Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197511 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #4690 on: January 04, 2016, 06:15:32 AM »
Only its hte photoshopped version..

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4691 on: January 04, 2016, 06:59:17 AM »
Do we have a rough idea when some publication is going to start streaming the album in full? Last time I remember Rolling Stone started streaming DTDT at least a week before it came out.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4692 on: January 04, 2016, 07:20:24 AM »
I don't know if that's feasible this time around considering the shear scope of the album...

Offline ericoml

« Reply #4693 on: January 04, 2016, 07:34:32 AM »
I don't know if that's feasible this time around considering the shear scope of the album...

Do you rank The Astonishing in which position of DT's best albums?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4694 on: January 04, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »
I don't rank absolutes - but lets just say I've been listening to tracks since mid November and I'm still very happy with what I'm hearing.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4695 on: January 04, 2016, 08:01:01 AM »
Man it must be such a bummer when the album comes out and everybody is excited about it and you've been listening to it for two month already, I've experienced that with leaked albums in the past and usually that would be only a few days before release day but I would still be a little bummed out when "the day" comes.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4696 on: January 04, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »
Sure hope there will be more info soon... have not been this stoked for an album in years

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4697 on: January 04, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
Man it must be such a bummer when the album comes out and everybody is excited about it and you've been listening to it for two month already, I've experienced that with leaked albums in the past and usually that would be only a few days before release day but I would still be a little bummed out when "the day" comes.

The worst is not being able to speak about it. Not only because I'm not allowed (well, strictly speaking it's more self imposed than being told), but more annoyingly because there's no one to share the excitement.

But I turn it to something positive. It's become my job to hype you.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #4698 on: January 04, 2016, 08:18:10 AM »
You'd expect things to be ramping up by now, but DT land seems eerily quiet...
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #4699 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
Tease us, Noxon, TEASE US MOAR

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4701 on: January 04, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »

The worst is not being able to speak about it. Not only because I'm not allowed (well, strictly speaking it's more self imposed than being told), but more annoyingly because there's no one to share the excitement.

Thank You Noxon!
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4702 on: January 04, 2016, 09:06:14 AM »

Thanks for the insights!

Do you or any of the reviewers have a timeline when reviews are authorized to be posted online?

Offline liran95

« Reply #4703 on: January 04, 2016, 09:12:58 AM »
If the "places" section will be just pictures of places, I would be disappointed a little. I want it to at least have the names of the places, so we can play a connect the dots with the map.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4704 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:03 AM »
Well, considering the first listening party is in ten days, expect people to start talking about it then.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4705 on: January 04, 2016, 09:34:46 AM »
I wonder what would've happened if the same type of PR-scheme was used for SFAM.

Picture of "The Hypnotherapist" released:  "More like the rapist, amiright?" - "Well, it's in his title, innit?".

Picture of "Victoria" released: "Wow, she looks... wait, is that a 1920s hairstyle? Wtf is this, some kind of mafia/prohibition story? I don't get it."

Picture of "Edward" released: "Huh, whats up with the suit? He looks like straight out of the godfather. This IS a mafia story. DT has lost it. I mean, I know MP is a movie buff, but ripping of the godfather? I don't even like mafia movies!"

Location revealed - Echo's Hill: "What does that even mean?? It's like they have no knowledge of stuff that's not sound related. "echo". Geddit.

So, SO dead on.  Noxon, I hope I'm not being too forward with this next demand, but:  Please leave whoever your significant other is and marry me this very instant. 

Oh, you'll hear it when James switches characters in songs...

Oh really?  :biggrin: :lol

:rollin  Noxon, disregard my last.  I am already spoken for, and his name is chego_voice.

On a more serious note:

No. In fact, it's like FII, SFAM, SDOIT, and 8V had an orgy, and the resulting baby was TA...

I don't mean to question the credibility of a statement that came from noxon, but after Portnoy described BC&SL as a combination of A Change of Seasons, Octavarium, Learning to Live, Pull Me Under and The Glass Prison prior to its release, I became quite skeptical about those types of comparison… :P

TH1RT3EN, I understand your skepticism.  You are right to be skeptical about such statements.  However, in this instance, I think the above comparison is dead-on.  The first time I heard the 9-track promo, the first think I felt was that, sound-wise, this album reminds me VERY much of the things I like most about FII, SFAM, and Six Degrees.  I don't think it is a stretch at all to be compared to those albums.  I'm not saying there are any song-for-song parallels, but think more in terms of similarities in sound and overall feel. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4706 on: January 04, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »

:orly:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4707 on: January 04, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »
Shh, what happens in private stays in private...

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4708 on: January 04, 2016, 09:55:15 AM »
 :yeahright
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4709 on: January 04, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
I dunno if you're allowed to answer this but I'll give it a shot cause it's actually the only thing I'm curious about; what would you say the ratio of instrumental sections to singing on the album? I don't mean instrumental tracks, just within all the songs. I ask cause the concept seems too big to waste a lot of time not singing/narrating about it and that has been the case in the albums it's been influenced by, format wise.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4710 on: January 04, 2016, 10:03:00 AM »
I haven't measured, but as I've stated elsewhere, the focus is on the story and the vocals first and foremost, so the ratio is probably the highest of any DT album to date. The ratio of acoustic instruments is probably also the highest of any DT album to date.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4711 on: January 04, 2016, 10:06:07 AM »
Rich Chycki said on Twitter that The Gift Of Music was released post-mastering so can you confirm the whole album sounds that nice ?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4712 on: January 04, 2016, 10:18:12 AM »
Better.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4713 on: January 04, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
I genuinely can't hear any difference in sound between TGOM and anything on DT12, so why is the mix of DT12 criticised so much and yet TGOM has near-universal praise? Is it because everyone's an audiophile, so little differences are noticed more?

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #4714 on: January 04, 2016, 10:30:23 AM »
TGOM is more dynamic than anything from DT12. I like DT12 mix, but TGOM sounds WAY better.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4715 on: January 04, 2016, 10:32:31 AM »
Bosk!!  :omg: hahahahahaha, i'm glad you enjoy it! it was pretty fun!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4716 on: January 04, 2016, 10:37:48 AM »
This should be a VERY fun week.  Looking forward to it.  :corn

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #4717 on: January 04, 2016, 10:47:17 AM »

;D  :corn  :metal

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #4718 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:34 AM »

we all love u! hahahahahahahaa  :omg: :hefdaddy

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #4719 on: January 04, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
I haven't measured, but as I've stated elsewhere, the focus is on the story and the vocals first and foremost, so the ratio is probably the highest of any DT album to date. The ratio of acoustic instruments is probably also the highest of any DT album to date.

I am perfectly fine with this, I love Labrie's voice and the more time he gets singing, the better. It does seem like a bit of a worry for live performances though.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4720 on: January 04, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
The ratio of acoustic instruments is probably also the highest of any DT album to date.

This sounds amazing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4721 on: January 04, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4722 on: January 04, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
TGoM sounds fine I suppose. Although the drums still sound like lifeless machine, but whatever, I can live with it.

Me and a few other guys just agreed to have a listening "party" when the album drops. This whole thing is just way too silly to experience for the first time alone, so we thought that we might as well have some fun with it. If it's good, then great! If it's bad, we can all laugh together.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4723 on: January 04, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »
Me and a few other guys just agreed to have a listening "party" when the album drops. This whole thing is just way too silly to experience for the first time alone, so we thought that we might as well have some fun with it. If it's good, then great! If it's bad, we can all laugh together.
Some friends and I did that with both Octavarium and Systematic Chaos.  That was fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4724 on: January 04, 2016, 11:48:56 AM »

You gave me two boners with one post. Can't waiiiit!!!

(Actually, I CAN wait, I've already resolved myself to not hear anything, not even The Gift of Music before I'll buy it, but I want to hear iiiiiiit!!!!!)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!