Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488930 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1960 on: February 10, 2016, 12:09:56 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1961 on: February 15, 2016, 04:04:59 AM »
Few screenshots I took of the new Tomb Raider:

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1962 on: February 15, 2016, 05:48:52 AM »
Even though I was pissed they did that whole time-exclusive thing for Xbox, I just know I won't be able to resist it when it finally hits the PS4. I loved the previous title too much.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: February 16, 2016, 08:28:45 AM »
Started playing the new Tomb Raider on PC, it's amazing.  So beautiful and the gameplay is well done.  There is also plenty to do to keep busy with playing the game.  Worth the money.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1964 on: February 17, 2016, 03:36:57 PM »
Fantastic news, cramx3. I really enjoyed the last one...I'll need to pick this up.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1965 on: February 18, 2016, 02:58:06 AM »
Started playing the new Tomb Raider on PC, it's amazing.  So beautiful and the gameplay is well done.  There is also plenty to do to keep busy with playing the game.  Worth the money.
I agree that it's breathtakingly beautiful at times. The valley area with the snowy mountain at distance is my favourite area. The character movement is spot on and a big leap from the early games, although the camera angels can be a bit annoying at times.
I'm going to be grumpy about basically three things though.

First: The human NPCs are just plain dumb and they basically level the difficulty by just throwing waves of enemies at you. It gets very repetitive at times and I just feel the game centers to much on running around shooting people than exploring. The whole you versus a missile shooting attack chooper felt so incredibly lame for example. Yes you can de-route and explore tombs but for me that has always been the center of the games.

Second: I always loved the puzzels in the early games were you had to solve some riddle or moving things in the correct order in order to open a door or something, I usually got stuck but once you figured it out it was always a boost. Now days they just feel a bit samey and they also aren't "in lore" which I feel is important. Although there were some interesting tombs but for the most part nothing memorable imo.

Third: The quick time/reaction moments that usually serves  as dramatic boosts were you push buttons in correct order or timing jumps on falling blocks in order to not die gets really repetitive and annoying at times especially later in the game.

With that being said though I still enjoyed the game, I just love the quiet moments and exploring alot more than run around shooting bad guys.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:07:19 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1966 on: February 18, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
I am at like 26% completion, but I haven't gotten to a point yet where I feel it's been a lot of shooting bad guys.  There were a few parts like that, but what's nice is you can sort of play like the Batman games and be stealthy and strategize that way for the stealth kills.

The human NPCs are dumb, but I don't view the game as an RPG so this hasn't really bothered me.

I had also just finished beating Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris so I've been banging through challenge tombs a lot lately, I really liked both of them so far from what I have seen, but I am still early and have mostly focused on the main game and not side missions yet.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1967 on: February 19, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »
Just completed GTA 4 on the PC this week.  Yes, I'm behind times.  Bummed that it's over, but I snagged ELFC and just got started on TLAD.  Pretty cool so far.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1968 on: February 19, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »
Just completed GTA 4 on the PC this week.  Yes, I'm behind times.  Bummed that it's over, but I snagged ELFC and just got started on TLAD.  Pretty cool so far.

You need to play the Ballad of Gay Tony dlc. Easily the best and most fun set of missions in any GTA game IMO

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1969 on: February 19, 2016, 11:00:01 AM »
I bought the entire EFLC package from Amazon for like $16.  Has TLAD and TBGT on it.  Glad to hear TBGT is a good one, makes me glad I saved it for last.

I will say that playing GTA 4 on the PC is tough, when it comes to missions where you have to chase someone AND shoot at them at the same time.  I do all my driving controls with my right hand.  You use the mouse to move the camera and fire (or assign another key to fire).  This makes it VERY hard to shoot at anybody, since the camera angle gets so wonky.  Instead of firing at the target, you'll fire in whichever direction the camera happens to be facing, i.e. if you just turned a corner or something.  So I tried a little to get used to driving with my left hand and using the mouse with my right hand and just can't get the hang of it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1970 on: February 19, 2016, 11:37:26 AM »
oh sweet, yea GTA with keyboard and mouse takes some time and practice to really master.  You can always use a wired xbox controller too. (or wireless if you get the USB adapter)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1971 on: February 19, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »
Now, the older ones, 3, VC, and SA - I had very few problems with playing those with keyboard and mouse.  Did well, actually.  I attempted to play VC Stories on the PS2 and had a really hard time adapting to the use of the controller.

Also, races are the bane of my existence.  In GTA 4, I didn't do any of Brucie's street races.  I had a hard enough time completing the last Brucie mission that set up the street races.  At least the Sunshine Autos races in VC were easy, in that you could just blow the other cars up with a rocket launcher, then complete the entire race solo.  :lol

Also, the Catch the Wave mission in GTA 4 (where you storm the Russians' warehouse with Phil Bell, then steal the boats) made me angrier than hell.  The moron kept running in and getting himself killed.  So frustrating having to do ALL of the driving that started that mission, over and over again.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1972 on: February 19, 2016, 11:44:05 AM »
I would pay the full $60 if Rockstar remade Vice City off the GTA-V platform.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1973 on: February 19, 2016, 11:53:03 AM »
Hell. Yes.

Even if they did it off the GTA 4 platform.

Vice City is the only GTA that I ever took to 100% completion (all side missions, jumps, random shit, etc.).  PCJ Playground was an absolute BITCH.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1974 on: February 19, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »
Ditto! Loved me some VC back in the day. I'd play it!

I've literally not even reached the halfway point in GTAV and use it strictly to fuck around in. Which, granted, is pretty damn fun; but even that waxes and wanes pretty often.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1975 on: February 19, 2016, 12:12:52 PM »
I wouldn't even care if the next GTA didn't have a campaign. I only play online these days.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1976 on: February 19, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »
I don't really like people very much, so the online play would be useless for me, unfortunately.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: February 19, 2016, 01:44:51 PM »
The single player is still fun enough that I'd want it, but the online mode is a ton of fun and they just keep adding free content.  It's really great how they treated the online mode. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1978 on: February 19, 2016, 08:51:55 PM »

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1979 on: February 19, 2016, 08:55:18 PM »
I don't really like people very much, so the online play would be useless for me, unfortunately.

Useless to me too. Never bothered with online gaming, except a few times when over at a friend's house years ago. Plus it's just lazy game design. Give me an actual game.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: February 20, 2016, 07:22:12 AM »

Useless to me too. Never bothered with online gaming, except a few times when over at a friend's house years ago. Plus it's just lazy game design. Give me an actual game.

Not lazy at all, the online Heist are very well done and probably more fun than the single player missions (assuming you are playing with people who know what they are doing)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1981 on: February 20, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »

Not lazy at all, the online Heist are very well done and probably more fun than the single player missions (assuming you are playing with people who know what they are doing)

I just meant the idea of having no single player gameplay, relying only on online gameplay. I wouldn't say there's currently anything lazy about GTA 5 at all, either online or offline, but still I think it would be a poor decision to have no single player content, and I doubt they'd do it anyway because it's such a big part of the experience.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1982 on: February 20, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
Oh yea, agreed then.  That was the biggest problem with Star Wars Battlefront, although I find myself playing Blast mode very often these days since I somehow started becoming really good at it.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1983 on: February 21, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »

Oh god, I`m extremely jealous. FE:F doesn`t even have a release date in Europe yet!!! I cannot wait any longer while the rest of the world can already enjoy the game.

PS: lol I don`t even have one New 3DS, but I would throw all my money at the FE:F 3DS if it`s released in Europe.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:13:52 PM by wizard of Thought »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1984 on: February 22, 2016, 12:07:27 AM »
The gently used Fleshlight in the background is going for $17 obo just to let you know.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1985 on: February 22, 2016, 12:45:03 AM »
The gently used Fleshlight in the background is going for $17 obo just to let you know.
Aw yeah, that's my kind of PlayStation.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1986 on: February 22, 2016, 01:01:51 AM »
The blast processing comes from the user.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1987 on: February 22, 2016, 01:53:08 AM »
:zydar:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1988 on: February 22, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
Mario Kart Wii is literally the fucking worst game.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1989 on: February 22, 2016, 05:57:10 PM »
Sometimes I feel like that.

After a long losing streak and/or many butt fucks by blue shells.

But mostly it's amazing.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1990 on: February 22, 2016, 06:01:30 PM »
The controls are dog shit, there's no sense of speed, and it looks terrible, it's just a terrible entry to a great series. I just think of Mario Kart 8 and how that's actually a good game the entire time I sit through that game.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1991 on: February 22, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »
I hope they put out more DLC for MK8. It's such a landmark title in the series the way SMB3 was for Mario and MM2 was for Megaman so I have very little hope that MK9 will be as exciting. I think it can build upon 8's foundation and be a legitimately better game but part of what's made 8 be as incredible as it is is the fact that it's both a phenomenal game and also a ridiculous improvement on all other previous games in the series aside from Double Dash's cool teamup mode and 8's lack of a good battle mode.

I just see it as being some insurmountable task expecting 9 to be both great and distance itself from all prior entries. I just wanna get as much out of 8 before we move on and also another DLC pack (or two, the way they staggered the other one six months apart) can keep the online community way hype while they take as much time as necessary to make 9 a real gem.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1992 on: February 22, 2016, 08:22:31 PM »
Oh oops, I thought that was referencing 8. I forgot there was an actual game called MKWii, which I've never played.  :lol I still call the WiiU just 'Wii' most of the time...eh.
That was during my break from gaming for a bit. I play 8 all the time with my 5 year old buddy and he kicks my ass constantly. Or the aforementioned shit luck does.

RIP DTP.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #1993 on: February 24, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
New Dark Souls 3 trailer is out today! Commence the hype, or nah?
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline Cable

« Reply #1994 on: February 25, 2016, 11:27:05 PM »
I hope they put out more DLC for MK8. It's such a landmark title in the series the way SMB3 was for Mario and MM2 was for Megaman so I have very little hope that MK9 will be as exciting. I think it can build upon 8's foundation and be a legitimately better game but part of what's made 8 be as incredible as it is is the fact that it's both a phenomenal game and also a ridiculous improvement on all other previous games in the series aside from Double Dash's cool teamup mode and 8's lack of a good battle mode.

I just see it as being some insurmountable task expecting 9 to be both great and distance itself from all prior entries. I just wanna get as much out of 8 before we move on and also another DLC pack (or two, the way they staggered the other one six months apart) can keep the online community way hype while they take as much time as necessary to make 9 a real gem.

I'm kind of bummed I missed out on 8. I played the heck out of MKWii. From everything I read and saw, MK8 refined the heck out of a lot, made it a bit more skill based  and so on. The blue shells added up to many cheap wins for the computer.
---