Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 460676 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1260 on: June 11, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
True, but there is also a difference between the story and the plot, and differing opinions on which is which.  To me, the basic story is of a guy who started off good, with good intentions, who through a series of tragedies and lack of proper guidance, became something very, very evil.  That's not a bad story right there, if a bit cliché.

It's how it all played out that most people have trouble with.  I think of that as the plot.  Or hell, maybe that's the story and the outline is the plot.  Which is which?

I think the story and plot are very much intertwined.  I was under the impression that when people refer to "story" rather than the plot, is that the "story" includes the thematic elements in addition to plot.  But I may be off base.

The "basic story" you describe of the prequels is one shared by literally thousands of works of fiction.  It's not a useful descriptor, because it's so vague and reductive.  By boiling down the entirety of what happens to a couple of words, one can make anything sound like anything else, or sound compelling.  Just to give two other noteworty (and visual examples), The Godfather films and Breaking Bad both share the same "basic story."  But they are both very different (and far superior), because when you're working off the basis of something as simple as that, execution is 99%. 

If we're going to be this vague, one could just as easily apply the "Well, the core story is good!" argument to loads of other dreck.  Twilight, or Battleship, or that endless string of awful parody movies, etc.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1261 on: June 11, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
But that's still essentially true.  Movies often get made because there's just enough "core story" to string together a series of explosions or car crashes or tit scenes or dudes beating the shit out of each other.  Whatever you have.  Sometimes movies get made because they really do tell a great story.  Anakin Skywalker's basic story isn't bad, it really is the execution that sucked.  The dialogue.  The missing scenes that would've made his motivations more clear.  The too-many scenes of crap because Lucas thought it was really a love story or something.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't know the difference between "story" and "plot" other than that I'm sure they mean different things.  ???

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1262 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00:49 PM »
From what I can tell, you guys are basically right.  A story is a journey a character goes through.  The plot is simply what happens.

The story in the prequels is wrong, and the plot is a mess.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1263 on: July 03, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1264 on: July 03, 2012, 08:50:10 PM »
"You'll always shoot first with Hahn."  :biggrin:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1265 on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
One of those weird things - even though my oldest daughter has all 6 episodes on DVD, I watched portions of AOTC and ROTS this past week while Spike was airing them. As I watch, I'm trying to decide with my wife (who is only half-watching and not much of a fan) is Christensen REALLY that shitty of an actor, or is it mostly Lucas' writing and directing? Or is it 50-50? Impossible to tell really, I just know my youngest daughter, all of 13, was making fun of his acting.  :facepalm:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1266 on: July 06, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »
Hayden was quite good in Shattered Glass. I blame mostly Lucas for having no clue how to direct actors (as everyone who has worked with him has said). But Hayden clearly didn't understand the character either.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: July 06, 2012, 01:53:28 PM »
Plus shooting entirely on Green Screen can't motivate you as an actor very well. As Ewen Mcgregor has said many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlc01vH8kLU&t=8m01s

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: July 06, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »
But Hayden clearly didn't understand the character either.

I've seen Episodes 1-3 probably 3 times each and I don't understand that character either.

Is Darth Malak the most annoyingly difficult enemy in the history of video games?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1269 on: July 06, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
I never had trouble understanding Anakin, I love his character actually, but Hayden definitely didn't have a whole hell of a lot to go on. 

And yes, he was good in Shattered Glass despite being overshadowed by Peter Sarsgaard.  People who knew Glass in real life said the performance was spot on.  There are a lot of great actors in the prequels but a lot of flat performances.

Online Adami

« Reply #1270 on: July 06, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
Yea I'd say that when you have Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Jar Jar Binx, and Samuel L. Jackson in movies and still can only get mediocre performances at best, then the fault is with Lucas.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1271 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »
Yea I'd say that when you have Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Jar Jar Binx, and Samuel L. Jackson in movies and still can only get mediocre performances at best, then the fault is with Lucas.

You sly devil.  Well I blame Lucas anyway.  His love scenes were the worst in history.  Even deaf people shuttered.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1272 on: July 07, 2012, 01:15:51 PM »
I'll take it one step further:

Lucas didn't understand the character of Anakin.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1273 on: July 07, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »
Christensen was badly miscast.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Adami

« Reply #1274 on: July 07, 2012, 04:43:32 PM »

While I agree....I gotta ask, who would you have cast? Is there really anyone who would have delivered those lines better and have been a better Anakin based solely on the already written scripts?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1275 on: July 07, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »

Or even some of the bit parts by good actors/actresses like Rose Byrne.

While I agree....I gotta ask, who would you have cast? Is there really anyone who would have delivered those lines better and have been a better Anakin based solely on the already written scripts?

That's the dilemma, nobody has really ever offered a viable alternative.  Early talks were about Leo DiCaprio and nobody liked the idea and thought it would be an awful choice, and at the time, it likely would have been since that was pre-Scorcese and Nolan Leo.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1276 on: July 07, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
I would have liked to see what Tom Hardy would have done with the role. He just has a presence about him where I respect and find him captivating.

Hayden on the other hand, I just don't find appealing, whether its Star Wars or any of his other work.

Online Adami

« Reply #1277 on: July 07, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
I would have liked to see what Tom Hardy would have done with the role. He just has a presence about him where I respect and find him somewhat captivating.

Hayden on the other hand, I just don't find appealing, whether its Star Wars or any of his other work.

Considering how terrible he was in Star Trek, I doubt he would have been any better in Star Wars. And I like Tom Hardy, but he's still bound by the script and directing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1278 on: July 07, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »

Well, the character wasn't well written at all, but I think Hayden was a dud. He's not how I pictured Anakin. There isn't a known actor I can think of who would have worked, but Hayden wasn't really that well known either.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Adami

« Reply #1279 on: July 07, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
It depends on how he's written. As it is, Anakin is written poorly and can't be played as anything other than what we have seen.

However thinking about it now, I would have removed the overly emotional whiny kid angle. I would have had young Anakin be an idealist and a romantic who is forced to rid himself of emotions by the Jedi. As he then grows emotionless, he uses his cold logic to determine that the Jedi must be exterminated in order to bring about a perfect sense of order. It would also play much more into the Darth Vader we knew from the other movies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1280 on: July 07, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
It depends on how he's written. As it is, Anakin is written poorly and can't be played as anything other than what we have seen.

For me, Hayden's acting was just dull and lifeless. Somebody with more spark could inject some life into the bad dialogue, so I could say "What a poorly done character, but at least the acting's great!" The original trilogy has some corny lines, but the cast was more charismatic. And Ewan McGregor was great as Obi-Wan, but didn't have the best material to work with. But yeah, maybe Lucas wanted a dull, lifeless Anakin, so any actor in the role would have been pretty similar.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1281 on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:59 AM »
It wouldn't have mattered who was casted in the role of Anakin. The problems were already present in the Phantom Menace. When you have actors like Liam Neeson, Ewan MacGregor and Natalie Portman who all had excellent performances in the past and now all three have lifeless, uninspired characters here, it's no longer a question of who you cast but of Russian Roulette. You could have cast Patrick Steward in the role and I bet it wouldn't have changed a thing. Granted, Hayden isn't established like the three I mentioned above, but I have heard he has potential. Anakin was just a poorly written and conceived character the minute Lucas decided he wanted to flesh out his past. As mentioned his whiny attitude, complete disregard for any authority, self-centered, self righteous attitude (same issues with the new James Kirk mind you) pretty much guaranteed that most people will simply try and pretend this character profile does not exist.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1282 on: July 08, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
But Hayden clearly didn't understand the character either.
Is Darth Malak the most annoyingly difficult enemy in the history of video games?
What? He's easy. Just destroy the "human batteries" he uses.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1283 on: July 15, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
Found this over at my parents house:

Now to track down the other two.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1284 on: July 15, 2012, 07:30:29 PM »

:lol
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1285 on: July 15, 2012, 07:39:34 PM »
Well, Jar Jar has been good in every other movie I've seen him in.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1286 on: July 15, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
 :rollin

Seriously... Jar Jar is a perfect example of how sometimes a 'comic relief' character can go terribly wrong.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1287 on: July 15, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
It's Binks, not Binx. The more you know.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1288 on: July 15, 2012, 08:45:44 PM »
Skids and Mudflap.  :azn:

Online Adami

« Reply #1289 on: July 15, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

I might talk smack about the Star Wars prequels, but Transformers 2 is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life that wasn't trying to be bad. I'd rather watch the prequels over and over than Transformers 2.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1290 on: July 15, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »

They were supposed to be comic relief?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1291 on: July 15, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »

I might talk smack about the Star Wars prequels, but Transformers 2 is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life that wasn't trying to be bad. I'd rather watch the prequels over and over than Transformers 2.

...Implying that the prequels were trying to be bad?

They were supposed to be comic relief?

I gotta second that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Adami

« Reply #1292 on: July 15, 2012, 09:10:48 PM »

...Implying that the prequels were trying to be bad?

Not at all. Implying that Transformers 2 was immensely worse than any of the prequels.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1293 on: July 15, 2012, 09:37:41 PM »
Found this over at my parents house:

Now to track down the other two.

Sweet!

Han shot first.

:P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1294 on: July 15, 2012, 09:39:29 PM »
Speaking of which, I was going through some old records at my grandparents' house (my girlfriend got me a record player for my birthday a year ago and it finally occurred to me to ask if they had some records), and I found the original 1977 soundtrack. I'm gonna go get it from them next week.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: