Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 486013 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1330 on: April 13, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »
In 2011 they played OTBOA during the summer tour, though that might have only been to make Mangini a little more comfortable by giving him one of "his" songs to play.
While the full album had not been released yet, OtBoA had been released to the public as the lead-off single, so that's why it was played on that warm-up/opening leg of the tour. It had nothing to do with making MM more comfortable, nor was the band previewing a new song that had not been released yet.

How dare a person join a band and then is forced to play their back catalog!!  It's so uncomfortable!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1331 on: April 13, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »
This is just me spitballing, but it would seem to me that they either release a single *before* the European tour, or after it. I would think people would be miffed if halfway during the tour they start playing a new tune.
As Scotty said, likely they won't do anything until after the tour.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #1332 on: April 13, 2015, 12:32:14 PM »
I know they had already released the song. I was just saying that perhaps they released it that early so they could play it during the summer festivals. And I guess I shouldn't have said to make him more comfortable. Just to give him a chance to show the audience what DT sounds like with Mangini's fills and style.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1333 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »
Can you imagine them introducing something as "A New Song" and then they break out in to like PMU or something. lol
They already did that with OtBoA on the opening leg of the Dramatic tour...    :omg:     :biggrin:

In 2011 they played OTBOA during the summer tour, though that might have only been to make Mangini a little more comfortable by giving him one of "his" songs to play.
While the full album had not been released yet, OtBoA had been released to the public as the lead-off single, so that's why it was played on that warm-up/opening leg of the tour. It had nothing to do with making MM more comfortable, nor was the band previewing a new song that had not been released yet.
How dare a person join a band and then is forced to play their back catalog!!  It's so uncomfortable!
I know! And to think those scumbags did that to both Derek and JR when they joined the band, not even playing *any* songs they were involved in at their respective first shows!! Jerks!   :biggrin:

This is just me spitballing,
Don't be doing that here son, or I'll have to send you to the principal's office!!!

but it would seem to me that they either release a single *before* the European tour, or after it. I would think people would be miffed if halfway during the tour they start playing a new tune.
There's no way they'd start playing a new song midway thru the tour unless the album was released at that time, which is exactly what happened on the opening/warm-up leg of the Black Clouds tour. BCaSL was released midway into that leg of the tour, and at that point MP started including not only ARoP, but also ANtR in the set.

I know they had already released the song. I was just saying that perhaps they released it that early so they could play it during the summer festivals. And I guess I shouldn't have said to make him more comfortable. Just to give him a chance to show the audience what DT sounds like with Mangini's fills and style.
Right, but the point that is being discussed is whether they would perform a song that has not yet been released on this upcoming summer run of shows in Europe - not anything to do with MM being more comfortable or showing the audience his style.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:41:49 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1334 on: April 13, 2015, 01:50:09 PM »
Can you imagine them introducing something as "A New Song" and then they break out in to like PMU or something. lol
They already did that with OtBoA on the opening leg of the Dramatic tour...    :omg:     :biggrin:

Damnit I was going to make that joke but you already beat me to it
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Calvin6s

« Reply #1335 on: April 13, 2015, 03:34:21 PM »

Damnit I was going to make that joke but you already beat me to it

Standing on the backs of old songs, watch us recreate

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1336 on: April 13, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
:clap:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2015, 03:51:08 PM »
 :lol

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #1338 on: April 14, 2015, 02:31:00 AM »
Didn't that Guitar World (I  think that's the name of the magazine?) article with JP mention the album is due September? Assuming that's factual, which it may not, I don't think they'd wait until after July to say anything about it. The Enemy Inside wasn't released until August, so the single may wait until after the festival shows, but if the album's coming in September, I'd assume some info will be released between June and July.

If it's planned on being released between October and December, then I'd assume they'll wait till after the festival dates.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1339 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
Somewhat related to your post, Kotow, but I find just about every new instrument he's showcased in the last 5 years sounds the same. He posted a video the other day with a "Linnstrument" but frankly I can't tell the difference to the Continuum, or the Seaboard, or whatever.

I just watched the most recemt vid today.  The differenve in the Linnstrument is not the sound but the design, which allows the player to go uo and down octaves by just going up and down the board.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #1340 on: April 16, 2015, 11:23:53 PM »
We got an album teaser / announcement in June last time around, did we not?

Then a single before the festival shows? (I'm not too sure on this one) But september still seems plausible!
May The Force Be With You.

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: April 17, 2015, 01:53:00 AM »
I was at the Musikmesse yesterday. Early in the morning we went to the CME stand in order to see Jordans performance. He was a bit early so my friend and I had a short but very nice chat with him. I ask him how things are developing in the studio - of course he answered that everything is perfect. They have been writing music for one month now, now they are tracking the music. I told him with a twinkle in the eye that I know he is here just to tell me everything about the new album and that I want to share this information here on the DTF forum. We laughed about that and of course he replied that he will not give me any information - however after I asked if it will be a concept album? I know that he refused to give any information - however, the situation was really relaxed and we had a good laugh so I kept on asking.

He just smiled and said something like this "it will something a bit different..." - and I replied: So it will be a concept album? He replied with a huge smile that a concept album would not be anything different!! What was clear is that I would not read too much into this. I think that due to the mimics of him my questions remained completely unanswered. But what I read from his reaction was a huge satisfaction about the development and the progress of DT13.

After his performance on the CME keyboard we were able to talk to him again, there were not many people around - like 12-15 or something... We told him that we released a well-perceived prog CD under the name P.A.W.N. - The Gift of Awareness last year and that eventhough he - of course - did not play on it, nevertheless somehow he "appears" on it, due to the fact that DT and especially Jordan and his playing has such a huge impact on our writing and playing. He was really happy about what we said. We gave him a CD and he signed two for us. Such a nice and humble guy!

Later we saw him performing on the seaboard, which was amazing. I recorded like 20 minutes of that and will upload it on youtube later.

I thought to share this here in this thread since we talked about the album and I am not sure if the information that they have been busy writing for one month and now they moved forward to tracking has been posted here before.

Eventhough I followed everything they did since 1996 I am not sure about the writing time of 1 month... Is that long for their standards? How long did the writing for DT12 last?

Please apologize for my mediocre English...

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:02:01 AM by thedrumanimal »

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: April 17, 2015, 03:57:16 AM »
Great, cool story bro! :tup so great that you got to talk with him. Weird that no more people were there!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1343 on: April 17, 2015, 04:00:27 AM »
Great! I wonder what he meant about it being a bit different... :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1344 on: April 17, 2015, 04:08:30 AM »

Dream Theater: Duets

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #1345 on: April 17, 2015, 08:11:05 AM »
I, for one, am looking forward to the JM and JLB duet.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1346 on: April 17, 2015, 08:39:07 AM »

DT: Acapella
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: April 17, 2015, 09:16:04 AM »
They entered the studio 2.5 months ago and only started writing a month ago? I wonder what they were doing for a month and a half.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1348 on: April 17, 2015, 09:17:46 AM »

DT: Acapella

Dream Theater with Haken influence? Wouldn't be the first time DT takes inspiration from more contemporary bands. :tup

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1349 on: April 17, 2015, 09:24:35 AM »
They entered the studio 2.5 months ago and only started writing a month ago? I wonder what they were doing for a month and a half.

Trying to find the right sweet to describe the tone JP wants...

Cobbler?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline thedrumanimal

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: April 17, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
Here is the video of Jordan demonstrating the Seaboard and jamming with Marco Parisi and Elijah Woods.

https://youtu.be/QZYdOa6pmqI

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1351 on: April 17, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
Working on a coffee order.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1352 on: April 17, 2015, 11:23:44 AM »
Working on a coffee order.

Nobody can order a coffee anymore with just cream and sugar. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1353 on: April 17, 2015, 12:27:41 PM »
Maybe they were waiting for MM with his snow situation?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1354 on: April 17, 2015, 12:42:33 PM »
Here is the video of Jordan demonstrating the Seaboard and jamming with Marco Parisi and Elijah Woods.

The poor guy's name is Elijah Wood? Oh man.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1355 on: April 17, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »

The poor guy's name is Elijah Wood? Oh man.

For a good solid minute I tried to make out if that was THE Frodo Baggins.   The mind plays tricks on you when you're going on...60 hours with no sleep. 

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1356 on: April 17, 2015, 04:22:46 PM »

For a good solid minute I tried to make out if that was THE Frodo Baggins.   The mind plays tricks on you when you're going on...60 hours with no sleep.

I have no idea why you're doing that, but I couldn't even make 24 probably.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1357 on: April 17, 2015, 10:22:47 PM »

I have no idea why you're doing that, but I couldn't even make 24 probably.

I work the night shift.  Normally I can come home and sleep for at least a few hours. However, I've had things going on during the day so I haven't been able to sleep.  I fell asleep a little while ago for two hours.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: April 18, 2015, 01:43:11 AM »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1359 on: April 18, 2015, 01:46:30 AM »
He looks like he's holding very hard his breath!  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1360 on: April 18, 2015, 06:47:47 AM »
As buff as ever :P It's also the first studio picture I've seen in a while that doesn't have tons of image editing stuff all over it.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1361 on: April 18, 2015, 06:56:26 AM »
Gimme just one of those guitars and I'm a happy man!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Cable

---

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: April 18, 2015, 09:20:15 AM »
Forever, and ever, and ever...  :rollin

Dear god, they look the same  :o
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: April 18, 2015, 09:26:51 AM »
Throw in some Tom Araya as well.