Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 460678 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2660 on: April 16, 2015, 07:28:44 PM »
...Harrison Ford is obviously much younger than he is in recent films, but to me he doesn't look like Harrison Ford; he just looks like Han Solo...

In a similar way, it is amazing that he played two of the most iconic action movie characters of all time (Han and Indiana Jones) at a overlapping period, and managed to make both of them unique characters, without necessarily looking like either of them. A large part of that is due to wardrobe, but still. In different hands, these guys would come across as much similar. Imagine Nicolas Cage in these two roles. You would see him as Han Solo, and think "Hey, it's Nicolas Cage, he played Indiana Jones." 

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2661 on: April 16, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »
Imagine Nicolas Cage in these two roles.

Do I have to?  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2662 on: April 16, 2015, 08:03:09 PM »
Imagine Nicolas Cage in these two roles.

I liked the National Treasure movies.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2663 on: April 16, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
The will be people with the gift of "The Force".  Some will always use it for bad and will arise as dark lords.  That's life man.

Dark Jedi, but not Sith.  Totally different things.

BTW, the Empire isn't in ashes.  The Empire was still very strong.  It just lost their emperor (which was more about him consolidating power for himself than making the Empire itself strong).  If rebellions can take years/decades on earth, galactic rebellions could rage for decades/centuries.  So I have no problem with the Empire still being very strong.

The Jedi Counsel fell apart as well and it rose from the ashes so why can't the Empire with a new dark Lord? 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #2664 on: April 16, 2015, 08:18:58 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:57:02 PM by Calvin6s »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2665 on: April 16, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
So all is lost with the death of the top 2 Sith Lords?   I think you are looking to much into it.  Let's bet on bad ass dude with the force does evil and decides he wants to rebuild the Empire.  Seems plausible.  I think you are making things to hard. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2666 on: April 16, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »
So all is lost with the death of the top 2 Sith Lords?   I think you are looking to much into it.  Let's bet on bad ass dude with the force does evil and decides he wants to rebuild the Empire.  Seems plausible.  I think you are making things to hard. 
This.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Calvin6s

« Reply #2667 on: April 16, 2015, 08:26:57 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:57:23 PM by Calvin6s »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2668 on: April 16, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »
You just make it sound like it's preposterous that the Empire and the Sith could not rebuild since The Emperor and Darth Vader died.  I say you're wrong in your believe that it couldn't be rebuilt.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2669 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:08 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:57:37 PM by Calvin6s »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2670 on: April 16, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »
Ben did not live a thousand years.  It didn't take that long for the Sith to take over.  I just don't get how these movies can "undo too much of the Episode 6 Grand Finale"  Those are your words.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2671 on: April 16, 2015, 09:07:43 PM »
So I thought there was some gimmick for BB-8 or something. Nope.

BB-8 comes out on stage
Listen! Do you smell something?

Calvin6s

« Reply #2672 on: April 16, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:57:51 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2673 on: April 16, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »
Great flying scenes but wtf :lol - the exact same chase scene from Into Darkness !

That's no surprise to me, since he was trying to turn Star Trek into Star Wars. :biggrin:

But I thought the same thing watching the new trailer.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #2674 on: April 16, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »
Not sure if anyone's noticed this, but the new good guys (Rebels) are called "The Resistance" and the new bad guys (Empire) are called "The First Order"

Also, I'm a little late to the party, but holy shit. I'm sooooooo hyped on this now! Can't effing wait  :metal
May The Force Be With You.

Offline adace

« Reply #2675 on: April 17, 2015, 12:18:52 AM »
That trailer was badass!! This is easily my most anticipated film of the year.

Also, can't wait for the Star Wars Battlefront reveal!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2676 on: April 17, 2015, 12:20:20 AM »
So I thought there was some gimmick for BB-8 or something. Nope.

BB-8 comes out on stage
Wooo that's awesome. Has to be some kind of magnet right?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2677 on: April 17, 2015, 12:37:34 AM »
I've not seen it mentioned yet :

"My father HAS it"

Yeah what's that about? While watching the trailer I thought it would be Luke talking, but when he said that I figured it couldn't be. But it is, isn't it?

Over thinking a bit?  It's the line from Jedi, word for word.  Just because you're dead doesn't mean you no longer have the Force.
Someone said it's sampled from RotJ, you can even hear Vader after the first line if you turn up the volume.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: April 17, 2015, 04:08:27 AM »
Ben did not live a thousand years. 
That's nice.  Let me know what thread you are reading, because it isn't this one.

It didn't take that long for the Sith to take over. 
I'm now guessing you've never seen Star Wars?  The only question is whether it was 1000 years or 1000 generations.  Did you miss the whole Episode 1 where it talked about the Sith finally revealing themselves?  They were in the shadows waiting to properly strike.  It took more than one Sith Master to make it that far.  That was kind of told in Ep. 3 with Plagueis the Wise speech.

I just don't get how these movies can "undo too much of the Episode 6 Grand Finale"  Those are your words.
Yup.  Those were my words.  Once again, not sure what your point is here.

BB-8 comes out on stage
Very cool.  The video it went to after that with most of the original crew in Anaheim was very cool as well.

Puuuuleaaase.  I  haven't seen Star Wars?! :lol

All I'm saying is your worries are unfounded.  And now I question if you actually saw the movies.  You surmise everything in your mind as truths.  Far from it. So what if some Sith decides that he wants to bring back the Empire and wants to become the new Emperor?   That's going to ruin the movie for you?  How about that's exactly what's going to happen and we'll see it's infancy and blossom over the following 2 movies.

That seems very possible.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: April 17, 2015, 04:34:01 AM »
Just don't bring back "Vader".  He was the subject of the previous SIX films.

I heard that Disney threw out George's script for Episode VII and wrote a completely new one.

That's good because

I. His writing is awful
II. They might want something fresh and new & his ideas might have included old characters that we don't need to see again.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2680 on: April 17, 2015, 05:38:34 AM »
Yeah, no Vader.  It's the passing of the torch for both the Jedi & the Sith.  The continuing battle of good verses evil.  The new visuals in the trailer look stunning.  Just the thought of a Star Cruiser destroyed and where it fell to was chilling.  Now, the storyline........

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2681 on: April 17, 2015, 06:00:48 AM »
Has anyone here seen both A New Hope & The Phantom Menace in cinema upon original theatrical release ?

Star Wars was the year before I was born but I went to see Phantom Menace on release day with some

friends and we were pretty non-plussed ;D

Even as 20 year olds who love sci fi we could tell it was bad.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2682 on: April 17, 2015, 06:13:27 AM »
I saw Phantom Menace at the cinema when I was 15 and thought it was dreadful.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: April 17, 2015, 06:15:08 AM »
I did.  I saw Star Wars 7 times as an 8 & 9 year old.  Phantom Menace only once. :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: April 17, 2015, 07:01:14 AM »
Calvin,

Why do you think the point of RotJ was to destroy the Sith? That's what happened, sure (well the Banite variety of Sith anyway), but wasn't the major point of the movie the struggle for freedom and the minor point the redemption of Anakin Skywalker...good finally won out, against all odds. Or, the point of the show also could have been to get Carrie Fisher into that costume.

Why would it seem far fetched for someone who is powerful with The Force to take up the mantle of Sith Lord. Maybe visit and ancient Sith stronghold or some such. Create a new organization with new methods that still hold to the Sith creed.

I don't get why you would draw a line in the sand and set yourself up for disappointment without giving the writers a chance to have it make sense.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2685 on: April 17, 2015, 07:08:57 AM »
Has anyone here seen both A New Hope & The Phantom Menace in cinema upon original theatrical release ?
Yep.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: April 17, 2015, 08:18:47 AM »
Someone said it's sampled from RotJ, you can even hear Vader after the first line if you turn up the volume.

Why would you hear Vader? Luke says that line when he talking to Leia before he goes to turn himself in.

Unrelated, I saw a video talking about the trailer and "Vader's crushed skull." :lol 1. That's his helmet. 2. His body and suit were both burned so it's melted, not crushed.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2687 on: April 17, 2015, 08:19:10 AM »

I have.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2688 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »

Why would you hear Vader? Luke says that line when he talking to Leia before he goes to turn himself in.

Unrelated, I saw a video talking about the trailer and "Vader's crushed skull." :lol 1. That's his helmet. 2. His body and suit were both burned so it's melted, not crushed.
Oh  :lol Well I don't now, when you listen you do hear a Vader kind of echo, maybe that's intended for the trailer though or it's just a coincidence.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2689 on: April 17, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »
Yeah, I saw The Phantom Menace, along with the rest of the Prequel Trilogy, during its original theatrical release. I also got to see A New Hope on the big screen around the same time TPM was originally released too. It was awesome.

The new trailer is amazing. Honestly, it's one of the best trailers I have ever seen. :hefdaddy
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: April 17, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
I'm a little weary of this new filming fad where action scenes have to look like they are being filmed by a handheld. Not just shaky cam, but now with the whole zooming in thing too (seen in this trailer as the TIE Fighter follows the Falcon into the ship wreckage). Maybe it's been around for a while, but I've only really started noticing it over the past 3-4 years.

Maybe it's not a bad thing, but lately noticing it has been taking me out of the film experience rather than immersing me more.

Also, about what I said about Darth Vader's helmet, apparently there's a debate over whether fire should've been able to melt it. So there are conspiracy theories and whatnot.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2691 on: April 17, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
Do we even know what material Darth Vader's helmet was made of?  I always assumed it was a heavy polymer of some kind.  If it were made of metal, it would be really heavy.  Vader's helmet looked more or less like the regular Storm Trooper helmet, only black.  It's certainly plausible that they'd have blaster-resistant polymers, but they'd still melt in a bonfire.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2692 on: April 17, 2015, 12:47:14 PM »
JET FUEL DOES NOT BURN HOT ENOUGH TO MELT DARTH VADER'S HELMET! 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2693 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:03 PM »
Even within the confines of the EU (which is where most of the Sith lore lies), which doesn't really count, the Rule of Two was not the origin of the Sith.  Darth Bane established that rule, some time after there were already Sith Lords.

The Sith Lords were originally Dark Jedi (whatever the hell that means - again, it's EU, which doesn't matter). 

So there is no reason why there couldn't arise other Dark Jedi who found a new Sith Order of some kind.  And if so, there is no reason to think that they would have to continue with the Rule of Two.  That obviously didn't work out so well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2694 on: April 17, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
In 97 I saw Star Wars a new hope in theaters. This was my first viewing of any star wars movie and I was around 8 years old. Enjoyed it and then absolutely fell in love with Empire and Jedi, and just watched them over and over and over. I was truly obsessed.

Watched Phantom menace in theaters when It came out. Thought it was pretty dumb even at age 10. It just didn't feel right and probably was my first meh moment.  Since that day, I've seen it maybe 3 times total.

Saw AOTC in theaters and really hated it, and still hate it.

Saw ROTS in theater and actually really liked it. It definitely has some real dumb ass parts, but overall I still really like it, but no where near the old trilogy.