Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 486026 times)

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1820 on: May 24, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »
HEY EVERYONE !! IT'S TIME FOR :

" What Would Dream Theater name their 13th album if it was a triple concept album ? "

Metropolis Part III : Scenes From A Trilogy :neverusethis:
Or, in the style of the most recent pages in this thread:

Metropolis part WDADU: Re-recordings from a Memory :neverusethis:
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1821 on: May 24, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »
Looks like I missed a lot of convo about rerecordings so I only one comment: Iced Earth. Perfect example of why you simply do not want to rerecord things just because you have a new lineup.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1822 on: May 24, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »
Looks like I missed a lot of convo about rerecordings so I only one comment: Iced Earth. Perfect example of why you simply do not want to rerecord things just because you have a new lineup.
For those of us who don't follow Iced Earth at all, care to give us the Cliff-notes version of why they are an example of why it's best not to re-record tracks because of a new lineup?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: May 25, 2015, 01:44:49 AM »
Can you imagine if Oasis re-formed without Noel and decided to re-record Definitely Maybe and Whats The Story Morning Glory with the new line up ?

I can't imagine those turning out very well.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1824 on: May 25, 2015, 01:59:51 AM »
Can you imagine if Oasis re-formed without Noel and decided to re-record Definitely Maybe and Whats The Story Morning Glory with the new line up ?

Well you can't polish a turd, as they say.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: May 25, 2015, 02:02:53 AM »
I've never tried. However i did used to polish my CDs back in the day and I swore it made them sound clearer :lol

I didn't know about digital. I was coming from the cassette era where tapes fade over time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1826 on: May 25, 2015, 04:45:47 AM »

Well you can't polish a turd, as they say.
Another reason to leave the Majesty Demos in the past.

Having said that, obviously some people really like them.

My point isn't "Why would the people who like them want to see them re-recorded" but rather "Why would the band want to such a thing?"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #1827 on: May 25, 2015, 07:26:57 AM »
I'm very excited. Just thinking what they've come up with. Hopefully something exciting. Like Dream Theater feat. Toehider.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1828 on: May 25, 2015, 08:52:02 AM »
For those of us who don't follow Iced Earth at all, care to give us the Cliff-notes version of why they are an example of why it's best not to re-record tracks because of a new lineup?

I for one think what Iced Earth did was the right way to rerecord.  They released a "greatest hits" of sorts and added some tracks with new drums and vocals.  The originals still exist and are readily accessible if you want to find them.  In fact, you would need to try harder to find the Days of Purgatory collection with the rerecorded songs. 

Iced Earth didn't do full rerecordings though.  They only wanted to fix the elements that they thought were poorly done the first time.  The vocals, which I think were fine the first time, were definitely more raw.  The original vocalist didn't have any formal training and had a more raspy tone with little melody.  They rerecorded it with Barlow that had an excellent range and skilled voice. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1829 on: May 25, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »
"Iced Earth wanted to redo the parts that were poorly done" ... so they did record the whole thing then?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline genome

« Reply #1830 on: May 25, 2015, 11:27:34 AM »
This has probably already been posted as the video is 3 weeks old, but sounds like a new riff right at the end of this interview with JP (10:35).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao9JIdNXJ5Q

If it is, we're in for a heavy album...

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1831 on: May 25, 2015, 11:47:03 AM »
hmmm, why I think I have heard that riff also on some his other PR videos... I might be wrong though.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1832 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »
This has probably already been posted as the video is 3 weeks old, but sounds like a new riff right at the end of this interview with JP (10:35).

On a related note, DAYUM those are some juicy pinch harmonics.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:41:55 PM by SuperTaco »
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1833 on: May 25, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
That's a good riff, but that sound is really... Not what I would call good.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1834 on: May 25, 2015, 12:50:30 PM »

I love that C tuning. I've been trying to learn some of DT's C-tuned songs lately (ITNOG, ANTR), and this gives me a little bit of hope that perhaps there's another long heavy epic coming. I wouldn't put too much stock into one riff, though :P It creates the opportunity to be let down.

On a related note, DAYUM those are some juicy pinch harmonics.

That's his seven-string in B actually, but you were very close! :P I do enjoy the C tuning though, especially at parts like the solos in ANTR, that tone is soo good!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1835 on: May 25, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »

Had the same reaction, totally. I wish he returned to his straightforward sound.

Totally random comment also, bummer he mispronounces piezo, given how he's been using it for the last 20 years or so.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1836 on: May 25, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »

That's his seven-string in B actually, but you were very close! :P I do enjoy the C tuning though, especially at parts like the solos in ANTR, that tone is soo good!

I just realized that xD I had my guitar tuned to B and I forgot.. anywho... moving on xD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1837 on: May 25, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »

Had the same reaction, totally. I wish he returned to his straightforward sound.

Totally random comment also, bummer he mispronounces piezo, given how he's been using it for the last 20 years or so.

Oh good, when I saw that I was wondering if I was mispronouncing it all this time, because I would expect that someone like JP would surely say it right.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: May 26, 2015, 03:21:37 AM »
Especially since he's part Italian. :P

Every time I watch a guitar video and someone says " PIE - zoh " I squirm.

It's like " Noter Dame " or " N Rowt " or " Van Go "

:|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTQv8RH1TE

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1839 on: May 26, 2015, 03:45:00 AM »
Pronouncing Van Gogh as 'Van Go' makes me cringe everytime  :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: May 26, 2015, 03:46:44 AM »
Is it pronounced Van Goff?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: May 26, 2015, 03:49:47 AM »
Is it pronounced Van Goff?

Apparently it's more gutteral than that like a clearing of the throat sound. Van Hocccchhhh . Like Klingon :p

Freedom Fries is the funniest one.

" :angry: You won't help us invade Iraq because you don't agree with our illegal war ? Well....wel'll call French Fries Freedom Fries from now on ! "

:biggrin:

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1842 on: May 26, 2015, 07:51:14 AM »
Yeah, the G is pronounced harsh. Goggggghhhh. Untill your throat bleeds...
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1843 on: May 26, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »

Well, it's a Greek word, but I know what you mean :lol
That said, I doubt he actually speaks any Italian. Other than a few culturally-inherited phrases and words.

Like Klingon :p

Funnily enough, Klingon's favorite dish, Gagh, gets very close in pronunciation to the word. Replace the "a" with an "o" sound, and you're there.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #1844 on: May 26, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »

Well, it's a Greek word, but I know what you mean :lol
That said, I doubt he actually speaks any Italian. Other than a few culturally-inherited phrases and words.
I think you are right. But I think he understands more than what he is able to articulate. This was my impression when I met him last year during the meet & greet here in Rome.
From Rome, with love.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1845 on: May 27, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »
You tried some italian with him? You were brave, I was afraid of wasting the few seconds of chat we had after the last two shows in Italy babbling some nonsensical words in a language incomprehensible to him. Which is why I just babbled some nonsensical words in my best excuse for the English language.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1846 on: May 27, 2015, 01:00:21 PM »
:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #1847 on: May 27, 2015, 02:59:48 PM »
You tried some italian with him? You were brave, I was afraid of wasting the few seconds of chat we had after the last two shows in Italy babbling some nonsensical words in a language incomprehensible to him. Which is why I just babbled some nonsensical words in my best excuse for the English language.
No, I talked in English with them, but other folks spoke in Italian to our 5 heroes (yes to JMX too but anyway his expression wouldn't change) and sometimes he gave me the impression to understand more than "ciao, grazie".

Anyway, it's 4 weeks now for their 1st show on the European Tour in Poland, and still not a word about the album, no rumors of any single release before the tour (I thought they were planning it but probably I was wrong), and... Where are they now? I cannot believe they're still in studio recording, they should be planning the 2015 setlist and presumibly starting rehearsals for the show...
I cannot see them improvising "well guys, what are we going to play tonight? Ideas?"
By the way, Wasteland, are you coming to Pistoia?
From Rome, with love.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1848 on: May 27, 2015, 03:39:27 PM »
1st Belarus now, im going on 4 DT shows on this summer, in polish magazine JP said that the album will be next year...

Offline Frank

« Reply #1849 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
1st Belarus now, im going on 4 DT shows on this summer, in polish magazine JP said that the album will be next year...

Source?
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1850 on: May 27, 2015, 07:21:10 PM »

Latest issue

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #1851 on: May 27, 2015, 07:35:23 PM »
Jordan said on his live seaboard class that he'll still be doing some touchs on his keyboard parts with the seaboard on DT's new album, at the studio. Which means the album is not finished yet. Which means we ain't gonna get the same schedule as the last two in terms of months.  :P :-\
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1852 on: May 27, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »
That only makes me feel better about things, makes it feel less lile a corporate product.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1853 on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:43 PM »
Would love to hear something form a more credible source (no offense to a few words posted on a forum) about a release date. Would love to see something in 2015, which would be totally possible if they finished the album prior to their show obligations starting in July.

That only makes me feel better about things, makes it feel less lile a corporate product.
Since when has a Dream Theater been a corporate product? Since FII, at least.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 11:27:47 PM by ResultsMayVary »
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1854 on: May 28, 2015, 12:33:24 AM »
Not saying the albums themselves feel like corporate products, just that the process has felt very machine-like for the past few years. If that means we get a new album every other year, then fine. But I'm all for a more organic schedule. Plus, this makes it feel like they're taking their time to craft something special. We'll have to wait and see if that's the case, but for what it's worth, 'album not until next year' gives me a good feeling.