Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 460664 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2450 on: November 29, 2014, 03:29:24 AM »
Yea I think the lightsaber looks badass!

Someone said though that the hilt they use is pretty unpractical because the hilt in itself is to prevent a sword from chooping off your hand when it slides on your sword but because the two lasers are uprised from the handle it would just cut through.

With that said I don't relate Star Wars with practicality anyway and also i've never seen lightsabers slide on eachother in a fight so yea...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2451 on: November 29, 2014, 03:35:21 AM »
I always figured there were techniques to avoid getting your hands cut off by 'sliding'. Unless you're Count Dooku.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2452 on: November 29, 2014, 04:19:05 AM »
Now that's a fucking teaser trailer  :metal

From Adam Driver's voiceover...to those X-iIngs flying over the water.... And the Falcon....that glorious Millennium Falcon flying with the Star Wars theme....I'm so amped!!!!
That's not Adam Driver on the voiceover.

Early rumors were that it is Benedict Cumberbatch, but I have heard that it is Andy Serkis.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2453 on: November 29, 2014, 05:08:00 AM »
That teaser trailer was fantastic. I haven't seen the first 6 films in years, but I am going to watch this one. It will likely be great.

THOSE X-WINGS.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2454 on: November 29, 2014, 05:28:20 AM »
Now that's a fucking teaser trailer  :metal

From Adam Driver's voiceover...to those X-iIngs flying over the water.... And the Falcon....that glorious Millennium Falcon flying with the Star Wars theme....I'm so amped!!!!
That's not Adam Driver on the voiceover.

Early rumors were that it is Benedict Cumberbatch, but I have heard that it is Andy Serkis.

Some people are speculating it's Max von Sydow as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2455 on: November 29, 2014, 05:30:08 AM »
It doesn't really sound anything like Max Von Sydow.

Serkis is being "confirmed" by Collider and Hit Fix.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2456 on: November 29, 2014, 05:35:12 AM »
I've also heard Serkis as the the most reliable culprit. Without knowing many of the roles in the movie, I'm not sure it reveals too much at this stage either way. The trailer did a good job of generating discussion without giving up much at all.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2457 on: November 29, 2014, 06:19:42 AM »
I am supposed to wait another year for this!?

Damn, that was awesome! I loved that scene with the X-wings flying over water. One more year to go!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2458 on: November 29, 2014, 06:36:54 AM »
I've also heard Serkis as the the most reliable culprit. Without knowing many of the roles in the movie, I'm not sure it reveals too much at this stage either way. The trailer did a good job of generating discussion without giving up much at all.
Yes it was perfect for a teaser. It didn't reveal or withhold too much.

Plus the slight pause then then MF intro was great.

I'm a trekker and I thought it was awesome.

JJ is clearly better suited to SW.

It looks like the OT and absolutely fuck all like the PT.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #2459 on: November 29, 2014, 06:41:37 AM »
I thought the point of the lightsaber was obvious: it looks badass.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2460 on: November 29, 2014, 08:10:26 AM »
I always figured there were techniques to avoid getting your hands cut off by 'sliding'. Unless you're Count Dooku.
Yea that's probably true, I mean they ain't Jedis for nothing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2461 on: November 29, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »
They've established that light saber "blades" aren't just laser beams, but focused energy constructs.  That's why they have a finite length, and why they cannot pass through each other.  In a practical sense, it's because Lucas wanted the fights to be like sword fights visually, but most people have figured that part out.  But the part that never worked for me was the lack of hilts, and now they've addressed that.  Those little guys on the hilts will stop the opponent's blade from sliding down and taking off your hand because their blade will stop.  We have seen the blades sliding up and off of each other; it's not too great a stretch to figure they go the other way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2462 on: November 29, 2014, 09:02:44 AM »
:lol At least it's not Darth Grevious with his 4 lightsabres. That shit was dumb.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2463 on: November 29, 2014, 09:10:32 AM »
They've established that light saber "blades" aren't just laser beams, but focused energy constructs.  That's why they have a finite length, and why they cannot pass through each other.  In a practical sense, it's because Lucas wanted the fights to be like sword fights visually, but most people have figured that part out.  But the part that never worked for me was the lack of hilts, and now they've addressed that.  Those little guys on the hilts will stop the opponent's blade from sliding down and taking off your hand because their blade will stop.  We have seen the blades sliding up and off of each other; it's not too great a stretch to figure they go the other way.
But because the laser beams are uprised from the handle wouldn't they just cut through?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2464 on: November 29, 2014, 09:22:37 AM »
:rollin I seriously cannot fathom how much of the internet chatter about the trailer is about that one fucking shot.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2465 on: November 29, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »
Seriously it's sort of embarrassing. I mean the teaser didn't really give anything but that is what people are going to talk about?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2466 on: November 29, 2014, 09:28:47 AM »
:rollin I seriously cannot fathom how much of the internet chatter about the trailer is about that one fucking shot.

It's pretty funny....I tried to explain it to my father in law yesterday.....the debate over the hilt on the light saber......he looked at me as if he wanted to beat me silly in the hopes my pain would reach everyone involved in the discussion...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2467 on: November 29, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »
Maybe this Sith is simply a Christian?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grizz

« Reply #2468 on: November 29, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
There seems to be a large number action movie tropes/cliches which concerns me.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2469 on: November 29, 2014, 09:48:49 AM »
Seriously it's sort of embarrassing. I mean the teaser didn't really give anything but that is what people are going to talk about?
Are you really that surprised?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2470 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
I saw Debra complaining about that on Facebook, and thought WTF. It's a sword shape. Are swords a Christian thing?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: November 29, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
If anything it's an upside down cross.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2472 on: November 29, 2014, 10:15:18 AM »
I saw Debra complaining about that on Facebook, and thought WTF. It's a sword shape. Are swords a Christian thing?

That's what gave me the idea for the joke.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2474 on: November 29, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »

That's what gave me the idea for the joke.
Ah, gotcha! :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2475 on: November 29, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
The biggest complaint people come up with is "WELL IF HE MESSES UP HE'LL SLICE HIS HAND OFF WEH"

I'm pretty sure somebody who uses that would be trained or have trained themselves not to do that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2476 on: November 29, 2014, 10:51:25 AM »

Millenium Falcon shot stabilised. :tup:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2477 on: November 29, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
:tup
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2478 on: November 29, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
But because the laser beams are uprised from the handle wouldn't they just cut through?

They're not laser beams!

Okay, but I think I get your point.  The little "hilt beams" are projected from generators mounted on the sides, which could just be sliced through by the opponent's beam.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2479 on: November 29, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »
I didn't think about the whole 'sliding/hand protection' deal, that totally makes sense now.

But the real plot twist of this movie is gonna be that this badass dude in the shot is secretly a lumberjack, wanting to rid that planet of all it's trees.

"IT'S TREE CUTTIN' TIME!" *vwoom*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2480 on: November 29, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »

They're not laser beams!

Okay, but I think I get your point.  The little "hilt beams" are projected from generators mounted on the sides, which could just be sliced through by the opponent's beam.
But laserzzzzz!  :blob: Sry, your right though.

A detail I don't really care about but it's fun nerding out on details though.  :)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2481 on: November 29, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »
Whatever I may think about the light sabre design, I must say that it is an absolutely beautifully composed shot. Props to both Abrams for that directing and to the actor who just completely nails that bad ass walk and the movements.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2482 on: November 29, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »
Definitely. I've been staring at that gif for a while.

Consequently, I now have an erection.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2483 on: November 29, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Whatever I may think about the light sabre design, I must say that it is an absolutely beautifully composed shot. Props to both Abrams for that directing and to the actor who just completely nails that bad ass walk and the movements.

Yeah, I want to 2nd that.

That shot is beautiful beyond words. Menacing, dark and badass all in one moment. LOVE IT. This dude is not to messed with.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2484 on: November 29, 2014, 12:10:36 PM »
Yea it's a really cool shot!