Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 486031 times)

Calvin6s

Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #980 on: March 13, 2015, 09:30:58 PM »
Anna Lee Pt. 2: Analy

Anna Lee Pt. 2:  Welcome to Prison

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #981 on: March 14, 2015, 09:54:59 AM »
JR appears to be in Arizona.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #982 on: March 14, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Initiate stalking mode

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #983 on: March 14, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #984 on: March 15, 2015, 05:25:30 AM »
He also doubles lots of parts with acoustic, for texture.
His clean/acoustic lines are one of my favorite things about his style, specifically on WDADU and I&W.
Oh yeah, I love it when he does that on songs like Afterlife and Another Day. :heart
I'm wondering if JP had an accident or something and is hiding his face until it has healed.
Maybe he's still bummed from finding out that he was the one who was actually the killing hand?
He'll never get rid of the beard, because he's Scarred for life. :neverusethis:

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #985 on: March 15, 2015, 07:23:09 AM »
Ha
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #986 on: March 16, 2015, 06:49:14 AM »
Vacation is now over apparently.

Offline Yazman

« Reply #987 on: March 17, 2015, 12:51:26 AM »
Octavarium Pt. II: Hexadecatarium!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #988 on: March 17, 2015, 08:15:07 AM »

But that would be 16 and this is the 13th album. 

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:19:33 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #989 on: March 17, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »

But that would be 16 and this is the 13th album.

5+8 = 13

NUGGETZ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #990 on: March 17, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
I'm wondering if JP had an accident or something and is hiding his face until it has healed.

Maybe he's still bummed from finding out that he was the one who was actually the killing hand?

He needs to find the shaving hand.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #991 on: March 17, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
Following on from the discussion about JPs guitar tone, I'm sure he has said in a a few interviews now that when it comes to recording (particularly rhythm tracks) that he plugs straight in to his amp.

And for the guy who said "remember when you could just plug a gibson or a strat into a marshall and get a great tone?" - yup I do. Marshall is one thing, but give me a Musicman over a strat or Gibson any day. Gibsons are horrendously over priced average guitars.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #992 on: March 17, 2015, 10:20:09 AM »
^ that is a little too generalising. While I agree with you somewhat (I don't like Gibson guitars a lot either), it's not that all their guitars are bad. The quality differences between the same models are way too high. There are Gibsons that work beautifully and the next guitar from the same model can be a total clunker. On a guitar-to-guitar basis, at least in my experience, Gibson's quality is not very consistent.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #993 on: March 17, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »
^ that is a little too generalising. While I agree with you somewhat (I don't like Gibson guitars a lot either), it's not that all their guitars are bad. The quality differences between the same models are way too high. There are Gibsons that work beautifully and the next guitar from the same model can be a total clunker. On a guitar-to-guitar basis, at least in my experience, Gibson's quality is not very consistent.

You're buying a name, that's why.  They don't all have to be perfect sounding.  As long as that Gibson name is on there, people will buy it regardless. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #994 on: March 17, 2015, 10:37:54 AM »

This forum's discussion has reached tabloid magazine levels.  (There's nothing else to talk about though, so I can't blame anyone)
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #995 on: March 17, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
It is such a shame that they can't just grab a camera and share a video here and there. Steven Wilson's HCE studio vignettes added so much to the excitement about the album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #996 on: March 17, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »
It is such a shame that they can't just grab a camera and share a video here and there. Steven Wilson's HCE studio vignettes added so much to the excitement about the album.

They sure did.  The 6 Degrees shorts got all of us riled up.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #997 on: March 17, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »

This forum's discussion has reached tabloid magazine levels.  (There's nothing else to talk about though, so I can't blame anyone)
Not sure I would relate it to tabloids.  They tend to give information that the celeb in question didn't volunteer.

JR posted this on his facebook page.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #998 on: March 17, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »
This thread is more like a DT TMZ.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #999 on: March 17, 2015, 10:59:46 AM »

They sure did.  The 6 Degrees shorts got all of us riled up.

All of the more recent MP era albums were like that.  I still watch the Bear Tracks studio visits from Metropolis 2.  I love the behind the scenes stuff when MP was at the helm.  As a super fan, my appetite was constantly fulfilled.  Now, not so much.  We were basically spoiled as fans for the longest time and  I think that's what is happening here.  I wish we still had the YJR releases coming out.  Who knows what MP has in that vault of his! 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1000 on: March 17, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
This thread is more like a DT TMZ.

I admit, I stop and watch TMZ if I like the celeb.  More for them mocking each other though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1001 on: March 17, 2015, 11:34:24 AM »
Who knows what MP has in that vault of his!
Probably everything, and then some! I wouldn't be surprised if he has every single take of every instrument from all of the DT albums he was involved with, never mind all the jams and other things he recorded during the writing sessions that served as a basis for many songs and lots of parts that were left on the cutting room floor. I'd love to spend a year just going thru and cataloging everything in his vault.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1002 on: March 17, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
Probably everything, and then some! I wouldn't be surprised if he has every single take of every instrument from all of the DT albums he was involved with, never mind all the jams and other things he recorded during the writing sessions that served as a basis for many songs and lots of parts that were left on the cutting room floor. I'd love to spend a year just going thru and cataloging everything in his vault.

Seriously!  I remember reading in an old interview that he said he tapes every moment that DT are in the studio.  Imagine the box set he could put out if he did it by album.  I am almost positive The Beatles have released such box sets. 

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1003 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:13 AM »
I would've love to have seen the bootleg live DVD of the BC&SL tour that never saw the light of day.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1004 on: March 17, 2015, 12:05:16 PM »
I would've love to have seen the bootleg live DVD of the BC&SL tour that never saw the light of day.

I have two DVD boots from that tour.  One from the Kaliakra Rock Fest in Bulgaria and another from Brazil, the Kaliakra show being the better of the two in my opinion, which is a 2 DVD set.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1005 on: March 17, 2015, 12:17:50 PM »
Typical shaky hand holding a cell phone types, complete with muffled sound and black screen every so often when security comes by?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1006 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »
Typical shaky hand holding a cell phone types, complete with muffled sound and black screen every so often when security comes by?

The Kailakra boot is steady throughout. I haven't watched the whole thing from start to finish, but after skipping around a bit I am not sure there are many close-ups. The picture is really clear though.  The Brazil boot is done with a handheld and is a  bit shaky at times but it has more close-ups.  Neither are ideal for a professional release but it's better than having nothing at all.  I'll take a crappy quality boot of some of the rarer Dream Theater shows over nothing at all any day.

Calvin6s

« Reply #1007 on: March 17, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
Since we are on bootlegs, it would be cool to have video of just the best version of each DT song rolled up into a few DVDs/BluRays.

Best just meaning a subjective opinion weighing Audio/Video quality, video angle(s) of there most unique performance of each song.
So just have a WDADU+I&W DVD of the best live versions of each song out there.  That means Pull Me Under could be 1993 San Francisco and Another Day could be 2013 Thailand.

I spent more time collecting / cataloging my bootlegs than watching / listening / simply enjoying them.   So I'd probably be excited getting into Portnoy's vault for a few hours, then I'd probably start to lose interest.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »
Following on from the discussion about JPs guitar tone, I'm sure he has said in a a few interviews now that when it comes to recording (particularly rhythm tracks) that he plugs straight in to his amp.

And for the guy who said "remember when you could just plug a gibson or a strat into a marshall and get a great tone?" - yup I do. Marshall is one thing, but give me a Musicman over a strat or Gibson any day. Gibsons are horrendously over priced average guitars.

Poor Hetfield, he never realized he had such an awful rhythm tone back in the 80s . . .  :'(

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
I somewhat agree with the notion that, for their sound, Gibsons are heavily overpriced. They were kinda the original Apple product, where the image of having one heavily drove up the price.
And I also agree that while Strats can sound amazing, they can also sound like total ass.
Regarding MusicMans, they are very versatile in their sound, but at the same time they're master of none (and this is coming from an owner of a MusicMan).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1010 on: March 17, 2015, 02:52:41 PM »
Weren't two of the songs broadcast somewhere?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1011 on: March 17, 2015, 03:00:58 PM »
Another Day could be 2013 Thailand

But the problem with having the best version of Another Day is that what you are stuck with is a version of Another Day.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1012 on: March 17, 2015, 03:12:46 PM »
Knock it off, Bosk! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1013 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28:12 PM »

Well, why don't you?  You're friends, right?  Give him a call and tell him you'll be over in a week.  If everyone on this forum chipped in a dollar, we could donate in upwards of 100 dollars to supply you with gas or food (take your pick, you don't get both) and you could give us a full report. 

Everybody in?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1014 on: March 17, 2015, 03:33:48 PM »
Another Day could be 2013 Thailand

How can that be AD's best performance when the band didn't even tour in 2013? In this half decade (10-15) Another Day has only been performed once, in Austin on the 20th anniversary of the release of Images And Words (7/7/12).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco