Author Topic: Saga  (Read 1397 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Saga
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
I think I saw a music video for Saga on VH1 Classics and was a bit intrigued. So I have been listening to them a bit and wondered if anyone here was a fan? Thoughts on best songs, albums, etc?

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Saga
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
Saga is a great band.  Here in Canada, they are still played on a regular basis on classic rock radio.  Their most popular album is "Worlds Apart" as it contains their two most popular songs- this being "On the Loose" and "Wind him Up".  I have their best of album; "Defining Moments volume 1".  They are a great progressive classic rock band with some harder elements to them; check them out

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
Ah yes! On the Loose was what I saw on VH1 Classics.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »
I never got into this band. I listened to a couple of their albums but didn't really like it. Maybe you can recommend me some specific albums or tracks to listen as I might have listened to their weakest ones.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:59:07 PM »
"On the Loose" was an awesome song, and the video was pretty cool, too.

Saga is another one of those bands who aren't usually considered prog, but they had more going on musically than most pop bands, sometimes a lot more.  Just the idea behind The Chapters is so prog.

I had an old bootleg I found a lot time ago with them playing The Chapters back when there were only eight chapters.  Played the heck out of it.  I picked up the official Chapters Live with all 16 parts, and it's pretty cool.

I've wanted to get into them a little bit more, but it doesn't take very long for Michael Sadler's voice to start bothering me.  It's a great voice, but it seems somewhat limited and ends up making all their stuff sound the same.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
I never got into this band. I listened to a couple of their albums but didn't really like it. Maybe you can recommend me some specific albums or tracks to listen as I might have listened to their weakest ones.

I'm just getting into them as well, so I was hoping for some of the same information lol

Looks like Orbert gives recommendation on The Chapters. I can also see how his voice can get stale after awhile. There are definitely some songs that I didn't enjoy, but the guitars on others sound pretty cool.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
The Chapters Live release is pretty cool, and Trust was an excellent release in their more recent years.

Offline jsem

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:22:05 PM »
I appreciate Saga. Huge influence on of my favorite bands, A.C.T.

Saga is great.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »

Saga is great.

hmm I don't think I know A.C.T

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »
I love the Chapters.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:54:05 AM »
I've been wanting to get into them for quite a while now (since they're touring with Marillion during the autumn), but I never got round to get some of their albums (damn money issues :(). I've listened to a couple songs so far, and I like what I've heard, so I'll definitely revisit them again.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jsem

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 03:58:40 AM »

Saga is great.

hmm I don't think I know A.C.T
Check them out. Epic music.