Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1197487 times)

Offline 7enderbender

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #3430 on: December 14, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
It has nothing to do with age. I'm 25 years old and I would love to buy all this "useless trash", but I live in Brazil, the land where the government taxes 60% over my damn soul, so yeah.

And now the music is "not intelligent" because of some marketing? Sounds a bit elitist to me.

I am elitist. One of the reasons I like bands like DT. I just have an aversion to the whole fantasy and star wars nonsense that is really written for teenage boys who live in their parent's basement and can't get a girlfriend. Not everyone can be a Neil Peart (though Rush went into that kind of territory at some point as well but a bit more clever) but still, yikes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3431 on: December 14, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »
It has nothing to do with age. I'm 25 years old and I would love to buy all this "useless trash", but I live in Brazil, the land where the government taxes 60% over my damn soul, so yeah.

And now the music is "not intelligent" because of some marketing? Sounds a bit elitist to me.

I am elitist. One of the reasons I like bands like DT. I just have an aversion to the whole fantasy and star wars nonsense that is really written for teenage boys who live in their parent's basement and can't get a girlfriend. Not everyone can be a Neil Peart (though Rush went into that kind of territory at some point as well but a bit more clever) but still, yikes.

You certainly don't have to like the music, lyrics, concept, etc. of the new album (or any DT album, for that matter) to post here.  But you DO have to avoid insulting the band and their fans, including the user-base of this forum, if you want to stay here.  So I will ask you once and once only to tone down the insulting generalizations.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #3432 on: December 14, 2015, 03:31:22 PM »
You don't have to be 9 years old to like toys. You've only got to look at the grown men weeping over The Force Awakens and buying BB8 toys to see that nerds of all ages will happily lap this stuff up and will have the toy NOMAC in pride of place in their DT collection. For those who just want the music, you will be able to buy just the music, no one is forcing you to buy the super duper deluxe edition.

Exactly. I don't like the idea of being now lumped in with that crowd. You'd have to pay me to see a Star Wars or Harry Pothead movie. I rather spend my money on music, guitar gear (I weep over that, I admit that much) or concerts - without being bothered by some infantile heroic fairy-tales or naive political societal messaging. If you can't come up with anything good just stick to stories about girls and booze or whatever. At least that wouldn't be distracting. And DT has plenty of material where the lyrics worked just fine with only a few outliers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3433 on: December 14, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »
Thank fuck not everyone is Neil Peart.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3434 on: December 14, 2015, 03:32:28 PM »
I just have an aversion to the whole fantasy and star wars nonsense that is really written for teenage boys who live in their parent's basement and can't get a girlfriend. Not everyone can be a Neil Peart (though Rush went into that kind of territory at some point as well but a bit more clever) but still, yikes.
While I agree that much of fantasy/sci-fi would make anyone cringe, that's just a stereotype you have in your head. Lots of adult, respectable people out there who love that kind of thing, and are far from what you describe - legendary musicians too, like David Bowie.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #3435 on: December 14, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »

You certainly don't have to like the music, lyrics, concept, etc. of the new album (or any DT album, for that matter) to post here.  But you DO have to avoid insulting the band and their fans, including the user-base of this forum, if you want to stay here.  So I will ask you once and once only to tone down the insulting generalizations.

Fair enough. I'm just upset given that I would count myself a fan since the very early days. I started seeing them in little clubs in front of a few dozen people back in the days. Everyone has their ups and downs and it's great to explore new ideas. I love all of the early albums. I very much like most of the rest, with the exception of the last one and SFAM - which I know makes me look "weird" already probably by most fans. DT's music has and remains an important part of my life since the first album. I'm happy about their success that they well deserve - I'm just concerned that it's turning into a formula to attract new audiences that may come at a price artistically.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #3436 on: December 14, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »

If you give I am an elitist as a reason for listening to DT I somehow find it really hard to take you seriously. Evenmore so if you say things like Star Wars are written for boys in basements. There are really a lot of people going to see and enjoy seeing SW7 soon, and only a small percentage spends his time in a basement. It is really no better or more "elitist" to like SW of DT. Both are just enjoyment for a lot of people d even more than just enjoyment for some. Like DTs music, much more than enjoyment for a lot of people, including you I guess, since joined this forum.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3437 on: December 14, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »

Fair enough. I'm just upset given that I would count myself a fan since the very early days. I started seeing them in little clubs in front of a few dozen people back in the days. Everyone has their ups and downs and it's great to explore new ideas. I love all of the early albums. I very much like most of the rest, with the exception of the last one and SFAM - which I know makes me look "weird" already probably by most fans. DT's music has and remains an important part of my life since the first album. I'm happy about their success that they well deserve - I'm just concerned that it's turning into a formula to attract new audiences that may come at a price artistically.

I get you.  And that's a fair point. 

But I will say, however, that I personally don't think this is just a gimmick of "formula" to attract new fans.  They've done concepts and themes many times now.  And in terms of going sci-fi, that's not really new either if you think about it.  I mean, JP was writing sci-fi lyrics all the way back to the first album (The Killing Hand). 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #3438 on: December 14, 2015, 03:51:40 PM »
It sounds to me like you care way too much about how other perceive you based on what stuff of entertainment you like.

I like what I like and who cares what other people like. Some people like the same stuff as me, some don't. It's pretty narrow minded to judge people based on their interest though, is it not? I mean, the "geek" industry is currently -the- largest industry in the world. The geek have inherited the earth. Star Wars 7 opens in 33 hours, and I will be there to see it, along with hundreds of likeminded people who enjoy the same movie as I do - but I don't go about judging those who do not go to see it. Their business.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3439 on: December 14, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »
Oh. The classic "I'm gonna generalize Star Wars fans and geeks as basement dwellers". I rest my case. I had no idea you had a camera inside my base... Oops, I mean, my room. :lol:

Offline TL

« Reply #3440 on: December 14, 2015, 03:58:28 PM »
Like, I'm not really digging the concept of the new album so far, but ripping on people who do like it just seems childish.

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #3441 on: December 14, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »

I get you.  And that's a fair point. 

But I will say, however, that I personally don't think this is just a gimmick of "formula" to attract new fans.  They've done concepts and themes many times now.  And in terms of going sci-fi, that's not really new either if you think about it.  I mean, JP was writing sci-fi lyrics all the way back to the first album (The Killing Hand).

I actually really spend some time yesterday going through the albums in chronological order and trying to figure out which parts and pieces of the whole thing touched me most. And with that I realized how much anything written by Kevin Moore at the time hits that nerve. And then there is quite a bit later that is in that same vein musically or otherwise. Killing Hand brings back fond memories as well - probably less so because of the lyrical meaning but because it being the soundtrack to the backseat of my old Corolla back in 88/89...
And I was thrilled to see Space Dye Vest included in the recent live album. That kind of stuff leaves things to the imagination. Concept albums never do. I do love The Wall though, but that is a whole other story altogether.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
Ripping on people who do like it just seems childish.

For ANY reason...

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3443 on: December 14, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm the only DT fan of my group of friends, yet I'm the only one who hasn't seen any Star Wars movie, your theory is lacking mate.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3444 on: December 14, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
It sounds to me like you care way too much about how other perceive you based on what stuff of entertainment you like.
Bingo.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3445 on: December 14, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'm the only DT fan of my group of friends, yet I'm the only one who hasn't seen any Star Wars movie
Definitely this - won't even bother going to the cinema for the last one :P

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #3446 on: December 14, 2015, 04:22:31 PM »
the pic of clock is the mirror.
8.when your time has come.
maybe the char 8 show to us when the nafaryus was a childe.
i think we must calculating the days after the arrival the char 8 to release the album! what's the meanin of this?
4 characters from ravenskill.(1 character is hidden) and four characters from GNE. whats ur idea?
so give ur info about all characters. after compeleting all 8 caharcters.warning from DT: Hey dtf. when your time has come.exactly the track8
 :lol

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #3447 on: December 14, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »
Omg, he's back! Exciting times!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3448 on: December 14, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »
i think we must calculating the days after the arrival the char 8 to release the album! what's the meanin of this?
4 characters from ravenskill.(1 character is hidden) and four characters from GNE. whats ur idea?
so give ur info about all characters. after compeleting all 8 caharcters.warning from DT: Hey dtf. when your time has come.exactly the track8

The album is out on January 29.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3449 on: December 14, 2015, 04:27:08 PM »
Oh my fucking god Hadi you are the best update ever, I'll take this over an official single release any day!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3450 on: December 14, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »
I'm your fan, clock guy  :hefdaddy

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #3451 on: December 14, 2015, 04:34:16 PM »

I like what I like and who cares what other people like. Some people like the same stuff as me, some don't. It's pretty narrow minded to judge people based on their interest though, is it not? I mean, the "geek" industry is currently -the- largest industry in the world. The geek have inherited the earth. Star Wars 7 opens in 33 hours, and I will be there to see it, along with hundreds of likeminded people who enjoy the same movie as I do - but I don't go about judging those who do not go to see it. Their business.

It's really not that. I don't care what other think about what I like. And I really hope you'll have great fun at the movie theater. My comments were solely about myself and not about others. My apologies if that insulted anyone. This was more about my own grief that some things don't last or may turn into something that's not yours any longer.
It happens. Pink Floyd is no more (and I find David Gilmour's solo attempt equally sad), Rush may be on their way out...big part of the soundtrack of my life.

And nothing against "geekish" things - plenty of that going on with me. 

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #3452 on: December 14, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »
 the relase date is 29th. i see it in fuckin amazon. u dont undrestand my idea.i say we can calculating the fuckin days after arival the char 8. wow kotowboy. u have new info about release album. the relase date is 29th :lol
when we can see the char 8 pic? after fuckin look to char 8 i think we can calculating days until album got for sale. do u know about another info? we know only the release date of fuckin astonishing. so when ur time has come. i saw ur post in dtf

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3453 on: December 14, 2015, 04:35:53 PM »
fuckin

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3454 on: December 14, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »
I feel like you're starting to just state random facts/theories every other sentence, WERE YOU JUST A HYPE OR WHAT? Make it rain baby!

the relase date is 29th. i see it in fuckin amazon. u dont undrestand my idea.i say we can calculating the fuckin days after arival the char 8. wow kotowboy. u have new info about release album. the relase date is 29th :lol
when we can see the char 8 pic? after fuckin look to char 8 i think we can calculating days until album got for sale. do u know about another info? we know only the release date of fuckin astonishing. so when ur time has come. i saw ur post in dtf
Yea I have another fact for you Mister Persian, we don't calculate the release date, we read fuckin amazon and see it release 29 Janury

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #3455 on: December 14, 2015, 04:44:21 PM »
The album is out on January 29.

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

You don't get it Kotowboy. See, I posted this earlier today

I guess you're right. His prediction were definitely all spot on. I really wish he was still there to share more of his wisdom with us.

And now he is back! It's like he heard my prayers. And also after (non extensive) researches, I've found that the name Hadi is an arabian name that means ''guiding to the light''. Do you get it now? He doesn't need a god because he is one himself  :omg:

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #3456 on: December 14, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
 i wish u can speaking persian. i cant send my idea exactly.cause of poor english language. all of you: when u ready for the astonishing tour. if u buy the VIP .pls tell to band all iranian fans hi to DT.thanx

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3457 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
i wish u can speaking persian. i cant send my idea exactly.cause of poor english language. all of you: when u ready for the astonishing tour. if u buy the VIP .pls tell to band all iranian fans hi to DT.thanx
I can speaking persian fleuntly talk to me like I'm the prince of persia man! I understand the words yes yes!

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #3458 on: December 14, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
خوب پس اگه منظورمو فهمیدی.من گفتم بعد از اینکه شخصیت هشتم رونمایی شد.از اون به بعد باید دید تا 29 ژانویه چند روز مونده.تو همینو به انگلیسی ترجمه کن

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: December 14, 2015, 04:54:42 PM »
MY MOTHER WAS A SAINT ! GET OUT ! :angry:

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #3460 on: December 14, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »
 give me info about the tome of arriving the char 8.then calculate after showing char 8 until 29th jaunary. hey dtf? tell me info about char 8?
is the charachter from GNE or RRM? 4 near the 4.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3461 on: December 14, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
Seriously what is your fascination with char8 ?  :lolpalm:

I just don't understand.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3462 on: December 14, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »
give me info about the tome of arriving the char 8.then calculate after showing char 8 until 29th jaunary.

NO

hey dtf? tell me info about char 8?

NO

is the charachter from GNE or RRM? 4 near the 4.

DONT KNOW

ACTUALLY :

Character Eight will be revealed before January 29.

It will either be Great Northern Empire or Ravenskill Rebel Militia.

All info we have is in the " WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR " thread. Go there.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #3463 on: December 14, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
the bonuse track .15.the gift of kotowboy to dt( One Wormy hat and one astonishing nose and one monster face) kotowboy change ur profile pics.
the time will say everything :rollin

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3464 on: December 14, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »

:metal

It would actually be pretty cool if, after Nafaryus is consistently perceived as the bad guy, the album would reveal the cause of his actions that trace back to his childhood, possibly revealing that Ravenskill are just as morally corrupt as The Great Northern Empire.

I don't think that will happen though. I think there may be a moral twist, but DT are probably not going back in time to reveal it.

Also, I think Character 8 will come on Jan 4th at the rate things are going. Take Kotowboy's advice and read my 'What We Know So Far' thread (if you haven't yet) to get an idea of how things are progressing.