Author Topic: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (I wanna hear you scream)  (Read 18596 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Like a heartbeat drives you mad)
« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2017, 06:37:59 AM »
Stevie was great. I enjoyed her solo career too. The duo with Tom Petty was fantastic.

That photo you chose, Kev... the way she's caressing the mic... while her lips lightly touch the tip... good thing it's not a Telefunkin U47!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (The man on the silver mountain)
« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »
I know it's sort of a cliché (it's the LONG SONG!) but his vocals on Stargazer are so integral to that song.  "Look, look, look... on the horizon"; every time I hear that, I picture him pointing and I feel I have to turn around and look, as if the rainbow will actually be there.   I was lucky enough to see him perform that live - one of his solo tours, opening for Maiden on a summer shed tour, early to mid 2000's - and it was as classic as it sounds.

Not sure if you saw the Lock Up the Wolves tour but he broke into Stargazer and I literally lost my mind.

I'll check; it was one of those later solo tours.  It was a triple bill:  Motorhead, Dio and Maiden, and it was a great show.  Not the best show I ever saw, but it was probably the best value for money.    Legend opening, legend following, and legends headlining!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »
I love Stevie Nicks, and I'm sorry, she's still good looking for her age (she's what, 70?)

Gold Dust Woman gets me every time:  "Rulers make bad lovers; better put your kingdom up for sale!"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2017, 07:05:08 AM »
As a teen I've never wanted to see a woman's legs more than Stevie's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2017, 12:00:09 PM »
Always really enjoyed her work in Fleetwood Mac, and I also really like the Buckingham Nicks album, but I never cared that much for the rest of her solo work.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2017, 05:55:41 PM »

That photo you chose, Kev... the way she's caressing the mic... while her lips lightly touch the tip... good thing it's not a Telefunkin U47!

:lol :lol :tup :tup

Gold Dust Woman gets me every time:  "Rulers make bad lovers; better put your kingdom up for sale!"

Yep, great tune.

As a teen I've never wanted to see a woman's legs more than Stevie's.

:coolio :hat

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »
I recall someone here calling her voice "Goaty," presumably to mean "sounding like a goat." Somehow I can agree with that statement, and still appreciate her singing. Though aside from a few FM gems, I prefer her vocals when sung with Lindsay.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
Stevie Nicks is all kinds of awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Sharp! Distance!)
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »
Only fitting to feature this man after last night...

Jon Anderson

Anderson's angelic voice is one of the most beautiful things the rock and roll genre has ever seen.  It has this otherworldly, ethereal quality to it that made Yes' songs, which were already dynamite musically, that much better and powerful.  Plus, his lyrics always has this kind of mystical quality, which came across as fascinating as heck when coming from his voice, even if they occasionally looked like pure gibberish on paper.  To me, the Mount Rushmore of classic prog conversation begins and ends with Jon Anderson.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2017, 07:33:50 AM »
Voice of an angel. One of my all time favorite singers.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »
He is the main reason why I cannot listen to Yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »

Sort of this. I can listen to it but the complete bollox he's singing puts me off more. I'm a casual Yes fan at best though.

Offline bundy

« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2017, 01:51:47 AM »
Voice of an angel. One of my all time favorite singers.

+1

While Anderson he rightly remember for his core role in Yes, lets not forget his work with Vangelis. The Jon and Vangelis albums Friends of Mr Cairo and Short Stories are essential IMHO if you're a Jon Anderson Fan and Private Collection is also very good. The Vangelis album Heaven and Hell features So Long Ago So Clear, my personal favourite of anything Anderson has done vocally, for me rivalled perhaps only by Soon and Wonderous Stories.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2017, 11:49:21 AM »
Not a fan either. In fact, I was perusing the Yes thread here, and while my knowledge of them is pretty limited, it seems like for a legendary and flagship band in the genre, they only have a couple stellar albums, and decades worth of material that is marginal at best and garbage at worst. True?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #260 on: April 09, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »
Not true.  Yes had four stellar albums in the early to mid 70s, all of which were integral in popularizing the subgenre now known as progressive rock (I do not believe it was called that at the time).  The fact that they have been a mess for much of the last 20 years doesn't erase what they did in their prime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: April 09, 2017, 11:21:48 PM »
How is that much different from what I said? I didn't say anything about their legacy, intentionally, as that cannot always be measured by volume. Hell, I love Floyd and The Who beyond words, and I think they only both put out 4 stellar albums. And they are as integral to the popularity of rock as anyone.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2017, 12:46:20 AM »
Yes' output is way more consistent than they get credit for. Their 4 best albums are really high up there, but it's not like the rest is throwaway. Lots of less talked about gems like Drama, Talk, and The Ladder. Even Fly From Here from 2011 was really good.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2017, 06:42:58 AM »
I love Yes, but the best I can say about Anderson's voice is, it fit some of the music. Mostly, I just found myself listening beyond Jon. I can't shake the feeling that he's got a big gob of mucus stuck in his throat. I always have to suppress an urge to clear mine when I listen to him sing.

His lyrics make an odd kind of sense if you just listen to them as words that are appropriate for the music. Tune out the message, is the best advise.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2017, 08:54:39 AM »
Not a fan either. In fact, I was perusing the Yes thread here, and while my knowledge of them is pretty limited, it seems like for a legendary and flagship band in the genre, they only have a couple stellar albums, and decades worth of material that is marginal at best and garbage at worst. True?

Not true, and even if it was (but it's not) they are SO big as to make it a moot point.  But few people realize that even in America, they were a STADIUM band (which for prog... neither Genesis, Crimson, or ELP were stadium level bands as headliners [ELP played stadia as openers a fair amount] during their heyday).   

I'm a huge fan.   I think his voice is unique and angelic, and it's one of the few cases where no one can really sing those songs like he can.   Starship Trooper, Your Is No Disgrace, And You and I...  magic.

Lyrics?  Well, I don't mind them, even like some of them (Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits you!) but it's not meant to be high philosophy.    I posted a thread at another site not long ago asking, "who was the greatest prophet of rock and roll?  Jon Anderson or Ronnie James Dio?"  Haha. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
Who cares about lyrics, really? If you wanna muse on what the words mean or whatever, poetry's probably more up your street than music. Lyrics are just words for a vocalist to add their melody to.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: April 11, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
Who cares about lyrics, really? If you wanna muse on what the words mean or whatever, poetry's probably more up your street than music.
HEAVILY disagree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #267 on: April 11, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
I'd say it's 70-30 in favour of music over lyrics in terms of importance.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #268 on: April 11, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
Lyrics are pretty damn important to me.

I mean, I can still listen to Rhapsody and Ayreon despite their awful lyrics, but I will always value a band like PoS much more because of their amazing lyrics.

It's like saying, who cares about notes and rhythm? It's just noise for the singer to put his poetry over.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: April 11, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
.  But few people realize that even in America, they were a STADIUM band (which for prog... neither Genesis, Crimson, or ELP were stadium level bands as headliners [ELP played stadia as

When did they play stadiums? I don't remember that. Do you mean arenas?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (Revolution...)
« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
Geoff Tate

Despite being a monster tool bag whose voice has deteriorated into something awful, we cannot forget how great a singer he was in his prime.  That kind of metal howling is rarely my thing, but he had a style and timbre that just made it sound great.  I always liked when he would go really low with the singing; he could hit it out of the park doing that kind of singing.  It is really is sad to see how far he has fallen, but we'll always have that decade plus (mid 80s to the mid 90s) when he was absolute money.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: April 11, 2017, 05:20:28 PM »
O:M is one of my three favorite vocal performances. Amazing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »
None for me.  I know their "classic" run of albums is held in high regard, but QR mostly never did it for me. 

I liked the Empire album OK, I guess.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #273 on: April 12, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »
I think the cracks were even evident on Promised Land. A shame. Nobody could touch him. But his career as a totality ends up being quite disappointing, no?
I look at James Labrie, and at least on the studio albums, he is still quite excellent, even though he can be iffy live.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: April 12, 2017, 07:48:05 AM »
Tate has been pretty decent live in recent months from what I have seen - quite a recovery in terms of his "ear".   He has certainly lost a fair bit in terms of range but him sounding poor is as much to do with the songs as his voice deteriorating IMO.   Some of the shite he has been singing since Promised Land would sound rubbish with anyone on vocals.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2017, 07:50:03 AM »
Does Australia have like an extra 12 hours per day than the rest of the world? Who has the extra time to sample current Geoff Tate??

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
.  But few people realize that even in America, they were a STADIUM band (which for prog... neither Genesis, Crimson, or ELP were stadium level bands as headliners [ELP played stadia as

'76, they were playing stadia.  There is a legendary boot of them at JFK in Philly, for example.   Yale Bowl in New Haven.  RFK in Washington.  It wasn't a pure stadium tour, like Buffet does - some markets were arenas - but still. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »

'76, they were playing stadia.  There is a legendary boot of them at JFK in Philly, for example.   Yale Bowl in New Haven.  RFK in Washington.  It wasn't a pure stadium tour, like Buffet does - some markets were arenas - but still.

OK. I would have had no idea. It is still hard to believe. Of course I wouldn't remember that anyway. A little before my time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2017, 05:11:28 PM »
I think the cracks were even evident on Promised Land. A shame. Nobody could touch him. But his career as a totality ends up being quite disappointing, no?
I look at James Labrie, and at least on the studio albums, he is still quite excellent, even though he can be iffy live.

That can certainly be argued, when you take into account that his professional singing career is now over 30 years and he has sucked ass for a pretty good percentage of it now.  Still, his prime really was something else.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Pop/Rock Singer of the Day thread (It's just a shot away!!)
« Reply #279 on: April 13, 2017, 05:26:40 PM »
Mick Jagger

While I would never call Jagger a great singer, he sang with a swagger and an attitude that made his vocal style pretty unique and certainly innovative in rock and roll history. I simply cannot imagine The Rolling Stones having had anyone else singing all of those songs.