Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 704631 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4025 on: January 08, 2020, 11:24:33 AM »

To even try to compare NU QR  to old QR is silly  there is nothing in common live etc.

I wouldn't call it silly. They still have a majority songwriter from their metal years (Wilton), and their bass player who has grown into a really good songwriter (Jackson). So there is plenty in common, which is why people like myself and others still keep tabs on them, even if we're not fans of the current version of Queensryche.

I do get (I think) what you're trying to say...

Tate will ALWAYS been seen and thought of as Queensryche's singer -- as he should be. The original band will always be seen as Queensryche, because those five dudes invented the band's sound and had a lot of success. Their career followed a songwriting arc few bands these days have the luxury to follow. They were able to grow, expand, and evolve. And when Chris left, they tried continuing that, but it didn't quite work, and they've never really had a creative arc like that again (outside writers, then Tate leaving, Scott leaving, etc.).

So the different eras are really not the same, and the current Queensryche is far from the original lineup's vibe and template. But the comparisons aren't silly. They are natural. I happen to think they are very different bands (the current compared to the original) and not at all alike. But for casual fans (which make up many here at DTF) the difference isn't as noticeable.

I never saw Tate ever struggle period, have bad show, or blame "being sick"   before everyone goes beserk Im aware that the band did 1/4 step some of the old songs but to me it made no difference in enjoyment live and after 30 years Tates voice was still far superior to 90% of his peers of the same age and genre.  I even see Wiltons playing going down and nobody slags him, because nobody thinks hes that good anyway so hes never cut on

Well, I have seen Tate struggle. It just wasn't often. So if you didn't, then you're lucky. But Tate is by far more consistent, and always has been. Out of the 35 times or so I've seen Tate (either with QR or solo), I can count on one hand how many times he struggled. If you're a singer, you know -- shit happens. A frog in the throat, a cold that you have to sing around, touring life is a bitch. lol. As for slagging others, the singer is always front and center, so it is natural to narrow in on the singer. But I think anyone watching the band knows they aren't anywhere as tight live as they used to be.

p.s. shit, so many replies. I can't keep up! LOL
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4026 on: January 08, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »

To even try to compare NU QR  to old QR is silly  there is nothing in common live etc.

I wouldn't call it silly. They still have a majority songwriter from their metal years (Wilton), and their bass player who has grown into a really good songwriter (Jackson). So there is plenty in common, which is why people like myself and others still keep tabs on them, even if we're not fans of the current version of Queensryche.

I do get (I think) what you're trying to say...

Tate will ALWAYS been seen and thought of as Queensryche's singer -- as he should be. The original band will always be seen as Queensryche, because those five dudes invented the band's sound and had a lot of success. Their career followed a songwriting arc few bands these days have the luxury to follow. They were able to grow, expand, and evolve. And when Chris left, they tried continuing that, but it didn't quite work, and they've never really had a creative arc like that again (outside writers, then Tate leaving, Scott leaving, etc.).

So the different eras are really not the same, and the current Queensryche is far from the original lineup's vibe and template. But the comparisons aren't silly. They are natural. I happen to think they are very different bands (the current compared to the original) and not at all alike. But for casual fans (which make up many here at DTF) the difference isn't as noticeable.

I never saw Tate ever struggle period, have bad show, or blame "being sick"   before everyone goes beserk Im aware that the band did 1/4 step some of the old songs but to me it made no difference in enjoyment live and after 30 years Tates voice was still far superior to 90% of his peers of the same age and genre.  I even see Wiltons playing going down and nobody slags him, because nobody thinks hes that good anyway so hes never cut on

Well, I have seen Tate struggle. It just wasn't often. So if you didn't, then you're lucky. But Tate is by far more consistent, and always has been. Out of the 35 times or so I've seen Tate (either with QR or solo), I can count on one hand how many times he struggled. If you're a singer, you know -- shit happens. A frog in the throat, a cold that you have to sing around, touring life is a bitch. lol. As for slagging others, the singer is always front and center, so it is natural to narrow in on the singer. But I think anyone watching the band knows they aren't anywhere as tight live as they used to be.

p.s. shit, so many replies. I can't keep up! LOL

again we agree,,, :  )  you must be a "Tate Fan boy!!"  I JEST!!!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4027 on: January 08, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »

No, he is someone who takes the time to articulate his thoughts, uses the proper meaning of words, and isn't a troll.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4028 on: January 08, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »

I'm as far from a Tate fan boy as you can be. I just prefer the tonal quality of his voice to La Torre's. That's all there really is to it. I find Tate to be a better overall singer. La Torre just has more range. Neither one of them is perfect these days.

No, he is someone who takes the time to articulate his thoughts, uses the proper meaning of words, and isn't a troll.

Thanks bosk.  :)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4029 on: January 08, 2020, 11:32:44 AM »
I would say this about the two eras of the band.

One of my biggest musical regrets is not accepting the version of Black Sabbath of the late 80's/early 90's. I was appalled that they would even call it Black Sabbath. I turned my back on it. Which is too bad, because that band toured a lot, had really good albums, and had some interesting members.

With the TLT Era QR, it's obviously NOT Queensryche, with all due respect to Wilton. That's like Mark Kendall's Great White, or Oliver-Dawson Saxon.

BUT, the TLT output has been pretty decent IMO. So I am going to just enjoy the albums for what they are. I'm not going to fret over the name of the band or try and figure out where and how they fit in the big QR scheme of things.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4030 on: January 08, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
again I agree w Samsara

OTOH I've seen plenty of Tate performances on YouTube where "awful" is the precise word I'd use to describe it. Can't hit any of the notes, and doesn't even try for some of the higher ones. In some spots what he's doing can't even be described as "singing". However, I saw something recently which sounded much better (can't remember what it was) that impressed me a bit, because he didn't completely suck. So maybe there's hope for him.

find me one and post it and lets discuss if we can here ( not sure its the right place to do it )

Sorry man, I'm done with you. You're not worth the waste of time. You have no objective ability to judge vocal performances and I can't take anything you post seriously.

LOL  OK ,,, peace to you
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4031 on: January 08, 2020, 11:38:18 AM »

I'm as far from a Tate fan boy as you can be. I just prefer the tonal quality of his voice to La Torre's. That's all there really is to it. I find Tate to be a better overall singer. La Torre just has more range. Neither one of them is perfect these days.

I agree  and I hope Tate never goes back to QR     good talk today

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4032 on: January 08, 2020, 11:41:02 AM »

I agree I like Samsaras posts, today we agreed often which was cool, but if we disagree thats cool too

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #4033 on: January 08, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »
None of that is objective.  It's opinion.  And as such, it's valid.  But "objective" doesn't even enter into the discussion.

again my opinion is OBJECTIVE   if Todd sounded great Id say so  he does not OBJECTIVELY  only subjectively could one say he does  : )

folks please don't sleep on this gem
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4034 on: January 08, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »

For my money, your posts on this band are the best. Your discography was a great read. I actually come to the QR threads just to see what you have to say. I've come to consider you the "official unofficial" authority on this band.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4035 on: January 08, 2020, 12:09:19 PM »
LOL  OK ,,, peace to you

Thanks. No hard feelings and best wishes to you sir.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4036 on: January 08, 2020, 12:13:09 PM »
LOL  OK ,,, peace to you

Thanks. No hard feelings and best wishes to you sir.

its all good  peace to you

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4037 on: January 08, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »

For my money, your posts on this band are the best. Your discography was a great read. I actually come to the QR threads just to see what you have to say. I've come to consider you the "official unofficial" authority on this band.

Thanks. That's nice of you to say. I'm far from an authority on the current version of the band. But I do like to consider myself a bit of historian on the original group. I run a website (see signature below) that documents the history of the original Queensryche. Will always be my favorite band (that era). They really had something special together.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4038 on: January 08, 2020, 12:23:15 PM »
Interesting thought I just had on reaction to the replacement members of QR over the years:

Kelly Gray:  In general, not liked by the fan base.  One could argue that it is because he was the first "new" member since the classic era of the band, so it was really jarring.  Or that it was because he was replacing Chris DeGarmo, who was so iconic.  But I think it was his playing and style.  By and large, I think the fans initially gave him a fair shot, even many that may not have liked what they heard from Q2K.  But as we heard more and more from his live playing, a LOT of fans seemed to bristle at the liberties he took with Chris's solos, and with his over use of wah, among other things.  By the time Live Evolution dropped, a lot of fans were calling for him to leave.
-My verdict:   :tdwn  He just wasn't the right fit.

Mike Stone:  Fan reactions seemed initially mixed.  A lot of people didn't know what to think of this new look or the song he contributed to Tribe.  But even a lot of those who initially accepted him became put off over time, either because of his shrill guitar tone or the fact that they didn't like the new material and partly blamed Stone. 
-My verdict:  I initially liked him.  But, ultimately, he wasn't the right fit and I didn't care for his playing later on.  :tdwn

Parker Lundgren:  I think almost everybody panned him in the beginning, simply because his hiring smacked of nepotism, and because he was a complete unknown and perceived as "too young."  To his credit, Parker worked HARD to learn not only the right notes to play, but how to play them with the right feel and tone so that whatever he was playing sounded faithful to QR's sound.  I think he eventually won over most of the naysayers. 
-My verdict:  I was initially VERY put off by his hiring, but he completely won me over (as far as his playing and writing, other than lyrics).  :tup

Todd LaTorre:  Mixed reviews.  Most of the fans seemed to accept him right off the bat because of his chops and/or because of the frustration with what Tate had done to the band and his declining abilities and declining desire to care.  Some rejected Todd simply because "nobody could ever replace Tate!  EVER!"  And I complete get that, even if I may not agree.  Others may have rejected him for other reasons, such as simply not liking his stage presence, his timbre, or what have you.  I get the general sense that more accepted him than not, but either way, I think "mixed" best sums up the response.  And I don't think many have jumped ship one way or the other over time.  I think "mixed" is still where the verdict sits on Todd.
-My verdict:   :tup :tup :tup  He has had his issues.  But at least as far as stage performance and writing (other than lyrics), he was a great addition.

Casey:  As far as I know, there hasn't been any backlash.  I don't think ANYBODY is happy about not having Scott on the kit.  But Casey is capable.  And much like Parker, he seems to have done a good job of doing his best to capture the right feel and mood to suit the songs.  I think he's generally accepted.
-My verdict:  Eh...I don't care.  If they had to replace Scott, he's fine.   :tup

Anyone else care to chime in with their opinions?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lupton

« Reply #4039 on: January 08, 2020, 12:25:36 PM »

Thanks. That's nice of you to say. I'm far from an authority on the current version of the band. But I do like to consider myself a bit of historian on the original group. I run a website (see signature below) that documents the history of the original Queensryche. Will always be my favorite band (that era). They really had something special together.

Indeed. They were an uniquely awesome band. But nothing lasts forever. All things considered, they had an amazing run up to Chris' departure. I do, however, think your opinion on the current incarnation carries much authority, and I find myself agreeing with many of the points you make regarding QR with LaTorre. So I'm always interested in hearing your take on any recent developments. Cheers and thanks for posting all your thoughts here for us to read! (I used to mainly lurk and read).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4040 on: January 08, 2020, 12:26:48 PM »

One of my biggest musical regrets is not accepting the version of Black Sabbath of the late 80's/early 90's. I was appalled that they would even call it Black Sabbath. I turned my back on it. Which is too bad, because that band toured a lot, had really good albums, and had some interesting members.

That's a great point right there. I did the same thing with Anthrax. I was a huge Joey fan and had no interest in seeing John sing Joey's stuff so I refused to see them live. Then they were going to do the tour with both guys and I bought tix immediately. Then Joey dropped out. The whole show was just John and he blew me away. I saw them every time they came around after that.

As for QR, I have no issues with Todd. I think he sounds great and has really settled into his own on the studio material. I saw them live once and my chief complaints were that Casey was not Scott and that Michael and Ed stood there like statues and barely moved a muscle. If it wasn't for Parker and Todd it would have been like watching mannequins perform. Otherwise, they sounded great to me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:14:18 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4041 on: January 08, 2020, 01:12:04 PM »
Joining the QR thread.  I've never been a huge fan, I really like OM, but I tried out Empire after and really wasn't into it way back when I first started listening to them 10+ years ago.  I also bought the Operation Livecrime DVD and thought the OM2 was cheesy and the whole performance was a bit odd. (I watched once and never went back to it).

My local venue had a buy one get one free sale on black friday so figured what the hell, bought two tickets to see QR with John 5 in February (my other ticket is for sale on stubhub, so I'll likely have paid around $10-15 total for the show).  Figured that's worth it and it's been awhile since I tried, so now is better than ever to give another shot. 

So what should I check out?  I'm guessing the latest album?  Is that what they are likely to be performing songs from or are they mostly doing the older stuff?

Casey:  As far as I know, there hasn't been any backlash.  I don't think ANYBODY is happy about not having Scott on the kit.  But Casey is capable.  And much like Parker, he seems to have done a good job of doing his best to capture the right feel and mood to suit the songs.  I think he's generally accepted.
-My verdict:  Eh...I don't care.  If they had to replace Scott, he's fine.   :tup

Anyone else care to chime in with their opinions?

Can't speak of anyone else, but Casey was the drummer of Kamelot and left them to do this (I think amongst other personal things).  He's a solid drummer and capable.  He was never one that really stood out to me, but he's a professional and likely a good replacement.  I'm hoping to meet him at the show because of how that venue is set up, I often have gotten handshakes or met/chatted with the musicians either right before or after the hit the stage (including a Geoff Tate fist bump last year during his OM show). I met current Warrant singer Robert Mason last year as well while wearing a Kamelot shirt and he immediately brought up Casey so I kind of feel I should go full circle and wear the same shirt and tell Casey, Robert Mason was fond of you last year  :yarr

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4042 on: January 08, 2020, 01:30:10 PM »
My local venue had a buy one get one free sale on black friday so figured what the hell, bought two tickets to see QR with John 5 in February (my other ticket is for sale on stubhub, so I'll likely have paid around $10-15 total for the show).  Figured that's worth it and it's been awhile since I tried, so now is better than ever to give another shot. 

So what should I check out?  I'm guessing the latest album?  Is that what they are likely to be performing songs from or are they mostly doing the older stuff?

Looks like their current set is roughly (it varies slightly)
-2-3 songs from the new one.
-2-3 songs from the other Todd-era albums (self titled and Condition Human)
-The rest spread out over the EP-Promised Land Tate era (EP, Warning, Rage, Mindcrime, Empire, Promised Land), with each of those albums getting 1-3 songs. 

That makes it really hard to suggest a particular album.  Sorry.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4043 on: January 08, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »
Yeah I think they started to more to have more TLT Era stuff in the set last year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4044 on: January 08, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »
Ah yea, doesn't make it the easiest, but if they have a typical set list (I should have checked first) then I can just check out the songs they are playing individually on youtube or make myself a playlist there instead of getting an album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4045 on: January 08, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »
Well, that was a lot to catch up on.  The way I look at it, everyone will have different opinions.  As Tim mentioned with Sabbath, turning your back on a lineup due to original members not being their is your loss.  We can't control what's happening with Queensryche one bit, but we can choose to enjoy what they are doing regardless.  If one thinks it's not Queensryche and the current members aren't up to scratch, that's subjective and you miss out, and if the band are happy doing what they are doing, good for them and we can enjoy it or simply wish them well and not bother.

I see no issue that we can't enjoy this new incarnation of Queensryche along with what Tate might be doing also.  I don't think anyone would prefer to see Eddie and Whip simply vanish out of sight just because the band has split up like it has.  Why should they stop playing and if they want to carry on with the Ryche name like they are, I'm all for it.

It reminds me of when Bruce left Maiden and Steve was at a very low point and was going to end the band.  I think it was Dave and Nicko that were out drinking and said to each other, 'fuck him, why should we stop just cause he wants to.'  Luckily Steve adopted this approach but it's the same thing with Eddie and Michael.  Should they have formed a different band name or something, who's to say, but good on them all for carrying on the Ryche name and doing a damn good job.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4046 on: January 08, 2020, 02:36:03 PM »
Totally agree wolf, I absolutely HATE when I see on social media "no (former band member name), no (band name)" in this case "no Geoff, no Ryche".  Why can't people just let them move on?  You don't need to follow if you don't want to anymore.  No Jani No Warrant, man that shit is why I wanted to meet Robert Mason, guy was so happy that someone didn't shit on him for once.  I feel bad for the replacement members most times.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4047 on: January 08, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
Well, that was a lot to catch up on.  The way I look at it, everyone will have different opinions.  As Tim mentioned with Sabbath, turning your back on a lineup due to original members not being their is your loss.  We can't control what's happening with Queensryche one bit, but we can choose to enjoy what they are doing regardless.  If one thinks it's not Queensryche and the current members aren't up to scratch, that's subjective and you miss out, and if the band are happy doing what they are doing, good for them and we can enjoy it or simply wish them well and not bother.

I see no issue that we can't enjoy this new incarnation of Queensryche along with what Tate might be doing also.  I don't think anyone would prefer to see Eddie and Whip simply vanish out of sight just because the band has split up like it has.  Why should they stop playing and if they want to carry on with the Ryche name like they are, I'm all for it.

It reminds me of when Bruce left Maiden and Steve was at a very low point and was going to end the band.  I think it was Dave and Nicko that were out drinking and said to each other, 'fuck him, why should we stop just cause he wants to.'  Luckily Steve adopted this approach but it's the same thing with Eddie and Michael.  Should they have formed a different band name or something, who's to say, but good on them all for carrying on the Ryche name and doing a damn good job.

Totally agree wolf, I absolutely HATE when I see on social media "no (former band member name), no (band name)" in this case "no Geoff, no Ryche".  Why can't people just let them move on?  You don't need to follow if you don't want to anymore.  No Jani No Warrant, man that shit is why I wanted to meet Robert Mason, guy was so happy that someone didn't shit on him for once.  I feel bad for the replacement members most times.

And all that is really it, isn't it? The jumping off point for people will always vary, as will the time it takes to get to that point.

It took me a very long time to just accept QR for what it is now. It's not my thing, and I'm OK with that - I just focus on the era I love, and the music I like. But there was a lot of thinking about how to express that in threads like this, and getting to the point where I didn't overly criticize without also giving appropriate praise as well. It's a balancing act. I mean, I think people should be free to express their opinion -- Lord knows I did for years on The Breakdown Room before I closed it. But all those guys in Queensryche...I may not agree with what they're doing or necessarily like it. But they are out there trying to make a living, and things as simple as posts on a message board can have dramatic impact when seen by enough people. Trust me, I know.  :lol

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #4048 on: January 08, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »
Can’t really comment on whether TLT’s voice has declined as I’ve not seen them live for years, it seems to be the general opinion so I will go with that.  What I will say is that, when I saw him with QR during the tour for the self titled album, he was incredible, jaw dropping in fact. It remains possibly the greatest vocal performance I have seen live.  I had seen QR with Tate on the recent Mindcrime 1&2 tour and then opening for Judas Priest and they were atrocious, painful to watch.  This show with TLT was a huge improvement on that but TLT aside, they weren’t exactly electric to watch and Parker is no DeGarmo unfortunately.

I’d probably still see them if they were playing locally and have no problem with the remaining members making a living but you can’t really replace peak Tate or DeGarmo either as a single guitar player or the chemistry he and Wilton had as a guitar duo. I would also say you miss them as songwriters but Tate hasn’t written a decent song for a long time and neither has DeGarmo. I know DeGarmo hasn’t written much at all but he did come back for Tribe and that’s no better than most of the other post Promised Land records.

I have enjoyed the TLT albums to varying degrees and consider them to be better than anything the band have done since Promised Land but they are not classics to me and don’t come close to the golden era of the band.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4049 on: January 08, 2020, 07:18:26 PM »
Going to see them next Friday.  Saw them several times with Tate since OM.  Looking forward to seeing them in a small club.

I will give my objective opinion on the performance after the show.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4050 on: January 09, 2020, 01:42:00 AM »

With the TLT Era QR, it's obviously NOT Queensryche, with all due respect to Wilton. That's like Mark Kendall's Great White, or Oliver-Dawson Saxon.

BUT, the TLT output has been pretty decent IMO. So I am going to just enjoy the albums for what they are. I'm not going to fret over the name of the band or try and figure out where and how they fit in the big QR scheme of things.

This is such a good post. One can argue if the new QR is QR or something else, but at the end of the day it's the music that should count, you like it or you don't like it, the name of the band shouldn't be important.

I happen to quite like the TLT output a lot and I see a steady growth in quality from the self-titled to The Verdict. And I hope they keep going on and release another record sometime. And at this point I really don't care if Scott returns or not.

And regarding Tate and his latest performances, it seems he's a little bit better than he was some years ago, but he's never going to sound like the old days again. And his performance with Avantasia is solid imo, but nothing more. He has ditched that nasal thing he did for some time and he hits some high notes, but (again strictly imo) his voice and phrasing has taken on an annoying undertone. I will always say that he was one of the best metal singers and listen to the old QR records and enjoy them, but there is nothing about his singing and his solo work today that appeals to me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4051 on: January 09, 2020, 08:28:43 AM »
I had seen QR with Tate on the recent Mindcrime 1&2 tour and then opening for Judas Priest and they were atrocious, painful to watch.

That QR tour with Priest was a year before that MC 1 and 2 tour -- summer 2005. And I am not sure which show you were at, but I saw it multiple times, and Tate and the band were on fire. One of the best tours they did. Tate reached back to hit some notes, and really brought his A game since they were touring with Rob Halford, IMO. I have most of the bootlegs from that tour, and from what I remember, Tate was never really off on any of them.

have no problem with the remaining members making a living but you can’t really replace peak Tate or DeGarmo either as a single guitar player or the chemistry he and Wilton had as a guitar duo.

Absolutely agree.

I would also say you miss them as songwriters but Tate hasn’t written a decent song for a long time and neither has DeGarmo. I know DeGarmo hasn’t written much at all but he did come back for Tribe and that’s no better than most of the other post Promised Land records.

Well, that's personal preference. I think "Art of Life" is one of the best songs post-Promised Land that the band has its name on. And it was written by DeGarmo/Tate. And I quite enjoy "Falling Behind" and think it is severely underrated by people. Classic Queensryche. The subtle build, the social commentary, etc. But that's a subject for another day. Again, personal preference plays a role in saying whether something is better or worse than something.  ;)

I have enjoyed the TLT albums to varying degrees and consider them to be better than anything the band have done since Promised Land but they are not classics to me and don’t come close to the golden era of the band.

And that's fair for sure. And I agree that some of the TLT material is much better than most of the post-DeGarmo stuff. I'd argue, however, that the stuff on HITNF and the stuff on Tribe that DeGarmo was involved in has the classic QR traits to it (due to just the band's songwriting evolution with the original five) that make it very distinct, and very good.

A word on La Torre and good shows with him. I've seen Queensryche close to 40 times since 1995. Eight of those shows have been with TLT fronting the band, with the last one being Reno, Nev., in December 2013. Only once did I walk away (New Jersey, spring 2013) thinking it was a bad performance. And two nights later, Queensryche played my hometown for the first time ever, and TLT had one of the best shows I've ever heard. He learned how to power through a cold and I was really inspired about how he performed. It was jaw-dropping. (Of course a few nights later he sounded terrible at a show in the South, but that's besides the point - lol.)

The bottom line for me is this, and take it for what it's worth:

At the outset, the band seemed to very much parade the fact that TLT sounded like Tate, and TLT took pains to emphasize his similarities with Tate, but threw in that he was just him for the sake of appearing humble to people. He had a lot of range, tried to sing clean, and did his thing. But as time has gone on, it is quite apparent to anyone familiar with singing, that while TLT is very influenced by Tate and has adopted some of the phrasing Tate used, they are actually very different singers. I'd argue that TLT is naturally more like a cross between Dickinson and Anselmo. But TLT was talented enough to highlight as much of Tate as he could in his voice early on. Nowadays, it appears TLT has very much just reverted to fully being himself, in as much as the Tate-era QR material allows him to be. And that's OK, honestly, that's what he SHOULD do. He's the frontman of the band, he needs to make the songs his own.

But where Tate has lost some range, he still has a lot of stamina and a tone and richness to his voice that frankly, TLT just naturally doesn't have. It's no one's fault really -- I mean, you could argue that smoking took Tate's range away, just as it likely is the reason TLT can't his the real high notes cleanly any longer and has to scream them. But they just are different singers. There is a subtlety to the classic QR material that the current version of Queensryche just doesn't have. And that's not a knock -- it's just that the bands are DIFFERENT. And again, that's OK. Queensryche is more of a metal band now, with a singer who has a grittier tone. Some don't notice those differences, but I happen to, and I know I'm not the only one. They simply are different singers, and the band is completely different.

To rail on TLT mercilessly is just plain stupid. If you like what he does - great. If you're like me, and you appreciate the talent but don't really like how it translates to Queensryche, that's fine too. But to shit on TLT is wrong (not saying you Peter, I'm talking in generalities). The guy is a talented singer and does a good job on stage night after night. He has different strengths and weakness in comparison with Tate which have become more glaring as time has gone on. But as much as he is no longer my cup of tea, I think it's really shortsighted for anyone to slam him without any context. His voice seems to have lost range, and it hasn't gotten stronger. That's not a slam, that's an observation. But he's out there every night delivering the songs, better than most could, and I think that gets forgotten in the large scheme of things.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:01:45 AM by Samsara »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4052 on: January 09, 2020, 09:28:13 AM »
I largely agree with most if not all of that. 

I really like this paragraph below.  For the sake of discussion, I will slightly push back on the bolded:
At the outset, the band seemed to very much parade the fact that TLT sounded like Tate, and TLT took pains to emphasize his similarities with Tate, but threw in that he was just him for the sake of appearing humble to people. He had a lot of range, tried to sing clean, and did his thing. But as time has gone on, it is quite apparent to anyone familiar with singing, that while TLT is very influenced by Tate and has adopted some of the phrasing Tate used, they are actually very different singers. I'd argue that TLT is naturally more like a cross between Dickinson and Anselmo. But TLT was talented enough to highlight as much of Tate as he could in his voice early on. Nowadays, it appears TLT has very much just reverted to fully being himself, in as much as the Tate-era QR material allows him to be. And that's OK, honestly, that's what he SHOULD do. He's the frontman of the band, he needs to make the songs his own.

I will say:  yes and no.  Just yesterday, a 2019 show came up in my playlist, and I had it on in the background while working.  I think the context of how I was listening was important, because I wasn't solely focused on concentrating on the performance.  There were times when I caught myself thinking I was listening to Tate--several times throughout the show.  Of course, there were plenty of other times when I clearly knew I was listening to LaTorre.  But, again, plenty of songs or moments in songs where it sounded like it easily could have been Tate.  My point is that I don't think LaTorre has completely "reverted to fully being himself."  I think there's a balance there.  And, as you pointed out, as the new frontman of the band, he should be putting his own stamp on things.  I think he is, overally, doing a pretty good job of trying to balance how much to try to sound like the originals in order to pay proper deference and respect to the legacy of those songs, putting his own stamp and personality on them so as to not merely come across as a hired gun, and making his own stylistic choices because of his own vocal abilities, whether some of those decisions are because of his personal limitations and vocal instrument, merely stylistic, or something else.

Anyhow, again, not really disagreeing, but just merely putting my own spin on my observations.  It reminds me a lot of when I saw Augeri fronting Journey in 2001 (or maybe it was early 2002?).  They were playing an arena, and I was actually in a luxury box at the back of the venue, so my attention was divided between the show and socializing with some friends and others who were there.  It was the first time I had heard Journey without Perry at all.  I felt like Augeri really did the songs justice.  At times, he was just being himself.  At others, I had to stop and just listen in stunned silence because I was struck by how much he had made an effort to capture Perry's timbre, phrasing, and overall style to the point where, especially in a live setting, you almost wouldn't know it wasn't Perry up there.  Again, I thought he did a good job with his choices in paying homage and staying true to the originals, while also making them his own when appropriate.  I think he sided with adding less of his own style than LaTorre does now with QR.  But it was still a balance that felt right.  When I saw them again in Marysville on that tour supporting Generations where they did a full set of mostly pre-Perry rarities, and then a separate more typical hits/new material set, I felt the same.  You could see/hear a bit of his own style shining through to make the songs his own.  But he also tried very hard to be faithful to the originals.  And, for me, that balance worked.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4053 on: January 09, 2020, 09:31:58 AM »
bosk,

But I think that's it -- we're talking about THE WAY you're listening. Yes, if you have it on in the background, and are just doing your thing, TLT singing classic QR material will sort of remind you of Tate. Those are Tate and DeGarmo's melodies he's singing, and he phrases like Tate. Absolutely. Random listening like that for sure. What I was specifically talking about is if you honed in on and critically compared the two. And if you listen like that, it becomes easier to pick out how different they are in their approaches. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4054 on: January 09, 2020, 09:38:17 AM »
Yeah, I don't disagree with that.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4055 on: January 09, 2020, 10:19:44 AM »

This. Both of you were spot on here. It reminds me of all the "Portnoy was the soul of DT" comments. Bands change, members leave, are fired, pass away (sadly) or whatever. We can't do anything about it. We could complain all that we want on social media, but that's not gonna change things a bit.

When the MP-DT split happened, Mike P was my favorite drummer ever and I was really sad to see him leave, but guess what? The band moved on and I fully embraced Mangini as the new drummer, because it still was and is my favorite band, one member leaving doesn't change that (I now prefer MM to MP in both playing and personality, but that's just my personal preference). In other cases, if a member I really like leaves or isn't present on previous albums, I might lose interest, but I don't have to spread negativity about that. There's just SO MANY bands/albums/songs out there to focus my time and attention on some of them that I don't like too much.

To bring it back to QR, Geoff was let go for very specific reasons that have been well documented and I'm sure it those things didn't happen the way they did, nobody else in the band would've wanted him out. But guess what? Things went that way and they have another frontman now who, apart from a few online shenanigans, he's been giving it his 100% and is doing his best to keep the boat floating. Yes, he's no Tate in his golden years, but who is? TLT is as close as it gets and imo there isn't a better replacement out there for Tate unless they develop human cloning. If you don't like the current band, just move on and focus on the other bands you enjoy out there. Just my two cents.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4056 on: January 09, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »
If you don't like the current band, just move on and focus on the other bands you enjoy out there. Just my two cents.

G, so you're saying if you don't like the current band, people shouldn't pay attention to them any longer? Even if, like me, they loved the original era? I don't think that's specifically what you're saying, but that's how it comes across. And that's sorta impossible you know? You enjoy a band's output for a long stretch of time, then you don't (due to whatever), but you're supposed to not care what they do any longer and just move on? Not really possible for most.

I mean, if that were true, I wouldn't have been a Dream Theater fan from 2003 until Distance Over Time. I didn't like what DT was doing post-Train of Thought really, but I hung in there, kept tabs on the band, listened to what they were doing, and eventually, they reeled me in again with something that connected.

Again, I don't think you meant what you said literally, but if you did, I think that's not really possible, nor a good idea. You move on, but you always keep tabs, because you never know what will connect with you.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4057 on: January 09, 2020, 10:36:28 AM »
I don't think that's what he saying at all. If you read his entire post, he's basically saying not to go online and trash the band. You respectfully discuss the band and why you don't care for them now, and it's fine. Name-calling or trolling is another matter altogether.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4058 on: January 09, 2020, 10:41:25 AM »
I don't think that's what he saying at all. If you read his entire post, he's basically saying not to go online and trash the band. You respectfully discuss the band and why you don't care for them now, and it's fine. Name-calling or trolling is another matter altogether.

I did read his entire post. As I have yours. And I agree with all of that.

But when G used that example of MP leaving DT, he liked what the band did and embraced Mangini because it was still his favorite band.

What I'm saying is that people can choose to do the opposite and still be vested (Tate pun intended) in what they are doing. :) What constitutes "spreading negativity" is very subjective. But I agree, there's no need for trolling or name-calling.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4059 on: January 09, 2020, 10:59:00 AM »

I did read his entire post. As I have yours. And I agree with all of that.

But when G used that example of MP leaving DT, he liked what the band did and embraced Mangini because it was still his favorite band.

What I'm saying is that people can choose to do the opposite and still be vested (Tate pun intended) in what they are doing. :) What constitutes "spreading negativity" is very subjective. But I agree, there's no need for trolling or name-calling.

I think the "just move on" was directed at the constant negativity.  It's totally fine for you not to like anything from FII on but still follow the band and check out what they're up to.  I did the same with Queensryche actually.  I kind of convinced myself to like HITNF and Q2K for a while, but realized I wasn't very interested in playing them much. With each subsequent album, I just wasn't Into it.  It probably took me awhile to even listen to dedicated to chaos, but I did eventually listen to it, "just in case."  And I still didn't like it, but I guess QR is a band I'll always follow at least a little bit. But despite what I considered disappointment after disappointment, that doesn't mean that it would have been cool for me to go online and just bash them. Rationally discuss what I don't like? Sure, that's fair. But there's a way to do it without the vitriol. Which you seem to be well aware of, because your posts are pretty fair, and you don't insult those who do happen to like the stuff that you don't.