Author Topic: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread  (Read 144245 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Black Sabbath Discussion Thread
« Reply #1085 on: July 10, 2022, 04:08:39 PM »
Just ran the ranker. Gotta make an adjustment or two.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1086 on: July 10, 2022, 04:10:25 PM »
I'd be intrigued on the splits I'd end up with also.  Not sure I'll bother doing it unless we are doing a countdown though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1087 on: July 10, 2022, 04:11:27 PM »
I guess I got too curious myself, and since we were all kind of talking about, I figured I'd bang it out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: July 10, 2022, 04:19:14 PM »
I might next weekend if I get some time.  I am kinda curious.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1089 on: July 10, 2022, 05:36:31 PM »
Today would have been Dio's 80th birthday, and I did an interview with Vinnie Appice to discuss his legacy. There are tons of Sabbath information throughout the interview. Hope you like it:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-vinnie-appice/

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1090 on: July 10, 2022, 05:44:07 PM »
Final Breakdown:

Ozzy-21
Dio-16
Gillan-3
Hughes-2
Martin-8

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1091 on: July 10, 2022, 06:21:32 PM »
Born Again is fucking incredible.  A couple of songs from it would make my list too.

Trashed, Digital Bitch, Disturbing The Priest.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1092 on: July 10, 2022, 06:28:25 PM »
Born Again is fucking incredible.  A couple of songs from it would make my list too.

Disturbing The Priest, Zero The Hero, and Born Again made it.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1093 on: July 10, 2022, 06:40:36 PM »

Iommi says he's going to remix it. That would be great. Its too shrieky.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1094 on: July 10, 2022, 06:42:58 PM »
Disturbing The Priest made my Black Sabbath Top 10, but that album is way short on material IMO.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: July 10, 2022, 07:08:41 PM »
No way, Born again is outstanding  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1096 on: July 10, 2022, 07:09:08 PM »
No way, Born again is outstanding  :metal

Yeah, an outstanding EP.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: July 10, 2022, 07:10:09 PM »
 :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1098 on: July 10, 2022, 07:40:13 PM »

Possibly the same 3 for me just eyeballing.  The title track would do well for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1099 on: July 11, 2022, 06:31:54 AM »

I'm a big fan of that album too (though I agree that in modern terms, it's an EP). 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: July 11, 2022, 06:58:25 AM »

I'm a big fan of that album too (though I agree that in modern terms, it's an EP).

Couldn't most albums of that time be considered an EP then?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1101 on: July 11, 2022, 07:28:34 AM »

Um… in 1983 it was an EP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1102 on: July 11, 2022, 08:35:45 AM »
Born again is longer than most KISS, Aerosmith and Gentle Giant albums from the previous decade. 40 minutes was still a normal length album in the 80s as far as I know. It might only have seven song when you exclude the instrumentals, but then again, so does Moving pictures and it's not an EP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: July 11, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »
Born again is longer than most KISS, Aerosmith and Gentle Giant albums from the previous decade. 40 minutes was still a normal length album in the 80s as far as I know. It might only have seven song when you exclude the instrumentals, but then again, so does Moving pictures and it's not an EP.

It definitely is longer than the early Kiss records, or the Van Halen records, as well.  Even without the instrumentals, it's still 38:05. Hell, compare it to Masters of Reality, which is 34+ minutes long, with two instrumentals, and 32:30 without them.  THAT'S even shorter.  So it's not about "time" necessarily; it just FEELS like an EP.   It feels a little dashed off.  And that's not to say I don't like it; it's actually one of my favorite Sabbath records, but it is what it is.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1104 on: July 11, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »

Couldn't most albums of that time be considered an EP then?

Born Again:  40:43

Van Halen:  35:34
Van Halen II:  31:36
Women and Children First:  33:35
Fair Warning:  31:11
Diver Down:  31:04
Total:  163:00 (146:15 if you don't include cover songs)

Every album in Rush's run from the debut through Moving Pictures (except for Caress of Steel) was also shorter than Born Again.

Born again is longer than most KISS, Aerosmith and Gentle Giant albums from the previous decade. 40 minutes was still a normal length album in the 80s as far as I know.

Yup.  20 minutes (give or take) per album side was standard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1105 on: July 11, 2022, 11:36:02 AM »
I just remastered Born Again from the original release. It sounds better but not incredible. I only did the 7 songs leaving off Stonehenge and The Dark which are pointless and its still 38 minutes. The songs are excellent!

Most 80's albums were under 45 minutes. I remember making tapes from my records to play in the car or my walkman and a 90 minute tape was able to hold an album on each side. Not every album but most.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1106 on: July 11, 2022, 02:21:40 PM »
Guys, I am well aware of the time lengths of all of the albums listed. I am a Fogey, remember.

I am mostly talking about the quality of the tunes on Born Again, which I think is kind of an iffy album at best. Feels thrown together. Such a wasted opportunity.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: July 11, 2022, 02:52:00 PM »
Guys, I am well aware of the time lengths of all of the albums listed. I am a Fogey, remember.

I am mostly talking about the quality of the tunes on Born Again, which I think is kind of an iffy album at best. Feels thrown together. Such a wasted opportunity.

I said the same thing.  I think you and I are in the same boat here.  I think I like it more than you do, though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1108 on: July 11, 2022, 03:36:55 PM »
I remember making tapes from my records to play in the car or my walkman and a 90 minute tape was able to hold an album on each side. Not every album but most.

I remember having to split Suite Sister Mary between two sides in order to get Operation: Mindcrime to fit on a 60-minute cassette.  Fortunately, I had a tape deck that allowed me to fade out and fade in so that it sounded somewhat professional.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 03:44:35 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1109 on: July 11, 2022, 03:59:57 PM »
I remember making tapes from my records to play in the car or my walkman and a 90 minute tape was able to hold an album on each side. Not every album but most.

I remember having to split Suite Sister Mary between two sides in order to get Operation: Mindcrime to fit on a 60-minute cassette.  Fortunately, I had a tape deck that allowed me to fade out and fade in so that it sounded somewhat professional.

Dude! That is classic shit! Ive been there but it would stop abruptly and restart on the other side. The struggle was real but we made it work!!!!  :metal :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1110 on: July 11, 2022, 07:43:18 PM »
To this day, I still half expect the fade-out when listening to that song.   :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1111 on: July 11, 2022, 08:30:32 PM »
To this day, I still half expect the fade-out when listening to that song.   :lol

Of course you would, I totally get it. I taped Diary of A Madman from my LP that skipped on the guitar solo of Over The Mountain and to this day I'm used to the solo missing a note and it didn't sound right for a while when I got the CD.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1112 on: November 02, 2022, 07:41:10 PM »
So, I have talked about missing out on the Tony Martin Era in real time. I just thought it was a complete joke to call the band Black Sabbath, and I took it as an insult as a fan.

After the very mediocre Born Again, which I consider nothing more than a glorified EP with two good songs and a couple more OK ones, "Black Sabbath" released Seventh Star with Glenn Hughes on vocals.
I bought it when it came out, but I didn't think it was very good, and I felt ripped off.

I actually listened to Seventh Star this week, and yup...it still kind of blows.

So when "Black Sabbath" emerged with yet a third vocalist in as many albums since Dio left, I ignored it. At least I was familiar with Glenn Hughes.

And that's why I never gave the Tony Martin Era a chance.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1113 on: November 02, 2022, 10:58:28 PM »
So, I have talked about missing out on the Tony Martin Era in real time. I just thought it was a complete joke to call the band Black Sabbath, and I took it as an insult as a fan.

After the very mediocre Born Again, which I consider nothing more than a glorified EP with two good songs and a couple more OK ones, "Black Sabbath" released Seventh Star with Glenn Hughes on vocals.
I bought it when it came out, but I didn't think it was very good, and I felt ripped off.

I actually listened to Seventh Star this week, and yup...it still kind of blows.

So when "Black Sabbath" emerged with yet a third vocalist in as many albums since Dio left, I ignored it. At least I was familiar with Glenn Hughes.

And that's why I never gave the Tony Martin Era a chance.
So, yeah. You fucked up. Is there a point to your post?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1114 on: November 03, 2022, 03:42:15 AM »
Well, I guess that I came to realize that the sucky Seventh Star really impacted how I viewed the next “Black Sabbath”.  It wasn’t just a straight out dismissal of the Martin Era on its face, but more of a culmination of how I felt about the two previous albums.

Just musing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: November 03, 2022, 04:11:01 AM »
But why didn't you at least give Eternal Idol a chance when it came out?

Seventh Star would have worked much better if the record company let Tony have it as a solo album like he wanted.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1116 on: November 03, 2022, 04:17:25 AM »
Seventh Star would have worked much better if the record company let Tony have it as a solo album like he wanted.

Exactly. Seventh Star sucks as a Black Sabbath album because it was never meant to be a Sabbath album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: November 03, 2022, 04:26:55 AM »
I hated it at first, but it grew on me over time.  There's a few killer tunes on there.  Danger Zone particularly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1118 on: November 03, 2022, 04:32:47 AM »

Exactly. Seventh Star sucks as a Black Sabbath album because it was never meant to be a Sabbath album.

It kind of sucks whatever name it would be under.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1119 on: November 03, 2022, 04:35:51 AM »
You say Born Again feels like an EP but Seventh Star always felt that way to me.  It's kind of only really 7 songs and most are very short.