Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 460673 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #4165 on: December 14, 2016, 12:23:47 PM »
I really am curious if they bought out Lucas Lock Stock and Barrel or if he still retains some royalties for the name and the characters etc.

And if he still gets anything from merch.

If he sold *everything* then yeah $4bn is a steal because Disney is gonna make that back IN SPADES.
It is my understanding that he was completely bought out.

Then they got an absolute bargain. Not that $4,000,000,000 is a small amount of money. But compared to what they're going to make off the franchise...

Force Awakens box office alone was $2bn so they've made half of it back already and there's still 5 more films to come.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4166 on: December 14, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
This is a small thing, but I was thinking about it: will there even be an opening crawl in this film? I'm hoping that the direction in this movie will be totally different than what you'd normally expect, but I guess we'll see.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4167 on: December 14, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »
This is a small thing, but I was thinking about it: will there even be an opening crawl in this film? I'm hoping that the direction in this movie will be totally different than what you'd normally expect, but I guess we'll see.

No opening crawl was confirmed a few weeks ago.

The pros that I generally trust, and that are huge Star Wars fans having been giving mostly good reviews, kind of like a B+ rating. Apparently they said if you're a HUGE Star Wars fan and have followed lots of the shows/books etc, then this movie is exactly for you. But if you're a casual fan (someone who has seen the movies and not much more), like me, then a lot of it will be a bit lost on you, but that you'll still mostly like it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jester

« Reply #4168 on: December 14, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »
Countdown to all the "this is the BEST Star Wars ever.  This is how Force Awakens should have been done."

Followed by a 1 to 6 month drop in euphoria.

I was worried about the reshoots, but I went on IMDB after the initial writers made asses out of themselves and the replacement guy has a much better film history.  The only worry people have is that the movie went from dark and gritty to safe and kid friendly.  The replacement writer suggests this might not be the case.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4169 on: December 14, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
No opening crawl was confirmed a few weeks ago.

Oh, thank you!

I haven't been keeping up with everything because the looming threat of a Star Wars movie every year for the foreseeable future has me exhausted already. I'm trying to think about the movies as little as possible in between seeing them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4170 on: December 14, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
Saturday Afternoon for the family and I.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4171 on: December 14, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
Countdown to all the "this is the BEST Star Wars ever.  This is how Force Awakens should have been done."
You can stop counting lol.  I saw a headline the other day that said this is the best SW film since Empire.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4172 on: December 14, 2016, 01:58:49 PM »
I can't remember what the initial reviews for The Phantom menace were like.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4173 on: December 14, 2016, 02:03:13 PM »
I can't remember what the initial reviews for The Phantom menace were like.

I remember walking out with my buddy and we both didn't wanted to admit how bad it was and we were both stuttering trying to say something good about it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4174 on: December 14, 2016, 02:19:47 PM »
It came out in 1999 so i would have been 20 or so when it came out.

I didn't think it was the worst thing i'd ever seen but I was with friends and we all knew it was Meh.

I was never a big Star Wars fan so i tdidn't affect me one way or the other.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4175 on: December 14, 2016, 02:47:56 PM »
IIRC most of the initial reviews in 99 were positive. I think fans had that initial euphoria about a new SW film, that they were able to gloss over the bad bits. As mentioned above though, I think the tide of fan opinion U-turned a few months after release.

Also, The Matrix was released in 1999 and stole a lot of TPM's thunder, in terms of "buzz" and word of mouth. Fans really liked this new style of action movie, and maybe TPM's style looked a bit clunky and dated in comparison.

Offline Jester

« Reply #4176 on: December 14, 2016, 02:52:21 PM »
Phantom followed the internet age cycle of reviews.

Euphoria upon release, followed by a backlash to the euphoria, followed by nitpicking, eventually leading to some normalization.

I'm a Star Wars fan so I roll my eyes when the latest edition is proclaimed the best ever just as I roll my eyes when it is eventually claimed the worst thing ever.

I'm assured Star Wars has had a pretty good run when I watch Star Wars fan films or "fan edits" (from mild to total reinvention).  None of them come close to the actual Star Wars movies.

Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4177 on: December 14, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
IIRC most of the initial reviews in 99 were positive. I think fans had that initial euphoria about a new SW film, that they were able to gloss over the bad bits. As mentioned above though, I think the tide of fan opinion U-turned a few months after release.

Also, The Matrix was released in 1999 and stole a lot of TPM's thunder, in terms of "buzz" and word of mouth. Fans really liked this new style of action movie, and maybe TPM's style looked a bit clunky and dated in comparison.

The Matrix & Fight Club. Fight Club was not a box office hit but a big cult success. Also how good was The Matrix in 1999 ? Blew my mind. It was so unique to me. The FX were mind boggling.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4178 on: December 14, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
Just saw Rogue One and am very pleased. The whole movie was good but right now there's just one scene towards the end that is stuck in my mind. Holy shit.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4179 on: December 14, 2016, 03:07:07 PM »
Also how good was The Matrix in 1999 ? Blew my mind. It was so unique to me. The FX were mind boggling.

it still holds it's own even today. Sure technology has improved and what not but all in all that movie never loses it's luster with me. Now the sequels are a different story....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4180 on: December 14, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
Also how good was The Matrix in 1999 ? Blew my mind. It was so unique to me. The FX were mind boggling.

it still holds it's own even today. Sure technology has improved and what not but all in all that movie never loses it's luster with me. Now the sequels are a different story....

Yes indeed. My bro and I are film fans. We watched all 3 films back to back in one day. Second one adds almost nothing to the story. It's Set-Piece : The Movie !!!

The third one I do like. I don't think it's the worst one. it's easily better than Reloaded. Reloaded is just action scenes and characters that turn up and do nothing consequential except

deliver exposition and then are never seen again.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4181 on: December 14, 2016, 03:23:39 PM »
Agreed. The second movie was total dung, and the third was a bit better. (Which one had the weedy guy from Home and Away?).

I think the sequels weakened the first movie, in a way. It would have really stood really strong and impactful as a standalone movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4182 on: December 14, 2016, 03:52:59 PM »
Agreed. The second movie was total dung, and the third was a bit better. (Which one had the weedy guy from Home and Away?).

I think the sequels weakened the first movie, in a way. It would have really stood really strong and impactful as a standalone movie.

First movie had Damien from Home And Away.

2nd and 3rd coulda been combined as one movie and they could have added in some of the bonus footage they shot for the game etc.

But yeah. The ending of the first one tells you everything you need to know.

Neo is gonna reveal himself to the humans and the matrix is gonna end. Bingo. End of.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4183 on: December 14, 2016, 04:36:05 PM »

First movie had Damien from Home And Away.

2nd and 3rd coulda been combined as one movie and they could have added in some of the bonus footage they shot for the game etc.

But yeah. The ending of the first one tells you everything you need to know.

Neo is gonna reveal himself to the humans and the matrix is gonna end. Bingo. End of.

If they had pushed some sort of new technology like they did with Matrix it'd have helped.  But they used literally every same technique they used in the original AND had an unoriginal story to boot. It was such a promising idea that IMO they mailed in just to cash in.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4184 on: December 14, 2016, 11:12:05 PM »
I love the Matrix sequels.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4185 on: December 15, 2016, 06:33:26 AM »
Just got back from Rogue One. It's a great movie. Better than TFA in my opinion, and very different too. I won't give any spoilers, because there are plenty of unexpected surprises in there for fans, but it ties in very nicely to ANH (which I rewatched earlier today), ending pretty close to where that begins. There was one particular reference that didn't seem necessary, but I still didn't mind.
The end battle is cool, a very desperate struggle with a lot of carnage. I liked all of the characters, although K2SO was my favourite, having all of the funny lines, without being silly.

I can't imagine any legitimate reason a Star Wars fan won't love this movie, unless you're some super nitpicky EU purist or something. I don't agree with any of the few major criticisms I've seen of it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4186 on: December 15, 2016, 06:49:49 AM »
Star Wars EU :lol

I could not care less about that.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4187 on: December 15, 2016, 07:04:24 AM »
I thought K2 was a bit too much. Some of his lines were legitimately funny, but sometimes it came across a bit forced.

I would say that I like Force Awakens a bit more, but still liked Rogue One a lot.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4188 on: December 15, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
I didn't have a problem with any of K2SO's lines, it all fit with his blunt personality imo, and they dialed it back towards the end of the movie to not undermine the situation.

And I kept waiting for space monkey, but I only spotted him in the Yavin briefing room. Did they edit his shots out? He was my most anticipated part! :(
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4189 on: December 15, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »

Me either. I was never into the SW books or anything.

Glad to hear you liked it Blob. I just need to stay spoiler free for one more day..

Online Adami

« Reply #4190 on: December 15, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »

Especially after Brexit.

Thank you, thank you.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4191 on: December 15, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #4192 on: December 15, 2016, 02:14:05 PM »
Got back from Rogue One about an hour ago..

It was pretty awesome! I liked TFA better, but that's just me. Very different, compared to any other SW movie.

Some of the characters didn't get the spotlight enough, and it is pretty slow in it's second act but no other major complaints. There's a space battle that might be my second favorite in the franchise, after Endor.

They do some amazing things with CGI in this movie btw. The possibilities with it are endless, after they smooth out the rough edges first.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #4193 on: December 15, 2016, 05:04:57 PM »
I liked Rogue One! Not as good as TFA, but they tied it together well with A New Hope. If TFA was a 9/10 for me (my favorite SW movie after Empire), Rogue One was maybe a 7-7.5. No major problems with it, but some minor ones.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4194 on: December 15, 2016, 05:23:58 PM »
How was Felicity?

Offline Jester

« Reply #4195 on: December 15, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
All though it should be obvious internet logic at this point to not read movie/tv/whatever threads of something just released, perhaps the title should be changed to have (Spoilers) for the first 1 to 4 weeks?

Online Adami

« Reply #4196 on: December 15, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
I think I need to watch TFA awaken. I remember liking it a lot when I first saw it (though I place it 3rd, which isn't too hard in a 4 movie set), but the more I reflect on it, the more I dislike the story/script/writing in general. I feel like the "member berries" thing makes sense when I hear people talk about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4197 on: December 15, 2016, 07:42:38 PM »
Careful, Star Wars spoiler below:

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4198 on: December 15, 2016, 10:58:19 PM »
Spoiler alert: Rogue One was awesome.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4199 on: December 16, 2016, 12:31:49 AM »
Looking forward to checking this out this weekend