the big information is that there will be along with the orchestra and the choir: a boys choir, a cello section and a soprano! It's gonna be majestic!
The article is really comprehensive concerning the writing process.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #5819 on: January 12, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »
Yo Noxon or whoever else has heard the thing, is there anything similar to the Illumination Theory Easter egg on the album?
I asked the same question weeks ago and it was met with "obviously not, why would someone think that?" (not verbatim) by the people who've heard the recording.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5820 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »
 :omg:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:44:16 PM by chego_voice »
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5821 on: January 12, 2016, 03:19:17 PM »

Let us swallow my tongue then! 

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5822 on: January 12, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
I asked the same question weeks ago and it was met with "obviously not, why would someone think that?" (not verbatim) by the people who've heard the recording.

Well, not really.  If it's the same post I'm thinking of, you asked if the same theme would reappear on this album, which is not the same thing as what was just asked.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5823 on: January 12, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
Just played the trailer again. I cracked up again when Nafaryus smirks his chin. :lol

I actually really like the trailer. A little goofy, but I like it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5824 on: January 12, 2016, 03:34:54 PM »
Just played the trailer again. I cracked up again when Nafaryus smirks his chin. :lol

I actually really like the trailer. A little goofy, but I like it.

The way he moves his eyes is even more bizarre. His eyes are like: ^_>

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5825 on: January 12, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5826 on: January 12, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »
That's it!  Cracks me up!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5827 on: January 12, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5828 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »
smirks his chin

Uh...what?  :lol

I didn't know how else to describe it. At least that's how it's said in Kingshmeglish.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5829 on: January 12, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5830 on: January 12, 2016, 04:08:50 PM »
 :P

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5831 on: January 12, 2016, 04:09:52 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5832 on: January 12, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
Awesome Greg!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5833 on: January 12, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »
When I was going through the frames I couldn't help but notice his eye doing that funky little cross at the end...so of course I made him do it twice. haha

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5834 on: January 12, 2016, 04:20:18 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5836 on: January 12, 2016, 04:24:50 PM »
Schurley there muscht be schome mischtake.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5837 on: January 12, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
Crap, ariich is coming. Everyone scram.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5838 on: January 12, 2016, 04:51:14 PM »

And in the trailer she appears as some sort of ghostly apparition (at 0:33)

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #5839 on: January 12, 2016, 05:07:13 PM »
Since almost everyone keep bashing the video I''ll say tha shadow person throwing a hammer(?)  looks pretty cool. And every scene with no human(and especially animal) character looks decent.

1984 Apple commercial.  Anyone else notice that?

Yeah and already said it a couple pages ago. Cheers.
And now I've only habits left
to break

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #5840 on: January 12, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
New French interview. I'll try and translate it tomorrow (and I'll finish the Rock Hard translation). https://www.radiometal.com/article/dream-theater-a-la-reconquete-du-trone,199464

Thanks for the link! :tup It was a very interesting read, especially the part about how Jordan minds work in term of musical ideas 

We also get a little bit more about the general plot: In this sterile and soulless world, Gabriel (who seems to be a performer) is the hero who shows people the emotions, passion, happiness and hope that music brings. This worries Nafaryus who is now fearing an uprising.

Also Jordan mentionned that the album has an orchestra, a choir, a gospel choir, a young boy choir, a bagpipe player, cellos, a soprano singer and James Labrie.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5841 on: January 12, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »

"Stay thirsty my friend."

Is it just me or does he bear a striking resemblance to The Most Interesting Man in the World?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5842 on: January 12, 2016, 05:39:30 PM »

Thanks for the link! :tup It was a very interesting read, especially the part about how Jordan minds work in term of musical ideas 

We also get a little bit more about the general plot: In this sterile and soulless world, Gabriel (who seems to be a performer) is the hero who shows people the emotions, passion, happiness and hope that music brings. This worries Nafaryus who is now fearing an uprising.

Also Jordan mentionned that the album has an orchestra, a choir, a gospel choir, a young boy choir, a bagpipe player, cellos, a soprano singer and James Labrie.

The album has James Labrie? WTF?!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #5843 on: January 12, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »

The album has James Labrie? WTF?!

Fuck, does that mean Chris Collins left?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #5844 on: January 12, 2016, 06:50:36 PM »
About the video, I don't understand people complaining about the graphics and all the visual part.. Isn't Dream Theater a group of MUSIC?.. Who the f*ck cares about the videos they do?..

Music is the gift they bring..

Music..

You're allowed to be critical of things you like.
In fact, if anything, you should be more critical of things you consider worthwhile.

And I'm.. I'm very critical.. I don't like KM's songs e.g.. But in this case, I don't get the need to be critical towards something has nothing to do with the main (and only) art of the artists involved.. For the last time: they make music, not graphics.. So we should (and we do) judge their music.. Nothing else..

We would love to have some music to disect and jump to conclusions about the whole album. Since this is all we have, we must look at the graphics and form opinions on the album that way.

Naa.. An album it consists of songs, not graphics or videos.. The booklet does consist of graphics, well, originally of lyrics and credits, which is still the main reason why they exists and are done, though having pictures or images makes it look better aesthetically.. But again, that's just a complement to what is really important.. Even the trailer of a movie.. That's not the movie, only a trailer.. So even if they released more snippets, an album trailer with more music or another single (the latter really surprises me hasn't arrived yet) all that would still be a short summary or a pinch of the album's music, but not the whole thing..

Stand patient.. Only 400 hours to wait.. :|
UTΣPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)