Author Topic: Celebrity death thread  (Read 24819 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Celebrity death thread
« Reply #560 on: May 05, 2024, 11:54:26 AM »
Anyone else get really apprehensive anytime this thread is at the top of the page?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #561 on: May 05, 2024, 12:05:53 PM »
Anyone else get really apprehensive anytime this thread is at the top of the page?

Depends, when I saw it at the top I just knew it was about Bernard Hill.

Is there someone you're worried about? is it too morbid to suggest to make a top 5 list of famous people we're gonna be very sad when they'll die?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: May 05, 2024, 12:21:52 PM »

Is there someone you're worried about? is it too morbid to suggest to make a top 5 list of famous people we're gonna be very sad when they'll die?  :D

I was being a bit cheeky. But there is a genuine feeling of "oh no, who is it this time?" Seems like 4 out of 5 times I find out about a celeb's passing here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #563 on: May 05, 2024, 01:43:46 PM »
Seems like 4 out of 5 times I find out about a celeb's passing here.

Same, and half of those I don't even know. Like this guy. I've never seen Titanic and definitely never seen anything from Lord Of the Rings, though my son has the Titanic movie and he's watched it a few times.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #564 on: May 05, 2024, 03:03:30 PM »
Same, and half of those I don't even know. Like this guy. I've never seen Titanic and definitely never seen anything from Lord Of the Rings, though my son has the Titanic movie and he's watched it a few times.

No one is shocked, Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #565 on: May 05, 2024, 07:12:02 PM »

I mean...a LOT of musicians who are important to a lot of people here and/or who are musically significant have no statistical life-expectancy:  Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Ian Anderson, Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bob Dylan, etc.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #566 on: May 06, 2024, 07:42:49 AM »
I had this conversation with my step son over this past weekend. I think the Ozzy announcement is nearer rather than farther.

I think what I don't like - but I get it - is the overuse of "star" and "celebrity".   I get notices of "Star Wars star passes at 73" or whatever, and I see "star" and think "Harrison Ford"?   No, it's the guy that did the body control whatever you call it for the character that played the oboe in the Cantina band.  WTF?  "Star"?   I saw another one and it was "Founder of iconic rock band dies" (It was AC/DC) and it turns out it was the drummer.  Not Phil Rudd, who was credited on or appeared on all their releases up to Flick Of The Switch in '83.  Nor was it Tony Currenti, who played on the majority of the Australian release of High Voltage (as a session player) nor was it even Peter Clack, who was technically the "drummer" in AC/DC at the time (and who played on "Baby Please Don't Go" and appeared in at least one video). Nope, it was Colin Burgess (who?!?) who technically was the first drummer in AC/DC, albeit for three months in late '73, early '74 before being fired.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #567 on: May 06, 2024, 07:44:44 AM »
So you discovered clickbait  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: May 06, 2024, 07:47:45 AM »
So you discovered clickbait  ;D

Is that what it's called?  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #569 on: May 06, 2024, 11:18:40 AM »
I think what I don't like - but I get it - is the overuse of "star" and "celebrity".   I get notices of "Star Wars star passes at 73" or whatever, and I see "star" and think "Harrison Ford"?   No, it's the guy that did the body control whatever you call it for the character that played the oboe in the Cantina band.  WTF?  "Star"?   I saw another one and it was "Founder of iconic rock band dies" (It was AC/DC) and it turns out it was the drummer.  Not Phil Rudd, who was credited on or appeared on all their releases up to Flick Of The Switch in '83.  Nor was it Tony Currenti, who played on the majority of the Australian release of High Voltage (as a session player) nor was it even Peter Clack, who was technically the "drummer" in AC/DC at the time (and who played on "Baby Please Don't Go" and appeared in at least one video). Nope, it was Colin Burgess (who?!?) who technically was the first drummer in AC/DC, albeit for three months in late '73, early '74 before being fired.

This is why I don't like when bands celebrate anniversaries based on anything other than the release of their first album.  AFAIC, DT began with the release of WDADU in 1989, Iron Maiden began with the release of the first album in 1980, and Jeff Jones and Lindy Young don't count as members of Rush.

Also...what deal with what supernatural entity did Jimmy Carter make that he's still kicking around?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #570 on: May 06, 2024, 01:07:42 PM »
Also...what deal with what supernatural entity did Jimmy Carter make that he's still kicking around?!
He isn't looking so good these days though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: May 06, 2024, 01:11:08 PM »
Didn't he enter hospice like six months ago?  I thought that was the last stop on the mortal train; my dad went in to hospice and literally lasted two hours (no shit; he died in the transport on his way to hospice). 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #572 on: May 06, 2024, 01:47:50 PM »

https://news.northeastern.edu/2024/03/12/jimmy-carter-hospice-care/

He went into hospice care in February 2023.  Rosalynn died in November 2023 (at the age of 96!).

"According to the National Institutes of Health, more than 90% of patients who enter hospice care die within the first six months.  Roughly 36% of patients die within a week of entering hospice.  End-of-life advocates and experts cite Carter’s stay in hospice as having a positive impact on the discourse surrounding end-of-life care.  Northeastern University experts say many people put off hospice care until it’s too late."

Gee...I wonder why!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #573 on: May 06, 2024, 01:59:53 PM »

For 99, he ain't bad.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman