Author Topic: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music  (Read 28698 times)

Offline cygnusx1jg

Re: Your controversial opinions/thoughts on music
« Reply #280 on: April 04, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
My best memory of Depeche Mode was going to the Florida State Fair when I was about 15 or 16 and riding the Himilaya. They played People are People loud as hell and they sped the ride up once the repeated "I can't understand what makes a man hate another man" part near the end of the song. So much innocent fun!
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2019, 04:39:30 AM »
Korn...their best album is....

Take A Look In The Mirror...

Linkin Park.....

Meteora
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 05:03:31 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2019, 07:21:41 AM »
Is it even controversial to say Meteora is the best LP album? Even though Hybrid Theory was a instant classic, as a 12 year old getting Meteora on release day after years of hype, I always felt it was a more mature and well rounded album. Not necessarily better, but not worse. Two good albums that were kinda neck and neck.

Controversially for me however is that I like Minutes to Midnight quite a lot in the LP discography. Maybe even my favorite. The Little Things You Give Away is my favorite LP song and the album also has some other bangers like Given Up, No More Sorrow and Bleed it Out. I also don't mind the ballads even though I know some people find them cheesy.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2019, 04:51:38 AM »
As a big Rush fan I think that their debut is awful and Working Man is not better than most Greta Van Fleet tunes.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2019, 02:57:58 PM »
As a big Rush fan I think that their debut is awful and Working Man is not better than most Greta Van Fleet tunes.
cleaner vocal lines by Geddy though IMHO
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #285 on: April 14, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
cleaner vocal lines by Geddy though IMHO

.I have no idea what this means. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #286 on: April 14, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
It's as if you wrote it yourself! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2019, 03:13:35 PM »
It's as if you wrote it yourself! :lol

At least I understand my madness.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Trav86

« Reply #288 on: April 14, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »
Is it even controversial to say Meteora is the best LP album? Even though Hybrid Theory was a instant classic, as a 12 year old getting Meteora on release day after years of hype, I always felt it was a more mature and well rounded album. Not necessarily better, but not worse. Two good albums that were kinda neck and neck.

Controversially for me however is that I like Minutes to Midnight quite a lot in the LP discography. Maybe even my favorite. The Little Things You Give Away is my favorite LP song and the album also has some other bangers like Given Up, No More Sorrow and Bleed it Out. I also don't mind the ballads even though I know some people find them cheesy.

I would still put Hybrid Theory at the top. Nostalgia has a lot to do with it. I remember listening to it right after the release, before it was huge. Meteora I would put second, followed by Minutes. Everything else is about on the same level. Songs I love and songs I don’t really care for.  But those first three are solid albums.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:35 AM »
Judas Priest is not only better than Iron Maiden, but it's not even close.

:lol  Kev, sometimes your posts just crack me up.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2019, 10:29:59 AM »
Controversial opinion: rock and metal rule, but there's a ton of other music out there in the world that is way better than almost all rock and metal music.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2019, 10:36:18 AM »
Controversial opinion: rock and metal rule, but there's a ton of other music out there in the world that is way better than almost all rock and metal music.

I can agree with this. I end up buying those cds as well and now I'm finding myself listening to those more than I do Rock and Metal.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2019, 11:24:08 AM »
Opinion: metal is the only genre of music ever and anything not classified as metal isn't real music

Offline robbob

« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
Country is the most blandest/boring music out there. Just about every Male vocalist sounds the same. I do, but at the same time don't understand it's huge popularity. Of course, i'm just talking about in the States. There are some people I know who were heavily into Classic Rock back in the day (Mid ages folks, like 40 years and older) but now are big Country/Pop music fans because it's what they're supposed to gravitate to since they're older now, or atleast that's what I think.

There may be better, interesting Country music that is more unknown, but from what I have heard, it's all very samey.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2019, 12:46:05 PM »

:)

I'll quote (or paraphrase) - MP on this one - there are no bests, only favorites.

Metal is the best for me, because it's my favorite.  For others it's different, and that's cool.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »

I'll quote (or paraphrase) - MP on this one - there are no bests, only favorites.

Metal is the best for me, because it's my favorite.  For others it's different, and that's cool.

I actually like to get into the weeds on this subject, especially with "best vs. favorite" - for me, I'll take great metal (what I think is great, anyway) over almost anything else. Nothing resonates with me quite like that. So it's definitely my favorite. At the same time, however, I think there's a lot of other music that offers so much that metal/rock/prog just doesn't offer. And above all that, the best artists - in my opinion - are not bound to one genre or play in only one style, they're the ones that can do a variety of things and blend styles together.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: April 17, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »
I'm just a music whore.  I like most except for country and rap.

I like when a touch of one style of music is mixed with another.  Example is when PT went heavy.  it was like a mix of Pink Floyd & Tool.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #298 on: April 17, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »

I actually like to get into the weeds on this subject, especially with "best vs. favorite" - for me, I'll take great metal (what I think is great, anyway) over almost anything else. Nothing resonates with me quite like that. So it's definitely my favorite. At the same time, however, I think there's a lot of other music that offers so much that metal/rock/prog just doesn't offer. And above all that, the best artists - in my opinion - are not bound to one genre or play in only one style, they're the ones that can do a variety of things and blend styles together.

I don't really agree with that.  Most of my favorite artists do indeed blend things together, and I think that's what makes them so interesting for me.  But that experience may be different for others. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #299 on: April 17, 2019, 03:01:59 PM »

It's probably just the weed, actually. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »
 :rollin Honestly you're not wrong. I got into that around the time several pretty bad events in my life happened, all within a short period of time, so about 7-8 years ago my musical taste very rapidly changed from "metal, metal, and nothing but metal" into exploring a ton of other styles of music. Now my listening habits have changed; metal is reserved for car rides and working or exercising, it's too loud and too much for home listening most of the time. Home is for pretty much everything else.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #301 on: April 17, 2019, 03:19:38 PM »
Yeah, I hear you.  I mostly just reserve listening to metal to ALL THE TIME.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: April 17, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »
It's probably just the weed, actually. :D

:lol

And above all that, the best artists - in my opinion - are not bound to one genre or play in only one style, they're the ones that can do a variety of things and blend styles together.

One reason why 311 is one of my all time favorite bands, I don't talk much about them here since their relevance in prog metal is none, but they encompass a large and varied sound and manage to pull it off all so well and have consistently made original music.  Maybe the weed has something to do with that too.

Either way, I think I generally like metal music more than other genres but there's certainly reasons to think other genres have more to offer. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #303 on: April 17, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
The thing I like most about genres other than metal is that, when I am listening to them, they make me realize how much I miss listening to metal, so I end up going back and listening to metal again.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 17, 2019, 03:24:09 PM »
And above all that, the best artists - in my opinion - are not bound to one genre or play in only one style, they're the ones that can do a variety of things and blend styles together.

That could be true, but to my ears this more often than not translates to the equivalent of "Jack of all trades, master of none." I'd usually rather a band do one thing and excel at it than a band do lots of different things to varying degrees of quality. There are exceptions of course.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 17, 2019, 03:28:33 PM »

That could be true, but to my ears this more often than not translates to the equivalent of "Jack of all trades, master of none." I'd usually rather a band do one thing and excel at it than a band do lots of different things to varying degrees of quality. There are exceptions of course.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. Just 'cause a band throws the kitchen sink in doesn't mean it's automatically going to be good, BUT! for example, Toto. I freaking love them, one of my all time favorite acts, why? 'cause no two albums sound alike and they've always done something different and new and they're damn good at it. I suppose I should rephrase that; musicians who can do a variety of things are usually ones I prefer, as opposed to a band just trying everything under the sun whether they're good at it or not.

And yeah I usually always come back to metal, like I said there are things metal gives me that I just can't get in every other genre. I think this whole train of thought was kickstarted by seeing one of my arrogant metalhead friends bash pop music and I became a grumpy young old man about it  :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #306 on: April 17, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »
I think there are few people who actually listen to *nothing* but metal.  There are some, but I bet the vast majority like, even love, at least one song that's not metal.  Even those who might make negative comments about "pop" in general probably like something.  But if you think metal fans are bad - well, we're far from the worst.  And, we generally don't think fans of other genres of music are degenerates of some sort.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #307 on: April 17, 2019, 04:13:01 PM »
Personally, I think ya'll are really close minded with how few genres you listen to.

Me? I listen to both.

Country AND Western.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
Personally, I think ya'll are really close minded with how few genres you listen to.

Me? I listen to both.

Country AND Western.

Defriended. :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2019, 05:01:41 PM »
I think there are few people who actually listen to *nothing* but metal.  There are some, but I bet the vast majority like, even love, at least one song that's not metal.  Even those who might make negative comments about "pop" in general probably like something.  But if you think metal fans are bad - well, we're far from the worst.  And, we generally don't think fans of other genres of music are degenerates of some sort.

Well, I didn't mean that literally - most metalheads I know at least like some rock and maybe even some blues, sure. But you wouldn't catch them dead listening to classical, funk, jazz, etc. and they would never pay for an album outside of their wheelhouse. Out here in the boonies that's how it is, anyway. They'd recognize Billy Joel's name, maybe, but not one song, if you know what I'm saying. If I found a genie in a bottle I would wish for everyone to have a very high thirst for musical variety in their lives :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2019, 05:53:07 PM »
Judas Priest is not only better than Iron Maiden, but it's not even close.

I bring the comedy, unintentional or not. :P

Offline Lethean

« Reply #311 on: April 17, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
No, I know you didn't mean it literally, but I just meant that because most like at least a little something else, that they can understand others might as well.  I think making fun of especially pop music is just kind of a way to bond - even though there's probably plenty of pop songs they like.  And you mention classical - it's been my experience that metal fans are wayyy more likely to like and appreciate classical music than vice versa.

I actually know way more metal fans who pride themselves on how varied their tastes are and who say things like "people would be shocked if they knew how much different music I listen to." No, I'm not shocked.  Seems like someone is saying that every other day.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2019, 01:15:58 AM »
Of course we can't categorize a vast number of people based solely on what kind of music they listen to, but I think that in some cases being accepting of the metal genre (and therefore being "mentally prepared" for long songs, unconventional structures, themes that aren't all about love or lost love or getting laid or being on the beach) prepares to dive into other genres which are not immediately accessible.

At Lorena McKennitt's concerts I attended there were quite some metalheads, and I wasn't surprised in the least; I would have been more surprised to find a K-Pop fan seeing a folkish / world-ish / celtic-ish musician.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »

I don't really agree with that.  Most of my favorite artists do indeed blend things together, and I think that's what makes them so interesting for me.  But that experience may be different for others.

I have a theory that the very best bands are the ones that STRADDLE genres (or at least bring other genres into their "preferred" one) and rarely are the top tier bands PURELY in one genre, unless they virtually created it (ala Metallica).   Genesis wasn't just prog, they were pop songwriters from the get-go.   Zeppelin wasn't just "blues", they had a very deep folk streak (even in the electric material).   

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #314 on: April 18, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »

I have a theory that the very best bands are the ones that STRADDLE genres (or at least bring other genres into their "preferred" one) and rarely are the top tier bands PURELY in one genre, unless they virtually created it (ala Metallica).   Genesis wasn't just prog, they were pop songwriters from the get-go.   Zeppelin wasn't just "blues", they had a very deep folk streak (even in the electric material).

Thank you, beautifully put. Perfect adherence to a genre makes an act, well, generic to me. I love DT, prog metal bores me, and I could mention a dozen similar instances.