Author Topic: DREAM THEATER INVITE THE BERKLEE COLLEGE OF MUSIC TO JOIN THEM IN BOSTON  (Read 22431 times)

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
Re: A Cool Event in BOSTON...!
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
They better not hint or tease with any images about what the event will be, or we'll have it figured in less than a day  :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:52 PM »
In all fairness, that thing wasn't hyped all that much, and by the way, Eugene Friesen is not just one guy on a cello for DT fans, you know :D
I think Boston 2011 was meant to be a regular show with a little extra.

I sure hope so.  I mean, if they're going to do a big event and film it, I would hope they would announce it.  I would gladly travel anywhere in North America to see it. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »
I can't imagine that this will be anything other than some special guests making an appearance. Maybe they'll play something special for the occasion, but I have my doubts.

Just an addition to fan-dreams, but wouldn't it be neat if they played Awake in the second set, end it at the end of "Scarred", then bring out Kevin Moore to play "Space-Dye Vest" and then bring out Derek Sherinian to play "A Change of Seasons" for the encore?! Sure, that'd be a 30 minute encore, but who cares! It'd be something special, alright, and it would be a nightmare to remember.

It would still give them about 70-80 minutes to play with in the first set, which is more than enough time to play new music and some other songs.

-Marc.

That sounds torturous. :lol

Fixed that for blob, sorry, couldn't resist  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »
I hope it's not just an orchestra for IT. Call me jaded, but I already saw DT with an orchestra at RCMH.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
That would be a huge waste of the "special occasion" type of event.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 01:48:34 AM »
I hope it's not just an orchestra for IT. Call me jaded, but I already saw DT with an orchestra at RCMH.

Isn't it obvious that this is exactly what it is?  I mean, DT is playing at a legit opera house after all.  Oh, and you're jaded.  Decided not to go to Score show, so this works out great for me. 

(But I get it, if Charlie played multiple venues in 2004, then the reunion show in Los Angeles would have lost some of its specialness for me). 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »
Saw them on the Awake tour at BERKLEE

I was there too.  My first DT show.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2014, 03:08:23 AM »
Since Berklee is in Boston, maybe they will bring Eren and a string quartet to play the string section of IT, rather than doing whatever they have planned for the rest of the tour.
I have  a feeling that you are right

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:43 AM »
They'll play awake in it's entirety with Extreme as support. Mike will play a couple of songs with his old cohorts for old times sake.

Since they have an orchestra there for IT, Extreme will play Rise n Shine from their 3 sides album and JP will join Nuno on that track as 2nd lead guitar

Sorry...........what were we talking about? I just Mangini'd all over my keyboard.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2014, 03:30:14 AM »
^^^^^^  BAAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAA  ^^^^^^^^^

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 04:13:23 AM »
 :rollin

On a serious note, I'm not buying into the idea that they will bring out the string quartet for IT in Boston. That's like, 3 minutes of music in the midst of a 20 minute epic. Just seems a little impractical.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 04:24:02 AM »
:rollin

On a serious note, I'm not buying into the idea that they will bring out the string quartet for IT in Boston. That's like, 3 minutes of music in the midst of a 20 minute epic. Just seems a little impractical.

In the case of both Score and LALP, the orchestra/string section were utilized on at least a few songs, so if it's the case here, I'd expect they'll incorporate it into a few songs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 04:46:04 AM »
Such as Rise n Shine by Extreme.

This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline emtee

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 05:39:33 AM »
Second set with orch. including Space Dye Vest and maybe a couple/few guests including Kevin Moore.

Remember the press release said they will play a couple songs never played before. That leaves VERY FEW options, one of which
is SDV.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 05:58:20 AM »
Second set with orch. including Space Dye Vest and maybe a couple/few guests including Kevin Moore.

Remember the press release said they will play a couple songs never played before. That leaves VERY FEW options, one of which
is SDV.

Things that make you go HMMMMMMMM

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »

is SDV.

The other four songs being "The Best Of Times", "The Shattered Fortress", "Raw Dog" and "Don't Look Past Me". Otherwise, every other song the band has ever written/recorded in the studio has been played live at some point. Well, if you don't count the original version of "You Not Me" as "You Or Me", which was never played live technically, but the album version has.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
Petrucci has said "Along for the Ride" was inspired by the Boston Marathon attacks, so maybe the band is planning a special tribute or fundraiser for Boston.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:32 AM »

is SDV.

The other four songs being "The Best Of Times", "The Shattered Fortress", "Raw Dog" and "Don't Look Past Me". Otherwise, every other song the band has ever written/recorded in the studio has been played live at some point. Well, if you don't count the original version of "You Not Me" as "You Or Me", which was never played live technically, but the album version has.
I recall reading that MP had planned to include You or Me in the next tour, so it's quite possible that this could be one of the tracks. It is also possible (tho unlikely) that maybe they'll dig up another Majesty-era track. And I can imagine that there might be a track or two that the guys had forgotten that they had played at some point in the past, thinking that they never played it (if Neil Peart can forget that Rush played Camera Eye before the 2010-2011 tour, so can the guys in DT).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 11:17:07 AM »
Petrucci has said "Along for the Ride" was inspired by the Boston Marathon attacks, so maybe the band is planning a special tribute or fundraiser for Boston.
This.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »

is SDV.

I recall reading that MP had planned to include You or Me in the next tour, so it's quite possible that this could be one of the tracks. It is also possible (tho unlikely) that maybe they'll dig up another Majesty-era track. And I can imagine that there might be a track or two that the guys had forgotten that they had played at some point in the past, thinking that they never played it (if Neil Peart can forget that Rush played Camera Eye before the 2010-2011 tour, so can the guys in DT).

It's been 10 years since they played ACOS, maybe they forgot they played it.   ;D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »
I recall reading that MP had planned to include You or Me in the next tour

For reals?

I can dig it
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »

Was he speaking to Mangini when he said that ?   

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »

For reals?

I can dig it

I would have approved with enthusiasm.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »

is SDV.

A Vision, one verse, one chorus, and then an extended guitar solo, instead of the rubato solo they played the last tour.

And I guess by saying they'll play some stuff they've never done, they were exaccerating. I guess they meant 'things we haven't played in a while'. Which would mean ACOS.  :D
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »

:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
I have a feeling they're not going to play You or Me... but if they do, I'll get a good laugh :lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:37:58 PM by ? »

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »

:clap:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
Transatlantic Euro tour ends March 15th.  Perhaps MP back for The Best of Times, and/or AA Suite in it's entirety?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
Transatlantic Euro tour ends March 15th.  Perhaps MP back for The Best of Times, and/or AA Suite in it's entirety?

I guess not
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »
and/or AA Suite in it's entirety?

If that happens I might walk out.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »

I guess not

with The Winery Dogs:
March 25th - New York City, NY - BB Kings 

source - https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2873066.aspx

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »
and/or AA Suite in it's entirety?

...and get a drink?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »

I guess not

with The Winery Dogs:
March 25th - New York City, NY - BB Kings 

source - https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/m2873066.aspx

-Marc.

that solves that.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2014, 01:15:27 PM »

If that happened, and I were Mangini, I might walk out (of the band). Sheesh. What could be more insulting then for DT to go into Mangini's hometown and play over an hour of music with the former drummer on stage instead of him?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:22:47 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »
Since Berklee is in Boston, maybe they will bring Eren and a string quartet to play the string section of IT, rather than doing whatever they have planned for the rest of the tour.

I have  a feeling that you are right
I was thinking the same thing.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios