Author Topic: Van Halen appreciation thread  (Read 23549 times)

Offline lightningbolt

Re: Van Halen appreciation thread
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2023, 10:20:16 AM »
It took awhile to warm up to the "Tattoo" song.  But after that track, ADKOT was pretty kick ass.  Not sure how many songs were from the 70's, but it was a much better album than I expected.  Haven't played it in quite some time though.

Off the top of my head 6 or 7 are from the 70's and "Blood and Fire" is from Ed's "Ripley" instrumental from 1984.  Hey, whatever, it ended up being a great idea.  Besides, CVH always revisited/reworked older material.  For example, House of Pain on 1984 dates back to the mid 70's.

My favorites are She's the Woman (probably my #1 from ADKOT), You and Your Blues, Blood and Fire, As Is, Honeybabysweetiedoll, and Outta Space.  Least, but still enjoyable, are Tattoo, Big River, and Beats Workin'.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2023, 10:55:38 AM »
Awesome thanks  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2023, 12:55:19 PM »
It took awhile to warm up to the "Tattoo" song.  But after that track, ADKOT was pretty kick ass.  Not sure how many songs were from the 70's, but it was a much better album than I expected.  Haven't played it in quite some time though.

Off the top of my head 6 or 7 are from the 70's and "Blood and Fire" is from Ed's "Ripley" instrumental from 1984.  Hey, whatever, it ended up being a great idea.  Besides, CVH always revisited/reworked older material.  For example, House of Pain on 1984 dates back to the mid 70's.

My favorites are She's the Woman (probably my #1 from ADKOT), You and Your Blues, Blood and Fire, As Is, Honeybabysweetiedoll, and Outta Space.  Least, but still enjoyable, are Tattoo, Big River, and Beats Workin'.

By my reckoning, you have it right.  And the upshot is, if you listen to the demos of the songs that originated early on, they do it in the same tempo and the same key.    And you're right; Ed did this their entire career.   By some accounts, a third of "Balance" was (musically) material that was around as far back as when Roth was in the band.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2023, 12:56:52 PM »
So, score one for Stadler!!! I have tickets to see Wolfie at Toad's Place in New Haven - a 700 seat club - with Nita Strauss opening up.  I am BEYOND pumped.   I've wanted to see Wolfie for a while (I LOVE the first album) but I'm not going to see him open a stadium show.  I was jealous of... I think it was Cram that saw him at a club in Los Angeles; this isn't quite the same, but close! 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2023, 01:06:50 PM »
So, score one for Stadler!!! I have tickets to see Wolfie at Toad's Place in New Haven - a 700 seat club - with Nita Strauss opening up.  I am BEYOND pumped.   I've wanted to see Wolfie for a while (I LOVE the first album) but I'm not going to see him open a stadium show.  I was jealous of... I think it was Cram that saw him at a club in Los Angeles; this isn't quite the same, but close!

I had tickets to see him at Whiskey A Go Go while I was on a business trip in LA but someone got covid or something and they postponed it to a time when I would not be in LA.  I sold it for a nice buck though.

I have seen Wolfie many times now though including on the first leg of the tour you are about to see just a few weeks ago.  He played locally at a 2k GA venue that was basically sold out.  He said it was his biggest headlining show to date (I have it on video, and you can see it in his eyes that I think he is telling the truth).  If you haven't checked it out yet, his second album is pretty good too.  I may like it more than the first.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2023, 01:30:21 PM »
I trust your judgment on that; I'll pick it up and give it a listen (I really liked the first one).   I haven't been this pumped for a new artist/band since Rival Sons.  And I'm really jazzed for Nita, after seeing Alice Cooper for the first time a couple weeks ago. She SLAYS.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2023, 01:40:36 PM »
Nice!  That should be a good show.

Although, if I'm being honest, I would be more excited to see Nita Strauss than Wolfie.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2023, 01:52:02 PM »
I thought Nita was a bit of a letdown IMO.  Of course she's amazing on guitar, but I didn't care for her singer that tours with her. Band was solid, and I even like some of her solo songs she did, but I just struggled to really enjoy it that night almost entirely because of the vocalist.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2024, 11:48:14 AM »
The next video will be with MP (Modern Drummer tribute to Alex VH):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ViAYK1BU0&t=197s
This one with Ray is amazing, specially for people that love OU812.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline frogprog

« Reply #289 on: January 09, 2024, 04:24:23 AM »
The video with Ray was great. He's a beast of a drummer and really broke down Al's parts in a way that was easy to follow along with. A lot of Al's parts/feel seem deceptively  easy...but they are not.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2024, 11:59:24 PM »
Dave doesn't care for Wolfie:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/david-lee-roth-wolfgang-van-halen-youtube-attacks-1234953442/

Shocker.

While I’ve seen DLR act like a pompous ass for the better part of the last 6 decades, he usually spins it in such a way that makes him appear to smell like a rose.

This is the first thing I’ve seen him do that is BLATANTLY on the “low road” side of the equation.

I’ve rolled my eyes at him plenty over the years, but this is the first time I’ve ever been seriously annoyed and disappointed with him.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #292 on: January 25, 2024, 07:53:22 AM »
I'm sure Wolfgang give a fuck what DLR thinks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: January 25, 2024, 08:24:49 AM »
I'm sure Wolfgang give a fuck what DLR thinks.

Wolfie is admittingly cordial with him, I agree.  I think Wolfie knows Dave well enough to know he's full of it.

Not that I'm saying DLR is wrong here, what do I know? Maybe Wolfie did have some lady accountants kicked out.  Either way, it's not really a good look for DLR to start talking about it now. 

He also was saying some crazy stuff about Sammy and aliens?  I didn't read that news last week, just brushed it off, but it makes me think DLR is losing it a bit more than we realized.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #294 on: January 26, 2024, 10:28:21 AM »
Happy Birthday, Ed. I'd like to think you are proudly smiling down on Wolf's success.

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #296 on: January 26, 2024, 01:18:56 PM »
It's free to me and I have never had a Rolling Stone account.

Anyway, Louder can give you the details.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/david-lee-roth-attack-wolfgang-van-halen
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Trav86

« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2024, 01:21:02 PM »
It's free to me and I have never had a Rolling Stone account.

Anyway, Louder can give you the details.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/david-lee-roth-attack-wolfgang-van-halen

The podcast he put out before that, blasting Sammy, Ed and Al was way worse. I mean…it was bad.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2024, 03:48:48 AM »
40-odd years of frustrations that he can talk openly about.
Get it all off his chest without having to be diplomatic.

I get it.

Online HOF

« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2024, 07:49:29 PM »
Heh, I really like this.

“If JUMP by Van Halen Was Written For Millennials (Acoustic Alt-Pop Indie Rock Cover)”

https://youtu.be/-aMTR2_u4Uo?si=oQ6o82GYuengEaoE

Offline jammindude

« Reply #300 on: February 18, 2024, 11:03:51 AM »
Heh, I really like this.

“If JUMP by Van Halen Was Written For Millennials (Acoustic Alt-Pop Indie Rock Cover)”

That is fantastic. I actually prefer that to the original.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline frogprog

« Reply #302 on: February 18, 2024, 01:18:06 PM »
VERY interesting

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: February 19, 2024, 09:06:22 AM »
I'm in.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #304 on: February 19, 2024, 09:13:19 AM »
VERY interesting
It'll certainly be that. No idea what else it'll be. The dude spent large parts of his career blackout drunk and almost completely incapable of functioning. He's also 100% loyal to his brother (and rightly so, if we're being honest), so we shouldn't be expecting much objectivity. But yeah, it'll be interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #305 on: February 19, 2024, 11:41:13 AM »
I expect it to be a very trashy piece of Eddie and Alex propaganda. Still interested though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #306 on: February 19, 2024, 12:07:47 PM »
I expect it to be a very trashy piece of Eddie and Alex propaganda. Still interested though.
I agree. Can't imagine much objectivity in this one.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #307 on: February 19, 2024, 12:08:13 PM »
I agree. Can't imagine much objectivity in this one.

Me three

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: February 19, 2024, 12:19:16 PM »
Are any of these "objective", though?  Is that why we're reading it?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #309 on: February 19, 2024, 12:56:07 PM »
Heh, I really like this.

Wow...that's awful.  The original isn't great, but it's fun, and this takes all the fun out of it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WardySI

« Reply #310 on: February 19, 2024, 03:48:00 PM »
Heh, I really like this.

Wow...that's awful.  The original isn't great, but it's fun, and this takes all the fun out of it.

Sure the original is very of its time but Millennials can keep this, I'll stick with the original thanks! :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #311 on: February 19, 2024, 03:56:00 PM »
Are any of these "objective", though?  Is that why we're reading it?
Well of course we want to hear a person's story when reading their biography, but as Mosh described it, when it's a propaganda piece, it's hard to believe any of it as truthful. Might as well read a fiction story instead. Of course, there will always be some measure of bias and it is from a person's specific perspective, but it would be easy for them to knowingly include fabricated or purposefully exaggerated stories and unless we know otherwise, have to take it at face value. Put it this way, I don't think he's ever released one, but if he has or if he ever does, I'd never bother reading a biography from DLR for that very reason. I'm sure there will be more accuracy in Alex's biography, but the question is how much?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #312 on: February 19, 2024, 04:22:28 PM »
If DLR ever wrote a biography, it would probably have to be released in 3 volumes.

Literally the only guy in rock history where Hit Parader magazine had to release a “double issue!!!” every time they interviewed him.

I will say that I always thought that his interviews made an entertaining read. Even though he could be long winded, he was never boring.  However I don’t think his schtick would carry an entire autobiography.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #313 on: February 19, 2024, 05:14:43 PM »
I was almost certain there was a DLR book called Crazy From the Heat. It might be kind of old though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #314 on: February 19, 2024, 07:17:58 PM »
Yep.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_from_the_Heat_(book)

Heh, I really like this.

I'm not entirely sure what band(s) he's trying to emulate here, I don't think bass solos are common anywhere in that orbit.  I enjoyed that addition to it though.  I like a lot of Melton's pop-punk and emo covers, making them generally much more listenable than the originals.  So I much prefer his voice to DLR's, but EVH's Oberheim synth intro, solo, and the guitar solo on the original are too iconic to be ignored.