Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 491629 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2485 on: October 07, 2016, 01:54:50 PM »
After getting Sanctum from Reap, I've been playing it a little and I'm really bad at it. :lol The third map is already fucking me up, I don't think I've quite gotten behind how to best use your resources.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2486 on: October 07, 2016, 03:25:14 PM »
I guess Return to Arkham comes out next week.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2487 on: October 07, 2016, 03:34:48 PM »
I'll probably have a few more games coming up in this thread, I have some more doubles that I've found.

Offline adace

« Reply #2488 on: October 08, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »
Mafia 3 is pretty meh. The graphics need a lot of polish, the main missions are repetitive and boring and overall it feels like this kind of thing has already been done much better by GTA 5. On the other hand, the story is really compelling and the characters/dialogue are pretty strong.

Next week is Gears of War 4. Never been a huge fan of the series but I've played and enjoyed all the games so far so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2489 on: October 09, 2016, 06:41:19 AM »
So I think I've finally found out how Sanctum is meant to be played (though accepting that my laptop can't run this with detail settings on high might have played a part too). Played the first level again and didn't have any trouble at all - let's see if this translates to the level I'm currently stuck on. I have to say, the game is really fun and it's definitely amazingly designed. I really like how the tower defense and the FPS angles fit together seamlessy, with neither part taking precedence over the other.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2490 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:52 AM »
Scorpion you're really making me want to play Sanctum :lol

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #2491 on: October 09, 2016, 09:39:13 AM »
Mafia 3 is pretty meh. The graphics need a lot of polish, the main missions are repetitive and boring and overall it feels like this kind of thing has already been done much better by GTA 5. On the other hand, the story is really compelling and the characters/dialogue are pretty strong.

Well, that sucks. I rarely play games anymore because there's so few that aren't sci-fi/fantasy and FPS military games. I'll probably check it out just out of curiosity, though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2492 on: October 09, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »
Scorpion you're really making me want to play Sanctum :lol

Do it! Such a fun game, really glad that I decided to get it from you. :P

I finished the second map with 100% health remaining as well, I think I'm now well and truly ready to tackle Arc again. Let's hope that I make it this time.

EDIT: Yay! Finally managed Arc, and only on one wave did any enemies at all go through. Now onto Glade - this looks like a bitch with the two sides to defend simultaneoulsy.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:33:37 AM by Scorpion »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2493 on: October 11, 2016, 08:55:58 PM »
IF YOU PURCHASED A SONY “FAT” PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT CONSOLE BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1, 2006 AND APRIL 1, 2010, A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT MAY AFFECT YOU
The sole purpose of this notice is to inform you of the settlement so that you can decide what to do.

A proposed settlement has been reached in the nationwide class action lawsuit, In re Sony PS3 “Other OS” Litigation, United States District Court, Northern District of California, Case No. C-10-1811 (YGR). This lawsuit challenges the decision to disable the Other OS functionality from “Fat” PS3 computer entertainment consoles through Firmware Update 3.21, released on April 1, 2010. “Fat” PS3 consoles were consoles manufactured with the ability to install a Linux operating system as an alternative to the game operating system. Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC (“SCEA”) is the defendant and denies all allegations.
If the settlement is approved and you are a Class Member, you may be eligible to submit a claim for benefits. This litigation involves two classes. Consumer Class A is all persons in the United States who purchased a Fat PS3 between November 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010 from an authorized retailer for family, personal and/or household use and used the Other OS functionality after installation of a Linux operating system. Consumer Class B is all persons in the United States who purchased a Fat PS3 between November 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010 from an authorized retailer for family, personal and/or household use. The benefit for both classes is monetary, $55 (for Consumer Class A) or $9 (for Consumer Class B). The deadline for submitting claim forms is December 7, 2016. Claim forms and exemplars of acceptable forms of proof of use for each category in Consumer Class A are available on the Settlement Website or may be obtained by calling the Settlement Administrator.
You may choose to exclude yourself from the settlement by sending your name, address, PS3 serial number and PSN Network ID along with a statement that you wish to be excluded to the Settlement Administrator at the address below. If you exclude yourself, you will not receive anything but will retain your right to sue. You may also object to the settlement with the option to appear at the final approval hearing with your own attorney at your cost. If you do nothing or object to the settlement, you will be bound by its terms and cannot later sue SCEA. All exclusion requests and objections must be submitted by December 7, 2016.

Please contact the Settlement Administrator at the below address or visit: www.OtherOsSettlement.com for more information. The Settlement Administrator is:
In re Sony PS3 “Other OS” Litigation
c/o Garden City Group, LLC
P.O. Box 10312
Dublin, OH 43017-5912

Anyone else receive this e-mail? sounds like a scam but I'm not sure.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2494 on: October 12, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »
Oh yeah, I totally forgot you were originally supposed to be able to install Linux on your PS3. Not sure why you would though.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: October 12, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »
IF YOU PURCHASED A SONY “FAT” PLAYSTATION 3 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT CONSOLE BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1, 2006 AND APRIL 1, 2010, A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT MAY AFFECT YOU
The sole purpose of this notice is to inform you of the settlement so that you can decide what to do.

A proposed settlement has been reached in the nationwide class action lawsuit, In re Sony PS3 “Other OS” Litigation, United States District Court, Northern District of California, Case No. C-10-1811 (YGR). This lawsuit challenges the decision to disable the Other OS functionality from “Fat” PS3 computer entertainment consoles through Firmware Update 3.21, released on April 1, 2010. “Fat” PS3 consoles were consoles manufactured with the ability to install a Linux operating system as an alternative to the game operating system. Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC (“SCEA”) is the defendant and denies all allegations.
If the settlement is approved and you are a Class Member, you may be eligible to submit a claim for benefits. This litigation involves two classes. Consumer Class A is all persons in the United States who purchased a Fat PS3 between November 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010 from an authorized retailer for family, personal and/or household use and used the Other OS functionality after installation of a Linux operating system. Consumer Class B is all persons in the United States who purchased a Fat PS3 between November 1, 2006 and April 1, 2010 from an authorized retailer for family, personal and/or household use. The benefit for both classes is monetary, $55 (for Consumer Class A) or $9 (for Consumer Class B). The deadline for submitting claim forms is December 7, 2016. Claim forms and exemplars of acceptable forms of proof of use for each category in Consumer Class A are available on the Settlement Website or may be obtained by calling the Settlement Administrator.
You may choose to exclude yourself from the settlement by sending your name, address, PS3 serial number and PSN Network ID along with a statement that you wish to be excluded to the Settlement Administrator at the address below. If you exclude yourself, you will not receive anything but will retain your right to sue. You may also object to the settlement with the option to appear at the final approval hearing with your own attorney at your cost. If you do nothing or object to the settlement, you will be bound by its terms and cannot later sue SCEA. All exclusion requests and objections must be submitted by December 7, 2016.

Please contact the Settlement Administrator at the below address or visit: www.OtherOsSettlement.com for more information. The Settlement Administrator is:
In re Sony PS3 “Other OS” Litigation
c/o Garden City Group, LLC
P.O. Box 10312
Dublin, OH 43017-5912

Anyone else receive this e-mail? sounds like a scam but I'm not sure.

I think this is legit.  People were really mad because Sony advertised this capability and then took it away in updates.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot you were originally supposed to be able to install Linux on your PS3. Not sure why you would though.

The PS3 could be used as a very powerful for price linux machine.  Some computer scientists were able to use multiple PS3s to build super computers for a cheap (comparatively) price.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2496 on: October 12, 2016, 06:25:10 AM »
That's funny, given that the PS3 was really expensive back when it was released. :lol But very interesting!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2497 on: October 12, 2016, 06:29:51 AM »
That's funny, given that the PS3 was really expensive back when it was released. :lol But very interesting!

It was, for a video game console, but for a powerful server it was not.  The PS3 had some very good specs (hence the high price tag) when it was first released.

https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html
The Condor Cluster project began four years ago, when PlayStation consoles cost about $400 each. At the same time, comparable technology would have cost about $10,000 per unit. Overall, the PS3s for the supercomputer’s core cost about $2 million. According to AFRL Director of High Power Computing Mark Barnell, that cost is about 5-10% of the cost of an equivalent system built with off-the-shelf computer parts.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2498 on: October 14, 2016, 07:15:23 AM »
Playstation VR was just made available on Amazon Prime and I just spent $700 building a new RC monster truck. Preorders have been sold out for months everywhere, so I figured it would have been next to impossible find them in the weeks/months following launch. Tis' a sad day  :'(

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2499 on: October 14, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »
I hear the screen is very good compared to the Vive and Rift, because it has 3 subpixels per pixel instead of only 2 with the pentile displays in the Vive and Rift.

I think that PS VR will be invaluable in converting the masses to VR (no one who tries it will think this is just another fad, albeit early in its lifecycle a la the first smartphones).

That said, I'm loving room scale with the Vive I picked up last week. And I also prefer the PC ecosystem that will make iterative hardware upgrades easier, as well as provide a larger variety of experiences as VR matures.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2500 on: October 15, 2016, 01:09:20 AM »
I hear the screen is very good compared to the Vive and Rift, because it has 3 subpixels per pixel instead of only 2 with the pentile displays in the Vive and Rift.

I think that PS VR will be invaluable in converting the masses to VR (no one who tries it will think this is just another fad, albeit early in its lifecycle a la the first smartphones).

That said, I'm loving room scale with the Vive I picked up last week. And I also prefer the PC ecosystem that will make iterative hardware upgrades easier, as well as provide a larger variety of experiences as VR matures.

I agree. Also the motion tracking is apparently much better for the Vive/Rift since they're using specifically made solutions, rather than being adapted to the existing cameras that weren't designed with VR in mind. Not to mention that the PC hardware is far superior.
But I think Sony have done a fantastic job of getting VR out to the masses right now with as little additional hardware as possible in a relatively cheap and well designed headset, utilizing the existing Move controllers and camera, plus managing to squeeze the higher graphical demands and framerates out of the PS4 hardware. Hopefully it helps cement VR and convinces people that we're finally at a point where this isn't a fad, plus gives us more games from big developers.
Also, the Rift's motion controls are coming out in December, and there are some good looking new games coming out for that.

So by the end of the year, we should have at least 3 complete VR options. It's been a big year for VR, and I expect next year will be more about bringing the software than the hardware.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2501 on: October 15, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
I'm playing Undertale, and still waiting for it to get good - it's been kinda boring so far tbh.
Yeah couldn't be bothered to finish it, so now I'm gonna go with Silent Hill 3.

Offline adace

« Reply #2502 on: October 16, 2016, 01:26:57 AM »
Just finished Gears of War 4. Love it! From the new weapons to the new enemies to the characters and story, this is just an awesome game. Possibly my favorite in the series, which is a bit surprising considering a different studio made this one. Really hope they make another one.

But this week is the main event: Battlefield 1. So pumped :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2503 on: October 16, 2016, 07:22:34 AM »
I already made a Battlefield 1 video.  I got 3 more hours to play before the full game prerelease on Tuesday

https://youtu.be/ykIMM6BqEkw

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2504 on: October 16, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
I can't wait to get my hands on Battlefield 1

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2505 on: October 16, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »
Rockstar just posted a red R* logo which many speculate is related to the sequel to Red Dead Redemption.  :corn

Edit: Well it's pretty much confirmed then  :lol https://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption2
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2506 on: October 16, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »
Yea I saw that on reddit. I still need to play red dead redemption :lol

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2507 on: October 16, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »
So I discovered this game on Steam that I really want to try once I get a computer that can run it, called Elite: Dangerous. Basically what No Man's Sky should have been.

This guy has the best gameplay videos of it, mostly because he's pretty much the best pilot of the game. Watch some.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: October 16, 2016, 04:13:16 PM »
Elite is a lot of fun. It was really tough to get a handle with keyboard + mouse but once I got my steam controller it was a lot easier to play.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2509 on: October 17, 2016, 05:42:29 AM »

Yeah, I'm super hyped for the PSVR! I think the timing with the PS4 Pro is also really interesting - I think it's quite obvious that Sony wanted a more powerful system to go with the VR, so that's why have the PS4 Pro released at about the same time.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2510 on: October 17, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »
I'm about 4 weeks into my second play through of Red Dead Redemption and I'm loving it just as much as I did originally. I can't even imagine how awesome the sequel will be on the current systems.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2511 on: October 17, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
I'm about 4 weeks into my second play through of Red Dead Redemption and I'm loving it just as much as I did originally. I can't even imagine how awesome the sequel will be on the current systems.

Not to one-up you or anything but I'm currently on my 5th play-through of the game and 3rd of Undead Nightmare!
Rockstar games is teasing the sequel now on facebook and twitter, they posted this today:

However the picture they posted on facebook makes me worried they might try to pull off some GTA5 style bull shit and force me to play the campaign with multiple characters, something I hated profoundly as it completely prevents any immersion in the game for me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2512 on: October 18, 2016, 01:20:27 AM »
So I caved in and bought a PlayStation VR yesterday...and first impressions are VERY good. I'm really impressed! I just played a couple of demos and it was breathtaking, to say the least. I can't wait to play a proper full game for it.  :metal

However, the cinema mode, that allows you to see regular content, did not impress me that much. Every game that does not support VR, or YouTube or Netflix, is shown on like a big screen, surrounded by black space. It kinda feels like going to the cinema, but the thing that made me a bit disappointed with it was that the low resolution became really apparent here. Which I guess is the big drawback to the PSVR, in comparision to the other VR solutions.

However, the FPS was really stable and I didn't even notice anything wrong with the resolution for the VR content. So I couldn't be happier with my purchase. :)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2513 on: October 18, 2016, 01:26:56 AM »
R* you better release RDR 2 on PC this time.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2514 on: October 18, 2016, 06:40:38 AM »
So I caved in and bought a PlayStation VR yesterday...and first impressions are VERY good. I'm really impressed! I just played a couple of demos and it was breathtaking, to say the least. I can't wait to play a proper full game for it.  :metal

However, the cinema mode, that allows you to see regular content, did not impress me that much. Every game that does not support VR, or YouTube or Netflix, is shown on like a big screen, surrounded by black space. It kinda feels like going to the cinema, but the thing that made me a bit disappointed with it was that the low resolution became really apparent here. Which I guess is the big drawback to the PSVR, in comparision to the other VR solutions.

However, the FPS was really stable and I didn't even notice anything wrong with the resolution for the VR content. So I couldn't be happier with my purchase. :)

I threw up a few of my RC trucks onto Craigslist yesterday to get some funds for this. I'm too impatient. Did you get the motion controllers too?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2515 on: October 18, 2016, 06:46:33 AM »

I threw up a few of my RC trucks onto Craigslist yesterday to get some funds for this. I'm too impatient. Did you get the motion controllers too?
No, the package that contained it all was sold out, so I ended up getting just the VR and the camera. I will probably buy the motion controllers later.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2516 on: October 18, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »
It'll be interesting to watch and read the reviews on the early adopters.  I plan on sitting on the bench for this for at least another year.  This year I plan on getting my gtx 1080 and next year if VR is doing well, then maybe I jump in.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:11:34 AM by cramx3 »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2517 on: October 18, 2016, 08:10:38 AM »

Not to one-up you or anything but I'm currently on my 5th play-through of the game and 3rd of Undead Nightmare!
Rockstar games is teasing the sequel now on facebook and twitter, they posted this today:

However the picture they posted on facebook makes me worried they might try to pull off some GTA5 style bull shit and force me to play the campaign with multiple characters, something I hated profoundly as it completely prevents any immersion in the game for me.

Red Redemption 2 officially announced! Coming Fall 2017 with a trailer dropping this Thursday!

I remember liking Undead Nightmare but I think I was so burnt out on the game when I played it that I would have liked it more if I waited a bit to play it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2518 on: October 18, 2016, 08:12:39 AM »
My game line up is pretty much set for the next year.

Currently playing Red Dead Redemption
Gears of War 4
Dragon Age Inquisitions (Finally getting around to this)
Mass Effect Andromeda
Skyrim Remastered
RDR 2

I also need to finish Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens and Unraveled at some point.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2519 on: October 18, 2016, 08:14:36 AM »
 :metal :metal

Although doesn't say anything about being on PC, which would be a major disappointment. It does say:

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

The online could be amazing.  But if it's not on PC, I may not play at all.